• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starlight Inception (PC/Vita) Kickstarter project [Ended, $158K funded]

PBalfredo

So what happens if the project does not meet its goal by the deadline? Do the backers get their money refunded? Does kickstarter just eat it?

Carl

Not gonna reach it now is suppose :(

So what happens if the project does not meet its goal by the deadline? Do the backers get their money refunded? Does kickstarter just eat it?

They don't even take the money unless it reaches the goal

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Still a lot of confusion over how kickstarter works.

The pledgers don't lose anything. Nobody loses anything; the money pledged to a project doesn't change hands until the project closes and reaches its funding goal.

If it falls short, nothing happens, really.

magawolaz

Upped mine to $30.

Guys, it won't make it to $150k, it's too late: you can now back the project or raise your pledge safely
;D

test_account

XP-39C²
To me this just shows that they didn't quite understand what Kickstarter for games was about. Same with the Vita port. Kickstarter seems to work great as a way to develop for your audience (if you can get the project funded). The Double Fine, Shadowrun, Larry and other kickstarters all provided the following reason for investment: "Publishers don't want to fund this. Do you want us to make something that you'll like but that isn't for a mass audience?"

So there's no need for a multi-platform release, unless you think your audience wants it. Also, there's no need for paid DLC - day 1 or day 100. If you think something should be included in the game, just put it in there (or release it later as a free extension). The Kickstarter money is supposed to finance the complete development. There is no publisher who imposes a deadline and says "You can't include that in the release candidate. Do it as a DLC instead."
I think that the DLC stuff was probably just ment more as a "pre-order trick" (or what i shall call it), trying to get people to pledge so it would feel that they get something for free, while people who didnt pledge would have to pay for the extra content. But then they probably relized that this might not be the best idea. And also that the later DLC mentioned was more about showing long term support for the game. But yeah, i agree that there isnt much need to mention payed DLC in a kickstarter project like this.

The multiplatform approach is cool enough in my opinion. It might reach out to more people then (assuming that porting the game isnt a huge cost). The Larry kickstarter was set to be made for both PC and some touch devices. And i think they said that they would look into more platforms if they total amount of money that was pledged was high enough. Personally, for Larry, i will play it on my PC. But for this space game (if it gets funded), i will try it out on my Vita instead.

magawolaz

Holy cow, Yoshida just retweeted my tweet.

I feel important.

Vita saved.

EDIT: didn't see that he already tweeted it lmao

ReaperXL7

Holy cow, Yoshida just retweeted my tweet.

I feel important.

Vita saved.

EDIT: didn't see that he already tweeted it lmao

well, they do need all the developer support they can get for the Vita so...

Just kind of a shame that Sony needs to rely on kickstarter for it.

I'm kidding of course as I enjoy my vita very much, more games announced is good though

mclem

17k to go as I head to bed. One good big donation and it's going to look completely feasible. When I wake up it'll either be funded... or I'll have a bit more cash to redirect into Carmageddon and/or SpaceVenture.

(For what it's worth: I think Kickstarter rounds the time strictly *down* - so as I write, it's more than three hours to go.)

Edit: Just under three hours now, since it ticked down to '2' on the clock. It'll change to '120 minutes' in an hour, if I remember how things have happened in the past.

By my reckoning, it made $500 in the last six minutes. That puts it on $15,000 for the final three hours, and I'd expect the ramp-up towards the end to make it achievable. Gnnngh.

Dwayne

15 +YOU SELECTED
A copy of Starlight Inception™, distributed digitally on PC, via Steam for PC, or distributed digitally on Sony Playstation Vita, exclusive access to the Beta, and access to the private discussion community.

gogo, time is running out..

Upped mine to 45 to add the Vita copy. Make it happen people. It's so close. I can almost taste the starfightery goodness. With the massive jump this has made in the last couple of days, it would be a shame to see it fail.

Baring some kind of angel investor putting in 10K, this has no chance. Has done about 2,000 over the last hour.

Too bad, not really my thing but I appreciated the effort they put into the Kickstarter.

ReaperXL7

I really hope this makes it, i've been trying to get everyone I can involved, but only a couple have responded so far. It's going to be such a damn shame if this comes under 10-5k and does not make it.

I'd really like to see what they can do here, despite the fact that the game won't be out for a good while.

Carl

It's too agonisingly close to fail. If it failed by a mile i wouldn't give a shit but it can't fail $10k from the goal

Top Bottom