• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 Review Thread

What was spoilery about it? Are you talking about the PS4 Pre-order theme?

Probably. I'm likely just being oversensitive to it, but it showed a character as prominent that I hadn't seen made prominent in promotional art, boxart, etc. Just seemed indicative.

But if that's what Spike Chunsoft want to show us, then it hardly constitutes a spoiler.

Sapientas

Probably. I'm likely just being oversensitive to it, but it showed a character as prominent that I hadn't seen made prominent in promotional art, boxart, etc. Just seemed indicative.

But if that's what Spike Chunsoft want to show us, then it hardly constitutes a spoiler.
Searched for images of this and none of it looks spoilery.

Gradon

If you're referring to the Pre-Order theme here then I believe you're just being a bit paranoid.

I couldn't find any other themes that are spoilery fyi. I wouldn't worry about the promotional stuff, Spike are usually on point with not spoiling anything.

dhlt25

Can anybody sell me on this series? Highs/lows, Good/Bad?

With this new game coming out I've been hearing a lot about it and upon looking into it, it piqued my interest.

As someone who's not familiar with the series, I'm getting that Yakuza vibe where it's this multifaceted Japanese game that on paper doesn't really seem like it should work but once you play it, everything about it just clicks and sucks you in. That being said, I took a chance with Yakuza 0 (with some nudging from GAF) and came out throughly engrossed with the characters and series.

If it's worth the investment, I'd have no problem starting with the first two games as some of the reviews I've seen for V3 suggests newcomers may be in over their head a bit.

I've also seen various people say the second game is up there with being one of the best games ever.

it's an ok mystery VN series, on a case by case basis the story is fun to follow but the overarching plot is absolute nonsense and only get worse as you go. Gameplay is terrible. If AA series is a 9 this series is a 6 for me. the first two zero escape game is much better imo, at least you don't have to put up with the dumb mini games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I must be the only one who likes the series over AA and Zero Escape.

It's hard to a series to surpass AA for me since I had a lot of nostalgy for those games.
As for Zero Escape...yes unless I end up hating V3 I think I prefer Danganronpa to VLR and ZTD at least. 999 is unbeatable but VLR, although being good, suffers from potential wasted in ZTD. As of right now, I will choose D1 and D2 over VLR and ZTD.

benzopil

It's not at all multifaceted like Yakuza. Danganronpa is a entirely linear visual novel with gameplay limited to [terrible] mini games alone that thrives on its style. I would honestly question both the taste and the media exposure of anyone who says DR2 is "one of the best games ever". There's a "shocking" event late in DR2 that seems pretty cool, but it falls apart if you think about it for more than a couple seconds.

The games are incredibly stylish in their presentation, though. It's a delight to see the animations and hear the music/sound effects.

Why not YouTube the first case of DR2 or just play the demo for V3?

Highest horse I've ever seen

Zeroro

I must be the only one who likes the series over AA and Zero Escape.

I used to be really into AA but fell off of it around the release of Dual Destinies, which I never played, and I didn't find out about DR until that Something Awful LP of DR1 blew up (which was in the same year that Dual Destinies came out, coincidentally), but pretty much everything about DR's weird/goofy aesthetic and the format of its trials clicked with me immediately.

UberTag

AA = Best Trilogy (those first three games)
ZE = Best Single-Game (Virtue's Last Reward), Best End-Game Twist (999)
DR = Best Franchise

Arguments are kind of moot because all of these are pretty much dead after this week and we need some new visual novel games to step up and fill the void.

selo

Hmm, its tough. AA has some great cases (as well as some god awful ones... looking at you, moe), danganronpa has less entries than AA but I believe their stories have more weight and are deeper than anything you'll get in AA. I'm not sure, I'd rank them the same, but yeah
1.- DR / AA
2.- ZE

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
AA is nice, especially AA1-3 and AAT2 but AA5 onwards felt a bit way too wacky for the series (even if I did like 6, 5 had several cringey stuff).

