• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

What would be the point of introducing raptor species that are the same as the raptors we've got now. They're clearly (and personally, I think rightly) not going to try and reorient the existing dinos in their more probably phenotypes now, so I don't see how most people would even be able to tell the difference.

My Deinonychus comment was a joke, since JP raptors are just renamed Deinonychus. :p

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really starting to want to see some frathers. I've never had issues with feathers, but it wasn't until David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic toyline that I truly saw how awesome feathered dinos could be.

Demon, I enjoy your knowledge of dinosaurs. Do you also know much of the American Revolution? Ask for no real reason. I'm not prepping a dinosaur american revolution video game or anything.

No. Do Dakotaraptor or Utahraptor.
Took these pics at Yale Peabody Museum in their birdsxdinos exhibit. Immediately thought of how terrifying that Utahraptor would be on screen/in person.

20170618_155836gxou1.jpg

20170618_1558517npu2.jpg

For context, this was a mural on a wall with life-sized depictions of various "raptor" species.

This is amazing. Any scan online of it?
You know, I checked their site after visiting and didn't see it. I plan to go back with my panoramic stitching camera.

It must exist because they have a touchscreen to scroll side to side and look at and read info about each animal. Amazing stuff. The whole exhibit actually. It's actually named something to do with archeopteryx but birdsxdino is fitting lol.

Anyone here see Okja?

Bong Joon-ho has made my list of directors I'd to see take a stab at the Jurassic franchise.
Never even heard of it, just checked out a trailer. Wow, looks great.

Looks like it's on Netflix according to youtube so I'll look for it tonight.

Family friendly? I have a seven year old and two year old.

Never even heard of it, just checked out a trailer. Wow, looks great.

Looks like it's on Netflix according to youtube so I'll look for it tonight.

Family friendly? I have a seven year old and two year old.

Not suitable for a seven and two year old - has some f words, a guy beating up another guy and a scene inside the abattoir.

I'd say ten and above is suitable.

Not suitable for a seven and two year old - has some f words, a guy beating up another guy and a scene inside the abattoir.

F-words? Huh, thought it was straight up family. Been curious to see it though, and with DC's praise I'll definitely have to check it out.

commedieu

Banned
Took these pics at Yale Peabody Museum in their birdsxdinos exhibit. Immediately thought of how terrifying that Utahraptor would be on screen/in person.

For context, this was a mural on a wall with life-sized depictions of various "raptor" species.

That doesn't look very scary to me.

That doesn't look very scary to me.
You stare at him… and he just stares right back. And he slashes at you with this: a nine and a half-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, oh no… he slashes at you here or here… or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is, you are alive when they start to eat you. So, you know… try to show a little respect.

Edit: I do feel like they may have exaggerated sizes but it could also have to do with the fact they're "floating" above the actual ground. I'll have to put my 6'1" frame in there for comparison and somehow shift myself up (I don't do photoshop). Deinonychus (with the red face) should come up to my ribs/chest and Utahraptor should be roughly the same height as me?

Hopefully on screen it manages to impress but it boggles my mind how current day hollywood always manages to completely fail to meet the bar set decades before when it comes to animatronics.

I get that it's somewhat of a dying art form but the new shit at Disneyland for Avatar is impressive as fuck. I guess when they know it's for a ride or attraction that will be used for years or decades they put more effort vs something built for one movie.

For what it's worth, way back when it leaked I heard it was NOT the hero prop.

There will be a standing, full body Rex. Fingers crossed that one has more going for it, visually.

Its a new Rex, right? Not our Queen? That speciem doest have the scars.

Unless they change things (possible) for Fallen Kingdom (FK are terrible initials lol), Rexy was the only T-Rex ever on Nublar in the film canon.

What are the chances of Sorna popping up in the movie?

It's the Rex from JP & JW, scars and all.

Edit: Yeah, I was taking GAMEPROFF's word for it, but looking again they're definitely there. So never mind!

For what it's worth, way back when it leaked I heard it was NOT the hero prop.

There will be a standing, full body Rex. Fingers crossed that one has more going for it, visually.
Cool. I hope though the Rex isn't the only one getting a animatronic and that whatever new dino(s)they introduce get some love too. Would go a long way towards making them feel more real rather than CGI monsters like the I-Rex felt for most of JW.
Unless they change things (possible) for Fallen Kingdom (FK are terrible initials lol), Rexy was the only T-Rex ever on Nublar in the film canon.

What are the chances of Sorna popping up in the movie?
If we are gonna get some more WWE Dino shit in this I want Nublar rexy fucking up the three on Sorna. Eddie needs to be avenged, though it's really Vince Vaughn's fault I guess lmao.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not sure if the will be bringing Sorma into the mix again. I would love to see what happened to that island, but I am not sure we will really revisit that island.
Werent there statements, that they wanted to bring Dinosaurs to the mainland?

Not sure if the will be bringing Sorma into the mix again. I would love to see what happened to that island, but I am not sure we will really revisit that island.
Werent there statements, that they wanted to bring Dinosaurs to the mainland?

At this point another stab at dinos on the mainland is an eventuality, even if it doesn't happen here. Though I imagine it will, given the Lockwood story, but even still I don't think Sorna wouldn't necessarily be out of the running because of that.

If we are gonna get some more WWE Dino shit in this I want Nublar rexy fucking up the three on Sorna. Eddie needs to be avenged, though it's really Vince Vaughn's fault I guess lmao.

I mean, for all we know the one the Spino killed was one of them. :p

Waldini

Come on now, the team at Stan Winston Studio are talented as fuck, Stan didn't do anything different.

This new prop looks great.

People really need to let go (even if it's just a bit) of the classic that is Jurassic Park.
Hard to amaze people after those animatronics first appeared on screen.

Well ... we can now say that Rexy is in a tight situation. I wish they'd just focus on a different T-Rex this time around. Time to give good ol' Rexy her well deserved rest.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
True. That was by Legacy Effects too. What an embarrassment.

Better than the stegobaby, although that's not saying much. And honestly, none of the animatronics in JP3 made me think they were anything but rubber. So I'd say Legacy did fairly well in comparison.

Ravelle

I believe humans terrorizing a friendly pig creature and seeing them in distress is more scary to kids than some swear words and people beating up other people. It's pretty grim at the end.

Jawmuncher

Still Stand by kids needing to have less involvement in the series. No kid watches JP1, TLW, and JW and go "Wow I wish I was that kid". They all want to be the main lead. I'd compare it to something like Star Wars. No kid wanted to be Young Amazon when watching Episode 1. They like those older characters.

Only JP that has ever given something to kids was JP3. Since that kid was OP as fuck. Only time where I could see a kid going "Yo that's cool".

Curious how they're going to work kids being on an island for a extraction mission where a volcano might be blowing up. Are they gonna stow away again?

Pardon my language because I love you guys but y'all are fucking crazy regarding that T-Rex.

I'd believe the newer image was more likely a real life captured animal more than the old one which looks like a blown up toy.

NOW... if you guys are simply stating that that's the sort of charm you think is missing well then sure, I guess. But I certainly don't think one is better or worse as far as quality is concerned. Crazy talk how it's always extreme highs or lows with many on the web.

Top Bottom