• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2017 (May 15 - May 21)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They didn't have an 'exclusive' fighting game, so they signed SFV. They wanted a bigger game to push VR, RE7 was the perfect choice because of the genre. Do they need another action game? They have them 'all'.
It's not that difficult tbh.

Let's say you are Capcom in 2015 and have to decide what system to put the next mainline MH on. I would assume 3DS wasn't even considered since they already had MHX/XX planned and they wanted to go HD with series ala DQ/Horii.

Xbox/WiiU obviously were out... So they either could wait out a couple of years and see what Nintendo has to offer and if it's succeed. Or already bet on the fastest selling system on its way to sell 100m units worldwide - with the benefits of a easy port to PC down the line. This deal probably was sweeten by more Sony marketing support for all their big releases like SFV, RE7 etc.

Now it sounds a bit backwards with the way Switch is selling... But in 2015? It's not much different than Capcom approaching Nintendo prior to the 3DS and them betting on the winning horse completely screwing over Sony. I bet the heads at Sony at some point expected MH to hit Vita as well and for blindsided.

Sure we could all be wrong... But assuming 2-3 year dev cycle for MH5 and they decide on a platform environment on 2015 - going PC/PS4 seems right, especially with their focus on digital sales and longterm availability of their content.

This feels like a Wii/PSP situation, where Wii like PS4 gets the big numbered title because of the potential of reaching a new/bigger audience... But market realities will force Capcom into developing/continuing a sub series on Switch/PSP.

MH5 Switch/PS4 would have saved them some work down the line... But they would have missed out on whatever Sony promised them in return while signing that deal.

Just to be clear - everything can happen but just thinking about the rumor doesn't seem as crazy as I thought before. Especially when you see how slow Capcom is when it comes to Switch announcements. Makes it look like they expected another WiiU.

Note that they came to their senses in the end.
So is Capcom right now with XX Switch and that Switch subseries they will revive... Def. feels like damage control.

Honestly if Switch wasn't such a success we wouldnt have too much of an issue with that move. Not many expected Global Switch performance on that level.

Ōkami;238236354 said:
"So Nomura, how is the development of Kingdom Hearts 3 and the Final Fantasy remake"

"Well, its been a couple of years, so we've finally moved into the development progress phase"

"Cool. we've finished 3 versions of Dragon Quest XI."

Nomura is SE's golden boy. He's tackling KH3 and FF7R at the same time which is pretty crazy. Apparently Versus did not make much way inot the dev cycle because SE devoted a lot of their resources to fix FF14.

I love how the 3ds afterthought games usually sell more

Pretty sure Builders and Heroes outsold or sold on par with the the remakes.

Thought this might be interesting here. From the new interview that came out today in the booklet handed out at the live event:

Dragon Quest XI began development just a little over 2 years ago in 2015. Development was originally just the PS4 version, but because they wanted the series to get in as many hands as possible they began developing a 3DS version. They didn't want people playing the 3DS version to feel that they were playing an inferior version, so one of the staff on the project had the idea of having a 3D and 2D mode and got the ok.

Okay I was wrong. PS4 version exists simply due to Hori wanting to make it.

If this "westernized" Monster Hunter is real, then E3 is the natural place to show it.

MH5 exclusive to PS4 announced at E3.....oh boy. I'm in for the meltdowns. Will be a legendary thread, though I don't really believe that leak.

Why would they care at all for Monster Hunter when they had motherfucking Destiny?

Why not both?

Fdkn

what kind of meltdown do you expect when it was Nintendo fans who actually believe in the rumors and expect it?

Well I have a theory about that:

When there was uncertainty about the Switch, any MH on PS4 rumour was received with passive-aggressivity around here, to say the least.

Now that they feel the Switch is fine, they've starting contemplating the rumour while adding terms like 'dumbed down', as if they wish for it to happen just to call it pointless and worse than the real good games that will come to Switch anyway.

But hey, it just a theory :p

sinonobu

Banned
I still doubt MH5 deal...

Why would Sony want westernized MH for Japanese market???

I think more likely scenario is Capcom releasing the movie tie in game around the time when the movie comes out (2018~2019) and release in every major platform (pc/ps4/xbone)

Passose

Banned
I still doubt MH5 deal...

Why would Sony want westernized MH for Japanese market???

I think more likely scenario is Capcom releasing the movie tie in game around the time when the movie comes out (2018~2019) and release in every major platform (pc/ps4/xbone)
I think they want to use the monster hunter brand to sell consoles and games.Monster Hunter is pretty big at the moment, that game will sell well no matter what and will boost the sales of the ps4 in Japan also, Sony didn't spend big on it for no reason

Oregano

Well I have a theory about that:

When there was uncertainty about the Switch, any MH on PS4 rumour was received with passive-aggressivity around here, to say the least.

