• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

The name Indoraptor really bugs me... mainly because it makes no sense. Indominus Rex meant "Untamable King"... Indoraptor would mean "Thief from India". Er. What?

#TeamDiabloraptor

You don't see how it would imply a raptor (sized) indominus hybrid?

Yep, that's almost 100% what it is.

You don't see how it would imply a raptor (sized) indominus hybrid?
Yep, that's almost 100% what it is.

giphy.gif

lol, didn't make that connection at all.

God, that would be so stupid if that's what they were going for, but I guess I can't expect them to be bothered to make any sort of sense with their root words.

I guess it sounds better than "Indomiraptor" though? Even still, it seems like a pretty bland name if that's what they're trying to evoke. It simultaneously sounds less interesting and scary than both Velociraptor and Indominus Rex.

The name Indoraptor really bugs me... mainly because it makes no sense. Indominus Rex meant "Untamable King"... Indoraptor would mean "Thief from India". Er. What?

Yeah, that's exactly how I was reading it, hence my confusion (and why I jumped to Indosuchus, where the meaning actually is intentional, lol).

It was probably Junior Rex who was killed by Spino, right?

I know in the books the animals were engineered to grow quickly, but even still, Jr. being full-sized in 4 years seems like a stretch. It was probably just another Rex. (honestly though, I doubt anyone put much thought into it)

Like, when it comes to branding and marketing, I get calling back to the Indominus Rex... but I dunno, there has to be a better name than THAT.

Maybe Indomiraptor? Not sure if that makes much more sense either, though.

It was probably Junior Rex who was killed by Spino, right?

Depends who you ask.

IIRC, the current unofficial official canon is it was A young rex but not THE young rex. I don't think we'll know for certain, unless Trevorrow and co take interesting in supplying an official answer for some reason.

I heard somewhere that it was simply another Rex on a different part of the island. The reason that we didn't see the Spino in Lost World is because the movie took place outside of its territory.

Well, what's interesting now is Jurassic Park 3 takes place about 4 years after Masrani Global took control of InGen, and is the first year of the Nublar cleanup. I'd like to think the Spino was a new InGen creation, in prep for a potential Jurassic World attraction.

They likely weren't at a point of containing a large carnivorous dinosaur at that point, so they just dumped it on Sorna.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Makes more sense the the territory explanation, since the Spinos territory would be right next to the Raptors, a place we saw in Lost World.

Well, what's interesting now is Jurassic Park 3 takes place about 4 years after Masrani Global took control of InGen, and is the first year of the Nublar cleanup. I'd like to think the Spino was a new InGen creation, in prep for a potential Jurassic World attraction.

They likely weren't at a point of containing a large carnivorous dinosaur at that point, so they just dumped it on Sorna.

Grant's exchange with Billy explicitly supports this theory.

Grant: Spinosaurus aegypticus.
Billy: I don't remember that on InGen's list.
Grant: Because it wasn't on their list and that makes me wonder what else they were up to.

I'd imagine Masrani/InGen's development on Nublar was still pretty secret at the time too.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Makes a lot of sense. I wonder if that was even part of the plan in the story of the franchise? Ah well, it fits in nicely.

DonMigs85

I heard somewhere that it was simply another Rex on a different part of the island. The reason that we didn't see the Spino in Lost World is because the movie took place outside of its territory.

Now I'm wondering if all these Rexes save Junior were cloned from different DNA sources.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I wish they'd cut it with this hybrid nonsense. It worked once, but I don't want more. I want real dinosaurs. Or as real as can be expected, but you know what I mean. No cooked up dinos.

I wish they'd cut it with this hybrid nonsense. It worked once, but I don't want more. I want real dinosaurs. Or as real as can be expected, but you know what I mean. No cooked up dinos.

I mean technically every single dino in the franchise is a cooked up hybrid.

Yes, I know. :p

Yeah, same here. I mean, I can get from a business point of view why they feel the need to continue with hybrids, and in all honesty if it was a different dinosaur franchise I'd be excited to see it. But this is Jurassic Park, it should be about dinosaurs, not invented monsters.

Sometimes I hate that JP is the only dinosaur franchise. We should be able to get all kinds of different dinosaur movies, not just have to wait for a new Jurassic Park movie. I want creepy dinosaur horror movies but that isn't JP either and I wouldn't want it to be.

