• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Kriken

PLEASE TREAT THIS AS A NEW RELEASE AND MARK YOUR SPOILERS, THANKS.

Special Thanks to LastNac on the assistance

Title: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Platform: Nintendo new3DS, 3DS and Nintendo 2DS
Release Dates: February 13, 2015 for North America/Europe; February 14, 2015 for Japan/Australia
Developer: Grezzo
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
Genre: Action Adventure
Size: 661 MB/~5288 blocks

header1kcnnurt.png

ctr_zeldamm_ts_eur_dummy__large.jpg

ctr_zeldamm_spbdl_eu8_ps_dummy__large.jpg
B6rSOu9IUAI9fM_.jpg:large

majoras-mask-3ds.jpg
photo-8.jpg

(US version does not include the game)

header2kc0nuvy.png

In the land of Hyrule, there echoes a legend. A legend held dearly by the Royal Family that tells of a boy... A boy who, after battling evil and saving Hyrule, crept away from the land that had made him a legend... Done with the battles he once waged across time, he embarked on a journey. A secret and personal journey... A journey in search of a beloved and invaluable friend... A friend with whom he parted ways when he finally fulfilled his heroic destiny and took his place among legends...

On Link’s journey, he is ambushed by the Skull Kid and his faeries. The Skull Kid takes Epona from Link and curses Link to be a Deku Scrub. After being left behind, Tatl joins Link to help him become normal again and stop the Skull Kid. On his way to the land of Termina, Link is confronted by the Mask Salesman who informs Link that he is searching for the Mask that the Skull Kid stole from him. As the Salesman is a busy man, he gives Link a 3-day deadline to find the mask and sends Link off into Clock Town. In Clock Town, the townsfolk are preparing for the festival occurring in 3 days while some worry about the moon which seems to approach the town. Link soon discovers that the moon will crash into the town in 3 days and it is up to him and Tatl to protect Termina.

header3kckau5u.png

Wait, I can't save like Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker? What gives?
Unlike OoT, WW, and most other Zelda games, you could not save whenever you wanted, but rather you required an owl statue. It was a unique feature at the time, but with ALBW and SS, it seems to have been ironed out.
I can't beat all the dungeons in 3 days! How am I going to beat this game?
You don't need to beat this game in one cycle; all you have to do is play the Song of Time to save and restart the cycle. You can attempt unlimited cycles.
So how much time do I even get per cycle?
It’s supposed to be an hour, but there have been variations reported. However, this overall amount of time will be affected by the songs you use to end up with more or less time.
Wait, what songs affect the flow of time?
See this guy? He is a lifesaver and will teach you two songs that will help you
What happens when I restart the cycle?
All of your quantifiable items get reset (i.e. deku sticks, bombs, rupees, etc), as is any progress made in incompleted dungeons and sidequests. However, completed dungeons do not need to be fully cleared again, and you keep all the masks, bottles, and heart pieces acquired. In addition, any rupees deposited in the bank will be accessible.
How many masks do I NEED to get?
Outside of the 3 transformation masks?
3 additional are required
Hey, this isn’t as open-world as OoT, and there are only four dungeons! What gives?
To be honest, this is the least Zelda-esque game of the main series. It was originally made to capitalize off the success of OoT and was conceived as a Zelda gaiden game. It only had a year of development so, content-wise, it may seem oddly sparse. That all said, the majority of the game’s content derives from the sidequests and talking to the people who live in Termina. If you only decide to try clearing the dungeons, the game is fairly short; if you decide to pursue the sidequests, MM3D will make it worth your time.

header4kc99uqn.png

6nTmZUU.png

Link: After defeating Ganondorf, our protagonist sets out to find his friend, but
little did he know what could possibly await him.
Tatl-Art.png
Tael.png

Tatl &Tael: A set of faeries who befriended the Skull Kid.
The three friends cause trouble and mischief wherever they go. During a prank
on Link, Tatl gets separated from Tael and the Skull Kid and decides to work
with Deku Link to reunite with Tael and stop the Skull Kid. Tael, who remains
with the Skull Kid, seems to hold an earnest faith in him despite his cruel actions.
ZRIrR1G.png

