• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns amiibo functions revealed; Fusion Difficulty, Fusion Suit

Metroid (Metroid Series)
Metroid Marker (tells you location of nearest Metroid)
FUSION Difficulty Mode, play in the Fusion suit (unlocked after beating game)

I get the reference

Because the Federation uses the Baby Metroid DNA as a vaccine on Samus and it forms the Fusion Suit shortly afterward

kubus

Ok first things first, I haven't played any Metroid games ever (shame on me and yes I plan on rectifying that) so sorry if this doesn't make sense or whatever. But I think the original Japanese can be interpreted in another way.

So the original Japanese is:

ゲームクリア後、ニューゲームスタート時にフュージョンスーツでプレイが可能な新な高難易度モード「FUSION」が使えるようになります。

Could be Nintendo is just wording this as vague as possible to get people to buy the amiibo. You can translate this as "After beating the game, a new high difficulty mode called "FUSION", where you can use the Fusion Suit, will be available".

MAYBE, this implies that after clearing the game you will unlock a higher difficulty mode regardless (that makes sense), and by using the amiibo, you can get a "Fusion"-version of this higher difficulty mode. So what that COULD mean is that the Fusion Suit is only accessible in the higher difficulty mode, which you have to unlock first by beating the game.

Once again, haven't played the original so if the Fusion Suit is something you should obtain during the game, then this interpretation doesn't make sense. But I checked the Metroid wiki and it says the Fusion Suit doesn't make an appearance in Metroid II, so this comes across as a fun cameo / costume with altered stats thing to me.

Edit: Hm so after reading more of the wiki the Fusion Suit doesn't sound like a cosmetic change but also something that would alter your defense, making the game harder. That would make sense to use as a new difficulty mode... I could see Nintendo locking that behind an amiibo... My interpretation might not really make sense then, so carry on :p

Wereroku

Ok first things first, I haven't played any Metroid games ever (shame on me and yes I plan on rectifying that) so sorry if this doesn't make sense or whatever. But I think the original Japanese can be interpreted in another way.

So the original Japanese is:

Could be Nintendo is just wording this as vague as possible to get people to buy the amiibo. You can translate this as "After beating the game, a new high difficulty mode called "FUSION", where you can use the Fusion Suit, will be available".

MAYBE, this implies that after clearing the game you will unlock a higher difficulty mode regardless (that makes sense), and by using the amiibo, you can get a "Fusion"-version of this higher difficulty mode. So what that COULD mean is that the Fusion Suit is only accessible in the higher difficulty mode, which you have to unlock first by beating the game.

Once again, haven't played the original so if the Fusion Suit is something you should obtain during the game, then this interpretation doesn't make sense. But I checked the Metroid wiki and it says the Fusion Suit doesn't make an appearance in Metroid II.

That is pretty much what people are arguing about. Either the Fusion mode is exclusive to the Amiibo or it just involves more work to unlock without the Amiibo.

Also as far as locking content behind an Amiibo they did do that with Splatoon 1. Some SP content and sound test stuff was exclusive wasn't it?

Nice of them to include a Fusion reference here and there, given how the plot of Fusion only takes place because of the destruction of all the Metroids on SR388. Wonder what it means. Ice weakness? Random X Parasites? Being chased by the SA-X? Just a different skin with more damage and we're expecting too much?

Whatever it is, I don't expect it to be amiibo only, but clarification would be nice.

Berordn

Also as far as locking content behind an Amiibo they did do that with Splatoon 1. Some SP content and sound test stuff was exclusive wasn't it?

The playable content Splatoon 1 was just time trials for the existing SP levels with different weapons, but it unlocked exclusive minigames and cosmetics (the appearances were unique but for them to be on par with better gear you still had to upgrade them with snails). So it was kind of a mix of both. Splatoon 2 seems to do away with everything but the cosmetics, so there's a good chance they've changed policy on that across the board.

RRockman

Banned
That sounds like a completely valid complaint. Maybe explain your issue with it or are you actually agreeing and I don't get the right read on your tone.

I agree with him and I will explain why it's a stupid thing to complain about. If it is the case that all the amiibos do is let you unlock stuff early, then having a problem with that is that same old stupid gamer machismo where "hurr durrr why should I have to work for something they get for money" when it's fair since:

It's nothing that makes the game feel incomplete

The thing that the amiibo unlocks is still in the game in someshape or form. So if you don't like the figures then you can just get it in game, without spending any extra money I might add.