Sometimes I hate that JP is the only dinosaur franchise.

This. This right here. And not even really because I want more kinds of dinosaur movies (though I'd absolutely be down, especially for a well-made horror-driven one, in line with the original Alien). But because so many people want Jurassic Park to do completely random shit because it's the only major dinosaur IP. I die inside whenever I hear people say "I just want more dumb dino-on-dino action" and how much they love Jurassic World specifically because of it, because that's fundamentally not what Jurassic Park was about, and what I want is more... ya know... Jurassic Park.

DonMigs85

This. This right here. And not even really because I want more kinds of dinosaur movies (though I'd absolutely be down, especially for a well-made horror-driven one, in line with the original Alien). But because so many people want Jurassic Park to do completely random shit because it's the only major dinosaur IP. I die inside whenever I hear people say "I just want more dumb dino-on-dino action" and how much they love Jurassic World specifically because of it, because that's fundamentally not what Jurassic Park was about, and what I want is more... ya know... Jurassic Park.

Crichton is rolling in his grave

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I know the dinos are theme park monsters, but everything in Jurassic Park was believable in the context of what we knew at the time. It makes sense to continue those designs in the same universe. The dilos frill and spitting was made up, sure, but we could also say it was a possibility since there is so much we don't know, and never will know about dinosaurs.

What they're doing now however, is very different. They're not making some creative decisions to known dinosaurs, they're cooking up shit that never existed in order to create movie monsters. One time is justifiable from the story they were telling. Twice is a pattern and just makes me think they don't believe real dinosaurs are good enough for a dinosaur movie. Which is ridiculous.

There is so much oportunity here to do some amazing things. With the advancements 20 years of gene technology would have brought, they could create more correct dinosaurs. Spearheaded new knowledge. Made them awesome, and make all the feather haters realize how wrong they are.

But yeah, I have to agree with how sad it is we only have one dinosaur franchise. It's downright criminal.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am a bit tired of the stuff, but its even in the book why they dont make true and real dinosaurs with feathers.
Cause they dont care about real dinosaurs at InGen, they are cooking up what people expect.

And all that hybrid shit makes it even more clear.

Amalthea

Banned
There should be some kind of a Transformers-level dino-franchise, but since there isn't they try to bring Jurassic Park down to that level.

I know the dinos are theme park monsters, but everything in Jurassic Park was believable in the context of what we knew at the time. It makes sense to continue those designs in the same universe. The dilos frill and spitting was made up, sure, but we could also say it was a possibility since there is so much we don't know, and never will know about dinosaurs.

What they're doing now however, is very different. They're not making some creative decisions to known dinosaurs, they're cooking up shit that never existed in order to create movie monsters. One time is justifiable from the story they were telling. Twice is a pattern and just makes me think they don't believe real dinosaurs are good enough for a dinosaur movie. Which is ridiculous.

There is so much oportunity here to do some amazing things. With the advancements 20 years of gene technology would have brought, they could create more correct dinosaurs. Spearheaded new knowledge. Made them awesome, and make all the feather haters realize how wrong they are.

But yeah, I have to agree with how sad it is we only have one dinosaur franchise. It's downright criminal.

Firstly, I do agree with you in many parts, particularly in that I'm not thrilled at the idea of continued straight up fully fictionalized monsters. My initial response was largely in jest. :p

It is true though the differences are contextualized within the series, and even beyond that have always been a part of the franchise's DNA. The original Jurassic Park did generally strive for a level of accuracy that was far beyond its predecessors, but it was never exactly slavish in regards to absolute accuracy. I mean, the Velociraptors literally are Deinonychus renamed to sound more intimidating, and while large amounts of research were done into Deinonychus by Crichton and the filmmakers, their level of intelligence (which the franchise has presented as being internally accurate to and well-known aspect of the original species, not just something the scientists cooked up or a recent discovery by the park staff) is, and always has been, quite fictional. So I don't necessarily believe the franchise should aggressively pursue total accuracy to life.

