• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you deal with the fact that you will die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanashrew

Banned
I simply accept it. How I will react when that days comes, I have no clue. I'm terrified of dying and being forgotten though so I try to ignore the thought.

Chronus

i try not to think of it, think of it, and then try not to think of it
Hey, that's pretty much what I do. Although I add two extra steps between your second and third:
1 - Try not to think about it
2 - Think about it
3 - Despair at the inevitability of the thing I fear the most
4 - Get depressed
5 - Try no to think about it

Sounds about right.

Bluenoser

I remind myself that any fear of death is just irrational, as there's no difference between us dying, and a bug hitting your windshield, except for how our brains send us into a state of panic about it. Doubt the bug has a care in the world.... oh, to be a bug.

Fat4all

Banned
Hey, that's pretty much what I do. Although I add two extra steps between your second and third:
1 - Try not to think about it
2 - Think about it
3 - Despair at the inevitability of the thing I fear the most
4 - Get depressed
5 - Try no to think about it

Sounds about right.

i try not to think about what happens when I think about it

but now im thinking about it

oh god

oh god

It's okay, hopefully I'm not in too much pain leading up to it. The only thing that sucks is that you'll never be able to talk to the people you love anymore. Although I've got the feeling that you'll always want to say more and do more. You gotta enjoy every day. If you do that, you'll be alright.

Let's just hope we'll be able to see Artificial Intelligence and maybe some kind of mind-upload. Elon Musk is working on the neural lace, so we're headed in the right direction!

hatmoza

This thread in a nutshell:

1. Science bro! We are physically recycled to the biosphere -camp 1
2. Religion bro! Laws of the physical world don't apply to where we are going -camp 2

How I feel about death? Curious, afraid, sad. In my lonely days I always figured I'd die without leaving my mark on earth. When I had my first child I somehow felt a little more at peace with dying, like I survive through my offspring.

Rektash

By not really caring. You die no matter what you do. Everyone dies in the end so it's not some unique tragic fate you will encounter. There is nothing a rational mind can figure out what happens to you beyond the fact that your switch gets turned off.

My human mind won't really let me figure out more than that to any degree of certainty so I mostly ignore the issue.

I think people should spend their time trying to figure out how to deal with life rather than death. The best you can do is get as much out of life as possible because unlike death, life is on a timer.

nynt9

I don't see it as something that needs to be dealt with. It's just a part of life. The more concerning thing is that I will have to live within and increasingly deteriorating body before I die, but again, it's just how it is. You just do what you do as life happens around you.

I don't have a problem with dying. It's a very simple fact of life.
What I worry the most is my quality of life and maintaining my physical and mental capacities in my old age. If I'm at least clear minded when the time comes that would already be great,

danowat

Banned
For those people who are saying they don't think about it, or it doesn't worry them, I wonder how they'd feel if they were given 6 months to live.

I think the reason why some people can not worry or think about it, is because it's one of those far off things in the distance, I think once the realisation kicks in, the result might be different.

tumblr_muennkzH7Y1shi48to3_250.gif

Gandalf says it'll be okay.

death can be easy, don't worry too much about it. some of us won't literally even notice it, you might die in the ICU while you're unconscious, or you might end up so demented that you won't even be able to think about death. or hell, something heavy might drop on your head and you'll be gone just like that.

the hard way to die is being completely conscious and sane when it's happening, like choking on food, or having someone stab you to death or something .. just try to avoid all that.

I don't have a problem with dying. It's a very simple fact of life.
What I worry the most is my quality of life and maintaining my physical and mental capacities in my old age. If I'm at least clear minded when the time comes that would already be great,

nah man, thats exactly what you don't want. trust me i've talked to thousands of dying people.

ReBirFh

Don't think about it? I skydive monthly for two years and death is never in my mind even though as a shy person I do worry about a lot of other comparatively insignificant things.

This

I hate knowing that I could just die before achieving goals. Hate thinking even more about getting cancer, like the past three family members who've passed away have dealt with. I have the mental crises of fearing death, and a living death of cancer.

I'm sorry for your family loss. Cancer is, in many cases, a complete lottery. Take it from someone who discovered they had picked a winning ticket last year... I was fortunate in that it was detected early, I was treated quickly, and was fortunate to be given the all-clear. I will have ongoing active monitoring for the next few years to ensure that in the event it re-emerges (highly unlikely in my case, but still) it is caught early, which is very reassuring and makes me very grateful for the healthcare my country offers (I realise not everyone has such access, sadly).

