• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

I've been toying with a dinosaur/fantasy universe myself, both for just creating art in, writing stories (should I ever find time) or for a tabletop RPG universe, and i know oh so well what you mean. I feel like just naming them after their correct names sounds wrong for a fantasy world. I've toyed with just dropping the "saurus" or "tops" part of of names, changing a letter here and there, and just making the names different, yet familiar enough that they will be recognizable.

I think both your ideas could be a good foundation, but I'm leaning towards the second. Because I love dinosaurs and just want as much of them as possible. Done right, the roaming T-Rex could make for a lot of good tension though.

I love the idea about people live on sauropods. That's an image I've had in my head since I taped cardboard boxes on the backs of my dinosaurs and put G.I. Joes in them. And don't worry about walled villages, that's not something Attack on Titan has any kind of ownership over. People walled their villages in. By this logic, I could say Attack on Titan ripped from Asterix since the gauls had a big wall around their village. It's just common sense to wall yourself in when there are dangers out there. And the bigger the danger, the bigger the wall.

bengraven

Speaking of the one Dino deal. As a fan of dinosaur movies and books, I've actually thought about this a lot.

And as a writer who would love to come up with a new dinosaur franchise at some point again, i've actually been confronted with these issues and have actually tried to stay away from doing dinosaur books for that very same reason. I like to believe that I'm actually a very creative person and I actually have about three or four large universes that I've created whether they be sci-fi fantasy or even a fantasy western. There's nothing I would love to do more than to be able to create a new dinosaur franchise and/or world.

The biggest issue is either suspending disbelief and accepting that humans and dinosaurs are coexisting in this world. Or is creating a valid reason why they are able to coexist. The problem is there's only so many lost world or time travel movies you can do it before someone start copying someone else. And bringing dinosaurs to our time, into our environment, will always be compared to Jurassic Park.

I've talked about it in other threads or maybe earlier in this thread, but I actually started working on the spec script for a apocalyptic dinosaur story that the time I was calling Jurassic World but it's just basically walking dead with dinosaurs at the end of the United States. I think I was on to something but again I worry that I might be considered ripping off other people so I didn't get very far with it. But my back story...it was awesome.

I've been toying with a dinosaur/fantasy universe myself, both for just creating art in, writing stories (should I ever find time) or for a tabletop RPG universe, and i know oh so well what you mean. I feel like just naming them after their correct names sounds wrong for a fantasy world. I've toyed with just dropping the "saurus" or "tops" part of of names, changing a letter here and there, and just making the names different, yet familiar enough that they will be recognizable.

I think both your ideas could be a good foundation, but I'm leaning towards the second. Because I love dinosaurs and just want as much of them as possible. Done right, the roaming T-Rex could make for a lot of good tension though.

Hehe, maybe you can take my idea and turn it into a table top RPG.

I think the second idea is cooler in what I can do with the dinosaurs, but the overall plot structure is a mess. I wanted to do something with a vast majority of the land still unexplored, but people are already at war over territory, and how them forging their weapons to fight and survive is also what's killing the land. The first idea is so much more well fleshed out and straight forward for me.

The biggest issue is either suspending disbelief and accepting that humans and dinosaurs are coexisting in this world. Or is creating a valid reason why they are able to coexist. The problem is there's only so many lost world or time travel movies you can do it before someone start copying someone else. And bringing dinosaurs to our time, into our environment, will always be compared to Jurassic Park.

That's why I went the fantasy route. This isn't earth, but just some fantasy planet where mammals were able to evolve on a land mass that broke away.

My story is basically a mishmash of Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Fire Emblem, and a dash of giant monsters. I'm probably going to avoid magic though. I want a more realistic take on people co-existing with dinosaurs, so no people taming Triceratops and Stegosaurus. Anything bigger than a horse can't be controlled by humans. The nomad idea works because they don't control the sauropods, they just live on their backs, and life together. The nomads go where the sauropods go.

Whats your favorite Dino movies that are not Jurassic Park?

The sad truth is, there aren't any.

