• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

When do we think we think we'll hear about the next Halo project? Keeping in mind that 343i likely want a Beta 6 months before launch, I'm leaning toward hints and light info leaks November, a light statement from 343i about a 'Huge Halo year ahead' at year's end, and an official reveal come March next year. I think Halo 5's marketing kinda burned them - the Halo 5 desert trailer @ E3 2013, then the 2014 Arena multiplayer trailer, leading into the unrefined H5 Beta, was a pretty poor introduction. And this was all exacerbated further by facetious marketing material.

Alternatively, H3 Anniversary next year, announced at E3. Halo 6 year after.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
When do we think we think we'll hear about the next Halo project? Keeping in mind that 343i likely want a Beta 6 months before launch, I'm leaning toward hints and light info leaks November, a light statement from 343i about a 'Huge Halo year ahead' at year's end, and an official reveal come March next year. I think Halo 5's marketing kinda burned them - the Halo 5 desert trailer @ E3 2013, then the 2014 Arena multiplayer trailer, leading into the unrefined H5 Beta, was a pretty poor introduction. And this was all exacerbated further by facetious marketing material.

Alternatively, H3 Anniversary next year, announced at E3. Halo 6 year after.

you bumped this dead thread for that? :p

The lack of a halo 6 announcement is a bit strange. I think MS is just really trying to not announce things far in advance, even things everyone knows is coming. I expect halo 6 to be 2018, but wouldnt be to shocked (or sad) if it got an extra year. I think the most telling thing will be when we hear about the HCS plans after fall season. If they are going big with the new settings and tuning, come with exciting new partnerships (MLG!) and new competitive content (such as forge maps in the HCS!) then that tells me halo 5 still has life left in it and halo 6 may indeed be 2019. If instead there is no big push to change much and we see a continuation of the decline in HCS halo 5, then i expect them to be ramping up for 2018's halo 6.

Of course the 2018/2019 issue plays heavily into an official announcement or reveal. I think whatever year it releases it'll be shown at that e3 for the first time (HYPE), with a PR beta a month or two out before release.

If H6 is coming out next year, we'll know about it at the Game Awards at the latest, probably. Early beta worked out pretty well for them last time.

As for if it'll come out next year at all, I dunno. It's GOING to release in the holiday window, but pushing it into late 2019 feels insane to me.

wwm0nkey

If H6 is coming out next year, we'll know about it at the Game Awards at the latest, probably. Early beta worked out pretty well for them last time.

As for if it'll come out next year at all, I dunno. It's GOING to release in the holiday window, but pushing it into late 2019 feels insane to me.

Yeah I am willing to bet we are seeing it at the VGAs

god, holiday 2019 would just kill me... i can't wait that long.

[neither can the community it seems, matchmaking times are already too long :/ ]

what would 2018 be the year of, considering their exclusives? we have a semi strong line up during q1/q2? then if they are successful, build upon the greatest games LOL again and have HALO shown off in 4k to remind people about the power of the xbox one x! Make a special edition halo xbox one x for pre-orders/bundles and walah!

i agree with others. There has to be a trailer about halo 6 at VGA..

Juan

The Halo 5 weapon tuning article is up.

We're also experimenting with changing the starting loadouts for Team Arena to BR & GunFighter Magnum. Additionally, during the weapon tuning test period, Team Arena will adopt the ”Ability Tracker", which is the modified version of the Motion Tracker used in HCS Settings (this version of the tracker has reduced functionality and only displays enemies that are using Spartan Abilities or firing an un-silenced weapon).

I'm up for this, even if it lasts only one month sadly.

jem0208

That starting weapon combo sound fucking awful. Magnum and only magnum is a the way to go.
Why?

We don't know how the weapons will be turned yet so we can't really say either way.

I'm quite interested to see what the gun fighter magnum will be like as a secondary weapon.

If they make the BR not a quasi power weapon I like the loadout change. We will see what they do to it.

