• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

I chickened out after writing out a good chunk of an idea. Part of me wants it to be stolen so it can be released, another part wants credit lol.

So what are our rights if we do post a detailed description on a forum and something that heavily borrows ideas from it comes to fruition elsewhere?

A videogame idea I have is an open world Tokyo Jungle like game where you pick an era, a geological location and finally a dinosaur from that era and area. You start as a hatchling and you work your way through a dynamic checklist of sorts that shape your life. Unlike Tokyo Jungle, you're not racing the clock to fill a quickly depleting hunger meter. The day/night cycle would be longer and milestones you don't reach will just shape your next cycle and not lead to a game over. You could only eat 8 out of 10 plants? You're not going to die of starvation but will just appear a bit leaner and less attractive to a mate by time the mating checklist cycle starts. Fail to get a mate? Not game over. Etc.

I've helped fund a game via kickstarter called Saurian because it was the closest thing to this idea. Wish I had a gaming PC.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, Saurian was the first I thought of when reading about your idea. But as I read on it wasn't that similar anymore.

Honestly, I don't want to share my ideas. I think I have a really cool world idea. The story isn't quite in place, but right now I'm just playing around with the universe.

But I worry that if share stuff, some lurker may pick it up and use it before I do. I should sit down and write one of these days.

Heh, Saurian was the first I thought of when reading about your idea. But as I read on it wasn't that similar anymore.

Honestly, I don't want to share my ideas. I think I have a really cool world idea. The story isn't quite in place, but right now I'm just playing around with the universe.

But I worry that if share stuff, some lurker may pick it up and use it before I do. I should sit down and write one of these days.

Exactly. Before deleting everything I wrote about my idea, I started with "I'll start by sharing this throwaway idea because I won't use it" and after adding more and more context to help sell my idea, I thought "nah, I wanna make this now" haha.

Back to Jurassic, I will re-share my JP4 idea. I have searched for my original post of it so many times on imdb's boards (including once more when they announced its closure) to no avail. I just wanted to see the date and my initial wording. Really, all I had was the double opening and basic plot but I always thought it was neat and within Crichton-berg territory.

Basically started with a rich, central American family playing host to business partners where they eventually end up outside to show off their captive dinosaurs to woe them into a deal of some sort. The animals (raptors) aren't properly cared for nor are they properly secured so the agitated animals escape and attack, even through the house. The man of the house utters his final words "call... Sarah..."

Cut to the Serengeti with Sarah Harding studying lions from a tree, falling and having to outrun them as her African partner swoops up along side her in a jeep where she jumps in to safety. She's told of an urgent phone call. She calls back and finds out what happened (or doesn't and shows up to the scene I forget). Turns out, the family is dead except for their young adult son and a tranq-weilding bodyguard and his crew (who weren't at the scene during the attack... the son was and did witness the carnage before security arrived). The son wants to take the animals back to one of the islands because if the government finds out, shit's going down, he loses the family business etc but turns out the govnt eventually does find out (or was it one of the business partner's pmc groups?) and are lead to the island where both parties have each other and their environment to contend with.

I think the business was in the genetics department with a promise of successful reverse engineering or something. They didn't want to just kill the dinos and I forget why haha.

Snaku

Banned
Thought I'd lost these photos years ago! These were taken on a trip my family took to Universal Studios Orlando in October 1993. They had created a behind the scenes exhibit filled with props from the film, including the sick Triceratops animatronic. I know I took more pictures than this, but these are the only three that have survived the decades.

522687146.197670hsrcw.jpg

522687370.035153n8ooi.jpg

522687433.634214xzpgd.jpg

Thought I'd lost these photos years ago! These were taken on a trip my family took to Universal Studios Orlando in October 1993. They had created a behind the scenes exhibit filled with props from the film, including the sick Triceratops animatronic. I know I took more pictures than this, but these are the only three that have survived the decades.
What a cool memory. Thanks for sharing.

It was posted before it was meant to be live, but now it's official: Chronicle Collectibles have an official limited edition replica of John Hammond's amber cane from Jurassic Park:

Celebrate the legacy of Jurassic Park by bringing home a piece of history with this exclusive limited edition 1:1 prop replica of John Hammond’s Amber Cane, cast from an original film prop with an expertly crafted finish. Special Jurassic Park logo plaque, hanger clip, and wall mount hardware included.

