• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

bgbball31

Used it for the third time today. It has worked perfectly every time. That said, I am the only person in this theater with Wind River about to start. Somewhat unsettling.

Used it for the third time today. It has worked perfectly every time. That said, I am the only person in this theater with Wind River about to start. Somewhat unsettling.

That's the best. Your own personal theatre. Happened with me on Wind River as well this week.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's the best. Your own personal theatre. Happened with me on Wind River as well this week.

I watched Wind River a few days ago on a weekday and the theater was about a third full.

Arttemis

My girlfriend and I had moviepass for 18 months before cancelling in February because they were adding restrictions and hiking the price... we're more than used to this. Our best friends and my girlfriend have used a moviepass to take a nap in a dark theater when out of town. It's just so amazing to be able to walk into a theater with the swipe of the card.

I finally got my card a few days ago after almost 7 weeks of waiting. I'm so glad to have to be back!

Bii

Can you buy this a gift? Would love to get one for my mom.

A quick Google shows non-functioning pages.

Kind of.

I purchased one for my girlfriend using my own credit card. So I will be billed monthly for it until I decide to cancel it.

TI82

Banned
Just signed up for a second account so me and my girlfriend can see them together. Really wish we could double up on one card so it would be $20 a month and see two movies at a time.

Can you buy this a gift? Would love to get one for my mom.

A quick Google shows non-functioning pages.

Yes, but just realize using MoviePass requires a smartphone with a data connection - you have to "check in" to load the MP debit card with the right amount while you are within 100 yards of the theater, and you have to then swipe the debit card at the theater to actually buy the ticket.

Its a little too confusing for my dad since he doesn't use a phone other than to call people, I bought him a MP card but I just go buy the ticket for him in the afternoon showing and drop off the ticket so he doesn't have to deal with any of the app/phone logistics. Even at just 4-5 movies a month its still worth it for him though. I used his email address and address but my credit card, it came after around 15 days.

I saw American Made at 6:30 pm on Sunday and want to go see American Assassin tonight(Monday). Do I have to wait for the showings after 6:30 pm or can I do like a 4:30pm? I've gotten conflicting reports so I'm turning to the thread that hasn't failed me yet.

jwk94

So I just paid $11 to see Flatliners which got me considering this pass.

What all do I need to know? Can I bring a guest?

Does it let me see any movie at registered theaters for the subscription price?

Can I build reward points with a theatre card in conjunction with my movie pass card?

If I sub tomorrow, do I need to wait for my card to get here before I start going to movies? I see some people talking about something called an e-ticket?? What's that?

Is there a restriction on movie times or how many I can see? Thanks!

What all do I need to know? Can I bring a guest? Yes, but according to the terms of service you would have to pay for their ticket separately with another payment method. There have been some reports of people buying two tickets, paying with the MoviePass to cover the cost of one, and then paying the difference with another card on the same transaction, but this is technically against the TOS.

Does it let me see any movie at registered theaters for the subscription price? It works with almost any theater. Some luxury theaters and other random locations may not be on the list. But I have AMC, Regal, Malco, and independent theaters that all show up for me. I'm not aware of one near my location that doesn't accept it. Technically speaking, any theater that accepts MasterCard should accept MoviePass. It's up to MoviePass whether to list the theater in their app.

Can I build reward points with a theatre card in conjunction with my movie pass card? You're not supposed to use your AMC Stubs membership with MoviePass. It's against the Stubs terms of service. But no one can really stop you. And there are no issues using it with other rewards programs. Regal Crown Club is a great way to build points because you get more points the more often you see movies.

If I sub tomorrow, do I need to wait for my card to get here before I start going to movies? I see some people talking about something called an e-ticket?? What's that? Very few theaters offer e-ticketing with MoviePass. It's very likely that yours doesn't. So you'll have to wait on the card, yes. Which might take up to a month at the rate they're shipping cards.

Is there a restriction on movie times or how many I can see? Thanks! You can see one standard 2D showing per calendar day, as many times as you want. You can see the same movie more than once if you want. It doesn't work on 3D, IMAX, RPX, DBOX, Dolby, or other kinds of premium screenings. Those screenings just won't show up as an option available to you with the MoviePass app. If they do, it's probably an error on MoviePass' side and you shouldn't check in to them because they could consider it a TOS violation.

Answered your questions within the quote above. Hope that helps! I've already seen a TON of movies with my MoviePass so I can probably answer any question you have.

What all do I need to know? Can I bring a guest?

Does it let me see any movie at registered theaters for the subscription price?

Can I build reward points with a theatre card in conjunction with my movie pass card?

If I sub tomorrow, do I need to wait for my card to get here before I start going to movies? I see some people talking about something called an e-ticket?? What's that?

Is there a restriction on movie times or how many I can see? Thanks!

I also had a lot of time for introspection during Flatliners.

Neece

As someone that watches 60+ films in theaters every year this is really by far my favorite purchase of the year. I’m sitting in a theater right now waiting for Battle of the Sexes to start. Saw American Made last night. I’ll even check out the horrendous Flatliners later this week when I normally would have skipped it.

