• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application - Handheld (or controller?) featuring a free-form display

Griss

Card slot isn't relevant to the patent. Neither are the handles

But they are relevant to the state of mind of Nintendo's engineers when they came up with the proposed device.

It's quite possible that this is the NX handheld, and quite probably that if its not that it was planned to be at some time.

Hmm. Where do you see physical non-shoulder buttons in the drawings that aren't explained as touch buttons in the narrative? I'm not seeing them. I want you to be right, though.

They're not there. At first I thought 'operation stick' might comprise a potential button or any other kind of moveable / depressible object, but that doesn't make sense considering the word 'button' is used just after that. I got confused for a sec, for sure.

It's two sticks and two shoulder buttons.

Bytes

From the patent:

Holes are formed in left and right end portions of the display panel and the touch panel, and two operation sticks are provided through the two holes.

Sounds like two physical analog sticks to me.

The_Lump

Banned
Don't read too much into the shape/layout of the controller as depicted in the diagrams. Patent diagrams are simply there to communicate the concept behind what is being patented. It isn't a blueprint. Diagrams will usually purposfully not show the exact design of a device, unless that physical design is what is being patented of course (it isn't, in this case).

V. interesting concept it is though. Hype is building for this.

Rule #1 of handheld gaming: Do not let the user's fingers get in the way of the screen.

Even if this was the actual design of the controller, the portions of the screen being covered are extra portions of screen, added to the sides of a regular 16:9 display.

Rule #1 of handheld gaming: Do not let the user's fingers get in the way of the screen.

goodtouchad.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...wait, do people think those are the only buttons they would see on the controller? I mean, these patents' sketches shouldn't be taken as a fact in terms of what shape this thing is going to be or, you know, the amount of buttons this thing is going to have. The main concept here is the free-form display, alongside its implication and how does it work...we've had recent patents with handhelds without the analog, just to say.

maxcriden

This thread is like a check to see who actually read OP.
It's right in the first quote

I love reading patents man. As a guy trying to major in engineering design. Its always cool to see an ideal tech device and see what it's trying to do.

So to all my GAF buddies who *read* the text, correct if I'm wrong but here's what I got out from this patent.

-free form screen
-Physical sticks and buttons
-controller handles (maybe detachable?)
- guide images that will help novice players or rather novice console gamers that will help them adapt and learn the game better
- motion sensors
- on screen buttons
- some kind of card slot

Guys, the buttons aren't digital. Those pentagons are sticks/buttons, what is around those buttones are digital displays of what the button or stick could do if moved to one side or the other.

I find this really neat. Now you can have button description on the gamepad.

Although I would totally dislike if everything happened under my fingers, now that would be horrible. And this is obviously not the final form, I am so hyped!

To clarify, the patent shows physical shoulder buttons (20a/b), physical sticks that seem to be more like 3DS mini-sticks, and digital face buttons. There are no physical face buttons from what I understand. Please, seriously, correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

(As others have said though, patent does not necessarily equal actual design. And to jump in with what a poster said about Nintendo valuing the feel of playing a game, I totally agree. So even if there don't end up being physical face buttons, I trust in Nintendo to make sure it's still a device packed with fun regardless.)

Neoxon

From the patent:

Sounds like two physical analog sticks to me.
But it mainly uses touch-screen buttons instead of physical ones. Hopefully physical buttons are on the final product if Nintendo goes through with this for the NX Platform.

maxcriden

Don't read too much into the shape/layout of the controller as depicted in the diagrams. Patent diagrams are simply there to communicate the concept behind what is being patented. It isn't a blueprint. Diagrams will usually purposfully not show the exact design of a device, unless that physical design is what is being patented of course (it isn't, in this case).

V. interesting concept it is though. Hype is building for this.

Even if this was the actual design of the controller, the portions of the screen being covered are extra portions of screen, added to the sides of a regular 16:9 display.

Excellent points and the bolded in particular is heartening to me.

I for one think this looks cool. If the final product has more buttons, great. But if this got through R&D with just two clickable sticks, some triggers, and on-screen buttons, then obviously it works. It's up to Nintendo to convince you guys then, unless of course you're just going to write it off completely.

We'll see though. They don't even use half of their patents.

Rodin

I personally would be deterred by a controller that abandons almost all but sticks for digital touch buttons, tactile feedback is important to me, but the patent doesn't specify one direction or the other of a complete controller, simply that a free form touch display could be used for supplementing functions.
I agree, but... what if they use something similar to 3D Touch in combination with force feedback to emulate the "feel" of pressing buttons?

Neoxon

I for one think this looks cool. If the final product has more buttons, great. But if this got through R&D with just two clickable sticks, some triggers, and on-screen buttons, then obviously it works. It's up to Nintendo to convince you guys then, unless of course you're just going to write it off completely.