It's an exclusive to web store Paradise Collectibles: https://www.paradisecollect.com/jurassic-park-john-hammond-cane/

Jawmuncher

One thing i've noticed from the replica walking sticks is that they always seem way too bright compared to the one in the film.

One thing i've noticed from the replica walking sticks is that they always seem way too bright compared to the one in the film.

The biggest issue is there were 2 or 3 different canes on screen with slight variation IIRC - and the lighting plus color correction made them look a pinch darker. That said, this one is the prototype and the final is still being tweaked - however, I have held the original in my hands, and this color is pretty spot on.

Jawmuncher

The biggest issue is there were 2 or 3 different canes on screen with slight variation IIRC - and the lighting plus color correction made them look a pinch darker. That said, this one is the prototype and the final is still being tweaked - however, I have held the original in my hands, and this color is pretty spot on.

Oh ok. That's pretty cool then.

I want that Raptor soooo much, but it's out of my price range.

Also, I wish they would retcon the JW raptors to have the general shape and skin pattern of the JP raptors. So much leaner and meaner, but also look more believable in terms of form factor.

Trailer pls

Hearing it will be officially attached to The Last Jedi, but debut online sooner.

Not sure if we will get some form of a video tease sooner - if we do, around NYCC sounds fair.

Slightly off topic, but there's a game call Prehistoric Kingdom. It's basically a spiritual sequel to Jurassic Park Operation Genesis. You build you own dinosaur park. Pre-Alpha Demo is being released on Steam tomorrow. I figured anyone who likes the concept of running a dinosaur theme park would love it.

Maybe someone can start a thread about it on gaming side as well.

demoreleasehop0i.png

Jawmuncher

Slightly off topic, but there's a game call Prehistoric Kingdom. It's basically a spiritual sequel to Jurassic Park Operation Genesis. You build you own dinosaur park. Pre-Alpha Demo is being released on Steam tomorrow. I figured anyone who likes the concept of running a dinosaur theme park would love it.

demoreleasehop0i.png

Oh sweet I'll try it out and make a thread probably

strafer

demoreleasehop0i.png

Trying to cash in on the Fallen Kingdom name huh. :p

Will try out.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

demoreleasehop0i.png

Bad timing... Jurassuc World: Evolution just got announced. I am SO there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWagBjDMwTU

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
So park building game Jurassic World: Evolution was just announced for Xbox. Mesozoica and Prehistoric Kingdom are meeting some steep competition, haha.

Glorious times!

Jawmuncher

Crazy we're getting so many Dinosaur park building games.
Now we just need a third person or first person game of some kind now.

https://www.paradisecollect.com/crashbaby-raptors/

Omgggg I haven't seen this one before!! I want it :x

Speaking of Baby Raptors

Something that has ALWAYS bothered me about Jurassic Park, I VIVIDLY remember when I saw it in theaters that there was a sequence involving a young raptor in between the hatching sequence and the feeding time at the raptor pen sequence. I think it was even in a coloring book for the movie too, but there is like... there's no scene. It doesn't exist. It's not a deleted scene, it's not an alternate cut, there's just nothing that I've ever been able to find about it online. Where did that scene in my brain come from? Is it in the book and I just imagined it really hard and somehow got my wires mixed up and just assumed it was in the movie?

Speaking of Baby Raptors

Something that has ALWAYS bothered me about Jurassic Park, I VIVIDLY remember when I saw it in theaters that there was a sequence involving a young raptor in between the hatching sequence and the feeding time at the raptor pen sequence. I think it was even in a coloring book for the movie too, but there is like... there's no scene. It doesn't exist. It's not a deleted scene, it's not an alternate cut, there's just nothing that I've ever been able to find about it online. Where did that scene in my brain come from? Is it in the book and I just imagined it really hard and somehow got my wires mixed up and just assumed it was in the movie?

Yeah, you're likely remembering a sequence from the novel and somehow mentally inserted it into the movie. There's a young raptor that plays a role in the novel.

Okay, this was fucking brutal, would love to see this in the movie.

Great that they got the sounds right too.

I'm sold.

PgCW2wy.gif

My first worry when I started the trailer was I didn't think they would want dinosaurs eating people in the game.

My worries were immediately put to rest.

Top Bottom