• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

Irish

FUUUUUUUUUUU............ Posting again since I was the last post on the page.

I totally agree with Earthstrike regarding the VA. I think we've got a definitive DudeBro (cistek or whatever) and Chicken (V_Ben), but we need to start trying to find a Brollin' Stan, Pesquali, and Reverend Brahnson.

Now, I know thetrin hasn't given us any potential dialogue yet, so I'd suggest making something up based on what you think the character would say.

Their artwork can be located in the OP.

I've done a quick sample for both (neither of which can be used due to poor quality). You can find that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVf0BAUqE7APlay Now

Here are sample lines for both:

Stan: I'm sure you miss Rollin' with the Frat, DudeBro.

Brahnson: I see my Broners didn't last more than four hours, so no need to see a Doctor (Broctor).

So get out there and record, voice talent.

Septimus

Ahaha oh man I was reading the OP with a smile on my face and when I got to the Bioshock pic I just bursted out laughing! :lol

It might take a while longer then I intended.

I'm having a lot of fun translating Jocchan's art to 3D.:D

Here's the head of Reverend Brahnson:

jrp2lt.jpg

2u5u8wp.jpg

V_Ben

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
It might take a while longer then I intended.

I'm having a lot of fun translating Jocchan's art to 3D.:D

Here's the head of Reverend Brahnson:
(PICS)

goddamn. looks pretty sweet to me!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thunder Monkey: nice, haha

Earthstrike said:
Danthrax, I've been continuously updating my post in the other thread. Try readding my post into yours.

Other thread? The Babiez Fashion one? I'll go check. Let's try to keep it all in this thread, though

I'm liking the profile shot more then I am the shot from the front.

The hardest part of the model is now finished. After Daily Show I will continue on the rest, and probably finish around midnight central time. No guarantee's though. After that I'll move on to another baddie.

lordy88

Well, I would love to help with this game, and I think I've finally found the right avenue for me to help :-D I'm pretty confident I can make you guys some a good bro-hard rock theme or two if you're looking for one. Here's a small example of my guitar work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsCDuSP76-Y

This is a little easy on the guitar distortion as far as how high up to 11 I go. Seriously, let me know if you need a big guitar + drums track and I'll be sure to whip up something good for DudeBro II.

V_Ben

Banned
lordy88 said:
Well, I would love to help with this game, and I think I've finally found the right avenue for me to help :-D

I'm pretty confident I can make you guys some a good bro-hard rock theme or two if you're looking for one.

Here's a small example of my guitar work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsCDuSP76-Y

This is a little easy on the guitar distortion as far as how high up to 11 I go.

Seriously, let me know if you need a big guitar + drums track and I'll be sure to whip up something good for DudeBro II.

yay! the sound department (im "the sound guy" or "head of sound". dunno what my true title is :lol ) grows ever larger! if you check out the main theme (http://www.mediafire.com/?th5dd0hinov), see if you can make something cool along the lines laid out by it. maybe a cool level theme? or a badass guitar riff (preferably one that i can put a great drum beat behind in garageband), to make a seriously awesome boss theme. you may have seen the two boss concepts we have so far. maybe something cool and character based? Reverend Brahnson's theme would be a cool one to start on!

EDIT - i just listened to your youtube video. holy shit! you would be perfect for the "bro heavy" atmosphere we're going for! im going to be using a bit crusher for after effects, so when you have something badass, mediafire it and send it over, and we'll get some pure audio heaven cooked up!

Spoo

So, what are you guys programming in? Is it Unity3D for sure, or the side-scrolling engine (which I assume is C++/SDL-based?).

I had a game programming class that used Unity (Using their Javascript-like language) that was pretty fun, and I've used SDL before to do a simple game or two.

No idea if I'd have time to contribute, but I'm curious what the official plans are on that end? (Sorry if it was confirmed earlier in the thread).

lordy88

V_Ben said:
yay! the sound department (im "the sound guy" or "head of sound". dunno what my true title is :lol ) grows ever larger! if you check out the main theme (http://www.mediafire.com/?th5dd0hinov), see if you can make something cool along the lines laid out by it. maybe a cool level theme? or a badass guitar riff (preferably one that i can put a great drum beat behind in garageband), to make a seriously awesome boss theme. you may have seen the two boss concepts we have so far. maybe something cool and character based? Reverend Brahnson's theme would be a cool one to start on!

