• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application - Handheld (or controller?) featuring a free-form display

Ok, people said that there are buttons, but where? I see the shoulder buttons, the two analogs.

fig1_abxrsuj.png

Yeah, I didn't like this idea when it was first brought to light, and I still don't like it now.

Touchscreen buttons will always be inferior to real buttons, and having part of the screen sitting under my hands and thumbs seems like a ridiculous waste of time, money and processing power for something I'll never actually see. Besides which, it'd be so far away from where my eyes are going to be focused, that there'd be no point in displaying anything even if I were the invisible man, and actually be able to see it.

Honestly if this is the NX's main controller and/or handheld, then I'm not buying it.

Air

Banned
Ok, people said there are buttons, but where? I see the shoulder buttons, the two analogs.

The analogues can click in like buttons. I think there's an image of it in toward the bottom of the op. It also seems like you can program the buttons too.

Here's one summary of what the NX is going to be, based on all of these patents:

- The Nintendo NX controller has a screen - but instead of being a discrete screen, the screen is embedded into the body of the controller itself (see Figure 9b to get a better idea) (this ties into the Sharp freeform screen patent Nintendo filed a while back).
- The screen is a capacitive touchscreen, like on a smartphone, tablet, or the PS Vita.
- The controller has two analog sticks and four shoulder buttons, a speaker, as well as a cartridge slot.
- The controller has a discrete computing unit, and it can offload processing to the main console (this ties into the cloud processing patent that Nintendo filed a while back).
- The second screen is strictly used as a supplemental screen- the examples in the patent include for instance a weapon wheel showing up right next to the analog stick in a shooter. - This means that the controller can effectively be programmed for whatever button layout the developer wants, instead of a game having to be made for the controller.
- The controller seems to be a discrete handheld unit.
- The screen is 16:9.
- The screen may be autosterescopic 3D, like on the New 3DS.

Basically, it sounds like the NX has a discrete handheld that also acts as the console's controller. The handheld is a powerful system that has its own cartridge slot, and can offload processing onto the main console unit when necessary. The handheld does not have a discrete screen - it's very body is a screen. When acting as a controller, the handheld's screen provides for infinitely reprogammable buttons, meaning games are no longer designed around, or held back by, controllers - the controller gets infinite versatility, while also sticking to the kind of shape and layout that consumers are most familiar with.

Assuming they're actually going to use all the patents that have been filed recently, which is very doubtful.

EDIT: Looking through this thread, it's obvious that there are many, many people here who don't understand patents, how they work, what the illustrations represent, and how often companies actually implement the patents they file.

I'm just going to leave this thread before I get more frustrated.

I think I need to see it in action to even being to understand it. The I need to have a go myself to see if I'll enjoy playing it. Just like when the Wii was new.

Can anyone give me an example of a free-form screen?

Free-form displays, invented and made by Sharp, are actually so modern, no device as of this day uses them.

And even these automotive demo units don't show all possibilities of free-form displays like the ability to make holes in the screen (for buttons/sticks).

Ok, people said that there are buttons, but where? I see the shoulder buttons, the two analogs.

Basically, pushable slide pads (which should feel differently from clickable analog sticks).

jblank83

Here's one summary of what the NX is going to be, based on all of these patents:

- The Nintendo NX controller has a screen - but instead of being a discrete screen, the screen is embedded into the body of the controller itself (see Figure 9b to get a better idea) (this ties into the Sharp freeform screen patent Nintendo filed a while back).
- The screen is a capacitive touchscreen, like on a smartphone, tablet, or the PS Vita.
- The controller has two analog sticks and four shoulder buttons, a speaker, as well as a cartridge slot.
- The controller has a discrete computing unit, and it can offload processing to the main console (this ties into the cloud processing patent that Nintendo filed a while back).

You know, supplementing computation with the controllers means local multiplayer performance doesn't degrade no matter how many players you add (theoretically), as they all would be increasing processing capability to compensate for increased load. You can also accomplish multi without split screening.

The_Lump

Banned
Quoting for the next page as GAF seems to largely miss this point.

Failing that it's right there in the OP too:

DISCLAIMER
As always with patents, the specific design/setup won't necessarily make it to a -potential- final product so don't get caught-up with details such as shape/form of shown device and/or physical button number/placement - the whole point of this seems to be the free-form display.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Need my physical buttons and sticks on the controller but would be fine with the display imagery "interacting" with the physical buttons which I think is what the patent is showing.

I loathe touch screen gaming. Nintendo will not go with a touchscreen only controller with no sticks/cross pads or buttons. NO WAY.

jblank83

Need my physical buttons and sticks on the controller but would be fine with the display imagery "interacting" with the physical buttons which I think is what the patent is showing.