BTA

Eh, AA is highly variable due to the length of the series but I'd put my fondness for them overall above ZE and DR even if most of them are not actually better games? I'd definitely put 999 and VLR above DR 1 and 2 though. I love them both but they're much more... popcorny? Compared to what the ZE games go for story and concept wise. Which isn't a complaint at all; I just don't think as highly of them in the end (which isn't true of all goofy/ridiculous things, cause I'm into that, but in this case it is).

and ZTD exists in the trash with UDG

ULTROS!

and ZTD exists in the trash with UDG

Fortunately UDG is a spinoff, but ZTD isn't and is essential to the ZE series. :(

A lot of promo art and such for the series, especially V3, has totally random characters front and center so don't worry about it.

Yeah the original AA trilogy built a very nice lore and a set of cases that culminated nicely with the finale of 3, which tied together all three games. Danganronpa 1 and 2 may overall have 'crazier' deaths and cases but the main narrative is somewhat lacking (or rather, it has stuck a bit too much with the original game), so unless V3 is truly exceptional I will still prefer the AA trilogy.

On the other hand, unless V3 is dogshit, I will prefer Danganronpa to ZE as well.

ULTROS!

You're from PH right? Where is it available? I'm planning to buy this game at the earliest time possible.

iTech.

It was out since last week Thursday. :p

ULTROS!

I love ZE. I'll put it at first,ZE > DR > AA.

Danganronpa feels like a mix between ZE and AA.

I think the best description of DR is that it's AA with a healthy dose of shrooms and despair.

Jimrpg

Can anybody sell me on this series? Highs/lows, Good/Bad?

With this new game coming out I've been hearing a lot about it and upon looking into it, it piqued my interest.

As someone who's not familiar with the series, I'm getting that Yakuza vibe where it's this multifaceted Japanese game that on paper doesn't really seem like it should work but once you play it, everything about it just clicks and sucks you in. That being said, I took a chance with Yakuza 0 (with some nudging from GAF) and came out throughly engrossed with the characters and series.

If it's worth the investment, I'd have no problem starting with the first two games as some of the reviews I've seen for V3 suggests newcomers may be in over their head a bit.

I've also seen various people say the second game is up there with being one of the best games ever.

I just wanted to provide a counter point to all the people curious about the game and all the positive comments, not trying to be a downer or anything, just providing a different perspective. I played the first Danganronpa and it didn't really grab me.

I was drawn in by the premise as sort of like a school kids Battle Royale type VN, but I think a lot of my disappointment lies in the fact that the plot doesn't really go much further than the premise. I think a lot of fans love the characters in this, but I find them all a little weird and different and without any one to root for. The characters are EXTREMLEY over the top. The girl with the scissors (Toko?) is definitely a prime example of this. The bear at least is extremely funny (most of the time).

The other aspect is the gameplay, the exploration part is pretty annoying where you have to check rooms to find items to move the story along, its a port of a PSP game so don't expect too much here from the actual controls either. The other parts of the gameplay such as the part where you have to detect the lie in other characters accounts of the events, and the weird musical hangman game can be frustrating to play too.

I know a lot of people look at these hybrid VN/gameplay games as gateway VN games, but honestly just playing a pure VN without gameplay and just a great story overall is a better experience.

EDIT: Btw its nothing like Yakuza 0. Yakuza 0 has a serious mafia story. Danganronpa is more like a Battle Royale anime set in a school with wacky characters.

ZeroX03

Banned
AA kicks DR off a cliff. DR could barely sustain two games with how DR2 dropped off, we'll see how V3 fares. That AA is more grounded and episodic nature helps it stay more palatable, despite how scared it is of shying too far away from Phoenix. That said, not killing off the bulk of the characters helps. And it's not just the Trilogy, AA6 was fantastic. DR has stronger shock/spectacle/style and is certainly adrenaline pumping, but I think it's just fundamentally a weaker base than AA.

Have only played 999, and not enough to judge the series. Got a bunch of twists spoiled for me from Gaffers not tagging so eh.

Here's one for yall
DR2 - Case 5 vs AA3 - Case 5

As for my ranking from the golden VN trio:

AA1 > AA3 > VLR > DR2 > 999 > DR1 > AA4 > AA6 > AA2 > AA5 > ZTD

AA1 is the best one for me, because of AA1 - Case 5. I still enjoyed playing all of them and I don't think any of them is a bad game. v3 is so far pretty high for me.

