• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 Review Thread

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
That's not true. There's....well.....that game....um.....

Shit.

Also there’s the.... wait... hmmmmm... ahhhh

I want this to be better than DR1&2 which I found sort of okay but lacking. These reviews seem to suggest this one is pretty good though

Edit: ZTD was 100% trash. Second worst game I’ve played in recent memory after UDG. Hopefully this is nothing like either of them

Strings

I don't comprehend the exaggerated ZTD hatred. Yes, the game is weak compared to the first two and felt more like a spin-off than a proper conclusion. That said, I still had fun. It's not terrible in and of itself, just weak when measured against my expectations as a series super-fan.

Yeah, same. Like, a weak ending, but I still enjoyed most of the journey.

Also, re: the divisiveness of V3. I played through the Japanese release and really dug everything about the game outside of the twist. Still enjoyed my time with it a lot, but yeah, aggravating direction to take it - kind of how I felt with Danganronpa 2 too.

ZTD is asscheeks and it's hard to find people who disagree.

VLR is more of a divisive game.

It's hard to find people who disagree on GAF because of the small number of people who go all militant if you even suggest it's not the worst thing ever, because having a weak last quarter or so doesn't ruin all the bits you liked before then isn't allowed.

BTA

Not very cool that there seems to be an extremely forced message, but those scores are pretty fucking cool. I'm hyped.

I mean it's not like the original 2 were very subtle with things about hope and despair, creating your own future, etc. etc.

I'm expecting whatever the message is to be more blatant, obviously, but still.

MGS2 had a forced message and was fantastic. I can't wait for V3 regardless of the message.

True, though with DRV3 I'm expecting something not as profound.

I mean it's not like the original 2 were very subtle with things about hope and despair, creating your own future, etc. etc.

I'm expecting whatever the message is to be more blatant, obviously, but still.

Agreed.

ffvorax

Already preordered my physical PSVITA copy... I own all physical, so it's an exception, I usually buy all digital on PSVITA...
I don't fear bad reviews, I liked even the anime...

bleaker

I hope the ending is completely batshit insane, now that Twin Peaks is over I need more wtf in my life. Super hyped, I adore this series. Except for the second half of Danganronpa 3. Fuck that.

Having played the game when it released in Japan, I can confirm it's going to be polarizing.

I totally loved the twists and the ending. Very entertaining. But at the same time, it also instills a weird feeling in me when I think about it.

It's very difficult to talk about it without spoiling, so I'm not gonna say more.

It's a very very good game for its main campaign but I liked it less when it comes to the extra content, which I feel is too much of a grind... (I still want to do it but I'm still not feeling it even months later)

Ekid

Not surprised in the slightest, DR3 convinced me that Kodaka was done with the series.

I will buy Chaos;Child instead.

GoldStarz

Not surprised in the slightest, DG3 convinced me that Kodaka was done with the series.

I will buy Chaos;Child instead.

He's now officially done with the series for now, which I think is for the best. He laid a good foundation for what the franchise can do with DR1, DR0, and DRAE, but 3 and V3 really show Kodaka's limits in my opinion.

It's hard to find people who disagree on GAF because of the small number of people who go all militant if you even suggest it's not the worst thing ever, because having a weak last quarter or so doesn't ruin all the bits you liked before then isn't allowed.

This. I feel like Zero Time Dilemma respects the theme of the series a hell of a lot more than Danganronpa 3 did. Whether people agree with that or not is another story, (and people on GAF sure don't).

I would also apply the MGS2 divisive tag to that game.

GoldStarz

Alright, that was my worst case scenario. Thanks!

The Chihiro thing isn't bigoted so much as it poorly translates to the west since a) the subculture Chihiro is apart of doesn't exist here and b) people took it to mean that Chihiro was trans and it was a take on trans issues rather than masculinity and gender roles (which the whole trial was about)

Fluloco

Having played the game when it released in Japan, I can confirm it's going to be polarizing.

I totally loved the twists and the ending. Very entertaining. But at the same time, it also instills a weird feeling in me when I think about it.

It's very difficult to talk about it without spoiling, so I'm not gonna say more.

It's a very very good game for its main campaign but I liked it less when it comes to the extra content, which I feel is too much of a grind... (I still want to do it but I'm still not feeling it even months later)

I actually had some weird feelings about DR1, the despair theme in that game really got into me in a way I didn't expect. That feeling wasn't as present in DR2, but I hope that something like that returns in V3

selo

It was released in the west, but that was a really long time ago and the company that brought it over dropped out of the VN business.

This was before the age of digital games, so physical copies are really expensive and hard to find.

Most people end up sailing the high seas for the whereabouts, if you catch my drift.

EDIT: 200 USD ON EBAY It's a crime to even charge half as much for it if you ask me.

Oh I see. Thanks guys, I'll see if i can find it somewhere then.

sjay1994

I said fuck it and decided to spoil the ending for myself

latest

Lololol fuck this franchise

Yup, looked it up too.

D1-V3 Spoilers?
At least its not Junko again

I enjoyed D1 and 2 until the final chapter where things jump the shark, D3 anime was a mess and UDG was god awful.

I hate that I got involved with Danganronpa because I wanted an alternative to Persona and Ace Attorney.

I'll just wait for those games.

It’d be nice if we could go easy on the spoiler tags. We’re so close to the release and someone is bound to click by accident since it’s not a spoiler thread.

ZeroX03

Banned
Conflicted about even playing this game. Just want the damn narrative and story to end properly and apparently this doesn’t do that and the anime tries and fails horribly. Felt it’s been a downhill ride after the first one. I’m intrigued by this forced message and ending but not sure how much I care to invest that kind of time. Also just waiting for someone on GAF to post an unspoiled list of all the killers and victims like what happened with fucking DR2 ugh

Sandfox

Conflicted about even playing this game. Just want the damn narrative and story to end properly and apparently this doesn’t do that and the anime tries and fails horribly. Felt it’s been a downhill ride after the first one. I’m intrigued by this forced message and ending but not sure how much I care to invest that kind of time. Also just waiting for someone on GAF to post an unspoiled list of all the killers and victims like what happened with fucking DR2 ugh
People may not like the series itself, but the anime wraps up everything.

RRockman

Banned
I’m still confused as to how standalone V3 actually is.

Well, there's some call backs and subversions that are targeted towards returning players, but the nature of this game being an sequel in a different universe, no plot threads are actually carried over.

It's a fresh start, if you will.

While you'll still get the "point" when all is said and done it will be enhanced with knowledge from the other games. Basically, you can and still understand but you will get the most out of it if you've played 1 and 2.

Is it true that this game is 55 hours long?

If so, does it overstay its welcome? I felt that 2 was really dragging itself along towards the end.

Moze

Banned
Is it important to play DR2? I have played DR1 and played about 10 hours of DR2. I want to jump straight to this one now.

Top Bottom