Skull Kid: The main antagonist of the game, Skull Kid makes his introduction
by stealing the Ocarina of Time and Epona, cursing Link into a Deku body, and
abandoning Tatl. The vast majority of the evils in the land can be directly or indirectly
attributed to him, from threatening observatory instruments to attacking the boat
owner in the swamp to bringing the moon crashing down into Termina. Yet, the
more you talk to people, the more clear it becomes Skull Kid may have problems of his own.
ruqlIOi.png

Happy Mask Salesman: After selling masks in Hyrule, he sets out in search for
more masks and happens across the titular mask. When Skull Kid steals it, he follows
him to Termina and tasks Link with its retrieval in three days. How he got Majora’s Mask
in the first place or why he knows so much about it is still speculated upon to this day.
Majoras-Mask-Anju-Kafei.png

Anju: Anju runs the Stock Pot Inn and is the fiancée of Kafei. However, ever
since he ran off, she’s gotten rather upset and nervous.
Kaefi: Kaefi is the son of Mayor Dotour and the fiancé of Anju. His
disappearance has worried both his mother and his fiancée.
yzwUnq9.png

Cremia & Romani: The current proprietors of the Romani Ranch just outside
of Clock Town. Cremia, the older sister, runs the ranch and acts as a parent of sort
to her younger sister. Romani, the younger sister, is wise beyond her years and
desires to be recognized as an adult.
Stylin_scarecrow.jpeg

Pierre: A scarecrow who will teach the player the Inverted Song of Time
(LEARN THIS), as well as the Song of Double Time (useful for skipping to dawn)
and the Scarecrow’s Song (which provides a target for your grappling hook).
2uLfLh8.png

Deku King: The Deku King rules the Dekus, but, with his daughter’s
disappearance, he’s gone all-out in trying to find and punish her kidnapper, and
no one will stop him until she’s returned safely.
Deku_Princess_Artwork.png

Deku Princess: Princess to the Deku race, she went to the Woodfall temple
to stop the flow of poisoned water with her monkey friend. Before she could do
anything, she was kidnapped and taken prisoner.
cdPoOUy.png

Darmani: A fallen Goron Captain who died trying to save his village from
the eternal winter. He provides Link with his mask in hopes that Link will
succeed where he failed. When his mask is worn, Link is mistaken for Darmani
by, among others, the Goron Elder and his son.
K1eNxDn.png

Goron Elder: The Goron Elder, leader of the Gorons, went out in search
of their hero Darmani when he never returned from the temple. Now, days later,
there is still no Darmani and now no Elder.
LClytlh.png

Goron Elder's Son: This little Goron is found in the Goron Shrine, crying
loudly due to both his father’s disappearance as well as Darmani’s.
Mikau.jpg

Mikau: The guitarist of The Indigo-Gos, fatally wounded while going out to
save his (implied) girlfriend Lulu's eggs. With the hope that Link will rescue
Lulu’s children, Mikau allows his soul to be transformed into a mask. Link
makes a makeshift grave for him using his guitar.
Lulu_Artwork.png

Lulu: The singer of the Indigo-Go band and the (implied) girlfriend of Mikau,
Lulu lost her voice once her eggs were stolen and fell into despair.
84tuXB8.png

Indigo-Go's: A Zora band performing in the Great Bay Coast, composed
of five Zoras - however, with their guitarist missing and their singer rendered
mute, they may not get their chance to perform at the Festival of Time.
DuQnM7i.png

Tingle: This is the game Tingle originated in. So now you know where to
direct your letters of hate
or love
to. He is, in fact, a 35-year-old
man obsessed with fairies who will sell maps to Link.