That said, I'm definitely not for stagnation in accuracy or worse, net regressions, both of which I feel have occurred in some way or another throughout the franchise, and it's frustrating to see each film less concerned with it, when one of the driving impetuses of the original film was to bring audiences the most believable dinosaurs they've ever seen on screen. So while I don't believe accuracy should be the end-all, be-all for the franchise, I do believe it's something they need to do a much better job of working on. It's frustrating when, relative to the time each was created, Jurassic World is a big step back in accurate representations of these animals. And I do believe that focusing too much on purely fictionalized creatures creates a further divide from one of the franchise's original purposes and what it has become. It was a reasonably logical story progression once, but it shouldn't become the core focus of the story going forwards.

I actually think it would be an interesting progression to make the divide a much more central story element. It was lightly touched on in both Jurassic Park III ("theme park monsters" and "real scientists") and Jurassic World (Wu's speech on park attendee expectations trumping accuracy), but making it a core focus of a story would open up interesting opportunities. For instance, across both the novel and film canon there is the idea of InGen having multiple "versions" of each genome existing, with varying degrees of accuracy and hybridization (the current versions in the first novel being 3.0). Before we knew much about Jurassic World I thought it would be interesting to explore both Jurassic Park style (3.0) raptors and smaller, feathered raptors simultaneously being bred by InGen and having major roles on screen. This allows the classic, iconic versions to exist while also finally giving audiences a taste of the real deal. They wouldn't even have to be InGen creations either. InGen's been breeding dinosaurs for nearly three decades now, it makes sense that by this point competitors (BioSyn finally, perhaps?) would have cracked the process and began developing their own animals by now. You could easily have a competing company producing true-to-life creatures as an answer to InGen's heavily altered beasties.

Also, it definitely should be said that, in regards to Fallen Kingdom, we don't actually know how any hybrids would be utilized in the story. Perhaps they may be done in such a way that any fears and gripes may be unfounded. That said, it's certainly not impossible that they do overly focus on such creatures, but until we know for sure it may still be appropriate to hope for the best.

There should be some kind of a Transformers-level dino-franchise, but since there isn't they try to bring Jurassic Park down to that level.

This is why Universal should just find a way to acquire Dino Riders. That way they can have their stupid, over the top dinosaur movies, and dinosaur films in the spirit of Jurassic Park.

I wonder if Disney ever considered doing a Turok movie. I always thought it was random they bought the game rights, and apparently there was a live action movie in development around the time of the 2008 game.

Jawmuncher

I wonder if Disney ever considered doing a Turok movie. I always thought it was random they bought the game rights, and apparently there was a live action movie in development around the time of the 2008 game.

That was the plan. Game and a movie but it never went through for whatever reason. I wonder how things should've went if they had.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of the one-dino thing...

I remember being excited with Terra Nova. Then found out it was like The Walking Dead, where human drama makes up 98% of the shown and you might see a zombie/dino near the end. Such disapoint...

strafer

I remember being excited with Terra Nova. Then found out it was like The Walking Dead, where human drama makes up 98% of the shown and you might see a zombie/dino near the end. Such disapoint...

Hey man, I miss that show. :(

Human drama is fine.

The human drama they chose was shit, though. That show could have been so much better...

I wish HBO would pick up a dino show.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Human drama is fine.

The human drama they chose was shit, though. That show could have been so much better...

I wish HBO would pick up a dino show.

I like a nice drama-monster balance. I felt like they wanted to do something like Walking Dead... but with dinosaurs!! Thing is, they also blew their budget. It COULD have been better, with an extended budget and different network.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
The Dinosaur Lords would be an awesome universe for a new HBO show, provided they got the budget for it. If not, new movie series. Knights riding dinos to war, plus all the sex. What's not to love?

First book was so so, but I loved the second, and really hyped for the third coming next month.

The human drama was straight up corny-ass hot garbage. Tonally Terra Nova was weird as fuck. It had an ultra-campy "family friendly" bend throughout that was almost Disney Channel-esque, despite being TV-14, which made me wonder just who the show was actually for. And by the end it seemed like they were trying way too hard to channel Lost with stuff like the old-ass boat reveal and it just wasn't working.

So, Frank Marshall just confirmed Fallen Kingdom will feature a volcano.

I kinda wonder if he thought it was already announced... :lol

Of course a volcano. I beat it'll feature cavemen, too.

