• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 Review Thread

Bladenic

82 meta now, which is higher than both DR1 and 2 but lower than the collection for PS4. Just an interesting observation.

Can't wait to play this... I say as I have so many games to buy.

I'm guessing that if the game can't be streamed, SharePlay won't work either?

Would have been excited either way, but the divisiveness has definitely cranked up the anticipation/hype for me.

I've been wanting to get into this series for awhile. What's the order I should play them in before jumping into V3?

I've been on media blackout for V3, but I would assume just 1 and 2 (and optionally Another Episode, which I personally really enjoyed but ymmv).

juicyb

Just play 1 and 2. Ignore the anime and spinoff TPS.

How long are 1 and 2? I saw the anime and it was bleh so it kind of turned me off to wanting to get into the series. Now that I know it was a poor adaptation I'm back in since some of the ideas presented were interesting.

So my Best Buy copy shipped today, claiming Overnight Delivery with a delivery of Monday... nice! But it also claims the box is 26lbs which is odd...

Aru

Just play 1 and 2. Ignore the anime and spinoff TPS.

No, play all of them even if you have to wait for a huge discount on Another Episode. It's pretty fun even if poorly paced. Also DAT final chapter!
Danganronpa 3 anime is a MUST WATCH. Don't understand the hate at all.

epmode

Considering the price I paid for both versions of the first two games, I'm pretty freaked out by the Steam price. Not even a launch discount.

I'm determined to avoid spoilers for this one.

I keep putting off finishing DR1 and playing 2 because I've amassed such a collection of spoilers. Hopefully I'm not spoiled on the big twist of 2 that everyone raves about.

emag

I keep putting off finishing DR1 and playing 2 because I've amassed such a collection of spoilers. Hopefully I'm not spoiled on the big twist of 2 that everyone raves about.

If you want to play DR1 & 2, you shouldn't let spoilers stop you. I can't think of any in either game that are all that shocking.

flyover

wholesale-danganronpa-monokuma-bag-the-shoulders.jpg

i shamelessly carry this bad boy around when i need to lug stuff around too lmao

This is excellent.

emag

That doesn't look very divisive to me... But maybe it was different when the thread was first posted?

The text of many of the reviews state that the playerbase will find the game polarizing and/or divisive. Additionally, the high-scoring reviews are from reviewers and/or sites that also greatly praised Zero Time Dilemma, which was "divisive" (or straight-out panned) on GAF.

Gradon

Please don't let the spoilers defer you, I know how it feels - I had every death and execution spoilt for 2 for me before the game came out in English thanks to friends and YouTube but 2 is seriously amazing once you push through. I would seriously advise you finish them before this one.

I think that Danganronpa V3 is the best in the series tbh, though I understand why its so polarising. For people who were wondering about play time, I'm 39 hours in and haven't finished yet.

GoldStarz

I've been wanting to get into this series for awhile. What's the order I should play them in before jumping into V3?

Play DR1 -> Read DR /Zero* -> Play SDR2 -> Play DRAE -> Don't watch DR3
________-> Play DRV3 _______________ -> Play DR V3 -> Play DRV3____ ->Play DRV3

V3 is the most accessible game in the series but should play at least one game before jumping into it.

*it's not officially localized but you should be able to find it easy by googling

juicyb

Play DR1 -> Read DR /Zero* -> Play SDR2 -> Play DRAE -> Don't watch DR3
________-> Play DRV3 _______________ -> Play DR V3 -> Play DRV3____ ->Play DRV3

V3 is the most accessible game in the series but should play at least one game before jumping into it.

*it's not officially localized but you should be able to find it easy by googling

So if I buy the first 2 games on steam and go into 3 will I miss out on key story elements?

Too terrified of spoilers to actually click into any of the reviews, but do any of them list what the specific PS4 Pro enhancements there are? There's a little icon for it on the boxart, and I'm assuming it's just 4K output for the 3d elements, but but with sprites optimized for 1080p.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
How long are 1 and 2? I saw the anime and it was bleh so it kind of turned me off to wanting to get into the series. Now that I know it was a poor adaptation I'm back in since some of the ideas presented were interesting.
20-25hr for the main story each?

