• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 Review Thread

loved the first 2, but the demo for this one didn't do it for me, mainly because the cast seemed extraordinarily derivative/unimaginative. the split in the reviews doesn't surprise me. will be waiting for impressions :) ...

V3 is my favorite one of all but I was also ok with DR3 and really liked UDG despite its more unsavory parts so my tastes are not to be trusted

Also I like 1 more than 2 even if I can agree 2 is the objectively better game.

mankoto

As someone who thought the twist in both danganronpa 1 and 2 were pants on head stupid how much will I hate the ending of v3?

The problem with V3's ending is that it goes both ways. It's both a dumpster fire and it has a message behind it. If you can't get behind the message it's a dumpster fire x10000.

sasliquid

I know little about v3, but I very much liked D1 and D2 (well I thought the ending of D2 went a bit off the rails). Interested to see why the split reaction but I'd forgotten it's only a week till it's out.

I hope the vita version is good

RRockman

Banned
I know nothing about v3 but can I speculate/guess?
they do a bait and switch with the main character so you don't play as the girl in all the marketing?

lllllooooolllllllll

Don't click if you don't want to know,

This is the obvious twist.

It's not the real twist.

Powwa

V3 is my favorite one of all but I was also ok with DR3 and really liked UDG despite its more unsavory parts so my tastes are not to be trusted

Also I like 1 more than 2 even if I can agree 2 is the objectively better game.

Except it really isn`t. DR1 had a much better cast, better cases and better pacing. Not only that personally plot was better as well, being the first game it also had that surprise factor. It is always surprising for me to see a lot of people putting DR2 way ahead of 1.

Uubumaster

Neo Member
Except it really isn`t. DR1 had a much better cast, better cases and better pacing. Not only that personally plot was better as well, being the first game it also had that surprise factor. It is always surprising for me to see a lot of people putting DR2 way ahead of 1.

Same here. The overall vibe of DR1 also worked much better for me, as well as the final twist.
I liked DR2, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Agreed.

You thought 1 had better cases???

I do like the cast better overall but 1 also had the worst characters in the series.

I think of 2 like Majora's Mask. It succeeds because of how well it works off of your expectations based on what happened in the first game.

Don't care if this one is pretty divisive, I'm soooo excited for more Danganronpa.

I agree with most of that, which is why 1 is my favorite, I also much prefer 1's more isolated and mysterious tone. I do think 2's cases are better though.

Kusagari

This is always what I've thought. The ultimate reveal is also so much better in DR1 and DR2 just felt like them trying to top it and failing miserably.

mdubs

Banned
You thought 1 had better cases???

I do like the cast better overall but 1 also had the worst characters in the series.

The characters are not good, but the story is terrible. This series gets so bad whenever they start discussing the F
uture Foundation
and the other associated nonsense and it is so much better when they simply focus on the murder-mystery, which DR2 did so much better and with good characters.

These reviews are really interesting to me. It really is Hope (those perfect scores, "best sequel to a video game I've played") vs. Despair (hated, controversial?)

Excited to dive in and see for myself now. Surely it can't have a worse conclusion than Zero Time Dilemma's. Surely.

GoldStarz

I can't talk about the minigames since I didn't physically play it, but here are my spoiler-free criticisms of the game:

• The protagonist is very boring and their arc is literally just a mashup of elements of Naegi's and Hajime's that don't really work well together
  • The game's plot goes nowhere pretty fast, honestly, and you can see most of the important twists coming miles away
  • The killers are also pretty obvious give or take one or two and this game easily has the worst Chapter 5 trial
  • Speaking of that, the game once again falls into the pattern set in DR1 and DR2, this time without any really good explanation for it.
  • Finally, I can't go into detail for this one without spoilers, but there are a ton of tiny details that don't make sense when you hold them against the main plot and think about it. I hate to use trope names, but this game is filled with Fridge Logic.