Offtopic: got my H3 disc from Amazon today! only $7.

The Halo 5 weapon tuning article is up.

I'm up for this, even if it lasts only one month sadly.

I like their thesis, but I think they might be too conservative with the changes. Most of the alterations to the utility toolbox basically boil down to "smaller optimal range window," and a lot of the power weapon tweak read like small nerfs. Diversifying the sandbox by, say, bringing the beam rifle into closer parity with the sniper feels... odd to me.

But hey, that's what testing is for!

Not a fan of the testing. Are that many people really complaining about the effectiveness of certain weapons outside of maybe the assault rifle? BTB's provlem is the starting loadout not the power of individual weapons. The game needs more and better maps. This just feels like wasted time and energy that could be used somewhere else.

Someone needs to translate this into Nerf/Buff from their super soft vague explanations.

Split into Nerf, Buff, and Need to See Particulars (NSP)

AR: NSP

BR: Nerf

Carbine: Nerf

DMR: Nerf

Gunfighter Magnum: Nerf

SMG: Nerf

Camo: Buff

Sword: Nerf

Beam Rifle: Nerf

Fuel Rod: Nerf

Grenade Launcher: NSP

Rail Gun: Nerf

Like I said, most all of the changes are about making the weapons fit into a smaller niche than they currently do by reducing optimal range of... uh, range, so there's a lot of defacto nerfs in there. Grenade Launcher and AR are kinda question mark-y, though.

BR starts are returning? boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Doesn't matter how they change the BR, it'll still be a burst fire weapon. Single shot weapons >

jem0208

Split into Nerf, Buff, and Need to See Particulars (NSP)

AR: NSP

BR: Nerf

Carbine: Nerf

DMR: Nerf

Gunfighter Magnum: Nerf

SMG: Nerf

Camo: Buff

Sword: Nerf

Beam Rifle: Nerf

Fuel Rod: Nerf

Grenade Launcher: NSP

Rail Gun: Nerf

Like I said, most all of the changes are about making the weapons fit into a smaller niche than they currently do by reducing optimal range of... uh, range, so there's a lot of defacto nerfs in there. Grenade Launcher and AR are kinda question mark-y, though.

To be fair, unless they were to completely change how the weapons worked what exactly could they modify other than range?

In terms of damage all the precision weapons are pretty ideally balanced already.

To be fair, unless they were to completely change how the weapons worked what exactly could they modify other than range?

In terms of damage all the precision weapons are pretty ideally balanced already.

You could alter the not-range not-damage parameters to make weapons fit better in specific odd niches, like giving the pistol a much quicker weapon switch animation to encourage using it as a power weapon backup. You could also emulate CE by making weapons have odd effects and interactions, like plasma stun or the way the AR worked with active camo.

Trup1aya

Honestly I don't care what the utility weapon looks like, just that it fits its roll properly. All of these 'nerfs' are cool with me, in theory, because they could FINALLY act to put the magnum at its proper place in the sandbox.

With the BR nerf, it's possible that the magnum and BR could end up being different, yet both serviceable as utility weapons... it might make BTB playable, and the BR less of a powerweapon in Arena...

Rate of Fire,
Clip size,
Reload times,
Swap times,

Or they could apply properties like health decay, stun, etc...

jem0208

You could alter the not-range not-damage parameters to make weapons fit better in specific odd niches, like giving the pistol a much quicker weapon switch animation to encourage using it as a power weapon backup. You could also emulate CE by making weapons have odd effects and interactions, like plasma stun or the way the AR worked with active camo.
Quick weapon change is a good idea.

I feel like CE type effects are outside the scope of a weapon tuning update though.

Rate of Fire,
Clip size,
Reload times,
Swap times,

Or they could apply properties like health decay, stun, etc...
Do most of those really need changing though? And would those changes actually have all that much impact?

