• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 PC Performance Thread

You should get more than that? I am using the 13.2 beta drivers with a 6990, and I am hitting with max settings.
no AA
2xsmaa
8x MSAA
Which beta drivers are you using?

Also, I'm using vsync and the game does run at 60 fps a lot of the time, I just meant that it has dipped to the mid 30s on a few occasions.

That's cool there's an official standard for "looking good enough" that's been established. Where can I read more about it?

Your snark is appreciated and all, but seriously, look at the benchmarks and the problems with general framerate stability people are having. I'm having a hard time believing that all of the performance issues people are having stem from the game simply being ~from the future~.

This game looks good, but it doesn't look good enough for this kind of performance on pretty high-end hardware.
Not to imply that opinions should be taken as fact, but would you care to name a game that looks better than Crysis 3?

As far as I'm concerned this is hands down the best looking game I've ever played and, given that it's been completely playable through 5 hours of campaign thus far, the performance is definitely acceptable.

Not to imply that opinions should be taken as fact, but would you care to name a game that looks better than Crysis 3?

As far as I'm concerned this is hands down the best looking game I've ever played and, given that it's been completely playable through 5 hours of campaign thus far, the performance is definitely acceptable.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest about the game not looking good as other games, I'm suggesting that the game is badly optimized (and perhaps not really a "generational leap" from either C1 or 2).

sp3000

Star Wars 1313.

Much of the reason Crysis 3 has terrible performance is because the highest settings have a huge performance cost with almost no visual benefit. Something like SSDO vs SSAO for example.

It's not really Crytek's fault since they can't change actual geometry between the console and PC versions, where performance cost would actually make a major visual difference.

scitek

Your snark is appreciated and all, but seriously, look at the benchmarks and the problems with general framerate stability people are having. I'm having a hard time believing that all of the performance issues people are having stem from the game simply being ~from the future~.

There are so many variables at play, trying to wrap it all up in a general statement like that makes it seem like you think you know something Crytek doesn't about their own game.

Star Wars 1313.

Much of the reason Crysis 3 has terrible performance is because the highest settings have a huge performance cost with almost no visual benefit. Something like SSDO vs SSAO for example.

It's not really Crytek's fault since they can't change actual geometry between the console and PC versions, where performance cost would actually make a major visual difference.
Using a next gen game is cheating :p

I agree that Crysis 3 likely won't have the looks/performance ratio of next gen games, but given what we're used to it makes perfect sense. Compare C3 to any previously released game and it wins handily.

There's also the fact that the game technically doesn't even come out until tomorrow. It's rare that I'm able to play through any new game the day before release, let alone with two video cards working well and no technical hiccups.

Mononoke

Banned
So do people see a substantial improvement in the visuals from Crysis 2? From the screens I've seen it seems that it's at about the same level but the areas are larger.

Personally? I thought Crysis 2 looked kind of shoddy (especially the textures). Now, if you are comparing MaLdo's HD mod texture pack, then yeah, it comes close to Crysis 3.

But comparing stock Crysis 2 to Crysis 3, I don't think they are that similar (graphic wise). I see a big improvement.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a Core i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, 16 GB RAM and a Radeon 5870 1 GB setup running at 1920x1200.

What kind of settings could I hope to run this game out to both look good and consistently run above 30fps?

There are so many variables at play, trying to wrap it all up in a general statement like that makes it seem like you think you know something Crytek doesn't about their own game.

Absolutely not, but they do have a history of weird/counterproductive optimization decisions with the Crysis series. Remember Crysis 2's tessellation problems?

scitek

Absolutely not, but they do have a history of weird/counterproductive optimization decisions with the Crysis series. Remember Crysis 2's tessellation problems?

I'm not disagreeing that the game should perform better on a more consistent basis, but that sort of description is better reserved for something like Saints Row 2. Hopefully this one can be tweaked similarly to the second game, and like with that one, tessellation is probably one if the first things people may want to try turning off.

geometry is different in the PC version, at least it was int the MP (check trees etc.)

I highly recommend you upgrade to the latest beta drivers 13.2, I'm getting amazing performance out of it, 2500k, dual 6950s 1GB, 50-60 outside/70-80 inside. Also turn v-sync off, it caps rates at 30 for some reason.

AMD users I highly recommend you upgrade to the latest beta drivers 13.2, I'm getting amazing performance out of it, 2500k, dual 6950s 1GB, 50-60 outside/70-80 fps inside. Also turn v-sync off, it caps rates at 30 for some reason.

There's no need to turn off V-sync. Just download Rivatuner and force triple buffering through D3DOverrider. This way, you get the benefits of V-sync without the downside of locking the framerate to 30 when it drops slightly below 60 FPS.

There's no need to turn off V-sync. Just download Rivatuner and force triple buffering through D3DOverrider. This way, you get the benefits of V-sync without the downside of locking the framerate to 30 when it drops slightly below 60 FPS.

nah I rather not. I don't want to fuck my rig so I'll just leave it as it is, but thanks!

Vitor711

Personally? I thought Crysis 2 looked kind of shoddy (especially the textures). Now, if you are comparing MaLdo's HD mod texture pack, then yeah, it comes close to Crysis 3.

But comparing stock Crysis 2 to Crysis 3, I don't think they are that similar (graphic wise). I see a big improvement.

I totally agree with this. You can absolutely see a huge difference in quality from vanilla C2 to vanilla C3.

Also, the fact that each level is also substantially larger than any level in C2 is also quite a feat.

Other than the textures, the biggest leap is probably in characters. While the animation could still use some work (LA Noire still remains the benchmark for expressive faces), it can look astounding at points.