Now that they feel the Switch is fine, they've starting contemplating the rumour while adding terms like 'dumbed down', as if they wish for it to happen just to call it pointless and worse than the real good games that will come to Switch anyway.

But hey, it just a theory :p

The rumour specifically mentions not having a lot of weapons, taking away gathering and preparation aspects and specifically mentions QTEs. That sure sounds like dumbing down to anyone who actually likes the games and not just cheerleading what system it releases on.

what kind of meltdown do you expect when it was Nintendo fans who actually believed in the rumors and expecting it?

You speak like some hivemind collectively knowing how to react lmao
Lot of people don't know about this rumour or believe it. Expect a lot of meltdowns if PS4 gets a pretty looking MH game not available on Switch. I'll link you to the thread if it ever happens.

KtSlime

You speak like some hivemind collectively knowing how to react lmao
Lot of people don't know about this rumour or believe it. Expect a lot of meltdowns if PS4 gets a pretty looking MH game not available on Switch. I'll link you to the thread if it ever happens.

The way you bring up this rumor almost every day I find that hard to believe.

sphinx

the piano man
why do people believe more on a MH5 PS4 exclusive than on a MH5 for both Switch and PS4?

with how switch is performing, why on earth would capcom go for a MH5 exlcusivity deal with Sony?

because "it was decided long ago in 2015 and the PS4 was selling like hotcakes"?

that's a terrible argument

you guys forget that MH has appeared on PS2 and Wii, the two best selling home consoles in history and even then, the series proved to be worth a damn only on handhelds, PSP and 3DS.

capcom must have also known about switch in 2015 or whatever point in time they were deciding where to put MH5 on. Pretty sure they got the memo that this is nintendo's next handheld, disguised as a home console.

it sure can happen but I'd love to see capcom's CEO explaining hwo they came to that decision, cause so far it really doesn't make much sense

This is the same asinine rumor that said Sony paid to keep the game off the Switch. Not that they paid for PS4 exclusivity, the money was to keep it away from Nintendo. So it could come to Scorpio or even the Apple Watch; the check clears as long as it never touches the Switch.

If Sony was willing to pony that kind of money up then they should have done it a while back for the Vita. They've been bankrolling Capcom this gen but they always go for franchises with worldwide appeal, and Nintendo had a hand in Monster Hunter's success in the western. DQH shows that they have no intention of picking up that slack.

ggx2ac

The beginning of the thread is pretty funny now with the "Nintendo is making third parties mad for holding back Switch units for first party releases" since there is a now a Monster Hunter themed Switch releasing for Monster Hunter XX.

Passose

Banned
The beginning of the thread is pretty funny now with the "Nintendo is making third parties mad for holding back Switch units for first party releases" since there is a now a Monster Hunter themed Switch releasing for Monster Hunter XX.
tbf it's just a normal switch with a special edition dock

The way you bring up this rumor almost every day I find that hard to believe.

Show me where I brought this rumour up. Go on.

I believed in MH on PS4 before this leak even came out and have always said the biggest clue thus far is what Capcom themselves have said.

Monster Hunter XX should do better than the other HD Monster Hunter ports due to it still being on a portable and having cross play between systems. People held off on buying the first iteration because they knew a Switch port was incoming. I'd be pretty surprised at anything under 750k LTD.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Monster Hunter XX should do better than the other HD Monster Hunter ports due to it still being on a portable and having cross play between systems. People held off on buying the first iteration because they knew a Switch port was incoming. I'd be pretty surprised at anything under 750k LTD.

Yeah I tend to agree. Its going to launch with an energized userbase who will have been playing Splatoon 2 for a month and I assume Nintendo will push the hell out of it and have a ton of hardware stock. I think 500K is the minimum but could see 1M.

Oregano

Do keep in mind that crossplay is only Online and MHXX is not starting at as high a point as Portable 3rd and Tri G. I'd consider that balanced out by being portable.

If it does notably better it's because of Switch's strength as a platform.

Kouriozan

Monster Hunter XX should do better than the other HD Monster Hunter ports due to it still being on a portable and having cross play between systems.
If the rumors are true, wouldn't it be weird for a numbered entry (MH5) selling less than its spin-off (X and XX)?
In a normal world it would be the other way around.

schuelma

If the rumors are true, wouldn't it be weird for a numbered entry (MH5) selling less than its spin-off (X and XX)?
In a normal world it would be the other way around.