It's a very nice idea. Decreases confusion, increases user interaction.

Only concern is cost and durability.

Lunar15

Shape of the blueprint doesn't matter. It's just to show concept.

That said, I'm not a gigantic fan of things where my thumb takes up screen real-estate.

Probably been posted already, but with all of the talk about no buttons...

From Figure 11 in the OP:

On the game screen 100 shown in FIG. 11(A), by touching the item image 120, an item can be used. Since the item image 120 is thus displayed near the first operation stick 18a and the second operation stick 18b, it is possible to use an item by selecting a desired item by a touch input and depressing the first operation stick 18a or the second operation stick 18b near the item, for example. This is an example and should not be limited. When instructing the use of an item, the first operation stick 18a or the second operation stick 18b should just be pushed.

Basically, you only select the weapon with touch input on the screen, then, to actually use it, you click the stick. It's more similar to DS touch input than mobile gaming touch input, it seems. This makes me wonder if the sticks themselves are new. Maybe they feel more like regular face buttons in that, when you push on them, they have a solid press instead of an instant click?

Anth0ny

Wouldn't this mean a lot of processing is wasted on tendering things that are covered up by a person's hands?

if I'm reading this correctly, yeah.

which would be literally the dumbest shit they've ever done. and nintendo has done some duuuuuuuuuuumb shit.

Guys, calm down. Everything's gonna be okay.
VWr6I.gif

Really though, this is super exciting news and I've been waiting for someone to use the free-form displays in a consumer product. I trust Nintendo to do it right. A lot of people thought that the GamePad was a horrible idea originally but I love that thing and the NX controller can only be better.

Peru

I'm sure there'll be more buttons on the final product. Face buttons are necessary for platforming. But it does seem like we're getting a real idea now of how NX handheld will be. 540p with a really funky screen. It's a design thing more than anything - it'll look really cool. Of course important information won't be put where your thumbs may cover.

Please don't post if you don't understand technology. It's all about free-form display.

He can post whatever he wants? Who are you to tell him not to?

A free form display would be weird and I wouldn't feel comfortable blocking out some areas of the screen with my palms. I'm sure Nintendo is aware of that so I'll wait until we actually see the NX before I pass anymore judgement.

maxcriden

The patent does contain face buttons. And yes, the main point of the former patent were the shoulder buttons and now the display. Thats why the "Where are my buttons?", which completely derailed the whole thread, is very pointless.

I don't think it's pointless. On the contrary it can make for a good debate. Regardless, where are you seeing face buttons? I'm only seeing digital face buttons.

maxcriden

Yeah, I don't really think so either, but like I said, what they mean is perhaps there are some games that were in development before NX got fast-tracked, and Nintendo doesn't want to bother porting them, so that'll be the rest of the support. I'd imagine Pikmin 4 for example is one of them. They still may get ports to NX, but the idea is that they were long term projects started in say 2013, and Nintendo doesn't deem them important enough to port, so they decided they'll release them on Wii U after NX comes out and call it support.

I think you might be right but uI wonder how wise it would be to not port something like Pikmin to NX when the series relative to user base has significantly increased in popularity with the Wii U iteration.

The_Lump

Banned
Having sticks place right in the "middle" of the screen seems like a rather silly idea.

Again. Not a patent about control layout.

But still, even if it was, it's much more like 'Having extra screen all the way around the sticks' than it is having sticks in the middle of the screen.

Galava

The fact that the patent only shows two buttons on the front doesn't mean it's going to have only two, they are just a placeholder to say: "We can put buttons in there." There is no way Nintendo goes with virtual buttons. If this is what its going to look like, there will be the same physical buttons as today + touch screen. (And if it's 3D, whoah)

Fredrik

Nintendo will not go with a touchscreen only controller with no sticks/cross pads or buttons. NO WAY.
Well they usually want to be different... :/
But I agree, touch controls simply doesn't work to simulate digital button inputs. They seem to have sticks though and shoulder buttons, but the D-pad and face buttons are gone. Not sure if the sketches show touch face buttons though, could they be screen labels for the stick positions?

j-wood

Please don't post if you don't understand technology. It's all about free-form display.

I do understand technology. Free form display is basically just letting us give our displays a shape? Unless I'm missing some revelation here, then that means we still cell phone controls, but the display can be modeled around controller handles.

Galava

I do understand technology. Free form display is basically just letting us give our displays a shape? Unless I'm missing some revelation here, then that means we still cell phone controls, but the display can be modeled around controller handles.

Yeah, basically cut the screen and make holes to put buttons for example.

Top Bottom