No, play all of them even if you have to wait for a huge discount on Another Episode. It's pretty fun even if poorly paced. Also DAT final chapter!
I usually totally understand why people would like something that I don't. AE is a game where I just struggle to see any redeeming quality. It's a low budget, low effort shooter. It feels like someone drudged up a bargain bin shooter from the 00's and slapped some Danganronpa paint on it.

The D3 anime is disliked by a lot of fanbase for good reason. It's nonsensical, trivializes the sense of danger that the games have, and it's just an overall mediocre, boring affair. There are a handful of good Future Arc episodes, but the rest of the show is easily thrown into the "I would've rather have forgotten everything and left the plot of D2 as is" pile along with AE.

So if I buy the first 2 games on steam and go into 3 will I miss out on key story elements?
You'll be fine. Another Episode adds some flavor to a few characters, but it's so meh to play that you should just read the plot on the wiki or something.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This game has shit loads of other media references FYI. One of my favorites was (no story spoilers but spoils the reference)
Yokai Watch and Jibankuma

I'm in Chapter 2 now. Prologue + Chapter 1 took me around 7 hours.

Zeroro

This game has shit loads of other media references FYI. One of my favorites was (no story spoilers but spoils the reference)
Yokai Watch and Jibankuma

I'm in Chapter 2 now. Prologue + Chapter 1 took me around 7 hours.

I remember seeing the Jibakuma sprite through the data mining that was going around prior to the Japanese release and was so incredibly delighted by it (thankfully, I wasn’t exposed to any actual spoilers). It’s a cute thing!

The anime is the worst thing to ever be on television.

btw not to toot my own horn but anyone looking to get into the series & confused about the chronology might potentially want to check out my thread on the subject. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1424388

ShadyK54

Got an email and checked my order on Amazon & it turns out I won't be getting V3 until Thursday. How fun.

At least it gives me a little extra time to wrap up 2.

Zeroro

A review I just read spoiled the first victim in a screenshot.

Whelp

Is it the Kotaku review? I think I saw a screenshot in there where you can make out the first victim if you look hard enough.

I spoiled myself on Chapter 1 a while ago, but for anybody who's still completely blind... avoid that review, I guess!

Nothing is safe with this series.

DNAbro

Is it the Kotaku review? I think I saw a screenshot in there where you can make out the first victim if you look hard enough.

I spoiled myself on Chapter 1 a while ago, but for anybody who's still completely blind... avoid that review, I guess!

Nothing is safe with this series.

it was a random review retweeted by spike chunsoft by a site i've never heard of before.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man this game has really a crap load of references, like (more like a friendship fragment super early spoiler):

Reptites and how they lost to humans (Chrono Trigger reference)

Yes, if you look hard enough. Most people probably won't notice it anyway. Still, I don't think you can know for sure if it's the first or later trial.

If you've played Danganronpa before, it's pretty hard not to notice the dead-person portraits at the class trials. At least for me, anyway.

I just learned that whodunit is an actual word that people use.

After reading a couple reviews, it seems like the game doesn't really stray too much from its predecessors, only more padded out and the story beats can be divisive.

I was actually hoping that they added branching storylines where you can influence how events unfold.

After reading a couple reviews, it seems like the game doesn't really stray too much from its predecessors, only more padded out and the story beats can be divisive.

I was actually hoping that they added branching storylines where you can influence how events unfold.

That would be waaaaaay out of the scope for these games. You'd basically have to write completely different scenarios for each chapter.

This is not the Zero Escape series. The games are long enough with a linear story.

LousyTactician

Neo Member
So which version to go between PS4 and Vita?

I'm going with the Vita version myself. I can't see myself playing through the entire game from my home, and DR isn't exactly a series with high-end visuals. I'm on the go a lot these days, though even without that factor, I prefer going through text-heavy games on handhelds.

Strings

Man this game has really a crap load of references, like (more like a friendship fragment super early spoiler):

Reptites and how they lost to humans (Chrono Trigger reference)

Nothing new for the series tbh. Celestia's friendship fragments in the original were all amazing references to Akagi and Kaiji.

daevious

The first game was planned to have a trust system where your relationships with characters influenced who the killers and victims would be. It was scrapped because it was a logistical nightmare and it stonewalled any attempts at consistent characterisation.

ULTROS!