We'll see though. They don't even use half of their patents.
My issue would be the lack of any physical buttons, which would be bad news for games like Smash where you'd need the quick response given by physical buttons. Of course, if the GameCube Adapter is fair game for the NX Console, then I wouldn't be as worried (but my concerns would still exist).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't like it at all, what's the point of the extra pixels if they are being covered by fingers? They consume hardware power and battery without being visible.

I hope this is a patent for the controller(a sort of fancier wiiu pad) because handheld market's future is in Nintendo's hands, mistakes cannot be made or it's definitively over.

Instro

How do you?

You still get 16:9 viewport you get on the TV but you get a wider view.
borderlands-lg.jpg

Like that, the hud fits to 16:9 but you get a wider field of view with 21:9.

Given that may hands would be covering part of the playable area, I don't see how you wouldn't lose screen real estate in that kind of setup.

Oersted

Thats specifically the reason why the DS was back in the day designed the way it is and 3DS and WiiU are holding up the tradition. Nintendo knows it.

Griss

FIG. 10 shows a further example of the game screen 100. In the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 10, a button image 110 is displayed near the second operation stick 18b.
If the button image 110 is touched, for example, according to this, an instruction that is set to the button image 110 is input.
Therefore, by assigning to the button image 110 an instruction different from an instruction that is input when depressing the second operation stick 18b, it is possible to input more variegated instructions.
Furthermore, if the button image 110 is displayed supplementally (or additionally or supportively) to the second operation stick 18b in a range near the second operation stick 18b and the thumb on the right hand of the player reaches, it is possible to use the second operation stick 18b and the button image 110 as such a push button of the common game controller.

Am I the only one struggling to visualise what this part in particular means? Let me try and break it down in my mind...

Let's say 'Button image 110' means 'a digitally displayed button'. It's not a physical button, it's being rendered by the screen in the current game being played. If you touch the image, it functions as a button push. Okay, you'd expect that. Standard touchscreen behaviour.

Therefore, if the digital button does something different than depressing the stick, you get more inputs. Well... obviously? Why would they be set to the same thing? And does this mean clickable analogue sticks?

And as for that last sentence... what. Are they saying if you slide the stick in that direction AND reach far enough to tough the button, that that's a 3rd input? Like - Stick = Input 1. Digital button = Input 2. Stick + Digital Button at same time = Input 3. That makes no sense to me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My issue would be the lack of any physical buttons, which would be bad news for games like Smash where you'd need the quick response given by physical buttons. Of course, if the GameCube Adapter is fair game for the NX Console, then I wouldn't be as worried (but my concerns would still exist).

It could be that like the steam controller they'll have a series of buttons on that back that your fingers can operate. Like your thumbs rest on the joysticks, index fingers on the triggers, and the rest of your fingers get some buttons too.

ZarKryn7

]Furthermore, a card slot 40 is provided in a center portion of the upper surface of the housing 12. The card slot 40 can be attached with various kinds of card storage media such as a game cartridge, an SD card, a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, etc. Therefore, the information processing apparatus 10 reads (acquires) a program and data from the card storage medium that is attached to the card slot 40, or writes a program and data into a card storage medium. It should be noted that the program is a program for an application such as a game, and the data is data used for processing of the application. Furthermore, in some cases, a personal authentication may be performed.

Card slot isn't relevant to the patent. Neither are the handles

There is a card slot. Learn to read.

Oersted

patent_app_2zlkp1.png

This is the last controller patent by Nintendo. Already forgotten?

bomblord1

Banned
Am I the only one struggling to visualise what this part in particular means? Let me try and break it down in my mind...

Let's say 'Button image 110' means 'a digitally displayed button'. It's not a physical button, it's being rendered by the screen in the current game being played.

If you touch the image, it functions as a button push. Okay, you'd expect that. Standard touchscreen behaviour.

Therefore, if the digital button does something different than depressing the stick, you get more inputs. Well... obviously? Why would they be set to the same thing? And does this mean clickable analogue sticks?

And as for that last sentence... what. Are they saying if you slide the stick in that direction AND reach far enough to tough the button, that that's a 3rd input? Like - Stick = Input 1. Digital button = Input 2. Stick + Digital Button at same time = Input 3. That makes no sense to me.

I'm reading it as if you push the stick into the direction shown on the screen (for example towards the bomb in picture with the 6 buttons) and depress the sticks it would be registered as a separate button press.

I don't really know what to make of all these patents surrounding NX. The scroll wheel shoulder buttons seem great, while this might just be a minor thing. Still wondering what Nintendo sees as the big innovation that will get masses of people to buy the hardware.

Analog sticks are an evolution of joysticks, of which the first popular home consoles (Atari 2600) was based around. D-Pads are also functionally similar to early joysticks. Shoulder buttons were also a natural evolution based on how controllers were held. Point is these advancements all have one thing in common, they are physical buttons. There is a reason why the touchpad and sixaxis in the DS4 are rarely used.

Stuff like that and this controller is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Be honest, they all have the following in common: You like them.

