• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Rich!

It was disappointing to find that ZL and ZR on my N3DS just doubled up for L targeting and the shield. I mean...damn, were two extra item slots really too much to ask for!? Would have been perfect for switching masks on the go!

I would remove the description for what all the masks tho. It's really fun finding that out as part of the game. I've played this game a bunch of times, but I've forgotten what most of the masks do so I'm actively avoiding finding out beforehand :p

Yeah I agree. That's pretty spoilery. Even for folks who played it 15 years ago and are returning for this.

Edzi

So those obnoxious as fuck "purists" will eat crow, or convince themselves the changes "ruined" the MM experience?

The amount of hostility towards people who are unhappy with the changes is astounding. Seriously, I'm sorry I liked the original for reasons that were different than yours.

Its amazing. Its the best thing a MM fan could ever want.

Read my post above!

Ehhh, let's agree to disagree on that one. ;) That being said, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it though.

Anth0ny

Majora's Mask is the greatest game ever made. To all the first time players out there, enjoy! Don't be intimidated by the timer. It's one of the reasons why this game is so special. Follow the steps below if you are feeling rushed.

How to complete dungeons in Majora's Mask (for newcomers)

Step 1. Reach the dungeon, activate the owl statue near the entrance of the dungeon.

Step 2. Warp to Clock Town with the Song of Soaring, deposit rupees at bank, play song of time.

Step 3. Play inverted song of time. Now warp back to the entrance of the dungeon. You now have three full, slow days to complete the dungeon. If that's still not enough time, git gud.

samn

After reading all this I have to wonder why they didn't simply make time progress slowly by default and have the optional song for speeding things up?

edit - I guess it could make the starting area more tedious..?

I'll get the steelbook version on friday and play this for the first time. I was already kind of done with N64 when it came out, so I never got the chance to play it. I know the basic features, items and locations, but from a story/progression standpoint I'm going in pretty much blind.

Just something I've been wondering, does the new C-Stick or CPP have any actual use in gameplay or is it just optional for moving the camera around? Can you move the camera any other way with an old 3DS?

Kinsei

Banned
After reading all this I have to wonder why they didn't simply make time progress slowly by default and have the optional song for speeding things up?

edit - I guess it could make the starting area more tedious..?

That and there's one section that's harder with time slowed down.

TheMoon

The amount of hostility towards people who are unhappy with the changes is astounding. Seriously, I'm sorry I liked the original for reasons that were different than yours.

While I don't necessarily agree with the hostility, it appropriately mirrors the hostility in many of those original complaints.

It was disappointing to find that ZL and ZR on my N3DS just doubled up for L targeting and the shield. I mean...damn, were two extra item slots really too much to ask for!? Would have been perfect for switching masks on the go!

Does the Dpad do anything this time? In OOT3D it is unused and I would have loved to put the I and II items on it.

Majora's Mask is the greatest game ever made. To all the first time players out there, enjoy! Don't be intimidated by the timer. It's one of the reasons why this game is so special. Follow the steps below if you are feeling rushed.

How to complete dungeons in Majora's Mask (for newcomers)

Step 1. Reach the dungeon, activate the owl statue near the entrance of the dungeon.

Step 2. Warp to Clock Town with the Song of Soaring, deposit rupees at bank, play song of time.

Step 3. Play inverted song of time. Now warp back to the entrance of the dungeon. You now have three full, slow days to complete the dungeon. If that's still not enough time, git gud.

Fascinating.

TheMoon

I'll get the steelbook version on friday and play this for the first time. I was already kind of done with N64 when it came out, so I never got the chance to play it. I know the basic features, items and locations, but from a story/progression standpoint I'm going in pretty much blind.

Just something I've been wondering, does the new C-Stick or CPP have any actual use in gameplay or is it just optional for moving the camera around? Can you move the camera any other way with an old 3DS?

The only New3DS enhancement is the C-Stick for the camera. The Circle Pad Pro does the same on an old 3DS. That's it, nothing else.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Does it have to reboot an old 3DS to play like Smash Bros and MH4?

Crayolan

Unfortunately I won't be able to play my copy until early march, but I'm looking forward to reading impressions from both newcomers and veterans.

Protip: you can get a heart piece on the first cycle.

Rich!

Does the Dpad do anything this time? In OOT3D it is unused and I would have loved to put the I and II items on it.

Its used for Tatl and menu navigation. Nothing else.

Just curious, how is it barebones in comparison?

Well. Here's what I've noticed so far through playing my copy today:

- entirely new map system. You can zoom in, move using the touchscreen, etc. Its brilliant. The world map (top screen) is a 3D rendition of a paper map that changes depending on the time. OOT had a low res scan of the hyrule map from the old instruction manual, and the area maps were basic as shit.

- Many areas have been totally rejigged. Clock town is bigger. Things moved around. More trees and foliage in connecting roads outside.

- two new fishing areas.

- The bombers notebook is now an entirely new management system that is almost crazy in how much it holds and offers

- new cutscenes in certain areas.

- entirely new lighting in certain areas which change the look of the area dramatically. OOT3D didn't really have any real deviation from the original apart from the Ice Cave.

- redesigned boss battles. Odolwa was awesome to fight and requires strategy now rather than just running up and hitting him with a sword a few times

- the entire game feels just like its had a significant amount of care, thought and effort put into it imo, far more than OOT3D seemed to have

Kinsei

Banned
Did you find all of the Snowhead fairies Rich? If so did they remove the hidden area that that was actually kind of hard to find?

