• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application - Handheld (or controller?) featuring a free-form display

gai_shain

Well they've worked for ~35 years with minimal changes. Until the way games are presented is fundamentally changed (like VR) there is no reason than just trying to be different to change the way games controls.

This is typical out of touch Nintendo. The NX is their last shot and if they blow it, they become another Sega. They should just stick to the tried and true to bring back lapsed Nintendo fans and third party developers or else I'll be playing Smash on my PS6 soon enough.

its a patent, its possible there is going to come exactly nothing out of this in the end.
But yes nintendo is doomed once again

Judging by how long the controller looks, I'd water that there'll be at least the normal 16:9 section of screen completely unobscured by buttons/hands. Think of the extra screen on the left and right as bonus real-estate that lets them put useful/stylish button labels (like arcade games, as demonstrated in the patent).

In that case, it seems really awesome. It could even clear up some of the screen, because things with button prompts and reminders would be moved from the main field of view off to be right on the buttons themselves. Imagine a traditional Zelda, except instead of showing what items/actions are mapped to the d-pad and secondary buttons on-screen, they're moved off to be shown directly next to the buttons themselves, leaving only a few minor UI elements onscreen (health, rupees).

JCX

The problem with these mockups is that they put old games into a different controller types. I'm sure a game made just for the gamepad would account for how the players' hands cover portions of the screen. Worst case, it could minimize gameplay to these middle like the wii U pad.

Wii did well because it was the first major piece of hardware with wireless controlls. That gimmick died quickly. A wireless controller/second screen isn't new or revolutionary and the Wii U showed that even with quality first party software, people couldn't care less enough to actually buy said hardware. Why? No third party software. This will not be any different if Nintendo continues it's 'we can do it alone' attitude. I mean it took Nintendo how long to get Minecraft for crying out loud.

I think you mean motion controls instead of wireless controls.

Also, let's not kid ourselves. It sold well because of its accessibility and Wii Sports

Well they've worked for ~35 years with minimal changes.

So, "if it works, don't change it"? Sounds awfully stale.

I like Nintendo having balls to innovate and to think of something new and exciting. People who are not shackled by prejudices and who are willing to try new things are grateful for it.

Well they've worked for ~35 years with minimal changes. Until the way games are presented is fundamentally changed (like VR) there is no reason than just trying to be different to change the way games controls.

This is typical out of touch Nintendo. The NX is their last shot and if they blow it, they become another Sega. They should just stick to the tried and true to bring back lapsed Nintendo fans and third party developers or else I'll be playing Smash on my PS6 soon enough.

The NX is absolutely not their last shot.

jwillenn

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

a gaming tablet with left/right sides designed to accept different controller attachments.
Simply remove the small rubbery covers on both sides to reveal its connection points, and bam! Users can attach Stick/Button sides or even attach the remodeled Wiimote & Chuk I've been wishing for since Wii era...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmmh, I didn't think the free-form displays would've been used for console gaming; more for the QOL devices. Eh, I just hope that this is a patent for a controller and not for a handheld with a controller-shaped shell, or better (probably I'm just jumping to conclusions here) I hope that's not a sign that their next handheld WON'T have a second screen. I'd miss it too much, honestly.

Still, did that patent actually mentions stereoscopic screens? Uh.

Wii did well because it was the first major piece of hardware with wireless controlls. That gimmick died quickly. A wireless controller/second screen isn't new or revolutionary and the Wii U showed that even with quality first party software, people couldn't care less enough to actually buy said hardware. Why? No third party software. This will not be any different if Nintendo continues it's 'we can do it alone' attitude. I mean it took Nintendo how long to get Minecraft for crying out loud.

This is by the most random explanation for the Wii's sales that I've EVER read

Can people stop whining and dismissing every concept which seems to be even slightly novel? Man, y'all are boring. At least wait for the real thing. Do you really think Nintendo, which prioritizes the control responsiveness over pretty much everything else, will make something truly uncomfortable to play?

Wii U gamepad is uncomfortable to play.

Mael

Talking about being out of touch...

This is by the most random explanation for the Wii's sales that I've EVER read

Believe me it's not, I think I've read it all.
Heck there some explanation like it was released on sunday or some shit too.

Air

Banned
The way I see it, the context sensitive touch icons aren't buttons but commands where you can push the stick in.

For example, if Mario is about to come to a ledge, the jump icon will appear and the player and press up to jump at that time. If that's the case, it'd be very interesting (I'm assuming you can also touch the screen as well.

I have to give it a more thorough reading, but I like it so far

People say this all the time but do they realize that at one point, things like analog sticks, d-pads and shoulder buttons were also "gimmicky", or that stuff like switching the d-pad and LAS position was also a complete gimmick?

Nothing starts off without being a gimmick first; it's that those things prove themselves to work over time do they stop being labeled as a gimmick. So at least give these new control methods a chance to prove themselves like you have w/ prior ones. Any real gamer would do so.

KarmaCow

Having basically dynamic, context buttons is interesting on it's own but I wouldn't want it actually overlayed on the game screen like onscreen buttons for mobile games obscuring the screen.