The game honestly makes me feel that Kodaka is either running out of ideas to make things interesting and failing to realize he hasn't left the same box or is only capable of writing one story when it comes to murder mysteries. What's really frustrating is that you can tell between the characters and trial mechanics, there's a real gem that could've made this easily the best entry in the series. The game is undoubtably better than DR3, but it leaves the same sense of disappointment that it could've been something much greater.

(bolded for summarization)

Looking at these spoiler bars starting to pop up in here.

a55.png

Zeroro

I'm honestly one of those people who will never get tired of this formula, so I'm pretty sure I'll come out of it on the favorable side. It helps that Ryoma's looking to be my favorite character in the series so far, just based on the demo.

Zeroro

This is the best Danganronpa game. It's absolutely legendary and I mean that in a really good way.

It should bother me that everyone seems to have such a different takeaway from the game after playing it, ranging from it being the best game in the series to the one that makes some lose interest in the series entirely, but I actually kinda love it.

Torokil

The only thing DR1 has over 2 is

-Better survivors
-Better atmosphere

Other than that DR2 shits on DR1 from a great height. 1 just doesn't have any case as good as 2-1 and 2-5.

ZTD was mediocre, but I would still rank it higher than any DR game. Writing was cuestionable but at least had good pacing.

E17>>>999>VLR>N11>>>>>ZTD>DR2>DR0>UDG>>infinitum>DR1

I'm genuinely curious about this one. I really enjoyed the demo.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
ZTD was mediocre, but I would still rank it higher than any DR game. Writing was cuestionable but at least had good pacing.

Good pacing? GOOD PACING?!

What ZTD did you play?

GoldStarz

-Better survivors
-Better atmosphere

Other than that DR2 shits on DR1 from a great height. 1 just doesn't have any case as good as 2-1 and 2-5.

I still don't get why people shit on DR2's atmosphere: I think being trapped on an island where everyone's hiding the fact that they already know is way more disturbing than being trapped in a building with society on the other side of the door (as far as you know).

I also prefer DR2's survivors, but that's entirely subjective.

Man, the fandom rivalry is real...

Might as well do my own ranking though

DR2 > DR0 > DRAE > DR1 >> DRV3 >> DR3

kewlmyc

Hello folks--I'm the one that wrote the RPG Site review *gulp*

My advice is if you're a big Danganronpa fan that you should probably just check this out for yourself. What didn't work for me might work just fine for you, that's all I can really say.

Nice review.

First Danganronpa game I'm going in completely clean on. I keep hearing it's pretty decisive, but it can't be worse than the DR3 anime.

...I hope.

And are we really posting v3 spoilers in a review thread?

I disagree about ZTD, but I'm with you when it comes to E17

hqdefault.jpg

I'm honestly having a great time reading such differents opinions when it comes to this game. Makes it more interesting, to say the least.

Obviously your post is trash but what's E17?

-Better survivors
-Better atmosphere

Yes! Hina is my all time fave tho

Good pacing? GOOD PACING?!

What ZTD did you play?

I literally fell asleep during some investigations in DR1. And DR2 takes too long to get interesting, even if it's writing is better.
ZTD oly falls apart at the end (awful ending that retrospectively ruins VLR, but at least never had to force myself to play it)

Reading the summary, it sound like the ending has Evangelion levels of hatred for itself and it's audience delivered with the subtleness of an Aaron Sorkin rant.

GoldStarz

I can't talk about the minigames since I didn't physically play it, but here are my spoiler-free criticisms of the game:

Ah, I forgot one! The overall theme of the game is a total mystery, even now I've seen people arguing whether the game was intended to be about X or Y.

Like this

Reading the summary, it sound like the ending has Evangelion levels of hatred for itself and it's audience delivered with the subtleness of an Aaron Sorkin rant.

I know exactly what this poster is thinking the theme is, but Kodaka has outright denied that interpretation.

---
Obviously your post is trash but what's E17?
Ever 17

To its credit, DRV3 has a couple of my favourite chapters in the series, though nothing comes close to topping 2-4 in terms of emotional payoff in my opinion.