LostAnkh

I remember purchasing the original with Ocarina of Time when I was in Intermediate school and going to my friend's house to test them out. Then I find out that I needed the expansion which I had no clue about at the time, and had to ask my mother to buy it for me. I really regret doing that, since it was the only game I bought that supported it.

Shocking news to any die-hard Majora's Mask fan, I never beat it. I wasn't keen on the way the game played with it's 3 day cycle, and I was loving every moment of Ocarina of Time that I completely forgot about Majora's Mask. Now that I'm giving it another chance, I hoping I can see what everyone else sees in this Zelda title, and to have fun with it.

Two actually.

If they didn't remove it, you can glitch behind the eastern soldier to get outside of clock town and get a heart piece from the tree near the entrance to southern swamp, getting 4 Heart Pieces in the first cycle;

1 from the entrance to the clock tower
1 from the deku scrub mini-game (Have to play on all 3 days)
1 from the southern swamp tree
1 from giving the title deed to the hand in the stock pot inn after 12 am of the first night

Kinsei

Banned
If they didn't remove it, you can glitch behind the eastern soldier to get outside of clock town and get a heart piece from the tree near the entrance to southern swamp, getting 4 Heart Pieces in the first cycle;

1 from giving the title deed to the hand in the stock pot inn after 12 am of the first night

Oh shit, you can actually give the deed to the hand on the first cycle?I always thought you had to be Hylian to do that.

They changed the geometry up quite a bit, I would be surprised if the glitch still works.

Rich!

Hey guys! shove this in your ocarina and play it!!

RLY RLY

Yes, rly. It will help you play the game without running out of time.

Remember, RLY RLY!!!

Kinsei

Banned
I didn't know about the nerf to ice arrows. Is that huge? Does that just make the water temple easier?

It makes that temple easier and you now can;t mess around with them on the overworld anymore. They might as well have just removed the item completely.

Krakn3Dfx

Excited, used my $25 Dell eGift card from buying GTA5 on this, so got it for $18 shipped, and then getting another $25 Dell eGift card on top. Never played Majora's Mask, so definitely looking forward to checking this out.

ss_lemonade

Does the game take advantage of the faster hardware of the n3ds? As much as I want to get the new 3ds through something like trading via gamestop, my current og 3ds isn't in a trade-able state anymore due to a faulty top screen that requires pressure for colors to come back :(. At least I still have a CCP, didn't know this game was going to support that

samn

Does the game take advantage of the faster hardware of the n3ds? As much as I want to get the new 3ds through something like trading via gamestop, my current og 3ds isn't in a trade-able state anymore due to a faulty top screen that requires pressure for colors to come back :(. At least I still have a CCP, didn't know this game was going to support that

You only get the C-stick camera control.

I never had an issue finding out about the different ways to play the song of time. I figured it out as a kid, and seeing how many people missed it is dumbfounding. So many people must've loved this game because they are going out of their way to explain to people how to play this game.

Which is ironic considering the vocal fanbase hates hand holding in Zelda games, people are essentially doing that on message boards.

Dragonflame323

Neo Member
Is there much in the way of new content for someone who knows this game by heart? Either way I'll gladly plunge through this amazing game again.

Kinsei

Banned
Is there much in the way of new content for someone who knows this game by heart? Either way I'll gladly plunge through this amazing game again.

Two new fishing holes, some stray fairies have been moved, some heart pieces have been moved, and some masks have been moved.

Best Zelda game ever! Really excited to play through MM again.

With all the changes in the bosses, I hope that
they revamped Majora's fight a bit. The original one was a bit of a letdown because it was so easy, hope they switch it up this time.

Just some constructive criticism on the OP:

As someone that has played the game, I feel like the OP gives away far too much. Did you really need to mention how the fairies
meet the Skull Kid?
Or did the
Four Giants
really need to be in the OP? And why list every mask including the
Fierce Deity Mask?
I think new players would enjoy discovering these things for themselves by playing the game.

I know that some of these things have been shown or referenced in other games like Smash Bros or Hyrule Warriors, but lets not assume that these things have already been spoiled for everyone. The OP is well put together, I just think that it'd be improved if you omitted some things.

On a different note, maybe someone that has the game early can answer this. In OoT you had the Stone of Agony which would make the controller rumble when you were near a secret, which was replaced with the Shard of Agony in OoT 3D giving you an on-screen prompt instead. The Stone Agony's functionality was in Majora's Mask but wasn't an item you needed to get, your controller just vibrated when you were near a secret hole, how is this being handled in MM 3D?

We in this now!

Apocalypse of fiery destruction is...

elite-beat-agents-agents-are-go-com.jpg

Scum

I'm just amazed at how much they've changed. And all of it works. Even the nerfed deku hop isn't that bad, really.

Its just so surprising just how much effort has been put into this compared to OOT3D. Not just in terms of adjusting the core game, but new menus, new map system, entirely ridiculously over the top notebook system, severely overhauled graphics in some areas and even the controls feel more refined. And then you have really nice touches like the world map of Termina, which is a real 3D version of a paper map, which is all brand new assets that changes depends on time of day...compared to OOT3D which just used a basic ass scan of the Hyrule map from the booklet artwork.

Never ever ever thought Nintendo would put this much effort into Majoras Mask. And its nice to see they've put more effort into it than they did with OOT3D. As they should have.

hqdefault.jpg

Soul Beat

Why can't it be Friday already?! D: I dunno if I should go to the midnight release or just get it in the morning...decisions, decisions...

Kevin

So we have a video of the swamp fishing hole, does anyone have a video of the second fishing hole or know where it's even located in the game?

Top Bottom