header5kcwbuu2.png

• With the help of owl statues and the new feather statues, which can be found all over Termina, it is much easier to save. Owl statues now function as permanent saves. It should be noted that the Song of Time will no longer automatically save your game so, for returning players, please remember to save after restarting the cycle.
  • Odolwa and Goht received slight redesigns, adding new weak points. Twinmold has been redesigned completely with a new organization for its boss battle.
  • Song of Double Time now allows the player to choose an exact hour between 1 and 12 hours, so that the player can pick 6 AM/PM like in the original, and every hour in between depending on the time of day.
  • You get 7 bottles maximum instead of 6.
  • The Happy Mask Salesman gives the player the Bomber’s Notebook instead of the Bombers. Now the Bombers will give the player hints on certain side quests if the player needs it.
  • The Bomber’s Notebook adds the ability to add alarms for the player to remind themselves of certain events and will show maps of where characters are after you meet up with them
  • New 3DS and Circle Pad Pro allows for full 360 degree rotation of the camera.
  • The bank is now behind the Clock Tower instead of in West Clock Town.
  • Zora Link’s swimming speed has been nerfed and requires the electric shield to achieve high speeds, similar to the Goron’s rolling.
  • There are two new fishing holes.
  • The pictograph now takes full color pictures that are saved to the 3DS.
  • Ice arrows can now only freeze specific spots on the water surface.

header6kcv7uas.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvV56AJS8dY
http://a.pomf.se/ymspvm.gif
http://a.pomf.se/vspbiz.gif
http://a.pomf.se/dhdzfq.gif
http://a.pomf.se/cnzogi.gif
http://a.pomf.se/uothvy.gif

header7kc2zuh7.png

60px-Deku_Mask1.png

*Deku Mask: With this mask, Link is doomed to forever remain a
Deku Scrub
Or until he gets his Ocarina back
. As a Deku Scrub,
Link can use flowers to fly around for a short period of time. Deku Link can
attack by either spinning into the enemy, or charging a bubble. Deku Link
also has the ability to hop over water for a short period of time. Deku Link
suffers greater fall damage than Link and is weak to fire.
80px-Goron_Mask1.png

*Goron Mask: With this mask, Link can transform into a mighty Goron.
As a Goron, Link can curl into a ball and roll around, while curled up, Link
can either ground pound or speed roll with spikes. If all else fails, Link can
always rely on his trusty fists to punch his enemies. One thing Goron Link
cannot beat though is deep water, as he will drown and return to his original spot prior to the water.
80px-Zora_Mask.png

*Zora Mask: With this Mask, Link can finally discover what swimming
that doesn’t suck feels like. Zora Link can swim through the water and walk
on the surface at will, while swimming, Link can create a barrier of electric
current to speed up his swimming speed and attack enemies. While on the
ground, Link can fire his arm fins at enemies to either stun or defeat them.
Zora Link is weak to fire like Deku link, and also weak to ice.

header8kcoqux9.png

GameTrailers - 8.5/10
VideoGamer - 9/10
Nintendo Life - 10/10
Gamespot - 9/10
IGN - 8.7/10
Polygon - 9/10
Kotaku - Yes/10
Pocket Gamer - 10/10
Games Radar - 4.5/5
Game Informer - 9.25/10

And if this game's not for you, don't worry, just take refuge. We are fine here.
We shall greet the morning… together

Kriken

header9kcoyuul.png

The first cycle is probably the hardest for first timers, this post is meant to help those who need help understanding some of the finer details of this game

I know most Zelda players are conditioned to hate the partner
character since they never shut up, but for once, LISTEN to
what Tatl has to say. If you pay attention during the first cycle,
she will tell you exactly what to do.
http://i.imgur.com/51y4nIo.gif
If you have listened to Tatl as I said, you should at this point
have exited the fairy fountain with magic. One of the first things
you should see is a bomber trying to knock down a balloon.
This part should be obvious.
http://i.imgur.com/xtej3Bs.gif
Once you gain access to the bomber’s hideout, it’s very linear
in where you need to go; HOWEVER, do not, I repeat, DO NOT
ignore the scarecrow you see under the stairs. He will teach you
two valuable pieces of information.
http://a.pomf.se/prulwa.gif
So now you have completed the task in the observatory, now what?
Well now Tatl will recommend that you talk to people in the town.
Rather useless, right?
http://i.imgur.com/aE74FYT.gif
Well, yes and no. As a Deku Scrub, you will not be able to complete
any of the sidequests or minigames, except one. However, you
should remember the flower from earlier and if you haven’t already
been to the one in Clock Town, that’s where you need to go.
http://a.pomf.se/kxgmvg.gif
Congratulations, you have completed all the steps to beat the first
cycle. Everything else in town is completely optional and can be done
in future cycles.

