• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 Exclusive Preorder DLCs

It's really surprising to see this sorta thing inflicted on a Japanese game, these Preorder DLCs are often synonymous with Western games and Western publishers.

Also, why is it that for all of the publisher/developer bitching about used game sales in places like Gamestop and other major retailers, they still make deals like this with them?

Both Bravely Default and Dragon Quest 7 had stuff like this.

I think this is the first pre-order DLC I've seen for a 3DS game. Does anyone know of a game that had something similar to this?

I think this is the first pre-order DLC I've seen for a 3DS game. Does anyone know of a game that had something similar to this?

Bravely Default and Dragon Quest 7. Dragon Quest 7 is actually extremely similar because the two retailers that offered pre-order DLC are the same two retailers offering pre-order DLC for SMT4.

Esura

Banned
image.php

Hey, I know the person who drew that pic...

Welp, gotta decide now whether Amazon discount or GameStop...

Oh, you do? Tell that person his work is awesome and I hope he do more! Good Neptunia work is rare....sniff....

zroid

Banned
It's a tough pill to swallow that this sort of thing has transitioned to Nintendo platforms as well. :(

Was inevitable.

It still wouldn't be a deciding factor on where I preordered the game, but at least that one doesn't look like a Golden Shower Curtain.

on the other hand it probably should have been white and red so canadians can feel patriotic.

cjkeats

You're right on the white and red. Would've looked great against the dark dingy backgrounds. Looks kinda dumb with the pants though. Reminds me of Shepard in ME3.
But still, it looks kilometers better than the GS one.

KarmaCow

Does each piece of armour have stats or are there cosmetic only items? Darksiders 2's dlc armour kinda breaks the early part of the game and unfortunately it looked pretty good too.

KarmaCow

Huh, I didn't notice his power glove until now.
Wonder why I didn't notice it on the Gamestop costume.

It's part of the character, not the armour.

Each piece of equipment has stats and resistances, but we don't know yet if any of the pre-order stuff is any better than the basic starting equipment.

Ha I keep forgetting this isn't out in Japan yet.

I don't know if I should I feel good about the pre-order armour probably being instantly outclassed if it looks good though.

Ha I keep forgetting this isn't out in Japan yet.

I don't know if I should I feel good about the pre-order armour probably being instantly outclassed if it looks good though.

Well, the armor models are already in the game, so these won't be the only hoodie/shower curtains you come across.

graywolf323

even though it's just a crappy outfit I don't like that Atlus is starting to have retailer exclusive preorder dlc...

seems like another step down that slippery slope they've been on

It should be noted that the amazon costume is only showing up on amazon.ca right now.

That's...not too bad. The pants don't quite match with it, but that's a lot better than the first. Surprised there's not a big tacky "EB" on there somewhere.

The pants are a different equipment slot.

randomkid

How does DLC work on 3DS anyways, is it a code you can trade or sell?

Someone actually paid $50 for my Ni no Kuni Wizard's Edition DLC, I would be happy to sell off anything Amazon gives me to even further subsidize the premium price heh.

Soriku

It should be noted that the amazon costume is only showing up on amazon.ca right now.

Speaking of Amazon.ca, it seems like a bunch of SMT games shot up the charts just recently (probably because of SMT IV) like Persona 3 FES and 4, both Raidou games, and Nocturne. Then of course SMT IV is up there.

Canadians got good taste.

Btw, who designs these costumes lol.

randomkid

Haha I can't tell if people are being serious with the costume love, you guys are really gonna wander around Shin Megami Tensei 4 rocking 15 corporate logos? Maybe I've been on media blackout for the game too long ... doesn't this seem a little, erm, out of place?

On second thought, please don't answer. I don't need to find out that SMT4 has Jack Frost hammer pants DLC or something, and I would also like this Amazon Dot Com duster to retain its value when it gets traded.

Soriku

That Amazon one is so shameless.

Those arrows are all over the place. I don't care though, looks awesome lol.

Haha I can't tell if people are being serious with the costume love, you guys are really gonna wander around Shin Megami Tensei 4 rocking 15 corporate logos? Maybe I've been on media blackout for the game too long ... doesn't this seem a little, erm, out of place?

On second thought, please don't answer. I don't need to find out that SMT4 has Jack Frost hammer pants DLC or something, and I would also like this Amazon Dot Com duster to retain its value when it gets traded.

I think there's a certain charm in wearing a costume that has a retailer's logo/touch in a game, and doubly so in a post-apocalyptic world.

Top Bottom