But they are relevant to the state of mind of Nintendo's engineers when they came up with the proposed device.

It's quite possible that this is the NX handheld, and quite probably that if its not that it was planned to be at some time.

I wonder if they would put something in a patent just as a smoke screen. Not saying I'm convinced this won't be the handheld.

Neoxon

patent_app_2zlkp1.png

This is the last controller patent by Nintendo. Already forgotten?
It could also be for the NX Handheld. But like this, it's only a patent to demonstrate the idea for scrollable shoulder buttons or, in this case, a touch screen that encompasses the whole controller. We could see a combination of both in the final product for all we know. But either way, I just hope that physical buttons on the face remain a part of the controller for the NX Console & as part of the NX Handheld.

Oersted

It could also be for the NX Handheld. But like this, it's only a patent to demonstrate the idea for scrollable shoulder buttons or, in this case, a touch screen that encompasses the whole controller. We could see a combination of both in the final product for all we know. But either way, I just hope that physical buttons on the face remain a part of the controller for the NX Console & as part of the NX Handheld.

Buttons as handheld only because....?

They're not there. At first I thought 'operation stick' might comprise a potential button or any other kind of moveable / depressible object, but that doesn't make sense considering the word 'button' is used just after that. I got confused for a sec, for sure.

It's two sticks and two shoulder buttons.

Sticks seem to be clickable.

On the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 11(A), by touching the item image 120, an item can be used. Since the item image 120 is thus displayed near the first operation stick 18a and the second operation stick 18b, it is possible to use an item by selecting a desired item by a touch input and depressing the first operation stick 18a or the second operation stick 18b near the item, for example. This is an example and should not be limited. When instructing the use of an item, the first operation stick 18a or the second operation stick 18b should just be pushed.

BuggyMike

It always sucks when we get fascinating patent threads like these and they just get derailed by how many buttons it might or might not have. It's a patent not a blueprint.

HooYaH

Cool concept, let's just hope there is a much larger battery life and the cost to be around under $130 per controller.

Neoxon

Buttons as handheld only because....?
I never meant to say that buttons were only for the NX Handheld. I was saying that the main point of the patent shown in your post was to demonstrate the shoulder buttons. What I'm hoping for is a mix of the two while retaining physical buttons for both.

Nanashrew

Banned

You likely will still see face buttons with how Nintendo likes buttons and have discussed many times that buttons are important. However, I also wonder what they're controller may look like and if they decide to put any buttons on the back like the Steam controller.

These patent threads are pretty fun to read. First you have insight on some cool Nintendo ideas. Then you have people basically already deciding to buy or not buy based on some diagram that may not have anything to do with the final product. I'd say the NX won't be like what the vast majority of those already making up their mind envision.

Oersted

I never meant to say that buttons were only for the NX Handheld. I was saying that the main point of the patent shown in your post was to demonstrate the shoulder buttons. What I'm hoping for is a mix of the two while retaining physical buttons for both.

The patent does contain face buttons. And yes, the main point of the former patent were the shoulder buttons and now the display. Thats why the "Where are my buttons?", which completely derailed the whole thread, is very pointless.

PantsuJo

It always sucks when we get fascinating patent threads like these and they just get derailed by how many buttons it might or might not have. It's a patent not a blueprint.
Exactly, the main selling point is how much will cost the gamepad.
The WiiU tablet-controller raised the price of the system at absurd levels.

Office-Pyramid-tablet.jpg

A 100% touch based screen with an oval shaped viewing ratio where the viewing field is reduced both due to the inherent shape of the screen and the user's fingers covering portions of it? Wow, that looks and sounds like one awful, unpleasing concept. I really hope large parts of this one got scrapped or revised at some point.

yeah... love the idea of that free-form display, but physical face buttons are a must imo. I stopped playing smartphone games years ago because of this. Touch screen buttons just aren't that fun and feel less immersive. I'm not apposed to them for menu selections and the like, but for action-based movements like jumping and shooting and such, you need real physical buttons. I hope this changes, if this is indeed the direction they'e going with in their next controller.

T.E.D

Banned
Never because a Nintendo smartphone would be shit and that'd be an awful idea. Smartphones rely on subsidizing to even be reasonable prices in most cases, not to mention Nintendo knows next to nothing about that industry and it'd probably be Android based

Finally, third party support. ;)

Would be cool to combine this with the scroll wheel shoulder buttons. I'd like for more experimentation on input methods but they should also allow for normal inputs as well
The patent isn't indicative of the buttons or the form factor so much as the technology and how it would be utilized. Just like the scroll wheel patent has 2 buttons but it's just to show off the idea in a simple manner

Hrm well, this is something. Lotta damn specifics in that patent app too. To some extent it makes more sense than a WiiU gamepad, but I still anticipate the majority knee-jerk reaction will be skepticism rather than fascination.

I'm not feeling the shape at all for a screen, I won't lie.

Top Bottom