I hope the OT goes up soon, or even the spoiler thread. I'm at Chapter 4 at 20 hours.

I'm assuming we'll get the Japanese VA in America (I could confirm it with a Google search but don't want to accidentally spoil anything). Does anyone know if it'll come as a patch or included with the game? I'm planning to get it on Steam this time.

Schneider

I'm assuming we'll get the Japanese VA in America (I could confirm it with a Google search but don't want to accidentally spoil anything). Does anyone know if it'll come as a patch or included with the game? I'm planning to get it on Steam this time.

The demo had the Japanese VA built in, so I would assume it's included with the game download

hbkdx12

Can anybody sell me on this series? Highs/lows, Good/Bad?

With this new game coming out I've been hearing a lot about it and upon looking into it, it piqued my interest.

As someone who's not familiar with the series, I'm getting that Yakuza vibe where it's this multifaceted Japanese game that on paper doesn't really seem like it should work but once you play it, everything about it just clicks and sucks you in. That being said, I took a chance with Yakuza 0 (with some nudging from GAF) and came out throughly engrossed with the characters and series.

If it's worth the investment, I'd have no problem starting with the first two games as some of the reviews I've seen for V3 suggests newcomers may be in over their head a bit.

I've also seen various people say the second game is up there with being one of the best games ever.

emag

With this new game coming out I've been hearing a lot about it and upon looking into it, it piqued my interest.

As someone who's not familiar with the series, I'm getting that Yakuza vibe where it's this multifaceted Japanese game that on paper doesn't really seem like it should work but once you play it, everything about it just clicks and sucks you in. That being said, I took a chance with Yakuza 0 (with some nudging from GAF) and came out throughly engrossed with the characters and series.

If it's worth the investment, I'd have no problem starting with the first two games as some of the reviews I've seen for V3 suggests newcomers may be in over their head a bit.

I've also seen various people say the second game is up there with being one of the best games ever.

It's not at all multifaceted like Yakuza. Danganronpa is a entirely linear visual novel with gameplay limited to [terrible] mini games alone that thrives on its style. I would honestly question both the taste and the media exposure of anyone who says DR2 is "one of the best games ever". There's a "shocking" event late in DR2 that seems pretty cool, but it falls apart if you think about it for more than a couple seconds.

The games are incredibly stylish in their presentation, though. It's a delight to see the animations and hear the music/sound effects.

Why not YouTube the first case of DR2 or just play the demo for V3?

Steel

Banned

Have you heard of/played ace attorney? It's like that but with high school kids murdering each other while a stuffed bear laughs at them.

It's not at all multifaceted like Yakuza. Danganronpa is a entirely linear visual novel with gameplay limited to [terrible] mini games alone that thrives on its style. I would honestly question both the taste and the media exposure of anyone who says DR2 is "one of the best games ever". There's a "shocking" event late in DR2 that seems pretty cool, but it falls apart if you think about it for more than a couple seconds.

The games are incredibly stylish in their presentation, though. It's a delight to see the animations and hear the music/sound effects.

Let's see your top 10 dude.

DNAbro

read this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424388

Also DR2 isn't GOAT material but it definitely is GOTY material. It may be in my top 10 or a bit above that.

selo

Theres this primer thread created either today or yesterday with all the info you need :D

I can confirm this, you can see it in one of the screenshots. That's pretty reckless of them.

This reminds me, the steam page for DR2 also had a huge spoiler in one of the screenshots, haha.

UberTag

Steam version is $80 CAD? Ugh. How much is the Vita version?
The physical version is $54.50 on Amazon. $49.49 w/ Prime. You'll likely have to pony up for shipping if you want to get it on Tuesday and not wait a week.
I believe it'll be $53.49 digitally when it goes up on Tuesday.

hbkdx12

Didn't realize they had a demo. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the input

Have you heard of/played ace attorney? It's like that but with high school kids murdering each other while a stuffed bear laughs at them.
Heard of ace attorney but never played it. The subject matter for Danganronpa has enough to interest me either way

read this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424388

Also DR2 isn't GOAT material but it definitely is GOTY material. It may be in my top 10 or a bit above that.

Theres this primer thread created either today or yesterday with all the info you need :D

Awesome!. Thanks

Top Bottom