EDIT - i just listened to your youtube video. holy shit! you would be perfect for the "bro heavy" atmosphere we're going for! im going to be using a bit crusher for after effects, so when you have something badass, mediafire it and send it over, and we'll get some pure audio heaven cooked up!

Sweet! I'm happy you're down. I have a boatload of heavy riffs in my itunes just waiting to be used for something, and I think it'll be pretty cool to get them incorporated with one of the greatest projects I have seen in a while. Only problem is that I need to re-record most of them, and I won't get an opportunity to do that until the middle of next week unfortunately. Here are a couple more (all without guitar, and no on a click track) until I can re-record the good ones:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ygdzddm0mnz

Now that I think of this though, I'd probably whip up some 1 minute or so riff tracks instad of these "mini-songs" that I have here...This is gonna be fun!

Ca1amity

Neo Member
V_Ben said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxES5SBECv4

i loved the second one. maybe a little more rage? i reckon he would go pretty mental halfway through. maybe throw in a little evil laugh for good measure?

Thanks! I'll give it another shot tomorrow morning - I gotta finish this term paper so I can get back to the real work of contributing to the brommunity.

Ill try and write out some lines for the next one so I can focus on the emotion - hard to do when I'm making up lines on the spot

EDIT: Also, for any of the actual team out there that doesnt have a Google Wave invite and needs one, I have a few left just send me a PM

tenritsu

Banned
HOLY SHIT it got stickied!

I'll definitely volunteer in the sound/music category. Whatever musicks you need, I can provide.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
theusedversion said:
New designs at the Official Dudebro Online Store.

Dudebro Men's Fitted T-Shirt (dark)
421778743v2_350x350_Front_Color-Black.jpg

Dudebro Women's Fitted T-Shirt (dark)
421778741v3_350x350_Front_Color-Black.jpg

I'm going to have to buy a shirt for the game I'm working on? ...I think I can live with that. I'm going to have to get one at some point.

Ca1amity

Neo Member
tenritsu said:
HOLY SHIT it got stickied!

I'll definitely volunteer in the sound/music category. Whatever musicks you need, I can provide.

Of course it got stickied. It's straight-up dawgtime. Didnt you hear?

KillerAJD

I'm making a small Beretta 9000 pistol just to warm myself up in Max again. You guys can use the model when I finish it if you need one.

lordy88

Wow I kinda forgot that I already some more guitar + drum tracks recorded...

Let me know if you think any of these fit (some are...happier than others....) Keep in mind, I can re-record anything you like here to sound A LOT better than it does here. These recordings are a little old, and were done rather hastily.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ggnyymjznmf

V_Ben

Banned
lordy88 said:
Sweet! I'm happy you're down. I have a boatload of heavy riffs in my itunes jsut waiting to be used for something, and I think it'll be pretty cool to get them incorporated with one of the greatest projects I have seen in a while. Only problem is that I need to re-record most of them, and I won't get an opportunity to do that until the middle of next week unfortunately. Here are a couple more (all without guitar, and no on a click track) until I can re-record the good ones:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ygdzddm0mnz

Now that I think of this though, I'd probably whip up some 1 minute or so riff tracks instad of these "mini-songs" that I have here...This is gonna be fun!

oh. my. god. you are practically zeus with a guitar. im gonna give a little thing about each riff, so here goes!

Riff 85: liking the heavy nature of all of it, would make, in my head, a great theme for a boss fight of some sort. of perhaps a theme for when dudebro picks up a powerup (there are powerups right?)

Riff 89: HOLY SHIT. i love this riff, my favourite one of the lot. the beginning kicks off with a bang, and doesn't let go until the very end. you even give me the opportunity to loop it at the very end. needs to be heard. maybe a cutscene? or possibly a high score screen! yeah!

Riff 109: the fading nature of the riff is pretty neat, and once it gets going, it feels like an escape sequence! mainly due to the tempo methinks :D also, there is a slight tinge of some kind of asian feel to it. though im unsure as to why. love it :)

Riff 121: very gunfight. could be a level theme. i reckon a strong drum beat could make it bleeding amazing!