It all seems too good to be true, like it will eventually fail or have a big sub increase. But I’m enjoying it at this price while I can.

netguy503

As someone that watches 60+ films in theaters every year this is really by far my favorite purchase of the year. I'm sitting in a theater right now waiting for Battle of the Sexes to start. Saw American Made last night. I'll even check out the horrendous Flatliners later this week when I normally would have skipped it.

It all seems too good to be true, like it will eventually fail or have a big sub increase. But I'm enjoying it at this price while I can.

I can only see this going up to $20. $25 max. If they get greedy and try higher, they will lose ALOT of subscribers and what would be the point. I also can't see this changing before at least a year is up. The negative press of even changing it even a little bit would be damning and kill all the positive press they have been building these last few months. People would be too skeptical to buy in to a program that fluctuates in price too soon/too quickly. They have to be smart about it even if it's hurting them.

I also wonder how that plan to recoup the money off the concessions movie pass users buy is working out for them especially when I don't buy concessions at theaters at all.

As someone that watches 60+ films in theaters every year this is really by far my favorite purchase of the year. I'm sitting in a theater right now waiting for Battle of the Sexes to start. Saw American Made last night. I'll even check out the horrendous Flatliners later this week when I normally would have skipped it.

It all seems too good to be true, like it will eventually fail or have a big sub increase. But I'm enjoying it at this price while I can.

I'm like you, except I just never went to the theater before. I love movies, I just can't justify the cost. But when I'm getting so much value with MoviePass I feel like I have to see literally every movie I can. At this point I'm even making spreadsheets planning out when I can go see certain movies to cram in as much use as possible. I am dead set on squeezing every bit of value out of this thing while it lasts, because I don't see how it can be sustainable like this.

I can only see this going up to $20. $25 max. If they get greedy and try higher, they will lose ALOT of subscribers and what would be the point. I also can't see this changing before at least a year is up. The negative press of even changing it even a little bit would be damning and kill all the positive press they have been building these last few months. People would be too skeptical to buy in to a program that fluctuates in price too soon/too quickly. They have to be smart about it even if it's hurting them.

I also wonder how that plan to recoup the money off the concessions movie pass users buy is working out for them especially when I don't buy concessions at theaters at all.

Wait, how does MoviePass make money off concessions?

I have no idea how anyone is making money off this thing. I paid $10 and saw 7 movies. It honestly feels like the insect people who secretly control everything realized that Donald Trump was going to push us all over the edge into open rebellion, so their solution was to subsidize movies until the citizenry is properly pacified. It's literally the only way that $10 moviepass makes any logical sense.

I have no idea how anyone is making money off this thing. I paid $10 and saw 7 movies. It honestly feels like the insect people who secretly control everything realized that Donald Trump was going to push us all over the edge into open rebellion, so their solution was to subsidize movies until the citizenry is properly pacified. It's literally the only way that $10 moviepass makes any logical sense.

They got ~$30m in "investment" / 50% buyout from some rando company. They get $10x? customers per month as recurring revenue - if they hit 1m subs (they announced a few weeks ago 400k so its not that unfeasible), that would be $10m/mo in revenue.

So they are essentially burning through cash, hoping they get big enough where they have leverage over movie theater chains -- "give us cheaper rates, a cut of your popcorn revenue, etc or we remove you from moviepass".

Its a bold play, and highly unlikely to work given how old school and slow moving the movie chains are. I doubt AMC would really give two fucks if they aren't available on MoviePass (and probably would prefer it) for ?? reasons ??

So yeah, enjoy MoviePass for now, I expect any week now either them to announce they got a big cash infusion from a big company (Amazon, Google, Apple, etc) or they have run out of money and are shutting down. Its going to take hundreds of millions of dollars to "bend" movie chains to their will and a lot of time, definitely way more money than MoviePass has in the bank.

My favorite part about MoviePass is that I can go see a shit movie like American Assassin on a whim, walk out halfway through, and not feel bad about it.

Sean

Banned

No chance in hell this pricing lasts a full year. I hope it does, but that seems incredibly unrealistic.

Their costs (and thus losses) are about to skyrocket in the coming weeks with the triple whammy of Thor Ragnarok, Justice League, and Star Wars The Last Jedi. Movies that everyone is going to see, and probably see multiple times to boot. They're already burning through cash and those upcoming blockbusters are going to accelerate that tenfold and force them to make some changes sooner rather than later.

I suspect that starting November they'll (re)introduce the restriction that says you can only watch a movie once. And then by January 1, 2018 they'll update their pricing with different tiers. Basically start turning the service into what it was previously, except now they'll have a lot more brand awareness and a huge customer base.

Neece

No chance in hell this pricing lasts a full year. I hope it does, but that seems incredibly unrealistic.

Their costs (and thus losses) are about to skyrocket in the coming weeks with the triple whammy of Thor Ragnarok, Justice League, and Star Wars The Last Jedi. Movies that everyone is going to see, and probably see multiple times to boot. They're already burning through cash and those upcoming blockbusters are going to accelerate that tenfold and force them to make some changes sooner rather than later.

