• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 Review Thread

jrcbandit

After reading reviews, I went ahead and bought it on Steam, just disappointed I couldn't get it discounted like 15-25% off GMG or something. The Danganronpa 3 anime initially made me hate the entire series, including the games I previously enjoyed (the anime was that bad), but my curiosity has gotten the better of me and my hatred has slightly lessened over time.. The only thing I'm worried about is the controversial ending.

Oh yeah, please tell me the game has no connection to the anime and ignores its existence. Otherwise, I might just have to do a Steam refund.

Lusankya

I've been wanting to get into this series for awhile. What's the order I should play them in before jumping into V3?

The order is of course the order of release (as with every single other series). If you meant to ask what entries are must plays then it's DR1 and DR2. DR:AE is optional and a different genre, DR3 (the anime) is not needed and pretty divisive.

DNAbro

Here's one for yall
DR2 - Case 5 vs AA3 - Case 5

As for my ranking from the golden VN trio:

AA1 > AA3 > VLR > DR2 > 999 > DR1 > AA4 > AA6 > AA2 > AA5 > ZTD

AA1 is the best one for me, because of AA1 - Case 5. I still enjoyed playing all of them and I don't think any of them is a bad game. v3 is so far pretty high for me.

I think AA3 is vastly overrated and didn't even really like the final case. Favorite in the series is still AA1. DR2 case 5 wins out on being one of my favorite things I've played in a game.

Razmos

I finished Danganronpa 2 for the first time yesterday, case 5 was definitely insane, I had a literal moment of "holy shit" when I figured out what had happened.

If V3 can come even close to that kind of trial I will be happy.

V3 is the first time I'll be going into a Danganronpa game (almost) completely blind. I already watched a let's play of the first game (along with the anime, twice) And I read up on most of the events of the second game during the time the Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc was airing.
Trials 3, 4 and 5 (and
Nagito's involvement and heel turn
in the first trial)were completely new to me in the second game and it has gotten me very excited to go through V3 with no knowledge of what's going to happen.

The only thing I've been spoiled on in V3 is the *BIG EARLY GAME SPOILERS*
protagonist switch after the first trial
*BIG EARLY GAME SPOILERS*
But that actually makes me more curious

BTA

Not clicking above but if the answer can only be "yes" maybe it's best not to answer at all.

Rather, I feel like if an answer could potentially goes against what's been advertised about V3 the very fact that you need to spoiler tag makes it clear what it is. It's nowhere near a big of a deal as what happened in the Community thread a little while back but I feel like things that are black and white like this should be handled with a little more care.

Not clicking above but if the answer can only be "yes" maybe it's best not to answer at all.

Rather, I feel like if an answer could potentially goes against what's been advertised about V3 the very fact that you need to spoiler tag makes it clear what it is. It's nowhere near a big of a deal as what happened in the Community thread a little while back but I feel like things that are black and white like this should be handled with a little more care.

I gueeeeeessssss. It's not really a big deal, V3 just kind of alludes to DR3 in a way that doesn't impact its own story much, or at all.

Jamix012

I'm super thirsty and am travelling starting Wednesday so...does this game have cross save with Vita/PS4? Tempted to double dip.

Razmos

It's going to take a while for me to get used to Monokuma having a new voice. It's so rubbish compared to the originals

jrcbandit

I gueeeeeessssss. It's not really a big deal, V3 just kind of alludes to DR3 in a way that doesn't impact its own story much, or at all.
I think I can handle that, it's just the less I have to think about D3 at all, the better. I still don't understand how D3 was handled so incompetently and how much it ruined the initial game's antagonist.

GSR

There doesn't appear to be anyone officially making the OT in the OT index. It's possible someone claimed it in the community thread at some point?

NotLiquid

There doesn't appear to be anyone officially making the OT in the OT index. It's possible someone claimed it in the community thread at some point?

I just looked it up and surprisingly enough it wasn't claimed by anyone.

I'd be willing to slap together a quick one if need be.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I can also make the OT, I did the import OT though.

And I'm almost done with the game haha.

NotLiquid

I can also make the OT, I did the import OT though.

And I'm almost done with the game haha.

I figured I'd claim the OT in the OT|OT thread and I can have it up in about 30 minutes. I don't think anyone has any elaborate layout so I'm mostly just going to be using assets from the website to cobble something short and quick together.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I figured I'd claim the OT in the OT|OT thread and I can have it up in about 30 minutes. I don't think anyone has any elaborate layout so I'm mostly just going to be using assets from the website to cobble something short and quick together.

Don't forget to post the important answer to "Do I need to play DR1 and DR2 to understand the story?"

The answer I can say is: not entirely necessary but I still highly recommend it to heavily enhance the experience.

Need to decide on a version to buy.

Would prefer portability, what are the downsides to Vita version? I think I read that there's an extra download for higher audio quality? After that is it pretty on par or do the visuals suffer?

ULTROS!

Need to decide on a version to buy.

Would prefer portability, what are the downsides to Vita version? I think I read that there's an extra download for higher audio quality? After that is it pretty on par or do the visuals suffer?

Just the voices I believe, the voices are compressed on the PSVita version but there will be a download to enhance the audio quality.

do i need to watch the dr3 anime? i just marathoned the ass game known as ultra despair girls and need to know how much danganronpa adjacent content i need to have context for.

also the anime is cool so far i guess, granted im only on despair 1 rn lmao

GSR

do i need to watch the dr3 anime? i just marathoned the ass game known as ultra despair girls and need to know how much danganronpa adjacent content i need to have context for.

also the anime is cool so far i guess, granted im only on despair 1 rn lmao

Nah, you can skip it.

GamerJM

Banned
Jeez all the shitting on ZTD ITT. I thought that game was great if not up to par with the first two ZE games.

Anyways some of those reviews get me pretty pumped.

Here's one for yall
DR2 - Case 5 vs AA3 - Case 5

As for my ranking from the golden VN trio:

AA1 > AA3 > VLR > DR2 > 999 > DR1 > AA4 > AA6 > AA2 > AA5 > ZTD

AA1 is the best one for me, because of AA1 - Case 5. I still enjoyed playing all of them and I don't think any of them is a bad game. v3 is so far pretty high for me.

Here's mine if we're gonna be doin this

VLR>999>AA3>AA5>DR2>ZTD>AA1>AA4>AA2>DR1>DGS (Dai Gyakuten Saiban)>AAI1>GK2/AAI2>AA6>Ghost Trick>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright

As for the series themselves my ranking is ZE>AA>DR, but DR has a chance to beat AA if V3 is really great since I feel like Ace Attorney has lost some magic to me recently.

Top Bottom