AA 3-5 tied together so many plot points from past AA games and is a fitting conclusion to the trilogy. It also uses its cast of characters incredibly well and made you face the most prominent rival character in the series.

D2-5 has some of the best shocking moments from the series, it's overall well paced and it plays really well with players expectations about who did it, but the message of the game was left for D2-6, so I'm going with AA for this one.

Edit: for those who like zero escape or vn in general you should really play ever17, it's the best one by zero escape writer in my opinion.

ffvorax

I'm trying to understand all these abbreviations you are using here.... still don't understand what the hell is AA...???

Damn I hate all this internet way to abbreviate everything... :\

EDIT:
Is it Phoenix Wright??? AA stands for ace attorney?

If correct that's my view:

PW:AA is an incredible series.
Zero Escape is good.
DR is super the best in atmosphere.

DR==PW>ZE

Just choosing my best game for each I say DR1, PW 6 and VLR. (waiting to play DRV3)

ZeroX03

Banned
DR2’s chapter 5 is some bullshit. It’s nothing close to AA3-5. It might be one of DR’s stronger emotional cases, but it wasn’t fun to investigate and the technicality of the kill was a huge stretch.

I'm trying to understand all these abbreviations you are using here.... still don't understand what the hell is AA...???

Damn I hate all this internet way to abbreviate everything... :

EDIT:

Yes Ace Attorney. Not all the games star Phoenix Wright.

Oh boy, we're doing this now? =O

AA3 > 999 > AAI2 >= AA6 > AA1 > VLR > DR2 > AA2 >= DR1 > AAI1 > AA5 > ZTD > AA4

(not an actual spoiler)
I had to order the AA series first before plopping the other games in there lol.

If DRV3 can be at least on par with AA5 then I'll be happy. The only games that left more of a sour taste in my mouth were ZTD and AA4.

...Man, I've played a ton of these kinds of adventure games.

ffvorax

DR2’s chapter 5 is some bullshit. It’s nothing close to AA3-5.

Yes Ace Attorney. Not all the games star Phoenix Wright.

Ok ok, because I always call it PW, and for me the Apollo and other games are like spin-off after all... so I was so confused about AA... :D

Ok ok, because I always call it PW, and for me the Apollo and other games are like spin-off after all... so I was so confused about AA... :D

Apollo Justice is Ace Attorney 4. It's more fitting to call the series Ace Attorney regardless because it's the only name shared across all the games, including spin-offs.

ZeroX03

Banned

Apollo Justice is Ace Attorney 4. It's more fitting to call the series Ace Attorney regardless because it's the only name shared across all the games, including spin-offs.

Yeah Apollo's 'trilogy' is mainline. The Japanese titles don't make a distinction between them either, it's just Gyakuten Saiban 1-6.

And even Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright has Ace Attorney at the end!

Lusankya

Damn I hate all this internet way to abbreviate everything... :\

EDIT:

If correct that's my view:

PW:AA is an incredible series.
Zero Escape is good.
DR is super the best in atmosphere.

DR==PW>ZE

Just choosing my best game for each I say DR1, PW 6 and VLR. (waiting to play DRV3)

In general the series is called Ace Attorney, as there are several entries in the series you can't really call "Phoenix Wright games" (e.g. Ace Attorney Investigations 1+2, The Great Ace Attorney 1+2, Apollo Justice).

It's really hard to rank the games (especially of all three series), but I can say I don't dislike a single entry (no, not even ZTD or DR:AE).
Highlights are VLR, AA3 and AAI2 for me. Other great entries include DR2, 999 and AA1+AA6.

Since everyone seems to be doing it it, well why not I'm going to try put my thoughts in order:

Ever17> AA3 > 999=AAI2 > D2=D1 > AA6 > AA1 > Great AA > VLR > AA5 > AA2 > ZTD > AA4 > UDG > AAI1

This is difficult. Honestly I like all of them, even if the bad parts on some overshadow the good parts more.

ffvorax

Thx to all for the explanations, I was always a bit confused about the serie...there are a lot of games (not played all still...) and had some doubts about it!
Looks like AA it is really the best way to call it.
:)

Top Bottom