Riff 122: you know what? this sounds like Brahnson's theme right here. the perfect 5th (i think i heard one) sealed it for me. dunno what else to say, it is just sticking there in my head!

there u go! keep up the awesome work matey! also, if you write any more, could they be as "loop friendly" as possible? so they can just keep going and going! :D

EDIT-MC-EDIT: more to listen to? sweet!

CRWD - gah. a really good one, sounds familliar in my head to the main theme, so it would make a pretty sweet credits type thing. or, again, a boss encounter. maybe final boss! that would work!

Feelin' right: hmm. fairly cheery, but thats cool! i absolutely love the riff in this one, if theres a boss thats invented soon thats like the opposite of dudebro (y'know, camp and stuff!) then this would be perfect!

Gravem: Totally the game over theme. seriously, it sounds about right for it. has a sort of "funeral march" feel to it in my head :lol

ICB Project: wait. what? this sounds almost like it should be a ska song. i like ska, so thats alright by me. maybe a little too happy for dudebro. unless its an ending theme, with a happy ending behind it, i reckon it would be perfect!

Make What You Will: again, fairly dark an mysterious. seems like a level theme, but maybe one of the more brightly coloured levels? slight hope to it, so wherever that fits in the narrative, this could fit there!

there u go!

Kyzer

Banned
Well,

1) Is it too late to join in audio help? I can do a lot of songs with my guitar and keyboard.
2) I major in communications, and write stories in my spare time. Here's some constructive criticism:

a) Stop trying to make Dudebro himself funny. He should be restricted to badassery and slickness. You want comedy, you keep it to comic relief.
b) Inside jokes aren't really that funny. Seriously. You think it now, because you're a part of the joke, but what do you think every time you hear a mindless reference to a meme or inside joke on a fan project?
c) Keep it flowing naturally, don't overstuff the dialogue with unnecessary and unrealistic (and yes, I mean this in terms of the Dudebro universe) junk. (jokes slightly overdone.)
d) Here's my stab at it:

I think the whole story needs to be from a perspective other than Dudebro's. I envision it like a disciple following a hero and taking notes of all his trials/tribulations.

{Imagine that
disciple narrating here. Young BRO(Thur) in training.}
It was the year 21XX.

B.R.O. Alliance Forces were rolling across the Middle East, in constant search. We thought we would never find him...

I'll never forget that day...

Inside of a base tent, safe from the unrelenting desert outside, a scar-faced general stands in front of a tactical map. Several soldiers sit before him, including me, but only one there matters. His mane is glorious, and his stare an icy, deadly one. They call him...

“Dudebro,” the General growls, “we’ve called you in from the frontlines for a very important mission.”

“No shit, fuckface.” Dudebro growls, stroking his beard and grabbing at his crotch.

Those were the first words I would ever hear come from the mouth of the legend. And to a superior officer of his, no less. Even so, you'd be hard-pressed to find a trace of bewilderment in the General's calm demeanor. This was business as usual with Dudebro.

“We have reason to believe that Pesquali, one of the most dangerous terrorists to ever live is alive, and he’s selling weapons to the Middle East.”

Dudebro lit a fresh cigar. “Which part?” he asked, indifferently.

“All of it.” The General revealed, quite plainly.

Dudebro smirked. "My favorite part." He took a puff from his cigar.

"You want us to fuck the whole area in the...heh...general area? If you know what I mean..." Chicken said, laughing to himself.

Just when you thought you'd seen and heard it all, Chicken was always there to remind you he wasn't dead yet. [Insert more Chicken backstory here]

"Our intelligence tells us that-"

"The asshole." Chicken interjected.

"What?" The General said, completely caught off-guard.

"I meant the asshole. Fuck the area in the asshole. It was a sexual reference." Chicken explained, still laughing.

"Shut the fuck up, bro." Dudebro said, saving Chicken any further admonishment from the General. They pounded it on the sly.

The General stuck a Polaroid picture of the eye-scarred and mustachioed Pesquali on the map.

"Dudebro...you know what this mission entails."

Dudebro's eyes opened hard and veins all over his neck ran active when he saw our target. I nearly shat myself.

“Pesquali is mine!” Dudebro roared. He stood up and pointed at the image, making eye contact. "I warned you Pesquali! You shouldn't have fucked my shit up, because now I have to shoot you!" Dudebro crushed the air with his fist.