The 3-day cycle seems to be the biggest hurdle after the first cycle as most people don’t have a full grasp of the concept. Once you understand it, it makes the game very easy and fun to play. To start off, there is no limit as to how many cycles you can have while playing the game. Beat it in 5 cycles or 99, game doesn’t care. Each cycle is approximately an hour. However, you can extend this to 2 hours and 42 minutes with the inverted song of time mentioned in the OP. Whenever you restart a cycle, all quantified useable items get reset to zero. As such, arrows and Deku Sticks get reset to zero, but your bow and masks will remain. Time will stop whenever you talk to an NPC, so there is no need to worry about getting stuck in a long conversation and losing an hour or two
With one or two exceptions, but you need to go out of your way for them

For completing a dungeon, failure to complete a dungeon in a single cycle will result in all of its puzzles being reset. if you find yourself unable to complete a dungeon in a single cycle, the best thing to do is at least have the owl statue outside of the dungeon activated and aim to get the dungeon item. Everything in the dungeon will reset except the dungeon item, and for all of the dungeons, you can take shortcuts with the dungeon item, thus making a second attempt easier. For new players, before entering a dungeon, look around the temple’s outside area for a cave. That is where you’ll need to take any stray fairies that you find. You’ll need to find all 15 to get a reward. These stray fairies may be in chests, trapped in bubbles, or out in the open; you’ll need to touch them to retrieve them.

Also, don’t worry about completing all the sidequests in a single cycle; the NPCs run on a set schedule every cycle. My personal advice with this is to determine when certain side quests will require your attention at certain times and complete different ones during different cycles to match what you’re doing in your current cycle. For example, the Bunny Hood requires two side quests on the 2nd and 3rd day. You happen to finish the first temple by the middle of day 2? Now you can focus on getting the bunny hood for the remainder of the cycle.

An additional note, here are the two most important songs
http://i.minus.com/ib0Xd0yDCL91WZ.png
http://i.minus.com/iUe3Lli6IGVdv.png
(Credit to richisawesome)

Weiss

Banned
I lucked out and managed to snag the limited edition with the Skull Kid figure. Pretty stoked about that.

Kouriozan

Nice OT!
Played a bit and finished the first dungeon, they changed some stray fairies locations, I had to re-check every rooms 3 times.
Well, it's a nice change for people knowing this game, at least.

Rich!

Yesss.

Got my copy today. 4 hours in, and I've just got the Goron mask. Was fucking weird when I got a reward of
double magic
for clearing all the stray fairies in woodfall. That was... Not what I expected.

Escalario

Banned
Finally the OT. I've got it today and beat the 1st cycle. The changes they've made kept the game's feel much more fresh despite being a remake.

Dizzy

Banned
This game looks amazing. I was underwhelmed from the videos but seeing it in purpose its easily the best looking 3DS game I've played.

Rich!

I'm just amazed at how much they've changed. And all of it works. Even the nerfed deku hop isn't that bad, really.

Its just so surprising just how much effort has been put into this compared to OOT3D. Not just in terms of adjusting the core game, but new menus, new map system, entirely ridiculously over the top notebook system, severely overhauled graphics in some areas and even the controls feel more refined. And then you have really nice touches like the world map of Termina, which is a real 3D version of a paper map, which is all brand new assets that changes depends on time of day...compared to OOT3D which just used a basic ass scan of the Hyrule map from the booklet artwork.

Never ever ever thought Nintendo would put this much effort into Majoras Mask. And its nice to see they've put more effort into it than they did with OOT3D. As they should have.