Also, the move to more natural environments mixed in with the urban landscape is also super interesting. I feel like it's easier to hit realism using buildings and manmade materials but to get the level of detail they did in some of the overgrown areas really made my jaw drop.

Gbraga

Would anyone be kind enough to take a few Medium downsampled from 1440p vs Very High native 1080p comparison shots?

Mononoke

Banned
I totally agree with this. You can absolutely see a huge difference in quality from vanilla C2 to vanilla C3.

Also, the fact that each level is also substantially larger than any level in C2 is also quite a feat.

Other than the textures, the biggest leap is probably in characters. While the animation could still use some work (LA Noire still remains the benchmark for expressive faces), it can look astounding at points.

Also, the move to more natural environments mixed in with the urban landscape is also super interesting. I feel like it's easier to hit realism using buildings and manmade materials but to get the level of detail they did in some of the overgrown areas really made my jaw drop.

Yeah, the characters are insane.

I would also say, the vegetation (such as the grass and plant life) - is pretty is gorgeous. I can't think of any other game that has as much as this game. That was the first thing I really noticed about this game vs 2.

I don't think it's fair to look at screenshots to compare. You have to actually run around to see the level design, and you will be able to tell right away that C3 is has a lot more going on than vanilla C2.

Star Wars 1313.

No it doesn't. SW1313 has a photoreal color palette. That is all. KZ2 + KZ3 has the same kind of photoreal palette.

SW1313 showed no tessellation, no GI, no particle lighting, no area lights, no volume fog, no caustics, etc.. etc.. Not even close.

It's not noticeable to you but do you remember Witcher 2 in Ubersampling mode? Same thing.

-M

I agree that Crysis 3 likely won't have the looks/performance ratio of next gen games, but given what we're used to it makes perfect sense.

Ridiculous statement. The highest end powerful PC cards right now are at least a generation ahead of the next-gen consoles (i.e. powerwise and feature set-wise). How can you possibly think that gaming companies can extract out even higher res textures, even higher tessallation, even better AO, better global illumination, etc.. etc.. at the same graphics settings on a console that has inferior hardware?

You guys are just hating on it not playing well on your setup..

-M

Really dumb question. But if it's an issue with it being a 32 bit, that means that it's not able to use as much memory as it could.

Does that mean it limits VRAM usage?

If that's the case, really wouldn't help my situation - because I'm bumping up against 2gb of VRAM when playing at 1600p. Unless I'm misunderstanding how this works. (with 32 bit exe) I do remember the issue with Skyrim. I guess I just didn't understand it entirely.

Since DX10 VRAM has been completely virtualized and managed by the video memory manager. Given that Crysis 3 is a DX11 game, so long as devs aren't stupid and leave a second copy of all of the assets in physical memory as you would have done in the DX9 days you shouldn't exhaust your virtual address space even going over 2GB or more of assets.

mr_nothin

Banned
Ridiculous statement. The highest end powerful PC cards right now are at least a generation ahead of the next-gen consoles (i.e. powerwise and feature set-wise). How can you possibly think that gaming companies can extract out even higher res textures, even higher tessallation, even better AO, better global illumination, etc.. etc.. at the same graphics settings on a console that has inferior hardware?

You guys are just hating on it not playing well on your setup..

-M
Coding to the metal, specialized parts, & developing for a closed system.
PC games wont really advance until consoles advance.

Also, how are current PC cards right now a generation ahead of the cards in next-gen consoles, in terms of feature set?

I agree 100%! This is the best looking game (this year), I am really hoping that this is the new standard. My 670 sli maching is running it well as long as I leave MSAA @ 4X. I'm getting above 70 fps with dips to 30. The in between cinematics dip to 30 but look amazing. I finished the first level and am super impressed. Reminds me of Far Cry 3 a little, with the tagging and what not, but its obviously not open world, not yet at least I'm not sure how that is going to work out.

ryoohki

Guys, wait until Next gen console port are being released on PC, YOU WILL NOT have 60FPS on current PC hardware (today) at 1080p. The best right now is probably going to make it barely to 30 FPS.

The only reason that we are getting monster resolution and FPS is because of the 8 years old hardware of console, never been seen before (usually 4-5 years.. cycle)

Guys, wait until Next gen console port are being released on PC, YOU WILL NOT have 60FPS on current PC hardware (today) at 1080p. The best right now is probably going to make it barely to 30 FPS.

The only reason that we are getting monster resolution and FPS is because of the 8 years old hardware of console, never been seen before (usually 4-5 years.. cycle)

Crysis 3 is currently an unoptimized mess it would seem. The visuals are amazing, but they do not justify the poor framerates. This looks to be another Metro 2033 until an update is issued.

No need to be a doomsayer, this is not what we have in store for at least a couple of years.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Crysis 3 is currently an unoptimized mess it would seem. The visuals are amazing, but they do not justify the poor framerates. This looks to be another Metro 2033 until an update is issued.

No need to be a doomsayer, this is not what we have in store for at least a couple of years.
Well, SW1313 runs even worse than Cry3 and Watch Dogs is from the company that gave us the PC port of Assassin's Creed 3, so I'm not optimistic.

Coding to the metal, specialized parts, & developing for a closed system.
PC games wont really advance until consoles advance.

Also, how are current PC cards right now a generation ahead of the cards in next-gen consoles, in terms of feature set?

Developers don't need to code to the metal anymore. They have great APIs like DX11. With that they are able to concentrate on asset creation. The engine is already modular for most multiplatform games. So the idea of the consoles able to squeeze out more performance and features than a high end PC is just a pipe dream.

Because look the hardware specs. The next-generation consoles are using mobile GPUs.

Top Bottom