Those few months of uncertainty were probably the scariest of my life, and when you have a scary health issue playing on your mind, it reveals how much of the stuff you considered to be important... really isn't. Things like the simple act of walking through the park on a sunny day, hanging out with family, listening to a favourite song or enjoying a nice meal became a whole lot more tangible to me, and although it sounds a little like a Hollywood movie cliché, my eyes had been opened to appreciate and enjoy what I have, and to live in the moment whenever I can.

sgtnosboss

Neo Member
Not trying to be too depressing but this is something that has been on my mind for a long time, I have been to treatment but it doesn't change the end game. How do other people deal with it?

I don't. Like you this is the crap the keeps me up at night sometimes

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
My hope is that in the next 40 years or so we'll be able to upload our minds in computers and live forever.

2013-06-19-Pork-Futures.jpg

He cheats though.

Yeah, that scene is all like,

"Gandalf, I'm scared, we're going to die!"
"Don't worry, Pippin, death is just another adventure."
"Really?"
"Yeah, you know, after this we respawn in the next colour. I'll be Gandalf the Taupe, how about you? You never did mention what colour you were."
"..."

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Personally, I hope to die as I've lived so far: as a massive inconvenience for all people involved.

I see people who feel some hope that they'll return to the soil, or free up some space for future generations to grow. I say, fuck future generations. They never did anything for me, and if time flowed in the opposite direction you know they'd fuck us over.

I wanna make plans in future so that when I die, my corpse gets mummified like what they did in Ancient Egypt, then gets bombarded with enough ionising radiation that it becomes dangerously radioactive for a long-ass time.

After that, eh. I'd like to be stored in one of those deep nuclear waste pits they're planning to dig in Finland or the Nevada desert, stuck in a hole along with all the spent fuel rods and waste from Chernobyl or whatever. I like the idea that my dessicated corpse would remain in some pit under the earth for centuries, actively malignant.

That's what keeps me going.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't think about it. well of course i do sometimes but i don't let it worry me much. there is nothing i can do about it so just need to focus on living my life while i can.

Eh
It'll happen
Dunno when
Dunno how
But it'll happen

Just gotta live each day
Personally I'd wanna die in my 60s x early 70s because I've worked with, volunteered at nursing homes and it ain't pretty. Not just physically, mentally but emotionally I've seen some residents have no family come at all and they get bummed out :(

McBryBry

Crosses my mind every couple of months. I push it away because the thought of not living my life scares me a lot. Just gotta keep moving.

spock

Sometimes it concerns me, other times not so much.

Personally I think our actually "being'ness" can't actually die. I don't think non-existence is a perceivable state for whatever it is that we call awareness. Not to say we will exist in the form of consciousness we do now.

I just don't try and think about it to much. Every so often I do think about it but then I just think "well I'm young, I still got probably like 60 years at minimum in me, so whatever", but usually then I start thinking about getting old (like really old) and that fucks me up even more than thinking about dying tbh.

I look forward to it. I've never died before.

I imagine that death is much like before I existed. Say, 1925. I didn't exist in 1925, so it'll probably be exactly like that.

LordOfChaos

Not being alive for billions of years never bothered me, so I console myself that it won't bother me after. In the meantime, I try to be happy, I try to make others happy, and that's about that.

Derwind

I'm at peace with it, trying to place worry or anxiety towards it helps me in no way. When my time comes, I'm sure I'll be relieved knowing there was nothing I could do to prevent it anyways.

Plus the alternative is to live forever which is legitimately terrifying to me when you unravel the implications of that because even the current state of the universe is finite.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
By listening to Circle of Life and hoping my remains are useful to some sick ass plant

I've kind of got two views on it:

First, this is the natural order, the way of things, it's as it should be (and we all know the myriad reasons why)... ie: Acceptance

Second, the simple realization that death is a metaphor really; nobody dies to themselves.

LosDaddie

Banned
Have a life insurance account to make sure my family is taken care of.

That's about all I think of death. Life is good because I've grinded hard in my career. Life doesn't stop. So you either go along, or let it pass you by.

jedezel

Neo Member
I am terrified.

I saw some people answered that it does not bother them because "you will not even realize you are dead". That's strange, because this is why death is so terrifying according to me: this is an off switch, you will not be aware of anything after that, you will not exist anymore, you will not be able to think, to feel, to realize anything.
I would gladly prefer to know that I am dead, because it would mean that something of me still exists and still is conscious of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom