• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

netguy503

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t use my MoviePass to buy a ticket everyday just for the rewards points, even if I don’t plan on actually seeing the movie?

How do I do this? I usually have to be at the theater for the person behind the counter to scan my club card to register my points. If I didn't have to, I would do this every day. Thanks for the idea.

Yes. Dolby is a premium screening.

If the ticket is the same price as the screening you did 'check in' to on the app they'll never know.

Their data is so messed up here (so far) that sometimes Dolby Cinema and 2D IMAX are actually allowed on the app.

Atmos is always allowed here (no upcharge) and that's all I really care about anyway. Our Dolby Cinema auditorium here is messed up with red lighting that reflects off the screen during the film.

louiedog

It's absolutely terrible, probably even worse than you're imagining. Here is a pic from my local dine-in AMC (which I avoid like the plague).

Those table top lights are super distracting and there's a bunch of shit on the table (like laminated menus, ketchup bottles, etc) that reflects that light right into your eyes. There's a brightly lit red button that you press to get service. There's waiters walking all around and taking orders, and although they do their best to be quiet and discreet, the customers don't have that same courtesy. Lady sitting next to me made the waiter list their entire drink menu to her as the movie was playing - annoying.

And basically in the final 20 minutes or so of the movie, the waiters are coming back and forth with checks and collecting payments etc. Ruins the whole movie experience.

Damn. That's really bad. I can't see any hint of the under table lights at my Drafthouse while watching the movie unless i turn my head from the screen and look up and down my row. I don't even notice the ones at my own table unless I look down at my lap.

If I'm buying more than one ticket, can I just give them my movie pass debit card, and a second card just to pay the difference on the second ticket? Or is this against tos?

TI82

Banned
So here's a question, it doesn't work for fathom events because they cost more. Is it possible to pick a different movie, use the $7 or whatever on a fathom events ticket at the desk and pay the rest with a different card?

Im guessing that counts as fraud

Hattori

Banned
If I'm buying more than one ticket, can I just give them my movie pass debit card, and a second card just to pay the difference on the second ticket? Or is this against tos?
It shouldn’t matter because it’s a debit card and a POS machine will only take what’s available and make you use another card to pay the difference with a different card

dickroach

So here's a question, it doesn't work for fathom events because they cost more. Is it possible to pick a different movie, use the $7 or whatever on a fathom events ticket at the desk and pay the rest with a different card?

Im guessing that counts as fraud

yeah i dunno. I wanted to do it for one of the Ghibli movies. it was even cheaper than the regular movies for whatever reason, but i didn't risk it. their TOS implementation probably isnt too strict right now cuz they have too much shit going on, but i don't wanna risk it. it's definitely against their rules, and in their TOS there's something like "we can end your termination at any time for any reason"

I will say despite the terrible customer service and the massive wait for the card, now that I actually have the thing, it’s revolutionary. Just since I got the card a week ago, I’ve seen six movies, with at least six more planned in theaters and four more upcoming in October before I’ve completely caught up on movies I want to see. By the time my next bill date rolls around I will have seen at least 18 movies in a month, saving me like $220. That’s absolutely nuts, but obviously I’m not the most typical use case.

I ended up going to one of those dine-in auditoriums last night that I mentioned on the last page, and fortunately I was the only person in the showing, but I can definitely see how a full screening would be really distracting. There’s no way for servers to move to and fro delivering food and drinks without being right in your way. And there’s no pencil-and-paper or electronic system for making your order, so you’d also have to be talking to the server during the film.

I ended up going to one of those dine-in auditoriums last night that I mentioned on the last page, and fortunately I was the only person in the showing, but I can definitely see how a full screening would be really distracting. There’s no way for servers to move to and fro delivering food and drinks without being right in your way. And there’s no pencil-and-paper or electronic system for making your order, so you’d also have to be talking to the server during the film.

This is just baffling. Were these designed by complete morons? How do you copy a super successful dine-in movie theater and then miss everything about it that makes it work? Like...surely there's some kind of explanation for this?