I guess The Land Before Time, but I don't consider it a real dinosaur movie. I know this is a weird thing to say, but being anthropomorphized takes away the appeal of them being actual dinosaurs. Them being dinosaurs doesn't really play much of a role in the movie. Whereas Jurassic Park works because they are dinosaurs.

I kind of enjoy Disney's Dinosaur as well. I like it mainly for the dinosaur designs.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There was a once a czech movie from 1955... Journey to the beginning of time. it was a movie about a bunch of friends who find a fossiled trilobite at a river and decide to travel the river down to see where he came from. And as further they travel down the river, as more they go further back into the past until they reach the time there was just one giant ocean.

https://youtu.be/gkXgLH54rkc

Its not first and foremost a dinosaur movie, but they are definitly the highlight. Loved that one as a kid.

Jawmuncher

Kind of sad the majority of Dinosaue films are SyFy fare and straight to DVD stuff. Was Carnosaur any good? I know the sequels are crap

Fuchsdh

Speaking of the one-dino thing...

I remember being excited with Terra Nova. Then found out it was like The Walking Dead, where human drama makes up 98% of the shown and you might see a zombie/dino near the end. Such disapoint...

I remember being amazed Terra Nova's dinosaurs looked absolutely worse than Jurassic Park's in every way.

EDIT: And while we're talking about adapting stuff with dinosaurs, I'm still sad we never got a good adaptation of Dinotopia. That said given how much time is spent on the hippy granola-loving happy coexistence, they might not have been able to mine a series out of it.

Can we talk about how amazing this early Jurassic World artwork by John Bell was?

g06oYqh.jpg

PjLBr8s.jpg

HMjCGE2.jpg

0fsZiu9.jpg

X28zecs.jpg

7nvfhkp.jpg

I don't know how we got what what looked like any generic citywalk over this stuff.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Can we talk about how amazing this early Jurassic World artwork by John Bell was?

I don't know how we got what what looked like any generic citywalk over this stuff.

It's pretty neat, but looks too post-modern for the early 90's. I think they just wanted to go with a realistic safari experience.

Nah, Jurassic World was too flashy, literally shiny even to be realistic. Big parts of the park are overly sterile, "futuristic", and overtly sci-fi. None of it felt believable to me beyond the blander parts of the resort, and in the real world, Disney and Universal resorts have better theming than those sections anyway (hell, Jurassic Park at the Universal parks has better theming).

They blended Jurassic's exotic jungle/safari vibe with an excessive space-like sheen and generic theme park elements. And regardless of realism, it's just not visually interesting anyway. OG Jurassic Park and those designs (and the bits from TLW) have very strong, memorable design work that's instantly recognizable.

bengraven

Fam. Seriously.

No matter how many times I watch the scene and no matter how much the Internet hates on both the movie and the fact that she's wearing heels, that "open paddock nine" scene still gives me chills and gets me even a little bit misty eyed how awesome it is.

strafer

Fam. Seriously.

No matter how many times I watch the scene and no matter how much the Internet hates on both the movie and the fact that she's wearing heels, that "open paddock nine" scene still gives me chills and gets me even a little bit misty eyed how awesome it is.

Yes it is. So much awesome.

Nah, Jurassic World was too flashy, literally shiny even to be realistic. Big parts of the park are overly sterile, "futuristic", and overtly sci-fi. None of it felt believable to me beyond the blander parts of the resort, and in the real world, Disney and Universal resorts have better theming than those sections anyway (hell, Jurassic Park at the Universal parks has better theming).

They blended Jurassic's exotic jungle/safari vibe with an excessive space-like sheen and generic theme park elements. And regardless of realism, it's just not visually interesting anyway. OG Jurassic Park and those designs (and the bits from TLW) have very strong, memorable design work that's instantly recognizable.

Tell em.

Fam. Seriously.

Honestly one of the few movies where I felt like Michael Giacchino put in the work. It's a shame the movie lets him down. Having the Jurassic Park cue first show up during a shot of the kids foot when he's on the tram was a missed opportunity. The paddock scene has everything going for it and then you see the Rex is goofy looking lmao.

strafer

I feel bad for Rexy being in that place though, being fed goats and shit. Nah man.