MH3 sputtered to 1 million.

PSP game sold over 4m.

Datschge

but what if it actually sells well in both the west and in Japan?
What do you consider selling well in Japan on home console? MH5 exclusive to PS4 and selling well in Japan is an oxymoron (unless you drastically lower expectations to the lowered expectations of FFXV and DQXI PS4).

Rodion

Neo Member
How are the japanese reactions to the Arms' Testpunch? Good or mixed? Did it affect the pre-orders in major sites?

Eolz

Are we back to "Mon Hun PS4 will sell like Destiny"?

Thought this might be interesting here. From the new interview that came out today in the booklet handed out at the live event:

Dragon Quest XI began development just a little over 2 years ago in 2015. Development was originally just the PS4 version, but because they wanted the series to get in as many hands as possible they began developing a 3DS version. They didn't want people playing the 3DS version to feel that they were playing an inferior version, so one of the staff on the project had the idea of having a 3D and 2D mode and got the ok.

Wow at every detail there. It's pretty cool that 2D mode was agreed to be a good selling point.

Also dropped by Bic Camera after the DQ adventure today. Switch sold out, joycons sold out (Neon/Grey) Splatoon 2/reg pro controller sold out, Switch wheel controller thing, Zelda BoTW amiibo all sold out, Disgaea 5 sold out, and for the first time ever Spelunker Z sold out too.

Wow! Bomba.

It's a pretty standard Japanese phrase which basically implies (business/politcal) things beyond the person's control. I suppose it's like the saying "That's above my pay grade" in English, but Japanese tends to be more indirect.

So basically could mean that both S-E and Nintendo are waiting for a specific timing to announce it?
I know it's not happening, but has there ever been temporary exclusive localizations in the past?

Shengar

because they can use the monster hunter brand to sell games and consoles in Japan,selling more console in Japan will lock down the exclusivity of lots of Japanese 3rd party games for them and making the playstation brand relevant again in Japan

This only make sense if "westernized" part of the rumor doesn't exist.

I mean, if they secure MH5 exclusivity to make it cater to western audience, then wouldn't that mean Sony doesn't care about Japan at all? This version of MH will be its equivalent of DmC. It will done nothing but damage the brand on its targeted market due to how different it is from its predecessor. There's no way both Sony and Capcom could go unscathed if they announce this "westernized" numbered MH in Japan if the portable version doesn't get announced first.

So lets assume MH5 for PS4 only is real (I think it is but not really the pount).

In regards to the Switch and MH what do you see happening? It missing MH5 would be a big deal. Do you see an exclusive series happening or do you think they just leave it out to dry?

Despite believing they did it, Capcom are the fucking dumbest company ever if they actually abandoned Nintendo Handhelds for their biggest franchise.

schuelma

So lets assume MH5 for PS4 only is real (I think it is but not really the pount).

In regards to the Switch and MH what do you see happening? It missing MH5 would be a big deal. Do you see an exclusive series happening or do you think they just leave it out to dry?

Despite believing they did it, Capcom are the fucking dumbest company ever if they actually abandoned Nintendo Handhelds for their biggest franchise.

I think last night is clear evidence that the series will continue on Switch and will be a primary platform in Japan.

Now, what that means as far as PS4 and what games are called, etc. I don't know.

This salivating over meltdowns is irritating. PS4 is fabulously successful. Switch might be well on its way to being just as successful. Both systems have different selling points so they satisfy two different needs. What's more, cross development is easy. In addition, both lay down the groundwork for generations to come. One couldn't ask for a better situation for traditional Japanese gaming.

I think based on the rumor that Monster Hunter 5 will be a PS4 exclusive.
Capcom had a strong and very vocal support for the 3DS from the get go unlike the Switch were they're a bit more silent.

Capcom won't abandon handheld MH and exclusivity on PS4 is a stupid and awful decision.

I understand that many of you didn't witness the craziness of MH in the PSP era. Here in the East, many people were holding MH parties in McDonalds and other fast food restaurants so that they can hunt together. This game's appeal is the face-to-face interaction. Of course, times have changed, and you can use all kinds of SNS tools to do this kind of cooperation online, but interaction on the net never replace that satisfaction in local multiplayer.

schuelma

Capcom had a strong and very vocal support for the 3DS from the get go unlike the Switch were they're a bit more silent.

They literally just announced a very significant Switch game hours ago that will in all likelihood handily outsell any Capcom PS4 game released so far and could approach PS4's best selling game, period.

Top Bottom