It's super silly when you think about that since people were willing to complain in threads about something as small exclusive skins.

This is of course based on if the amiibos are only there to unlock it earlier. If this is not the case then yes it is a problem that we would need to grab the torches and pitchforks. I'll certainly have mine ready. I just don't see the need to freak out based on what a small site posted without a Nintendo tweet or some other official to clear it up.

And before any of you smarties want to whip out that nintendo shill stick you like so much maybe check my post and thread history.

Funny how we resort to these tactics huh? Speaks volumes about this forum.

It's silly indeed. Rapid losing respect for posters each day.

Nice of them to include a Fusion reference here and there, given how the plot of Fusion only takes place because of the destruction of all the Metroids on SR388. Wonder what it means. Ice weakness? Random X Parasites? Being chased by the SA-X? Just a different skin with more damage and we're expecting too much?

Whatever it is, I don't expect it to be amiibo only, but clarification would be nice.

I hope it makes doing the melee counter harder to do, otherwise most encounters could easilly be cheesable without that change then

Aside from that it'll most likely be the usual enemies "deal more + take less", expansion packs give you only half the amount

Unless they want to do something extra nuts with Fusion Mode where Samus' movement is restricted like it was in Metroid Fusion too or even remove all expansion packs ala Other M... please no

TheMoon

That sounds like a completely valid complaint. Maybe explain your issue with it or are you actually agreeing and I don't get the right read on your tone.

My issue is that I don't see the issue. Beating the game once to unlock a hard mode is a normal thing. Feeling forced to buy the amiibo that unlocks it right away is what I can't relate to. It's not like playing through the game is some dreadful chore you're asked to do, it's the reason you're even looking at this in the first place, isn't it?

wish the amiibos gave other suits, sound tests, concept arts aren't things that i really care and would rather have them in the game already.

this is why nobody can win here. some people want cool unlocks, others lose it as soon as they unlock anything.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I just don't see the need to freak out based on what a small site posted without a Nintendo tweet or some other official to clear it up.

Well, technically the small site that posted this is the official Japanese site for the game. But it could certainly need some clarification. Maybe the official English sites will clear it up.

Ridley327

As someone with the 2-pack on pre-order, I really do hope that this is just early access to those unlockables and not the only way to get them. That's totally not a cool thing to do to the Metroid fan base and seems like a pretty extreme about-face from recent Amiibo usage not being for anything particularly vital.

I agree with him and I will explain why it's a stupid thing to complain about. If it is the case that all the amiibos do is let you unlock stuff early, then having a problem with that is that same old stupid gamer machismo where "hurr durrr why should I have to work for something they get for money" when it's fair since:

It's nothing that makes the game feel incomplete

The thing that the amiibo unlocks is still in the game in someshape or form. So if you don't like the figures then you can just get it in game, without spending any extra money I might add.

It's super silly when you think about that since people were willing to complain in threads about something as small exclusive skins.

This is of course based on if the amiibos are only there to unlock it earlier. If this is not the case then yes it is a problem that we would need to grab the torches and pitchforks. I'll certainly have mine ready. I just don't see the need to freak out based on what a small site posted without a Nintendo tweet or some other official to clear it up.

And before any of you smarties want to whip out that nintendo shill stick you like so much maybe check my post and thread history.

It's silly indeed. Rapid losing respect for posters each day.

My issue is that I don't see the issue. Beating the game once to unlock a hard mode is a normal thing. Feeling forced to buy the amiibo that unlocks it right away is what I can't relate to. It's not like playing through the game is some dreadful chore you're asked to do, it's the reason you're even looking at this in the first place, isn't it?

Really? You don't see the issue that the developers actually now give you the choice to play hard mode from the get-go, something that some people would certainly appreciate, but you can only do so by buying the Amiibo.

That is okay in your mind because the older games lacked that feature? What utter rubbish.

Shiggy

Really? You don't see the issue that the developers actually now give you the choice to play hard mode from the get-go, something that some people would certainly appreciate, but you can only do so by buying the Amiibo.

That is okay in your mind because the older games lacked that feature? What utter rubbish.

The amiibo in this game does not unlock the hard mode before you beat the game.

Wereroku

this is why nobody can win here. some people want cool unlocks, others lose it as soon as they unlock anything.

Wait I am confused. According to the description this Amiibo doesn't even let you bypass the clear game requirement. The Fusion mode unlock is only available after the game is beaten. Same with the sound test.

a) You don't know that.

b) The people I was arguing with argued that even if it were the case they see no problem with it.