T-rex wants to hunt, it doesnt wanna be fed.

I just realize the T.rex being captured in a cage was in the second movie as well. Are we doing a retread of The Lost World again?

There definitely seems to be some "rhyming" in this new trilogy.

It appears we have an animal conservation theme and a story about moving animals from the island, and we know we have another character connected to Hammond in a major role and Ian returning.

I thought JW's "shininess" was on purpose and not something that'd be missed and later misunderstood. That's the damn theme of the film and it's even represented by Claire's attire. Both the park and her look/character become stripped down as nature takes over. It's not rocket science. It's such simple story telling but the audience cares more about picking it apart than recognising what it was doing.

Again, I'll throw myself back in time and act like the original shouldn't have had automatic "sleak" vehicles because it was too sterile while ignoring the theme about the power and spared no expense etc.

I thought JW's "shininess" was on purpose and not something that'd be missed and later misunderstood. That's the damn theme of the film and it's even represented by Claire's attire. Both the park and her look/character become stripped down as nature takes over. It's not rocket science. It's such simple story telling but the audience cares more about picking it apart than recognising what it was doing.

Again, I'll throw myself back in time and act like the original shouldn't have had automatic "sleak" vehicles because it was too sterile while ignoring the theme about the power and spared no expense etc.

I think you're giving far too much credit here. The idea of the design is that it's the most advanced place in the world, and they overdid the marquee elements of the design to sell that. That's why you have random nonsensical stuff like holograms and space orbs playing big parts in the movie, both as major visual elements and story beats. It's not some carefully crafted establishment of a theme, it's mining the typical elements of science fiction as a shortcut to make the park look "futuristic" and "cool", because that's what they envisioned such a park being, and as a result landed into generic sci-fi territory.

We never even see the new park become "stripped down" either, at least in the way I'm understanding you mean. The park does begin to fail and crumble, yes, but you don't see the flashy elements in specific slowly peel back or anything. The old park sort of exists in that capacity, as a piece of comparison, a foil to the new, but all of this is a bit of a reach to say that they specifically made the new park bland and visually unengaging with its sterility and generic future shininess as part of some deep theming. Of course, even if they did, you can sell those exact themes while still making the design interesting. It's entirely possible to do sterile and flashy while remaining interesting and visually striking. Because the ultimate problem was that nothing about the movie's design work for the park is ultimately memorable, and "It's dull as fuck because themes!" is a terrible excuse for that.

And of course, this all only applies the marquee elements anyway. Like I said above, once you start looking at the details and the street level elements, much of it's not even particularly consistent with the futuristic theming, and is less engaging than even real life theme parks. And no, I don't think that's intentional, to tie into some theme about how it's all only superficially advanced and they cut corners on the smaller parts and whatnot, as with the cloning process - it's just boring and inconsistent design work.

As for your second part... wait, what? Ford Explorers with bright colors bolted onto a track are too sleek and "ignore themes"? In comparison to magic space orbs and holograms? And of course ignoring that that the rest of the park (including the vehicles) feels part of a cohesive whole with memorable theming and a sense of believability. Come on man, now you're just trying way too hard.

The picture of the Rex model. I think a lot of people are assuming that because it's laying down in a crate in the picture, it will be in the movie.

I just realize the T.rex being captured in a cage was in the second movie as well. Are we doing a retread of The Lost World again?

no, I think that is the original T rex in the cage. I think they are probably moving her to a island/part of an island so it can die in peace. Its old as heck already.

Would be a touching moment kind of, finding out the OG T rex was dying of old age/the lysene deficiency some how, so they move her to an area where she wont get attacked, and just give her food till she dies.

i'd prolly cry legit

I think you're giving far too much credit here. The idea of the design is that it's the most advanced place in the world, and they overdid the marquee elements of the design to sell that. That's why you have random nonsensical stuff like holograms and space orbs playing big parts in the movie, both as major visual elements and story beats. It's not some carefully crafted establishment of a theme, it's mining the typical elements of science fiction as a shortcut to make the park look "futuristic" and "cool", because that's what they envisioned such a park being, and as a result landed into generic sci-fi territory.

