• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 - Xbox 360 vs PS3 Demos Comparison

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If you squint hard enough you might convince yourself there's some sort of difference.

As it stands they're so close that they're identical for all intensive purposes.

Zilch

Banned
If you can't see a difference in sharpness, you either need a better monitor or you're boarding from your Wii.

I've no stake in either system/version of the game.

jett

D-Member
Other than the crisper output of the 360 version, they look identical.

...in motion not really, sadly. :p

Dot50Cal

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
The QAA really blurs the crap out of everything.
It doesn't really though. And I've brought evidence!

People with a keen eye might have noticed that the AA turns off at times in the PS3 demo. Some folks at B3D speculated that the engine probably does this so it doesn't drop frames. Anyway, I caught a shot of this and managed to come away with a near identical frame set with AA on and off. You can see how the QAA blurs SOMEWHAT, but its not really super bad. The real culprit (I assume, since these arent HD) is the capture method used for these shots. Its either S-Video, or Component. Both of which use the analog out on PS3, which is really terrible compared to the 360.

QAA on:
NpsjlnCkk.jpg

QAA off:
bXcjipchY.jpg

It's like this. If you've only got one system, just get RE5 for that, as it looks great either way.

If you've got both, you have to pick between whether you want a sharper image and more detail at the expense of tearing, or less jaggies and better colours at the expense of slowdown.

me Jojo

I prefer less blurr but without the comparison I doubt I'd ever have noticed. Thank god I know this now. This topic has made my life complete.

Dot50Cal

Banned
RiZ III said:
PS3 is considerably more blurred. Textures are probably the same, its just the way Capcom does AA on PS3. They basically blend the previous frame with the current.
Thats Temporal AA, and its not what they are doing here. They used it on DMC4, but here they are using Quinix on PS3

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
m0dus said:
"for all intensive purposes?"

I don't suppose you actually mean . . 'for all Intents and purposes' :)

Ah, internet. destroying the english language one precious letter at a time . . .

It's a bit of a running joke on GAF.

jett

D-Member
The only thing that surprises me are the framerate issues...DMC4 used the same engine and it ran better on the PS3.

Dot50Cal

Banned
RiZ III said:
That's what they did for DMC4 and Lost Planet if I recall, I would guess it is the same here.
You'd see a ghost frame pretty obviously if that were the case, and as you can see, the blur stops when the AA turns off. Thus, its Quinix.

Mr. Pointy said:
It's like this. If you've only got one system, just get RE5 for that, as it looks great either way.

If you've got both, you have to pick between whether you want a sharper image and more detail at the expense of tearing, or less jaggies and better colours at the expense of slowdown.
the retail build is likely going to look significantly better on both systems because this demo is pretty fucking old, this comparison is not in any way something to base your purchase on. people should do it based on which set of friends they want to play through it cooperatively with.

RiZ III

Dot50Cal said:
You'd see a ghost frame pretty obviously if that were the case, and as you can see, the blur stops when the AA turns off. Thus, its Quinix.

Ahh I see. Interesting. I haven't played the demo, just waiting for the game, so I didn't realize there is no ghosting. It was pretty subtle in DMC4, but yea it seems they are using Quincunx.

I'm getting why there is some final version comparison threads but why comparing demos ?
They may not be on the same version of the game. There is most of time different teams and different plannings for two versions of one game.

Tideas

Banned
this is the reason why most dev don't release demos until AFTER the game has come out. Because if it is before, it usually tends to be a very old build

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
360 version looks sharper and more detailed texture-wise, but someone else did this for the JPN demos before which I guess are the same since they already had 4 languages built in or so...

What's new to me is the framerate problems I've been reading about in the PS3 RE5...

Dot50Cal

Banned
Skilotonn said:
360 version looks sharper and more detailed texture-wise, but someone else did this for the JPN demos before which I guess are the same since they already had 4 languages built in or so...
They are the same. Well, somewhat. The 360 version has some audio files removed in the US demo, but the ps3 versions are all 1:1 with each other.

Aquanox said:
I'm not sure if QAA also justifies this:
Here you are also seeing one of the interesting "bugs" on the 360 with the Framework engine. It must be an ATI card optimization or something, cause I saw something similar with some old PC video card shoot outs. Anyway, it seems to have really harsh mipmap transitions. So stuff in the background, which should be blurred, isnt. Take his glasses for example. They are crystal clear, razor sharp, while the area around his head isn't. I also pointed this out during a DMC4 comparison, with a jester monster, or whatever it was.