The precision weapons already have a fair amount of distinction in fire rate/style. Clip size and reload times won't really have all that much effect on weapon usage unless you start going to extremes.

And as I said, adding new effects is probably outside the scope of a tuning update. Also most of weapons being changed are UNSC so those sort of effects don't really fit.

343 needs to be more creative with weapons for Halo 6. Have UNSC weapons be straightforward with some futuristic ones like the Railgun, but the Covenant/Promethean weapons could use a drastic overhaul imo.

jem0208

343 needs to be more creative with weapons for Halo 6. Have UNSC weapons be straightforward with some futuristic ones like the Railgun, but the Covenant/Promethean weapons could use a drastic overhaul imo.
Yeah, I want the old Boltshot back.

That was actually a fairly unique weapon.

Yeah, I want the old Boltshot back.

That was actually a fairly unique weapon.

Still a Shotgun though. I'm talking about weapons like the Cerebral Bore in Turok, the mining tools being turned into weapons in Dead Space, etc. They could use a similar philosophy for Forerunner Flood-clearing tools. Tools that were used to help combat Flood and have no business being a weapon, but are used as such (e.g. the Ripper in Dead Space).

There are some unique weapons already like the Needler, Spartan Laser, Sticky Detonator, etc., but I want them to keep pushing the creativity instead of familiar weapons that already exist by today's standards.

Juan

I'm quite interested to see what the gun fighter magnum will be like as a secondary weapon.

I played Halo 4 earlier today thanks to the MCC, BR & Pistol start. I actually was really surprised by how good the pistol was as a secondary weapon, since the switch animation is fairly quicker than any other weapon on Halo 4. It fires quite fast also, and have a decent bloom making it a very good utility weapon without being OP at mid-range.

It behaves closer to what I would have in mind when thinking about a pistol than the one we got in the final build of Halo 5.

If they change the gun figther magnum to be somehow closer to what the pistol was during the Halo 5 beta, I would be quite happy, and looking forward to getting this loadout (BR & gun fighter pistol) during a short period of time.

On the topic of weapon place in the sandbox, I will follow Funknown on this topic, having the UNSC weapons being straight forward, you know what you get and those are the utility weapons for any PvP games, while having the Covenant/Forerunner ones bringing the fun and somehow insane stuff for crazy experience during PvE, and why not making them power weapons for PvP.

Like, I don't know, why not having a weapon which can freeze your enemy (and I mean, literally and visually freezing), and breaking him in thousand pieces of glace and purple blood when punching their icy-body in the face?

I don't know, just go crazy with the alien weapons so I can laugh with my friends during PvE encounter, and balance the human weapons for good PvP.

Trup1aya

Quick weapon change is a good idea.

I feel like CE type effects are outside the scope of a weapon tuning update though.

Do most of those really need changing though? And would those changes actually have all that much impact?

The precision weapons already have a fair amount of distinction in fire rate/style. Clip size and reload times won't really have all that much effect on weapon usage unless you start going to extremes.

And as I said, adding new effects is probably outside the scope of a tuning update. Also most of weapons being changed are UNSC so those sort of effects don't really fit.

I mean you asked how they can differentiate seasons without simply toying with ranges.

Do they need these things specifically? No. But they are dealing with redundancy in the sandbox - and giving weapons unique characteristics is a more creative way than simply giving most weapons similar characteristics different AA and RRR to impact range.

Would it have an impact on weapon usage? Most definately. Because the decision to drop a weapon would become more interesting. Instead of the question being "is this weapon easier and more powerful than the one i have?" the question becomes "how can i use this weapons unique characteristics to sway the match and what must i sacrifice to gain this ability"

Going forward, the approach needs to be how can they give weapons their own niche, rather than ensuring that outcomes are primarily determined by the range of the weapons in use at when an engagement begins.

Trup1aya

Good to see 343 killing the game for casual players even more than they have previously. Bravo.