We never even see the new park become "stripped down" either, at least in the way I'm understanding you mean. The park does begin to fail and crumble, yes, but you don't see the flashy elements in specific slowly peel back or anything. The old park sort of exists in that capacity, as a piece of comparison, a foil to the new, but all of this is a bit of a reach to say that they specifically made the new park bland and visually unengaging with its sterility and generic future shininess as part of some deep theming. Of course, even if they did, you can sell those exact themes while still making the design interesting. It's entirely possible to do sterile and flashy while remaining interesting and visually striking. Because the ultimate problem was that nothing about the movie's design work for the park is ultimately memorable, and "It's dull as fuck because themes!" is a terrible excuse for that.

And of course, this all only applies the marquee elements anyway. Like I said above, once you start looking at the details and the street level elements, much of it's not even particularly consistent with the futuristic theming, and is less engaging than even real life theme parks. And no, I don't think that's intentional, to tie into some theme about how it's all only superficially advanced and they cut corners on the smaller parts and whatnot, as with the cloning process - it's just boring and inconsistent design work.

As for your second part... wait, what? Ford Explorers with bright colors bolted onto a track are too sleek and "ignore themes"? In comparison to magic space orbs and holograms? And of course ignoring that that the rest of the park (including the vehicles) feels part of a cohesive whole with memorable theming and a sense of believability. Come on man, now you're just trying way too hard.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but explorers didn't start looking like JP explorers until a couple years after release... longer since concept and filming. It's quite the over-design for something on guided rails and I only say that as if I were someone with today's nitpick mentality seeing the film for the first time. By definition, yes I'm reaching lol.

Regarding JW, it's a sci-fi zoo/resort. Not quite a Disney World or Universal Studios. A more spaced out safari park with specialty animals. I'd like to imagine that in a sci-world where dinos are magically created and mixed and matched, that holograms and gyrospheres could very well exist. Besides, I liked how the hologram was used to distract the raptor at the end even if I found it hard to imagine a kid spending time interacting with it when the real thing is part of your ticket price. (Headcanon: used to help educate and ease the kids who may be a bit too afraid to see the real thing).

I don't know, I like the look.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but explorers didn't start looking like JP explorers until a couple years after release... longer since concept and filming. It's quite the over-design for something on guided rails and I only say that as if I were someone with today's nitpick mentality seeing the film for the first time. By definition, yes I'm reaching lol.

Externally they're literally just 1992 Ford Explorer XLTs with a custom bubble sunroof, mounted spotlights, and few other small flourishes. Out of those, only the sunroof is particularly special, the rest are run-of-the-mill add-ons you'd see on Jeeps and trucks, especially at the time. The internal design is more customized, with custom leather seats and interior, and of course the touch panel.

I honestly don't know what about any of that is overdesigned though, even you're trying to engage some kind of hindsight criticism. Like, what is it supposed to look like? What makes more sense to you in your 1993 state of mind? Because visually, if you gave it a normal paint job the average person wouldn't even realize it was customized from the outside. And technically, the tech to make that exact tour vehicle and powered track system existed back then - so it's entirely realistic/believable. It's literally a large scale, low-speed slot car. Epcot had Test Track just 5 years after this movie, and that track system is basically the same exact thing, but more advanced and expensive (length of track aside).

How is it comparable to this utter ridiculousness?

ZZ3087B380.jpg

Regarding JW, it's a sci-fi zoo/resort. Not quite a Disney World or Universal Studios. A more spaced out safari park with specialty animals. I'd like to imagine that in a sci-world where dinos are magically created and mixed and matched, that holograms and gyrospheres could very well exist. Besides, I liked how the hologram was used to distract the raptor at the end even if I found it hard to imagine a kid spending time interacting with it when the real thing is part of your ticket price. (Headcanon: used to help educate and ease the kids who may be a bit too afraid to see the real thing).