“And slice him too!” Dudebro’s sidekick Chicken interjects.

“And fucking slice you too!" Dudebro added.

I know it sounds eerie, but I swear, somewhere, somehow, Pesquali was quivering in his boots at the message Dudebro had just sent.

"You!"

He caught me off-guard. I almost shat my pants for the second time that day.

"What's your name?" He asked menacingly.

"Private Thur, sir." I said, trying my best not to shake.

"Tell me something Thur, you ever rip a man's nipples off with a nail clipper?"

"What!?" I said, not knowing how to answer.

"Then you have a lot to learn." He said sagely.

“You’ll have plenty of rip his nipples off in the field, Dudebro,” the General said. “In the meantime, we have to keep following Pesquali's trail, while our leads are still hot.”

The General looked to summon some confidence within himself for the first time in our presence.

"Follow the guns. Find. Our. Man."

As we stepped out of the tent, a helicopter was making its descent onto grounds not too far from us.

“Are we leaving already, Dude?” Chicken asked.

“Fuck yeah.” Dudebro answered. He took off his sunglasses to reveal another pair of sunglasses. “It’s Straight-up Dawg Time."

Something told me I was in for a wild ride.

lordy88

V_Ben said:
oh. my. god. you are practically zeus with a guitar. im gonna give a little thing about each riff, so here goes!

Riff 85: liking the heavy nature of all of it, would make, in my head, a great theme for a boss fight of some sort. of perhaps a theme for when dudebro picks up a powerup (there are powerups right?)

Riff 89: HOLY SHIT. i love this riff, my favourite one of the lot. the beginning kicks off with a bang, and doesn't let go until the very end. you even give me the opportunity to loop it at the very end. needs to be heard. maybe a cutscene? or possibly a high score screen! yeah!

Riff 109: the fading nature of the riff is pretty neat, and once it gets going, it feels like an escape sequence! mainly due to the tempo methinks :D also, there is a slight tinge of some kind of asian feel to it. though im unsure as to why. love it :)

Riff 121: very gunfight. could be a level theme. i reckon a strong drum beat could make it bleeding amazing!

Riff 122: you know what? this sounds like Brahnson's theme right here. the perfect 5th (i think i heard one) sealed it for me. dunno what else to say, it is just sticking there in my head!

there u go! keep up the awesome work matey! also, if you write any more, could they be as "loop friendly" as possible? so they can just keep going and going! :D

Cool man, thanks for the quick feedback! I have a lot more to choose from, and when I get the time next week I'll sit down and make these as loopy-friendly as possible. Happy you enjoyed em! In hindsight, the other zip I made most likely won't fit well into DudeBro, but still, too many ideas are better than too few :p. Seriously though, there's a reason that riff is labeled "Riff 122"...I think I'm up to like 160 or so right now, so I can make as many of these as DudeBro needs.

Damn, this thing got stickied? Pressure's on now. I know the actual voice acting is a ways off, but I'll still gonna do some more Brolling Stan samples tomorrow if my friend is available.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't know how good I can be, but I can attempt to provide some sound effects.

Also, if time allows, can we have some 'lame' unlockables? Like all the songs in the game replaced by hummed versions of the songs? All the dialog replaced by a single voice actor? Monotone mode, where all the dialog is spoken in monotone? An option that replaces all the sound effects with someone attempting to make the sound them selfs ("Bang. Bang. Slice. Shing. Boom. Bang. Bang. Patatatatata. Fhu! Whosh!")

V_Ben

Banned
Kyzer said:
Well,

1) Is it too late to join in audio help? I can do a lot of songs with my guitar and keyboard.[/I]

i dunno about the story stuff, but you're welcome to join my crack audio team! im the lead sound guy here, so check out the theme i posted, (the new one, old one was a bit dodgy!), and see what you can do! lordy88 has some awesome stuff too, so throw some samples over here, and i'll tell u what i think. welcome to the sound crew :D

EDIT;

Drkirby said:
I don't know how good I can be, but I can attempt to provide some sound effects.