The Dinosaur Lords would be an awesome universe for a new HBO show, provided they got the budget for it. If not, new movie series. Knights riding dinos to war, plus all the sex. What's not to love?

First book was so so, but I loved the second, and really hyped for the third coming next month.

Shit, the 3rd one is coming? I haven't finished the first one.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, the 3rd one is coming? I haven't finished the first one.

Coming in august. He's been releasing them annually. What happens after the third one is anyone's guess though. Apparently he has more planned, but whether or not they get published depends on how well the first trilogy sells.

Coming in august. He's been releasing them annually. What happens after the third one is anyone's guess though. Apparently he has more planned, but whether or not they get published depends on how well the first trilogy sells.

I actually had been writing my own story with dinosaurs and knights for a bit, but I stopped when I found out this series exists. I was so disappointed that someone already had the idea.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I actually had been writing my own story with dinosaurs and knights for a bit, but I stopped when I found out this series exists. I was so disappointed that someone already had the idea.

Like one such story is enough! I would very much like you to continue writing. We need more, not less dinosaur fiction.

Don't let that stop you!! The core idea may be similar but the execution will be unique. It's probably impossible to have a completely unique idea anymore, everything can be "like" something else, so stop giving a fuck and write your idea! I'm sure they're different enough.

I'm not saying you should just do it, but you should probably just do it. ;)

Something looks off with Pratt. Howard looks fantastic though.
Looks like he's missing his usual stubble and he doesn't seem as big as he was in JW or the Guardians movies. I'm sure the wet clothes isn't helping him to not look like a limp noodle either.

Boooo @ another hybrid. I'll echo the sentiments that we need more dinosaur franchises because all this shit getting shoved into Jurassic Park sucks.

My only hope for FK is the hybrid raptors are played for scares and at least look unique and not just shrunken down I-rexes. I'll be cool if they rip off TLW light gun game and have a sequence of the stalking the protags with camo skin and bug eyes of the carnos :p

My only hope for FK is the hybrid raptors are played for scares and at least look unique and not just shrunken down I-rexes. I'll be cool if they rip off TLW light gun game and have a sequence of the stalking the protags with camo skin and bug eyes of the carnos :p
It took me until reading this post to finally put two and two together and realize that part of the game was lifted from the novel.

Like one such story is enough! I would very much like you to continue writing. We need more, not less dinosaur fiction.

Don't let that stop you!! The core idea may be similar but the execution will be unique. It's probably impossible to have a completely unique idea anymore, everything can be "like" something else, so stop giving a fuck and write your idea! I'm sure they're different enough.

I wanted to see if I could get it published.

Besides feeling that the idea has already been done, I ran into a few problems I couldn't solve.

For example, my story is also fantasy, and I couldn't figure out how to name the dinosaurs without going by their normal names. If I do give them fantasy names, people might not know what kind of dinosaur it is. I know Victory Milan overcame that problem with the book of true names. So he got around that problem.

I'm also struggling with 2 different story ideas. I have some of the lore already written, but the 2 different ideas take place in very different times, meaning I can't implement some of the cool ideas together.

- The first idea is sort of about the raise of humans in the mainland. Humans evolved in an land mass that split off from the mainland, where most of the large dinosaurs have died allowing humanity to raise. A land bridge opens up, and people a fighting to get to the mainland, while a T.rex crosses the land bridge into the humans' domain. He's sort of the dragon of the story terrorizing the people against the backdrop of multiple kingdoms fighting among each other. The problem with this story is that I won't be able to use too many cool large dinosaurs, and only rely on 1 T.rex.
- Second idea is that people have already established life on the mainland for 1000s of years, but they're still struggling to survive with all the dinosaurs roaming around. All while people are killing themselves and each other. This story I haven't even figured out how most of the plot goes, but I have more freedom with dinosaurs. I have ideas for nomads that live on the backs of giant sauropods and they go where the sauropods go. I also had an idea of heavily walled villages, but I felt like it was too much Attack on Titan. I had the concept before I even saw or read the manga.

The entire story is supposed to be more semi-realistic in that you won't see people taming 10+ ton herbivores no matter how "friendly" they can be. Definitely no battle carnivore mounts either.

Top Bottom