• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 - Xbox 360 vs PS3 Demos Comparison

CerberusE

Neo Member
Darn, wasn't expecting such huge differences.

Now I can't unsee it when I'm shooting hordes of zombies in the PS3 version. Game ruined.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Jtyettis said:
In looks it is a bit better, but the framerate chugging/added jags are a deal breaker and a review out of Europe says the framerate issues remain in the review copy.

Framerate issues still remain in the review copy. No clue on the jags, but if I had to guess it will be the same.

I didn't notice any framerate issues in the demo.

Non-issue.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Between the PS3/360 version, well I think others here indeed have including myself.

If you have to play both versions to notice it in one version, it's a non-issue.

jax (old)

Banned
omg rite said:
I didn't notice any framerate issues in the demo.

Non-issue.

Some people just aren't perceptive of things like this. For me, I noticed a jarring amount of chug before even before I walked 10 feet in the PS3 version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
omg rite said:
If you have to play both versions to notice it in one version, it's a non-issue.
Not really. The PS3 demo slows down quite often. It's something you would notice regardless. The 360 demo, however, does not.

That said, I still believe the PS3 code is rather old at this point and the full game might run much smoother. I'm still going for the 360 version, though, just to be safe.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Jtyettis said:
...the framerate chugging/added jags are a deal breaker and a review out of Europe says the framerate issues remain in the review copy.

Did this same person review the 360 version as well? What, is the 360 version silky smooth or something?

Jonsoncao

Banned
tapedeck said:
I dunno, Im running the PS3 demo and it looks WAY sharper and more detailed than whats shown in these screens. Maybe the settings on my tv are perfect for this game, or maybe its the way the OP captured the screens but its definately not representative of what I played. Whatever, in the end its framerate that matters anyway. :p
yah
Im running 360 demo it looks also WAY sharper and more detailed than those pix
a frame the capturing device gets surely looks different from that frame shown on your TV

revolverjgw said:
Some people just aren't perceptive of things like this. For me, I noticed a jarring amount of chug before even before I walked 10 feet in the PS3 version.

also Omg rite has probably the lowest standards in terms of gaming and movies on this forum :p I envy him

ZeoVGM

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
also Omg rite has probably the lowest standards in terms of gaming and movies on this forum :p I envy him

Probably the dumbest thing said in this already dumb thread. What are you even talking about? How does not noticing slowdown = low standards (which I do not have). Don't be stupid.

Not really. The PS3 demo slows down quite often. It's something you would notice regardless. The 360 demo, however, does not.

That may explain it actually. I misread. I thought we were talking about slowdown in the 360 version. That might be why I didn't notice it. :lol

revolverjgw said:

Not really. The PS3 demo slows down quite often.

WTH. I honestly never saw this. And I knew about these complaints before playing so I was looking for it.

FrankT

omg rite said:
Probably the dumbest thing said in this already dumb thread. What are you even talking about? How does not noticing slowdown = low standards (which I do not have). Don't be stupid.

That may explain it actually. I misread. I thought we were talking about slowdown in the 360 version. That might be why I didn't notice it. :lol

Oh no, pretty smooth throughout at least for the 30 or 40 times I've played it now heh.

This reminds me of the GTA4 comparisons from the softness to the color variation. I recently picked up the PS3 CE of GTA4 on the cheap (already had the 360) and did my own comparisons.

I personally prefer the crisper 360 look in both games, but if you prefer the softer, blurrier PS3 versions they are perfectly fine. It really just comes down to preference. However, if you can't look at some of those shots and see a difference, you are blind.

JudgeN

Jtyettis said:
In looks it is a bit better, but the framerate chugging/added jags are a deal breaker and a review out of Europe says the framerate issues remain in the review copy.

Framerate issues still remain in the review copy. No clue on the jags, but if I had to guess it will be the same.

what review is already out for RE5? Need links yo

deepbrown

tapedeck said:
I dunno, Im running the PS3 demo and it looks WAY sharper and more detailed than whats shown in these screens. Maybe the settings on my tv are perfect for this game, or maybe its the way the OP captured the screens but its definately not representative of what I played. Whatever, in the end its framerate that matters anyway. :p
Sounds like temporal AA then - blends frames either side to hide jaggies - something the eye won't see, but screenshots will show up.

detail is pretty much exactly the same...the ps3 version is more washed out so detail is obscured..

I couldn't really tell the difference, but I think because some people were saying the 360 is more detailed they are going to look for (and find) said differences

Aquanox

I wonder why some people keep insisting on that I made the captures myself when I provided a link for the source.

Lince

Banned
I thought the extra year since DMC4 would have helped Capcom to further optimize the Framework engine for the PS3... not (judging by the framerate of both demos and the allegedly mandatory 5 GB install)

someone at Naughty Dog / Guerrilla or Criterion should send some docs over to Capcom HQ and show how it's done, PS3 engines with fine detail texturing, geometry and good framerate performance without preloading anything to the HDD unit. (CC Konami while they're at it too)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lince said:
I thought the extra year since DMC4 would have helped Capcom to further optimize the Framework engine for the PS3... not (judging by the framerate of both demos and the allegedly mandatory 5 GB install)

someone at Naughty Dog / Guerrilla or Criterion should send some docs over to Capcom HQ and show how it's done, PS3 engines with fine detail texturing, geometry and good framerate performance without preloading anything to the HDD unit. (CC Konami while they're at it too)
What's odd is that DMC4 actually had a generally faster framerate on PS3 than 360. There were more trouble spots in the 360 version.