Also, if time allows, can we have some 'lame' unlockables? Like all the songs in the game replaced by hummed versions of the songs? All the dialog replaced by a single voice actor? Monotone mode, where all the dialog is spoken in monotone? An option that replaces all the sound effects with someone attempting to make the sound them selfs ("Bang. Bang. Slice. Shing. Boom. Bang. Bang. Patatatatata. Fhu! Whosh!")

goddamn dude, feel free to go crazy with some sound effects, but i dunnno what you can do "effect-wise" so far. maybe once we have some weapons, you could give it a go!

Kyzer

Banned
V_Ben said:
i dunno about the story stuff, but you're welcome to join my crack audio team! im the lead sound guy here, so check out the theme i posted, (the new one, old one was a bit dodgy!), and see what you can do! lordy88 has some awesome stuff too, so throw some samples over here, and i'll tell u what i think. welcome to the sound crew :D

Sick.

Liking it all so far.

Kyzer, I'm fairly certain you can do some audio work. As of right now a lot of planning is occurring about who will be doing what.

This is the situation to the best of my understanding.
Initially these was just this spontaneous idea to make a game and a ton of volunteers came forward. Right now an organizational effort is underway to determine how things will get done, what will get done, and who is doing what.

If you like you can start trying to make some sound effects e.g. person dying sound, level completion melody, things of that nature or try making some level music.

nexen

Kyzer said:
“Fuck yeah.” Dudebro answered. He took off his sunglasses to reveal another pair of sunglasses. “It’s Straight-up Dawg Time."

Something about this part is hysterical to me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
V_Ben said:
goddamn dude, feel free to go crazy with some sound effects, but i dunnno what you can do "effect-wise" so far. maybe once we have some weapons, you could give it a go!
I know, I can just offer something. I'll be glad if anything I produce is good enough for the game, since I am just going to wing it :lol

Also, while random, I think Dr. Doomeyer laser eyes, if he makes the final cut, should not make any sound on there own, with Doomeyer making the sound effects him self :lol

Kyzer

Banned
Okay just talked to my band-mate, told him we're gonna record some video game tracks tomorrow.

I told him, and instead of sounding surprised he just asked,
"Like Mario or like Contra?"

I said "Like Contra"

And he said "Badass.":lol :lol

V_Ben

Banned
Kyzer said:
Okay just talked to my band-mate, told him we're gonna record some video game tracks tomorrow.

I said "Like Contra"

i'd suggest listening to some duke nukem ost too. the heavy feel is what we're going for here, that whole "BRO!" feel :lol

other than that, awesome!

lordy88

Kyzer said:

I said "Like Contra"

:lol :lol :lol :lol That's awesome. I'm excited to hear what you guys come up with!

Kyzer said:

I said "Like Contra"

:lol :lol :lol

Yeef

I have no choice but to subscribe to this thread. I'll probably grab a shirt or two eventually as well.

Tim-E

Kyzer said:

I said "Like Contra"

:lol :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kyzer said:

I said "Like Contra"

I like your band already. :lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Irish said:
FUUUUUUUUUUU............ Posting again since I was the last post on the page.

I totally agree with Earthstrike regarding the VA. I think we've got a definitive DudeBro (cistek or whatever) and Chicken (V_Ben), but we need to start trying to find a Brollin' Stan, Pesquali, and Reverend Brahnson.

Now, I know thetrin hasn't given us any potential dialogue yet, so I'd suggest making something up based on what you think the character would say.

Their artwork can be located in the OP.

I've done a quick sample for both (neither of which can be used due to poor quality). You can find that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVf0BAUqE7APlay Now

Here are sample lines for both:

Stan: I'm sure you miss Rollin' with the Frat, DudeBro.

Brahnson: I see my Broners didn't last more than four hours, so no need to see a Doctor (Broctor).

So get out there and record, voice talent.

I'll try to get something done tomorrow after work.

::edit::
Any direction on Brahnson other than this in the OP and the pics?

thetrin said:
Reverend B. Brahnson (& Broner)

Reverend Brahnson can reanimate the dead (regular enemies known as Broners). He moves around on a chariot made of Broner bones and carried by Broner horses (the player will need to kill them to be expose his weak point).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can anyone think of a way to fit a single RPG like battle into the game somehow? Maybe just randomly change the genera for a screen, or make it somewhat like the Kirby Super Star Computer Virus Boss?

Or would that break up the flow to much?

Top Bottom