Another mockup I had made back when the freeform display thing was rumoured:

Fgu3yq9.jpg

a7N5J1L.png

The idea is a screen form-fitted around a set of physical buttons that could be used for labeling/extra UI functions, which seems to be what Nintendo just patented.

I love the idea of putting a label around the buttons for what they do in a game.

Madao

shit.

if they ditch buttons, that's the straw that would make me stop buying nintendo games.

hopefully there's more to this than the mockups.

Frodo

Wii U gamepad is uncomfortable to play.

So were every single official controller released for the Playstation consoles until the PS4, and that didn't stop them, go figure. Gamepad is "uncomfortable" because of the weight, but at least it has good ergonomics.

shit.

if they ditch buttons, that's the straw that would make me stop buying nintendo games.

There are buttons LITERALLY drawn in that application pictures.

Nanashrew

Banned
Ima bow out of this thread. It's just going nowhere right now. Hope that good discussion does show up like in the nintendo supplemental cloud device thread :U

gai_shain

Also its possible that it uses an ultra widescreen aspect ratio and the extra space on the sides is just used for buttons, so you actually dont lose anything you would have with a normal aspect ratio and buttons.

But as I said before its just a patent anyway

So were every single official controller released for the Playstation consoles until the PS4, and that didn't stop them, go figure. Gamepad is "uncomfortable" because of the weight, but at least it has good ergonomics.
It's not even heavy. My hands cramp every so often but they nailed the feel for its size.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, the specific implications of the patent really just imply the use of a free form touch display, which is a sensible evolution of the Wii U GamePad technology by more coherently blending the secondary screen with the controller layout. That, itself, really doesn't tell you much. It is essentially the Wii U as you know with the screen operating across a greater surface volume and localised around the physical inputs themselves. And obviously that means data on the screen could be more sensibly related to the physical inputs simply due to proximity (like notes/tabs appearing around the control sticks).

It doesn't really tell you just what kind of direction Nintendo would go in terms of physical inputs versus touch. I personally would be deterred by a controller that abandons almost all but sticks for digital touch buttons, tactile feedback is important to me, but the patent doesn't specify one direction or the other of a complete controller, simply that a free form touch display could be used for supplementing functions.

And yeah, it's basically a way to keep the GamePad idea (I think off-screen play would be a major factor in this) while combining it with traditional controller layouts in an effort to more elogantly hybridise the two instead of the GamePad's big ol shitty screen in the middle of two controller halves.

I personally don't give a shit about off screen play, since the benefits of a second screen are in supplementing the main display and/or bridging mechanics, so the patent doesn't say much to me beyond returning the GamePad idea souped up (and thats fine).

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Very interesting find. Strange this didn't show up in my weekly search.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Another mockup I had made back when the freeform display thing was rumoured:

Fgu3yq9.jpg

a7N5J1L.png

The idea is a screen form-fitted around a set of physical buttons that could be used for labeling/extra UI functions, which seems to be what Nintendo just patented.

looks very similar to what's being described. the goal of making the buttons usable while still not covering usable screen real estate will be interesting.

smh at everyone in this thread not reading the patents and saying "touchscreen control lol"

shit.

reading is fundamental. look at all of those words posted along with the pictures.......... I know the pictures are shiny.. but really.. look at the words also. :\

Based on a mock-up we already established that the buttons will most definitely DO block the gameplay. No buy from me.

Seriously, people. Just imagine playing your 3DS, the main action (and everything that YOU NEED to see) still happens on where the screen currently is. But we have more screen around that showing surroundings and stuff. Also, the use of on-screen prompts around the buttons showed on the application is really interesting and clever.

It is not like a patent application is a deal made with blood with the devil. They can add more buttons if they feel like.

It seems like the whole point of this is to not have physical traditional button layouts though, and have game/context specific touch controls to supplement the two analog sticks. If they were just going to throw a bunch of buttons and sticks on it like a 3ds why have the screen?

In general this idea always seemed like a waste of screen real estate and probably battery to have a screen that will be covered by your hands.

What a load of utter bollocks. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that NX is their last shot. You don't even know what NX is. This kind of rhetoric was old in 2006.

Griss

There's just so much thought put into that patent in terms of how the thing would play that it really does have the feel of a strong potential handheld NX. Either that or something they've been experimenting with / testing for a long time.

One thing I'm unclear on - those two 'things' on the screen - are they buttons or trackpads?

You then have two shoulder buttons. If the sticks/pads are clickable that would be 4 buttons + virtual buttons. That's not enough for me, but Nintendo knows what they're doing when it comes to basic interactive feedback and controls.

What's interesting is the idea that the shape of the screen increases immersion as it would fit to a person's FOV. To me it seems more likely that that wouldn't happen, and you'd end up wasting a bunch of processing power rendering pixels that are going to be constantly covered by thumbs.

This is the kind of weird invention I'm expecting from Nintendo, though, for sure.

