• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 PC Performance Thread

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Please supply us all with a playable demo :)
LucasArts has been showing it off, but it clearly needs a bit of optimizing. It needs three 680s to get it running at 30fps.

Ugh, I'll post actual Cry3 performance info in this thread this week. I promise.

Elsolar

Every goddamn time a company comes out with a game that pushes the visual envelope, they issue the same warnings over and over again. "The highest settings are just for the high-end cards, there's not a big visual difference between [highest] and [slightly less than highest] settings!" And every time, people crank the game all the way up to max and then bitch and complain that the game isn't optimized well enough. It happened with the first Crysis, it happened with Metro 2033, it happened with Battlefield 3, it happened with The Witcher 2, and now it's happening again with Crysis 3. As well as plenty of games along the way I've probably forgotten about. I don't understand why people take it so personally when they can't max out a game, it's like they don't think the higher-quality settings are worth including because they personally can't max them. It's outrageous.

stufte

anyone test this with a 690? don't tell me it dips below 60

I WON'T HEAR IT DAMN IT

I get between 50 and 60+ (I'm limited by my refresh rate)fps. 1920x1200 all very high settings (except for textures, they're on high), x2 SMAA vsync off.

codhand

i7 2600k, 8gb, gtx570,
settings on high, smaa 2x,
forced v sync and triple buffering in nvidia ctrl panel,
getting 29-38 fps, looks great.

codhand

1080p

i just dropped the texture quality to medium, and now im getting low 40s, high 50s indoors, game looks great, runs way better than what I thought based on the early impressions.

mr_nothin

Banned
Developers don't need to code to the metal anymore. They have great APIs like DX11. With that they are able to concentrate on asset creation. The engine is already modular for most multiplatform games. So the idea of the consoles able to squeeze out more performance and features than a high end PC is just a pipe dream.

Because look the hardware specs. The next-generation consoles are using mobile GPUs.

Yea, sure they dont need to but it allows them to get every ounce out of the system if they so choose. A few devs do this still, somewhat.

LucasArts has been showing it off, but it clearly needs a bit of optimizing. It needs three 680s to get it running at 30fps.

Ugh, I'll post actual Cry3 performance info in this thread this week. I promise.

Source?
Every article I can find about it says the original E3 demo ran on a single 680.

s_mirage

PC Gamer and Edge report 3 GTX680s.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/star-wars-1313-preview/

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/star-wars-1313-preview/

I'm inclined to believe they know what they are talking about, how could they get that wrong ?

Although it doesn't necessarily mean that they are wrong it does seem a little strange that they are the only source for this. Irritatingly there are no credits on the articles that I can see, as since they have the same publisher it is not impossible that both the Edge and PC Gamer articles could have the same author, or at least the same primary source.

dino1980

CHANGE FOV

To change the FOV do the following.

1 Copy your system.cfg (can be found in the root catalog)
2 Rename the new copy of system.cfg to autoexec.cfg
3 Open it in notepad
4 Delete the text in it and copy in the following

cl_fov 80
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov 80
r_drawnearfov 80

You can change the fov to whatever you like by just changing the numbers.

Although it doesn't necessarily mean that they are wrong it does seem a little strange that they are the only source for this. Irritatingly there are no credits on the articles that I can see, as since they have the same publisher it is not impossible that both the Edge and PC Gamer articles could have the same author, or at least the same primary source.

I could of swore i read somewhere it was a single GTX 680 too. Though i may be confusing that with the Epic tech demo.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Will this perform better or worse than Crysis 2 on a low end PC? E8500, GTX285.

Still trying to postpone upgrades.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well, that answers the question for sure >_>

See you in the summer or something like that.

Dmax3901

CHANGE FOV

To change the FOV do the following.

1 Copy your system.cfg (can be found in the root catalog)
2 Rename the new copy of system.cfg to autoexec.cfg
3 Open it in notepad
4 Delete the text in it and copy in the following

cl_fov 80
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov 80
r_drawnearfov 80

You can change the fov to whatever you like by just changing the numbers.

Would be good to get this sort of thing in the OP.

Eideka

Banned
iblFHatdSyXrFU.png

ikkT212Ah5VOs.png

Nice texture work.

Reading this thread, people can get the impression that C3 is an unplayable mess. With my gtx680 at 1080p running with modest AA, shading and shadows at high, and the rest at very high, I get consistently 50-80 fps. Dips into the 40s at the most intense scenes. If I put everything at high (and textures at very high), I can break 100fps. The game still looks better than anything else on high.

For people running 1440p, multiple monitors and 3D at very high, performance is going to suffer. Some of it may be optimization problems in the game, but people with high end rigs should get good performance out of this game if they think of the "very high" settings as a stretch goal.

XAL

Damn.
I'm using a single superclocked GTX580 running it very high textures/FXAA on a 1080p monitor and I'm only pulling 25-35fps.

I want to buy a 690 but I just know that a few months later they're going to do the 700 series or some shit :\

strata8

What is up with people's obsession with running this at max settings despite the performance? Crysis 3 is a classic case of dimishing returns - from what I can tell High looks almost as good as Very High and yet the frame rate can be 3x higher in some circumstances.

What is up with people's obsession with running this at max settings despite the performance? Crysis 3 is a classic case of dimishing returns - from what I can tell High looks almost as good as Very High and yet the frame rate can be 3x higher in some circumstances.

Direct result of the build a new pc thread:p
Lots of newcomers to pc gaming who don't understand that games would generally push gpus and that it often took another 1-2 gpu gens after each new game is released to play said game on the highest settings.

Then again graphics back then improved at a much higher rate, crysis 3 doesn't look like the jump from quake 2 to quake 3.

Duxxy3

Direct result of the build a new pc thread:p
Lots of newcomers to pc gaming who don't understand that games would generally push gpus and that it often took another 1-2 gpu gens after each new game is released to play said game on the highest settings.

Then again graphics back then improved at a much higher rate, crysis 3 doesn't look like the jump from quake 2 to quake 3.

I remember trying to run Crysis 1 on my 7800 gt.

kharma45

Damn.
I'm using a single superclocked GTX580 running it very high textures/FXAA on a 1080p monitor and I'm only pulling 25-35fps.

I want to buy a 690 but I just know that a few months later they're going to do the 700 series or some shit :\

They're due out Q4 2013. Titan is the next card they're releasing, should be in the next few days.

CryptiK

Damn.

Im using 2 of those and Im not getting much better performance.

Top Bottom