To the people using this, how has it been working with friends Or reserved seats? That's what I'm most worried about.

You do it at the kiosk in separate transactions. How I've done it
1) Buy my ticket with moviepass, select a seat and enter my amc stubs info. Done.
2) Buy my friends ticket,(or they can buy it at the kiosk ) , select a seat next to it and enter my stubs info.
3) Movie timeeee

The other option is to buy their ticket using the amc app when we get there so we can pick seats next to each other. It's not as quick or smooth as buying them online earlier but it works.

Jetman

Got the email that my card was shipped but the app shows processing still. Not holding my breath.

Bummed that I waited for getting the card to see a few movies that I'm sure aren't in theaters anymore.

Nekofrog

Banned
My biggest complaint about getting the card so late is that literally all the movies I wanted to see are gone from theaters near me, leaving things like Lego ninja to taunt me. There were good films last month :T

blackflag

finally used it and saw Kingsman. Worked flawlessly. Even had to give my card to the person at AMC because their kiosks were broken and he didn't even blink.

Magwik

Banned
Anyone in Michigan have trouble with using it at MJR recently? Last week when I tried to see Lingsman my theatre disappeared from the app when I was there .-.

Sean

Banned
Second time in about a week with a MoviePass pricing error. Got a ticket to “American Made” and the card covered $13.19, required me to pay $1.97 out of pocket.

Not mad or anything, just makes me really curious where MoviePass is getting their (faulty) ticket price info from since there’s only two showings at this theater tonight and they both cost $15.16. Weird.

skybald

How do I do this? I usually have to be at the theater for the person behind the counter to scan my club card to register my points. If I didn't have to, I would do this every day. Thanks for the idea.

I signed up for Stubs Premier for $15 a year to earn 10x points. Went to the theatre twice and already have a $5 certificate. That is without even going and buying tickets and not going to the showing lol

Compbros

Anyone in Michigan have trouble with using it at MJR recently? Last week when I tried to see Lingsman my theatre disappeared from the app when I was there .-.

MJR has had a ton of problems recently. Earlier this week I tried to reserve a seat and got an error every time through eticket.

They still haven't fixed my issue with not being able to select a seat at my theater. They emailed me back about a month ago saying it'd be fixed THAT NIGHT. It still isn't. Have contacted support twice since, with no response. Just sent another. Hope they get this shit fixed.

Another three days of nothing. A month since they first told me they'd fix it the same day, three messages to support... Nothing.

This all went from pretty exciting to me probably cancelling my and my wife's accounts pretty quick. If I can't use it at my preferred theater due to an app issue they aren't fixing, like they said they would, it becomes pretty worthless to me.

Futureman

so for people that took 1.5 months to get their card... you basically paid for that first month of service ($9.99) and weren't actually able to go to any movies?

I still want to do this with my GF but it sounds like this company still is overwhelmed/can't actually keep up with demand.

lush

so for people that took 1.5 months to get their card... you basically paid for that first month of service ($9.99) and weren't actually able to go to any movies?

I still want to do this with my GF but it sounds like this company still is overwhelmed/can't actually keep up with demand.
Your first month doesn't start until your receive and activate the card by using it.

CyReN

MJR has had a ton of problems recently. Earlier this week I tried to reserve a seat and got an error every time through eticket.

It has issues last week with e-tickets all over, it's been working since Tuesday / Wednesday of this week though.

bigkrev

would this work if i let my siblings use the card or do I need to be there to get the ticket for them?

They would need to be logged in to your account on their phone (or have your phone), and it is against TOS, but otherwise there is nothing technically stopping you from doing this?

I just checked in for Flatliners, and right after I realized that the poster in the app is from the original Julia Roberts one. I'm not actually about to see that movie in the theater am I?
please say yes.

JesseZao

I just checked in for Flatliners, and right after I realized that the poster in the app is from the original Julia Roberts one. I'm not actually about to see that movie in the theater am I?
please say yes.

The movie pass app just doesn't have a great database/api for movie posters. It almost seems like it scrapes them from a Google image search.

Top Bottom