• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Er, I mean, the new Rex leak only has a detailed face, the rest is a low poly 3D print. It's an animatronic of sorts, but the detail is still DRAMATICALLY lacking in both texture and paint, plus they opted for a really weird material for the skin. It lacks the feeling of translucent layers, and that reptilian sheen.

But I think one of my biggest issues with it is it uses the fucked up JW design as base, with the anatomical errors, and different skin pattern. It just lacks character overall, which is a bummer considering what character it represents.

And if you think I'm being negative, you should hear what some of the old SWS school guys have said behind closed doors. :lol

Long story short, hopefully the hero prop has more detail/color/etc.

This.

Well shit, now I'm a bit worried. Why not use the team that's familiar with the series?

Guessing Scanlan's work on TFA and R1 caught their eye, and the Creature Shop might have been more aggressive in pursuing the deal. Star Wars and Jurassic are kind of the "big two" when you think of major Hollywood franchises with heavy practical creature effects.

I demand they bring Laura Dern back to this franchise, and I demand they do so immediately.

I mean, I'm down. Her role in JPIII was so brief, she never really got the same return Malcom and Grant got. At the very least she'll be in TLJ in a significant role, so that's cool. Just need her to join Goldblum and Neill in the MCU now.

Honestly though, I do fully expect Grant and Ellie to be in JW3/JP6 at this point (for better or worse).

Well shit, now I'm a bit worried. Why not use the team that's familiar with the series?

Cost and location. Legacy are out of LA, while Scanlans crew operate out of Pinewood Studios in London, where Fallen Kingdom shot.

Plus they realllly wanted the gig and got super competitive with their prices.

I would really love the guys who does the Apes movies though, but it's hard to motion capture a T-rex. :p

They used mocap for the Rex in JW, actually... not sure if it was the best call, TBH. Keyframes based off the anatomical muscles Rex (and other dinos) really does wonders IMO.

The Rex in JW was so goofy looking. I'll admit I was still getting a rush seeing it lay down the law on the I-Rex but upon rewatch it always bugs me how "friendly" she looks.

Well don't hold back bro! Spill the beans!

Tl;dr - they hope it's a weirdly detailed CG stand in model.

They have nothing but praise and respect for Scanlan and his crew, so they're optimistic when aniatronics are studio revealed, they'll look good. This obviously doesn't speak for the whole team, who likely have a wide range of varying opinions.

Upon further reflection, it is rather toothy.

But I don't mind the skin texturing. Looks natural to me.

I'm using my phone so if it looks worse on a larger screen, I can't tell lol.

Anyway, that book vs film thread has me close to picking it up in audio form. Anyone listen to it that way? The sample I heard seemed a bit hard to hear/follow through phone speakers but I'm hoping with headphones while I work, it's better.

Where's the game?!?!

I don't know what it is, but Rexy is just so off in JW, and this model. Something about the proportions. I feel like JW Rexy is "wider", particularly her jaws? Also, coloring in the model is a step down IMO.
___

Haven't listened to the audiobook, but it's one of those things I've been meaning to do for years and still haven't. Like getting not-shitty digital copies of the movies, lol. Still sucks that the copies that came with the original Ultimate Trilogy Blu Ray boxset were 480p (and I lost my WMP versions that came with it, which I think were actually DRM-free).

I remember really liking the Timeline audiobook, which my family listened to during a cross-country road-trip when I was pretty young. I've actually never read that one.

Jawmuncher

In JW I think the coloring was the biggest issue. She's way brighter compared to the darker brown everyone was more accustomed to.

Might as well post some of the other dinosaur leaks that are out there (click to reveal):

Stegosaurus (head animatronic)

1GXnCjV.jpg

Stegosaurus (CG Stand in)

Stygimoloch
(CG Stand in)

Triceratops (CG stand in)

So I was watching a playthrough of the most recent JP arcade game and had to share this:

https://youtu.be/j7XHrL1TZ40?t=1519

Apparently whoever made this game really liked Chloe from Uncharted. She is at the timestamp in the link as well as few other places throughout.

The dino designs in that game are such a disappointment (for Jurassic Park), but it looks like a lot of fun.

The arcade game also gave the Trex the roar from Dino Crisis

The dino designs in that game are such a disappointment (for Jurassic Park), but it looks like a lot of fun.
I played it briefly (just a dollar or two of credits) last year. It was okay; I'm not wild about the style of gun it uses, as opposed to the pistol light guns on the old Lost World game. I'd like to give it another try to get to the part with two tyrannosaurs.

But yeah the whole thing seems like the JP license was almost retrofitted to the game.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

I've managed to play all of the JP arcade games now (I think there's 4 total?) and the new one is definitely fun, but the designs are odd. Then again, in The Lost World, I wasn't too crazy about the chameleon design.

Snaku

Banned

Chronicle Collectibles 1:5 scale Rex prototype getting a paint job before it's SDCC unveiling. Seven feet of amazing. Too bad I could never afford it, nor do I have the space for it.

I do have the 1:1 scale Velociraptor bust preordered though. :)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Chronicle Collectibles 1:5 scale Rex prototype getting a paint job before it's SDCC unveiling. Seven feet of amazing. Too bad I could never afford it, nor do I have the space for it.

1:5 is wayyyyyy too big. A small little sculpture would be nice, though.

Ugh, they're using the fucking wrong reference pictures.

That isn't the original JP Rex, but a SWS sanctioned repaint based more closely on her TLW colors.

Compare:

What Chronicle is using said:

to

JP Rex said:

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Chronicle aint all that honestly. I got my 500 T-Rex break out. When I pay that much, I expect perfection. What I got was an amazing sculpt with a paint job that looks completely unfinished. The body is gppd, but thr head is terrible. Blurry paint, too bright, and details are all wrong.

Think I'm gonna have to fix it up myself. Such a shame.

Top Bottom