I suspect that starting November they'll (re)introduce the restriction that says you can only watch a movie once. And then by January 1, 2018 they'll update their pricing with different tiers. Basically start turning the service into what it was previously, except now they'll have a lot more brand awareness and a huge customer base.

Yeah that seems to be the smart play.

I didn't even know this service existed before the gaf thread, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't have subscribed for the price they were asking.

But after having it for the latter summer movies and going into the fall and oscar season slate, I might decide by January that i don't want to be without it, even if the price point shoots up.

I'm subbed to most of the streaming services, but if push came to shove, I think I'd rather keep moviepass over...hulu or the wwe network for instance. And I think that is something they would hope to get out of this.

netguy503

In november? Before the "big" movies you mentioned come out? No. I could see maybe December or maybe January with a "new year, new pricing structure" thing but if this service changes in just a month's time..............well, I don't want to do a ban bet but if it changes by the beginning of november I'll eat my hat. Consider this It was a big movie and multiple people saw It multiple times given how many weeks It was at #1 and did movie pass change it's service then? No. Again, I'm not arguing that this service won't change at some point. It will but in only a month or two just because there are "big" movies coming out when we just had a "big" movie come out with no change is a tad reaching I think.

I also think that even though it may be a needed change it would be a bad move to change on customers so soon because then they will get customers wondering if the plans going to change like this every few months/ how reliable is this service/dropping the service and even though they need to change their pricing at some point i doubt they want that as soon as you are guessing. Again, if I'm wrong I'm wrong but I can't see this service changing until maybe mid December/early January at the soonest. I guess we will both have to save our posts and see who's right at a later date. :)

Arttemis

This service used to be $35/mo with far more restrictions than it has now... and my girlfriend and I were HAPPY customers for 18 months back then! You could only see a movie one time, and the daily timer was a 24hr clock, which really impacted our enjoyment during the weekends. Then they started raising the rates, and started limiting the number of tickets they sold nationally, so when it was busy, you'd actually see "sorry, tickets for this time period have sold out."

Thankfully, they've dropped all of those negative restrictions. I'd keep with it if they returned to their original price.

Seriously, like my favorite thing ever.

Me thinks $10/month scheme will not last forever, but I'm ridding this train while it lasts. Save on movies I would have paid for regardless, and see movies I would be otherwise curious, but not see in the cinema.

damn, wish we would get that in my country....

one screening here is like 16 $ (you can pay less if you go on monday or buy directly like 10 tickets for any future screenings)

dickroach

My favorite part about MoviePass is that I can go see a shit movie like American Assassin on a whim, walk out halfway through, and not feel bad about it.

ya i almost walked outta Dunkirk, but it got good enough for me not to regret not leaving

not leave / 10

and Battle of the Sexes
that's a solid not leave / 10

Armadilo

Banned
The guy from movie pass said that If I remembered correctly that people would use it sparingly and for me it's kinda true, had it for a month and I would rather watch something that I want to. Rather waste my time somewhere else instead of seeing all the movies.

Compbros

My brother ordered his card September 14th, ordered mine about 3 days later. Got an email last week that my card is on the way, he still hasn't gotten one.

JesseZao

The guy from movie pass said that If I remembered correctly that people would use it sparingly and for me it's kinda true, had it for a month and I would rather watch something that I want to. Rather waste my time somewhere else instead of seeing all the movies.

I won't waste my time on crap like Flatliners, but there's usually one movie a week that I want to see. When I first got it I was catching up on stuff before it left theaters.

Yeah that seems to be the smart play.

I didn't even know this service existed before the gaf thread, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't have subscribed for the price they were asking.

But after having it for the latter summer movies and going into the fall and oscar season slate, I might decide by January that i don't want to be without it, even if the price point shoots up.

I'm subbed to most of the streaming services, but if push came to shove, I think I'd rather keep moviepass over...hulu or the wwe network for instance. And I think that is something they would hope to get out of this.

Yep, been thinking that MP's plan is to roll out tiers eventually

$20 a month to see up to 4 movies a month

$40 a month to see up to 8 movies a month

Something like that

I found out there was an Alamo Drafthouse here in Brooklyn so I decided to go there, hearing so much great things about them on the internet. Had a great time seeing It but the real star of the show today was that amazing ass food court/food market in the basement of the mall the Alamo Drafthouse was in (Citypoint Mall). If any of you guys live near downtown Brooklyn I would recommend you go down there... Hoo boy

https://ibb.co/album/k9kh5a

I went to see It there last week, it was great. Ordered a brisket burger and a Shiner Bock, good stuff. The food court downstairs is indeed heavenly. Strangely enough, my Katz pastrami sandwich was meh; too tough when it's usually melt in your mouth.

Redd

I wish there was a way to reliably use this on opening night

I usually just show up there at my lunch hour and get my ticket for a later showing. Probably won't work for The Last Jedi but I'm sure it will by the following weekend.

Surfinn

I usually just show up there at my lunch hour and get my ticket for a later showing. Probably won't work for The Last Jedi but I'm sure it will by the following weekend.

Heh. However did you know I was talking about TLJ? :p

Was hoping to do this for Blade Runner as well but our theater has assigned seats. Which makes it pretty much impossible to sit with two other people

Top Bottom