Majestad

Banned
Getting the Skull Kid figurine edition this Friday. Can't freaking wait!

For those who already have it, how godly is the game?

CHusson91

Banned
Why are people so quick to spoil the Song of Double Time and Inverted Song of Time?

Shouldn't players figure that kind of stuff out for themselves? The game is all about exploration and conversing with Clock Town's residents.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wish I had the song of time to reverse clicking on this thread. Chrome hates all those gifs.

Look forward to playing through this again. Wonder how much I remember.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cant unsee OP's moon wearing a kippah.

Rich!

Why are people so quick to spoil the Song of Double Time and Inverted Song of Time?

Shouldn't players figure that kind of stuff out for themselves? The game is all about exploration and conversing with Clock Town's residents.

Because the overwhelming majority of the criticism levelled at the original game was from people who complained that the time limit wasnt enough.

...BECAUSE THEY DIDNT USE THE REVERSE SONG OF TIME!!

both the reverse and double songs of time are essential to know about.

Awesome OT!

I'm still working my through OOT 3D, so it'll be a little while before I delve into Termina. Really looking forward to doing so.

Rich!

Awesome OT!

I'm still working my through OOT 3D, so it'll be a little while before I delve into Termina. Really looking forward to doing so.

OOT3D is absolutely barebones as a port/remaster compared to MM3D.

I'm stunned at just how much effort they've put into MM3D. It's amazing to play. Even the menus and maps are superb to mess with.

AdanVC

Let's do this!! I've never had the chance to play it originally on the N64 so this is going to be quite the experience to me :D. Amazing OT!

Rich!

So those obnoxious as fuck "purists" will eat crow, or convince themselves the changes "ruined" the MM experience?

I'm as much of a MM purist as you can get, and after playing to the second dungeon, I have no complaints.

Well, the c stick camera movement is fairly useless, and the added sound effects in some cutscenes are jarring...but the new save system is actually perfect for a handheld now I've got to use it, and the tension is still there.

Its just like using owl statues like before. Its absolutely fine.

I can safely say this is so far the best remaster/port I have ever played.

Luigi87

Finally... after all these years... after all of Nintendo's teasing... It's finally going to be here ;_;

Edit: Also the Garo mask no longer looks like how it does in the OP. It's now based on the Garo Master's mask.

Woffls

Yoooo I can't wait for all my EU goodies to arrive this week (hopefully). Picked up the MM 3DS and Special Edition of the game.

I advise new players to explore as much of this game as possible. All I'm sayin'.

Reverse Song of Time makes time go RLYRLY slow. Heh heh.

Kriken

Okay, done for now. Again sorry on the abundance of gifs, will edit information tomorrow when I'm not on mobile

Edit: fixed TheMoon

I'm as much of a MM purist as you can get, and after playing to the second dungeon, I have no complaints.

Well, the c stick camera movement is fairly useless, and the added sound effects in some cutscenes are jarring...but the new save system is actually perfect for a handheld now I've got to use it, and the tension is still there.

Its just like using owl statues like before. Its absolutely fine.
Ah well, hope c-stick is better in MH4.
I got that impression via demo.

Rich!

Ah well, hope c-stick is better in MH4.
I got that impression via demo.

MM's camera control is alright...but uh, its just totally unnecessary. There's not really any reason to ever use it.

Also, once you get the camera in a position, it locks to it until you press L again...which means lots of clipping through shit and not being able to see shit.

kubus

Awww yisss

Hope I can pick up my MM 3DS XL and the LE of the game tomorrow, hardest part will be deciding what I'm gonna play first, this or Monster Hunter.

I never beat Majoras Mask (never got close to beating it even) but it was my favorite game on the 64. I'm so psyched for this.

ekgrey

beautiful OT, great work. i hope i manage to get a n3DS soon. never played this on N64 but always loved the look and the feeling i get from screens.

Woffls

I would remove the description for what all the masks tho. It's really fun finding that out as part of the game. I've played this game a bunch of times, but I've forgotten what most of the masks do so I'm actively avoiding finding out beforehand :p

Top Bottom