It's almost as if the PS3 version was covered with a thin coat of Vaseline. Good thing I bought a 360. Capcom seems to like it more.

Jonsoncao

Banned
for those who think there is neither slow-down nor blurry texture on PS3 RE5

there will be tons of comparisons going on(like framerate analysis in B3D), just wait and see

EDIT: "you dont notice" =/= "there exists no such thing"

Tom Penny

I'm still confused on how this game is considered to have spectacular graphics. The animations alone lower it from that level.

Dabanton

Jonsoncao said:
for those who think there is neither slow-down nor blurry texture on PS3 RE5

there will be tons of comparisons going on(like framerate analysis in B3D), just wait and see

They'll still swear blind there's no difference...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Tom Penny said:
I'm still confused on how this game is considered to have spectacular graphics. The animations alone lower it from that level.

The animations aren't horrible though. They're fine. Nothing mind blowing, but the rest of the graphics are. It's a beautiful game.

Lince

Banned
dark10x said:
What's odd is that DMC4 actually had a generally faster framerate on PS3 than 360. There were more trouble spots in the 360 version.

yeah, and that ice shader... but DMC4 development was a mystery, it began as a PS3 exclusive and ended up with that "lone coder at Capcom porting DMC4 to PS3" story, hilarious. Anyway, the PC version was awesome and RE5 PC would be my safe way to go this time around, lots of awesome games to play in the mean time.

ChoklitReign said:
It's almost as if the PS3 version was covered with a thin coat of Vaseline.

20j5ve9.jpg

There was a better comparison done a month ago between the two demos that showed differences you are not seeing in these screen shots.

Mainly lack of heat effects/haze effects, much better screencap comparions, etc. I'm going to find the link.

I checked the properties of each picture to make sure they weren't just the same one listed twice.

Also the PS3 demo is twice the size of the 360 one. What the fuck does that mean?

lips

Lince said:
yeah, and that ice shader... but DMC4 development was a mystery, it began as a PS3 exclusive and ended up with that "lone coder at Capcom porting DMC4 to PS3" story, hilarious. Anyway, the PC version was awesome and RE5 PC would be my safe way to go this time around, lots of awesome games to play in the mean time.

perhaps RE5 was developed on Xbox 360. Capcom has probably release as many Xbox exclusives as anyone else.

tanod

when is my burrito
Angelus Errare said:
Quoting Kotaku:I also came away with three things I liked (or at least didn’t hate):
1) The facial expressions (on the human characters, at least) look real. That moment when Sheva sees Josh for the first time, her eyes widen and then narrow in recognition. I’ve never seen this somewhat subtle facial expression done as realistically in any other game.

Kotaku guy apparently hasn't played Heavenly Sword: Torchbearer of the most real-looking facial animations in a video game that's been released.

manzo

In this topic, PS3 fanboys say the PS3 version is better. Also, the 360 boys say 360 looks better.

Enjoy the game, it's identical for both, minor texture detail here and there, who cares?

Meier

Still haven't played the demo. Kind of forgot how damn gorgeous this game looks... better give it a runthrough this evening.

manzo said:
In this topic, PS3 fanboys say the PS3 version is better.
From those shots alone, how could anyone say the PS3 version looked better? The difference is staggering.

Synless

Arpharmd B said:
There was a better comparison done a month ago between the two demos that showed differences you are not seeing in these screen shots.

Mainly lack of heat effects/haze effects, much better screencap comparions, etc. I'm going to find the link.
The funny thing is, the ps3 demo version in this game has the haze and heat effects. I compared the two yesterday and clearly the effects were there.

ph15h

Neo Member
=/ I remember the days when you didn't need pictures to tell the difference in Graphics. Then again... I remember the days when people just played the game.

Tom Penny

omg rite said:
The animations aren't horrible though. They're fine. Nothing mind blowing, but the rest of the graphics are. It's a beautiful game.

Too each his own. They are basically the same animations from the last game and the 2 demo levels just look flat and bland IMO.

the framerate is pretty bad at times on ps3, but what I am playing looks pretty much exactly the same as all the vids seen for 360... I have to laugh at those pointing out differences in detail when it is obvious from those screens at least that loss of detail is accounted for by being washed out....

I find alot of these threads funny though...most of the time the differences are so negligible...if one looked significantly better than the other it would be the best looking game around...which it isnt...

Synless

nelsonroyale said:
the framerate is pretty bad at times on ps3, but what I am playing looks pretty much exactly the same as all the vids seen for 360... I have to laugh at those pointing out differences in detail when it is obvious from those screens at least that loss of detail is accounted for by being washed out....

I find alot of these threads funny though...most of the time the differences are so negligible...if one looked significantly better than the other it would be the best looking game around...which it isnt...
I am sure that the framerate won't be nearly as bad on the ps3 if this demo really is an old build. After DMC4 I'm sure the differences will be barely noticeable at all unless your analyzing the shit out of it.

JimmyV

Banned
the 360 looks sharper, nut for some reason it seems as though someone edited all the PS3 pics with a touch or blur into them =/

Top Bottom