No really the translation says directly that Fusion mode and sound tests are only available after beating the game.

Ridley327

Did I miss preorders for these? I've been busy and may have missed it.

I'm pretty sure that every retailer that had them up have sold through their allotment. Amazon has yet to put theirs up, but that's because they don't put up Amiibo orders until the day of release these days.

We really need clarification soon before one of us in this thread suddenly goes crazy.

I haven't seen a Zero Suit Samus amiibo for such a long time. But my Toys R Us has like 6 Smash Bros Samus amiibos so I might get one.

TheMoon

Yea because nothing is lost here. I really don't get it. Complete challenge to unlock next challenge. This is how things work all the time?!

This ain't no Wind Waker where we already know the base game can be sleepwalked through where forcing a playthrough to unlock a harder mode would be an annoyance.

Yea because nothing is lost here. I really don't get it. Complete challenge to unlock next challenge. This is how things work all the time?!

This ain't no Wind Waker where we already know the base game can be sleepwalked through where forcing a playthrough to unlock a harder mode would be an annoyance.

That's not what is expected for now. What is expected now is the only way to unlock these, even after beating the game, is an amiibo.

You only get to experience your first playthrough once, obviously. So, if people want to play it in the harder, for them more appropriate difficulty, that should be easy to understand. That this option exists but is paywalled is an issue.

Your own personal skill level isn't relevant as to what others may consider best suited. And again, it wouldn't be made available (via Amiibo unlocking, unfortunately) if the devs agreed with you that there's no point to it.

As a 'veteran' RTS player I would've been furious if I were forced to play Starcraft 2's campaign on easy or normal, as opposed to hard and brutal, which were both available from the beginning thankfully.

Caayn

I mean, to be fair, that Samus amiibo at this point does a whole bunch of stuff across many Nintendo games. When you look at it as having bought a Samus figure and then regularly getting bonuses in games (even non-Metroid games) for doing so, it's not so bad.

Having said that, if amiibo is the only way to get a Hard Mode here, eff that noise.
Maybe, when I bought that Amiibo I wasn't fully aware that it could provide bonuses in games. I bought it because I wanted a Samus figurine. If I had known at the time that I'd support Nintendo with these bonuses I'd never have bought it at all.

Me not using the Samus Amiibo in games is my way of sending a signal that I don't agree with this practice, even if that's unbelievable small in the grand scheme.

TheMoon

You only get to experience your first playthrough once, obviously. So, if people want to play it in the harder, for them more appropriate difficulty, that should be easy to understand. That this option exists but is paywalled is an issue.

Your own personal skill level isn't relevant as to what others may consider best suited. And again, it wouldn't be made available (via Amiibo unlocking, unfortunately) if the devs agreed with you that there's no point to it.

As a 'veteran' RTS player I would've been furious if I were forced to play Starcraft 2's campaign on easy or normal, as opposed to hard and brutal, which were both available from the beginning thankfully.

I've done this with various games myself. If this were a thing the series always let you do I'd understand it to a certain extent but it's the series' standard way of doing this. Still not seeing how this is a serious issue (nevermind the bit about it very very likely not unlocking early either way).

Maybe, when I bought that Amiibo I wasn't fully aware that it could provide bonuses in games. I bought it because I wanted a Samus figurine. If I had known at the time that I'd support Nintendo with these bonuses I'd never have bought it at all.

Me not using the Samus Amiibo in games is my way of sending a signal that I don't agree with this practice, even if that's unbelievable small in the grand scheme.

You're not sending that signal anywhere, though. The only one who knows about it is you (and now us). Amiibo unlocking stuff in various games was the core pitch when they were announced and first released. What else were you expecting when you bought these if not to support Nintendo making these NFC-enabled figures of their characters?!

Nintendo is never going to know that you decided to not use an amiibo that you already purchased for their games, so it isn't even unbelievably small... it's non-existent.

Macka

Nintendo don't track Amiibo use. Your act of defiance isn't going to be known.

I'm buying the Amiibo because I want to support the game as much as I can so Nintendo believes in Metroid again, but damn.. I really hope this stuff isn't locked behind these little figurines, for one thing since I don't have an Amiibo compatible 3DS...

Toxi

Banned
Fuck Amiibo functionality.

This was bad when Metroid Prime required a different game to unlock the Fusion Suit, but at least that wasn't tied to a new difficulty. Also, fuck locking art galleries and sound tests behind that shit too.