Nanashrew

Banned
Unless I'm reading it wrong, the specific implications of the patent really just imply the use of a free form touch display, which is a sensible evolution of the Wii U GamePad technology by more coherently blending the secondary screen with the controller layout. That, itself, really doesn't tell you much. It is essentially the Wii U as you know with the screen operating across a greater surface volume and localised around the physical inputs themselves. And obviously that means data on the screen could be more sensibly related to the physical inputs simply due to proximity (like notes/tabs appearing around the control sticks).

It doesn't really tell you just what kind of direction Nintendo would go in terms of physical inputs versus touch. I personally would be deterred by a controller that abandons almost all but sticks for digital touch buttons, tactile feedback is important to me, but the patent doesn't specify one direction or the other of a complete controller, simply that a free form touch display could be used for supplementing functions.

And yeah, it's basically a way to keep the GamePad idea (I think off-screen play would be a major factor in this) while combining it with traditional controller layouts in an effort to more elogantly hybridise the two instead of the GamePad's big ol shitty screen in the middle of two controller halves.

I personally don't give a shit about off screen play, since the benefits of a second screen are in supplementing the main display and/or bridging mechanics, so the patent doesn't say much to me beyond returning the GamePad idea souped up (and thats fine).

That's how I read it too. We've had other patents show up too for controller/handheld use like the use of scroll wheels. There's no telling what the end product will look like.

T.E.D

Banned
Read the OP again, patent mentions physical buttons smh.

No doubt there are physical buttons but it looks like they're leaning heavily on virtual layouts along the lines of smartphones...

In all honesty, virtual buttons are not that bad. I know it might turn some people off but I've been playing games on emulators through my smartphone for yearsand when you get used to them they're not actually that bad....and the customization is great.

Colby

I'm completely against touchscreen controls that detract from the view of the game, like most of us here. But this is Nintendo -- a lot of their games require precise controls for movement and directional input. They've been on point in regards to controls pretty much forever. If this is their next handheld iteration, they'll have a solution for precise controls. Nintendo does a lot of things wonky, but they won't mess up precision controls. Their flagship titles need them.

Air

Banned
Yeah. I'm starting to think the virtual buttons are akin to a digital keyboard (think of what Apple said about physical keyboards when they unveiled the iPhone). By allowing the stick to move, be pressed in and whatever else, you can map actions from the touch screen to it to play. In theory, you wouldn't need anything more than that stick to play a game. The bonus would be if the stick were a 4 way directional pad and an analog stick somehow.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, I don't see a problem for games being playable / games being shared across a family of devices / whatever due to the free-form display here. I mean, if the controller is long enough, it can contain a 16:9 "screen-part" where the game is visualized, and the sides with buttons would be outside of the actions...but they could do some neat stuff with that, like customisable touch interface (adding touch buttons near analogues and real buttons, for easy usage), or, like already done in other mockups, indications of the actions related to a specific input near / around that specific input (labels around buttons). You could also customize the background behind buttons in several ways...and all of this wouldn't prevent games to be compatible between handhelds and home consoles, wouldn't require games to be specifically designed for that controller so much that they can't be brought on other devices, and they wouldn't mean hands cover the action on screen.

lt519

I could live with a mix of physical and touch screen buttons. Some DS games kind of already used the touch screen well to compliment the physical buttons.

Vena

No doubt there are physical buttons but it looks like they're leaning heavily on virtual layouts along the lines of smartphones...

Thats not what this patent is about. The proposed inputs can be either physical or digital, but the patent isn't about the input control but how the haptic screen is incorporated in/around buttons and its integration with play.

Talking about buttons with regards to this patent is to not read or understand the patent.

Griss

Also, if they patent this thing as having two buttons and in the end they put the classic '4 button diamond' on the right side, as long as the tech remains the same the patent should still cover it. The patent doesn't mean it will have only two buttons on the front - it's about the fact that there ARE buttons on the screen.

I think some of the mockups here could be very close, but can't imagine a bezel-less screen. Add a bezel to a couple of those gifs and make them elliptical and we might be getting somewhere.

Thats not what this patent is about. The proposed inputs can be either physical or digital, but the patent isn't about the input control but how the haptic screen is incorporated in/around buttons and its integration with play.

Talking about buttons with regards to this patent is to not read the patent.

Exactly.

I would completely despise this kind of implementation. You lose visibility and screen real estate with that.

How do you?

You still get 16:9 viewport you get on the TV but you get a wider view.
borderlands-lg.jpg

Like that, the hud fits to 16:9 but you get a wider field of view with 21:9.

No it really doesn't. The ergonomics are terrible.

I play on this controller on daily basis and I disagree.

Besides, were people complaining mostly about the size of the thing? The controller on the patent sure looks like a normal-sized controller, unlike GamePad.

No, it's not.

Pro controller ain't, it's a wash then. What's your point?

Pro controller is godly. Point is Nintendo made something uncomfortable to play in the gamepad. Something he implied Nintendo has never done. Of course opinions yadda yadda but a sizable amount of people find it uncomfortable.

Top Bottom