If anything this would help casual players because they won't be totally helpless off spawn, getting shit on by players who control the map with over powered pickups.

Not to change this interesting discussion, but what are the chances that this Atriox comic mini series will include story details that play into Halo 6, yet won't be included in the game and/or will further convolute its story?

Of course that's a rhetorical question because we all know the likely answer is:
Likely.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Haha, nice! Good work on molding the next generation

We went to an eye appointment today for first check up and when the receptionist gave him Spider-Man stickers for being good he asked if he could have halo ones instead.

So.proud.

We went to an eye appointment today for first check up and when the receptionist gave him Spider-Man stickers for being good he asked if he could have halo ones instead.

So.proud.

Damn, I would've cried.. then told Stinkles to not ruin his future with BR starts.

Not to change this interesting discussion, but what are the chances that this Atriox comic mini series will include story details that play into Halo 6, yet won't be included in the game and/or will further convolute its story?

Of course that's a rhetorical question because we all know the likely answer is:
Likely.

Going off the first issue, and the tease for the second, I doubt it. Seems to be a series of vignettes from Atriox' past, told from the perspective of other characters (ones he then kills). It's a cool idea, honestly. Execution's not bad either.

jem0208

I mean you asked how they can differentiate seasons without simply toying with ranges.

Do they need these things specifically? No. But they are dealing with redundancy in the sandbox - and giving weapons unique characteristics is a more creative way than simply giving most weapons similar characteristics different AA and RRR to impact range.

Would it have an impact on weapon usage? Most definately. Because the decision to drop a weapon would become more interesting. Instead of the question being "is this weapon easier and more powerful than the one i have?" the question becomes "how can i use this weapons unique characteristics to sway the match and what must i sacrifice to gain this ability"

Going forward, the approach needs to be how can they give weapons their own niche, rather than ensuring that outcomes are primarily determined by the range of the weapons in use at when an engagement begins.
No I was talking about this weapon tuning update in particular.

I agree with what you're saying but again I don't think creating and adding new effects is within the scope of this update.

Leyasu

Banned
god, holiday 2019 would just kill me... i can't wait that long.

[neither can the community it seems, matchmaking times are already too long :/ ]

I don't know. I get the feeling that they still experimenting with how they can make the game more destiny-like.

But I think that 2019 will be their gears year. We'll see.

Trup1aya

No I was talking about this weapon tuning update in particular.

I agree with what you're saying but again I don't think creating and adding new effects is within the scope of this update.

Yeah, creating new effects would seem to be outside of the scope of THIS update. Things like fire rate, switch speed, reload times, projectile speed, etc seem like they'd be fair game. Who knows maybe they have tweaked some of these values to achieve their goals.

wwm0nkey

Halo VR looks like it will be running on UE4, doubt Halo 6 would be moving to UE4 but it would be kinda interesting seeing as a lot of internal MS studios now use it

E92 M3

They better release a new Halo next year - most of the pros already hate playing H5. Same maps, same three gametypes; nothing has changed. The pro league is in its worst state yet. Halo 5 needs to be forgotten and 343 should knock it out of the park with H6.

wwm0nkey

They better release a new Halo next year - most of the pros already hate playing H5. Same maps, same three gametypes; nothing has changed. The pro league is in its worst state yet. Halo 5 needs to be forgotten and 343 should knock it out of the park with H6.

We are getting Halo something next year

The way I see things

Halo 6 Reveal: December at the VGAs w/Beta annoucement
Halo 6 Launch date reveal and Halo VR reveal: E3 2018
Halo 6 Release: Fall 2018

E92 M3

We are getting Halo something next year

The way I see things

Halo 6 Reveal: December at the VGAs w/Beta annoucement
Halo 6 Launch date reveal and Halo VR reveal: E3 2018
Halo 6 Release: Fall 2018

The VR thing is a gimmick to me, but looking forward to the H6 reveal.

Top Bottom