But the fact that it's dinosaurs aside, we already have a close analogue in the real world - Disney's Animal Kingdom, a hybrid zoo and amusement park. To clarify what I've been talking about though, think of the park as a real-world location. Imagine you're going to a tropical, volcanic island to see prehistoric beasts in massive enclosures emulating their natural habitat. Doesn't "white and blue space-like sheen" take you out of that experience as opposed to the safari/jungle expedition theming of the original park, and its use of striking colors line green and red? That's what I'm referring to when I speak about the park's theming in terms of Universal and Disney. Because when you walk into those parks, they sell you on the experience hard. Every little flourish is built to support the theme when you step into Pandora or the Wizarding World. Jurassic World fails in that department, across the board.

Taking another step back, when you talk about how you imagine such and such in a sci-fi world, the thing is, it's not supposed to be some different sci-fi world. The whole idea is "what would happen if we had the ability to make dinosaurs" and the more layers of overt science fiction the more you divorce from that and it loses any sort of grounding. Outside of the fact that dinosaurs have been cloned, it should be this world. Just like how I wouldn't expect, say, light sabers cropping up in Inception, despite the dream reading tech being pure fiction, as it would shatter the illusion, I don't expect Jurassic Park to have generic sci-fi trappings like holograms cropping up with no fan-fair, as if they're just some normal thing.

It's particularly bad given that this isn't some new IP or something - both books and all three prior movies exist in a world that is otherwise supposed to be the same as our own, only a company managed to secretly create dinosaurs. Jurassic World then creates a significant divergence from the series history, overall DNA, and visual palette. It immediately feels like the odd-one-out.

I imagine their design philosophy was to showcase the future meets the past meets the future rather than having king kong doors and rope bridges and safari hats because its probably too hamm(ond)y in their eyes.

I appreciate this retro futurism aesthetic more than the typical tiki/African/outback adventure trope.

I wouldn't hate it if that generic jungle theme is what we got, but then again, ever since Jurassic Park, every dinosaur themed park was doing or started doing that same imagery. What we got is actually unique.

Edit: I still have those images on my PS3. They made for great xmb wallpapers. I should rotate them in again.

Jerm411

So a friend and I were having this convo the other day and I'll throw the topic to you guys as I'm curious...is there any scene from the books or any conceptual ideas from wherever that you're bummed never made any of the movies....?

I'm still salty we never got the Rex river chase scene lol....

So a friend and I were having this convo the other day and I'll throw the topic to you guys as I'm curious...is there any scene from the books or any conceptual ideas from wherever that you're bummed never made any of the movies....?

I'm still salty we never got the Rex river chase scene lol....
Motorcycle chase scene from TLW. The way that played out in the moonlight in the field in my head....

Chewing through the sunroof bars and the attack in the lab with the egg from the original... It's been a while since I've read them but I hope I'm not misremembering these.

You mean the generic theme park ride?

It's fine.

Aside from the fact that it being completely generic is part of the problem, it's entirely nonsensical (literally nothing about it makes sense), visually bland, and has a sci-fi sheen ill-fitting of the franchise. The counterparts from Jurassic Park are visually striking, memorable, and make sense.

So nah, it's not.

Motorcycle chase scene from TLW. The way that played out in the moonlight in the field in my head....

Chewing through the sunroof bars and the attack in the lab with the egg from the original... It's been a while since I've read them but I hope I'm not misremembering these.

You're not misremembering. Both of those scenes are great, and I've always wanted to see both on the big screen.

The other big one is the scene from Lost World where they're in the old convenience store and have to flip the lights rapidly to see the cloaked carnos.

You're not misremembering. Both of those scenes are great, and I've always wanted to see both on the big screen.

The other big one is the scene from Lost World where they're in the old convenience store and have to flip the lights rapidly to see the cloaked carnos.

It's funny because I can play the original book scenes in my head as if they were deleted scenes of the film, but I can't quite remember when the sunroof/window scene happens and I forget the details about the lab attack and if there really was an egg involved. I should really re-read them again. You would think for books I've read more than once already that I'd have better knowledge of it.

Top Bottom