Also, I gotta say it: what is with murder-mystery games having incredibly weak third chapters? It's a weirdly persistent issue across both the Danganronpa and Ace Attorney series, and V3 suffers from it as well. Makes me kinda wish they cut it out entirely to trim the fat and help with the game's pacing a bit.

To its credit, DRV3 has a couple of my favourite chapters in the series, though nothing comes close to topping 2-4 in terms of emotional payoff in my opinion.

Also, I gotta say it: what is with murder-mystery games having incredibly weak third chapters? It's a weirdly persistent issue across both the Danganronpa and Ace Attorney series, and V3 suffers from it as well. Makes me kinda wish they cut it out entirely to trim the fat and help with the game's pacing a bit.
Case 3 was pretty good in D1 still I thought. And how good is 2-4, that's the main reason I think people who say 1 has better cases are nuts.

sinonobu

Banned
I mean the game can't possibly be worse than DR3 which is good.

And I don't think ZTD was that bad. It was a disappointing sequel with many issues, but I still had fun playing it.

*sigh* sounds like I can't miss this. I mean, I'm at a point where I've got too much of a good thing. I'm currently going thru S;G Zero. I haven't finished Persona 5 yet and now D3, Fractured and MARIO are coming back to back? Yikes

Mohasus

Case 3 was pretty good in D1 still I thought. And how good is 2-4, that's the main reason I think people who say 1 has better cases are nuts.

That case was so obvious it wasn't even funny.
There was only one guy present other than the protagonist during the explanation about how the robot-guy's clock worked. Turns out, he was the culprit.
The case with the luchador mask suffers from the same problem.

NSESN

After hearing more impressions it won't change from day 1, I will just go with lowered expectations and it should be enough.

That case was so obvious it wasn't even funny.
There was only one guy present other than the protagonist during the explanation about how the robot-guy's clock worked. Turns out, he was the culprit.
The case with the luchador mask suffers from the same problem.
Some cases are good as a mystery, some aren't good as a mystery but are good from a character development and plot development standpoint. 2-4 is the latter, and sets up 2-5 extremely well.

GoldStarz

*sigh* sounds like I can't miss this. I mean, I'm at a point where I've got too much of a good thing. I'm currently going thru S;G Zero. I haven't finished Persona 5 yet and now D3, Fractured and MARIO are coming back to back? Yikes

Honestly, stick to those games, wait until a friend plays it and ask what they think.

redhood56

Banned
A fucking men.
I'm interested in playing this with the mixed review scores.

NotLiquid

DR2 > VLR > 999 > ZTD > DR1
if I'd have to make my own ranking.

The list comes with a major caveat however in that I get the feeling that I dislike 999 and VLR a lot more than most people while conversely liking ZTD a lot more than you'd expect. The Zero Escape series is incredibly flawed - 999 has an incredible amount of tedium with fairly poor pacing and the overall enjoyment is almost entirely contingent on how you parse the ending which is the high point, while conversely, VLR is a fantastically paced thrill ride almost the entire way through but is really let down by it's ending, to the point that it kind of soured the experience for me. ZTD meanwhile is just a flat line. Didn't make me mad, but didn't make me overjoyed either.

If comparing both these series then DR2 is the only game that really rules the roost for me even if I dislike DR as a series more than ZE - mainly because DR's expanded universe has very little containing what I actually play the series for and because beyond DR2 there isn't really any piece of media in it that I love. The more we find out about the DR series the more things like Monokuma's killing games end up feeling like a foot note in what is an endless string of characters and events that amount to "let's see how more fucked up we can make this".

I guess what I'm getting at is, looking back at it, both DR and ZE are super flawed series.

I think DR2 does nearly everything better than DR1. The only advantage I'd give to DR1 is it has better minigames.

I'll agree with this. Some of the moment-to-moment gameplay in DR2 was overall too fluff-y compared to DR1 and that kind of extended to some of debate segments at times (the infamous "swimsuit" one from 2-2 comes to mind - it's not only a huge stretch to make but also pointless in the context of the case). But in terms of everything else, DR1 becomes too rote, tired and predictable near the end, with very few of it's major twists being earned.

Top Bottom