It's telling that the only way the Nintendo diehards are justifying this is assuming the descriptions aren't accurate and that we can get that shit without the Amiibos based on... Something.
Fusion suit was also a bonus in the original Metroid Prime, but i wonder what they mean by Fusion Suit difficulty? Lower defense?

The only "weakness" the Fusion Suit had was ice before.
You took far more damage in Metroid Fusion than you did in other games.

I'm okay with Amiibo locking non-game altering stuff like armor or cosmetics but not an exclusive difficulty mode. Rather just pay it straight up like BotW than buy a amiibo like TP:HD (for the hardest difficult).

Hopefully it is like StarFox Zero where they are being vague as possible. Still a crappy tactic though cause I really wanted to buy the Metroid Amiibo. But after this I remember why I don't support this type of dlc method.

Riposte

I still remember the arguments where people would say locking content behind is good, because it added value to the dolls. Nintendo is really on some bullshit with this garbage. Worst form of DLC in the history of first party publishers.

Toxi

Banned
I'm okay with Amiibo locking non-game altering stuff like armor or cosmetics but not an exclusive difficulty mode. Rather just pay it straight up like BotW than buy a amiibo like TP:HD (for the hardest difficult).

Hopefully it is like StarFox Zero where they are being vague as possible. Still a crappy tactic though cause I really wanted to buy the Metroid Amiibo. But after this I remember why I don't support this type of dlc method.
It doesn't seem that vague. It says you get the difficulty mode by beating the game with the Amiibo. So why would you get the difficulty for beating the game without the Amiibo?

Because this is Metroid, not Metroid Prime.
What weird logic when the Fusion Suit was unlock able in Metroid Prime.

gardfish

Ugh, why are the Metroid amiibo only available in the 2-pack? I don't really feel the need for Samus, but I DO want the Metroid amiibo (separately from its in-game functionality, I just think it looks like a cool figure).

RRockman

Banned
Fuck Amiibo functionality.

This was bad when Metroid Prime required a different game to unlock the Fusion Suit, but at least that wasn't tied to a new difficulty. Also, fuck locking art galleries and sound tests behind that shit too.

It's telling that the only way the Nintendo diehards are justifying this is assuming the descriptions aren't accurate and that we can get that shit without the Amiibos based on... Something.

You took far more damage in Metroid Fusion than you did in other games.

That didn't take long did it?

Ridley327

Ugh, why are the Metroid amiibo only available in the 2-pack? I don't really feel the need for Samus, but I DO want the Metroid amiibo (separately from its in-game functionality, I just think it looks like a cool figure).

I imagine they did some sales projections for them and concluded that a two-pack was a better way to distribute them than doing solo figures. Given the price increase versus other two-packs, it's safe to say that these would have been priced like the BotW series at $16 a figure, and I think that a lot of retailers would have issues with that when they're having troubles selling the existing Samus figures from the Smash line, even at a discount.

forrest

formerly nacire
I love the fusion suit. Damn, am I gonna have to buy an amiibo to get is or will beating the game suffice?

I always see soo much love for the fusion suit and I couldn't ever wrap my head around it. Still really hate the color/design/look of it altogether. Different strokes and all that I guess!

Overall, the amiibo functionality for this one is a little underwhelming imo.

Art gallery unlocks? C'mon Tendo, you can do better!

Toxi

Banned
I always see soo much love for the fusion suit and I couldn't ever wrap my head around it. Still really hate the color/design/look of it altogether. Different strokes and all that I guess!

Overall, the amiibo functionality for this one is a little underwhelming imo.

Art gallery unlocks? C'mon Tendo, you can do better!
I don't really like the Fusion Suit design either (mainly for the baby blue color). And hopefully the Varia Suit doesn't turn it into the Varia Fusion Suit. That shit is just ugly. Go with the final orange Fusion Suit instead.
I imagine they did some sales projections for them and concluded that a two-pack was a better way to distribute them than doing solo figures. Given the price increase versus other two-packs, it's safe to say that these would have been priced like the BotW series at $16 a figure, and I think that a lot of retailers would have issues with that when they're having troubles selling the existing Samus figures from the Smash line, even at a discount.
This makes sense.

There's also the fact that the target audience is older, so an impulse buy price point is less important.

That didn't take long did it?
Sorry, would you prefer I say "people who I see defend Nintendo's decisions on a frequent basis"?

Shiggy

I assume that stuff is unlocked normally after beating the game and you get it right away with the amiibo?

No, the description on the Japanese web page explicitly states that you get these if you use the respective amiibo after beating the game.

Top Bottom