Haunted

360 version looks much better in those screens, it's not even debatable.

Too bad I didn't like the gameplay in either. :/

Jaruru

played both versions. didn't notice a diff while playing in motion.

I only hope the co-op goes smooth when its' released. the CPU controlled char ruins the gameplay

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Skilotonn said:

What's new to me is the framerate problems I've been reading about in the PS3 RE5...

Texture resolution is identical but the image rendering is slightly softer on PS3. I doubt this is even perceptible on a TV, let alone when in motion.

I played the demo on PS3 about 10 times last night. I don't recall any obvious or even remotely annoying framerate dips.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I'm guessing they are running at slightly different resolutions(and the PS3 upscaling is crap as usual) The 360 version looks just slightly sharper not a big deal as long as they can iron out the suposed frame rate issues on PS3.

Look at the skin details, their better on the 360 although the brightness\contrast level on the PS3 could just be hiding the details.

Haunted said:
360 version looks much better, it's not a contest.

how does it look "much better", I dont see it, they look exactly the same, in a couple of shots the 360 has a bit darker colors but thats all i see.

Haunted

dreamer3kx said:
how does it look "much better", I dont see it, they look exactly the same, in a couple of shots the 360 has a bit darker colors but thats all i see.
Then just be happy that you're not noticing the difference and stop looking at those shots.

Will just diminish your enjoyment of the game if you're planning to play it on the PS3.

h3ro

tinfoilhatman said:
I'm guessing they are running at slightly different resolutions(and the PS3 upscaling is crap as usual) The 360 version looks just slightly sharper not a big deal as long as they can iron out the suposed frame rate issues on PS3.

Both are rendering at 1280x70. Read up a few posts.

http://kotaku.com/5112949/resident-evil-5-co+op-event-part-the-second-the-new-stuff

I also came away with three things I liked (or at least didn’t hate):
1) The facial expressions (on the human characters, at least) look real. That moment when Sheva sees Josh for the first time, her eyes widen and then narrow in recognition. I’ve never seen this somewhat subtle facial expression done as realistically in any other game.

2) The PS3 version looked almost identical to the 360 version in the secret levels. I was really worried there, having seen the disparity between the 360 and PS3 on the Japanese demo; but it looks like the demo is way older code.

3) Flamethrowers. We weren’t supposed to see them, but a saucy demo guy spawned Chris in with one for the oil field level.
All in all, I came away from Capcom feeling a little disappointed. It was like getting the kind of gift I wanted, but finding out it’s the wrong type – a Nerf rifle instead of a Super Soaker. I realize Resident Evil 4 was a total departure from the straightforward survival horror genre what with the over-the-shoulder cam and daylight sequences where you’re leading Ashley around. But for some reason, I still felt like it was true to the original Resident Evil because it was upsetting and scary. RE5 doesn’t have that, or at least didn’t show it in the demo or these new levels. What I saw played more like a bland shooter with occasional stressful moments where I was trying to juggle the needs of my partner versus how much ammo I had left. I was never lonely, never anxious and never scared.

Again, old as hell. You people are about to get worked up over nothing. Regardless, I say this will get to 251 pages.

Calcaneus

Haunted said:
Then just be happy that you're not noticing the difference and stop looking at those shots.

Will just diminish your enjoyment of the game if you're planning to play it on the PS3.
:lol

FrankT

Haunted said:
360 version looks much better in those screens, it's not even debatable.

In looks it is a bit better, but the framerate chugging/added jags are a deal breaker and a review out of Europe says the framerate issues remain in the review copy.

Angelus Errare said:
http://kotaku.com/5112949/resident-evil-5-co+op-event-part-the-second-the-new-stuff

Again, old as hell. You people are about to get worked up over nothing. Regardless, I say this will get to 251 pages.

Framerate issues still remain in the review copy. No clue on the jags, but if I had to guess it will be the same.

Haunted said:

Im happy:D

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I dunno, Im running the PS3 demo and it looks WAY sharper and more detailed than whats shown in these screens. Maybe the settings on my tv are perfect for this game, or maybe its the way the OP captured the screens but its definately not representative of what I played. Whatever, in the end its framerate that matters anyway. :p

Top Bottom