• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns amiibo functions revealed; Fusion Difficulty, Fusion Suit

i-Jest

For the new page:

The description does not hint in any capacity at the amiibo unlocking hard mode, sound test, or the gallery before you beat the game. Instead, the description on the Japanese website explicitly states that you need to beat the game to unlock these features, while using an amiibo.

Let the rush for Samus and Zero Suit Samus begin.

Vena

As for the thread in question, I suspect this will be beat game + amiibo or beat game + %completion and time.

Seems like an easy thing to cheese with amiibo.

Toxi

Banned
Was there any lore connection to MB for the Aurora Units? e.g. they were based on MB, or supercomputers were designed to be like brains and MB was just a sentient, corrupted version of one, etc.
No explicit one as far as I can recall, so their connection is entirely speculation.

It's really weird since the Aurora Units were such an important part of Corruption and they never actually explained why they all look somewhat like Mother Brain.

Normal Smash Samus will be pretty easy to find where I'm at. Don't know if I'll actually get one but the option is there.

Zero Suit Samus? Oh boy that's a tough one.

Vena

No explicit one as far as I can recall, so their connection is entirely speculation.

It's really weird since the Aurora Units were such an important part of Corruption and they never actually explained why they all look somewhat like Mother Brain.

There are files related to the Valhalla unit that appear to imply that the Aurora units are MB knock-offs based on Chozo tech crossed with Federation capabilities at the time.

Again, if memory serves.

Toxi

Banned
I think she's mentioned a few times in the Aurora Unit documentation and loosely referenced around the Valhalla incident.

It's never explicit, but its a fairly on the nose future setup.

Memory could be failing me though.
An unused log entry has the GFS Olympus crew refer to AU 242 as "Other Brain". And a trailer for Corruption shows a blueprint of an AU in a Tourian-style location.

That's it though as far as concrete details. Really weird since Corruption had so much worldbuilding detail for other things.

Vena

An unused log entry has the GFS Olympus crew refer to AU 242 as "Other Brain". And a trailer for Corruption shows a blueprint of an AU in a Tourian-style location.

That's it though as far as concrete details. Really weird since Corruption had so much worldbuilding detail for other things.

Well the Valhalla unit did indeed occupy the role of Mother Brain for Phazon when they plugged it/her in. It even introduced the same crippling weakness, so the promotional material was a tongue-in-cheek referencial spoiler to the end of Corruption.

In the case of the unit, it was unwillingly and forced in to the role but it was rather obviously an informed decision by Prime and the pirates. Which furthers the whole idea of the Aurora Units being knock-offs.

They fill the exact role of MB but are not autonomous, not nearly as capable, and are a networked system.

Also do not suffer from a crippling inferiority complex against the preferred bioengineered super weapon of the late Chozo.

Shiggy

Wait, if there is a precedent to this particular event type then Shiggy why are you pushing this so hard?

Because there's no such precedent and because there's no need to assume something when the Japanese website is absolutely clear.

I'm not adding that to the OP until Nintendo clarifies.

Star Fox Zero was in the same situation and it turned out you could unlock those features simply by playing the game.

Well, if you don't like what Nintendo is describing, feel free to ignore it. And I don't see the similarities with Star Fox Zero, where it says the following:

Touch Fox amiibo, Erwin changes to "Irwin FX".
Touching Falco's amiibo, Irwin will change to "Black Irwin".
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/amiibo/game/afxj/index.html

Again, this is explicitly stated here and leaves no need for clarification by Nintendo. It's simply what the amiibos do: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/amiibo/game/a9aj/index.html

Because there's no such precedent and because there's no need to assume something when the Japanese website is absolutely clear.

Well, if you don't like what Nintendo is describing, feel free to ignore it. And I don't see the similarities with Star Fox Zero, where it says the following:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/amiibo/game/afxj/index.html

Again, this is explicitly stated here and leaves no need for clarification by Nintendo. It's simply what the amiibos do: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/amiibo/game/a9aj/index.html
Shiggy relax. If you're right 100 percent then you're right 100 percent. It's just been a confusing day.

Mark1

Assuming it's mandatory (which it sounds like right now). Then a massive fuck you to Nintendo.

Not a fan of this practice of hiding content behind extra pay.

The only game to implement it perfectly was Smash Bros years ago. The content in both this and BoTW sound amazing, but frustrated that I have to buy much more just to get extra modes or costumes.

Fuck you Nintendo

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This page is purely about what the amiibo functionality is in the game: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/amiibo/game/a9aj/index.html

For each amiibo, they have two bullet points. The description is structured as follows (for all 4 of them):

It could also be a bad Google translation though. "ゲームクリア後" is the decisive part. And here somebody tells us what it means:

Don't take my hope away from me

Shiggy

And what a surprise, there's no surprise:

You can tap this amiibo to find out if there's a Metroid nearby. After completing the game, you can tap this amiibo to unlock Fusion mode.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/amiibo-/amiibo-details/Metroid-1239435.html

You can unlock an item to help you on your mission. After completing the game, you can tap this amiibo to unlock new content for the Gallery.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/amiibo-/amiibo-details/Samus-932507.html

You can unlock an item to help you on your mission. After completing the game, you can tap this amiibo to unlock new content for the Gallery.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/amiibo-/amiibo-details/Samus-1239436.html

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/amiibo-/amiibo-details/Zero-Suit-Samus-980850.html

Let's hope that there's still a hard mode, and that fusion mode is just that with a Fusion suit skin.

Shiggy

You really are relishing in this aren't you?

After posts like this

I'm not adding that to the OP until Nintendo clarifies.

and
Wait, if there is a precedent to this particular event type then Shiggy why are you pushing this so hard?

, yes.

Jucksalbe said:
It doesn't say anything more or less than what the Japanese site did, so there's still no confirmation if this content will be unlockable in any other way.

Look above, people were still in denial on what the Japanese website said. OP even refused to add this information because it supposedly was unclear.

After posts like this

and

, yes.

Look above, people were still in denial on what the Japanese website said. OP even refused to add this information because it supposedly was unclear.
Man calm down. I don't care if I was wrong but gloating about it, especially for amiibo stuff, is kind of odd to be honest. Especially since many of those posts will be completely forgotten in a couple of weeks. Whatever, you do you.

Now on to the actual subject. This sucks and I'm really glad that I have the amiibo set ordered now. I'll probably buy Smash Samus at Toys R Us in the future.

Shiggy

lol that man love bad news I swear. Somebody win the lottery he start screaming "TAXES" LOL

mimimi-6-mimimi-da-opiismf.jpg

You can use the ignore list if you want to have a bubble where everything is just rosy and lovely when it comes to Nintendo.

Man calm down. I don't care if I was wrong but gloating about it, especially for amiibo stuff, is kind of odd to be honest. Especially since many of those posts will be completely forgotten in a couple of weeks. Whatever, you do you.

Now on to the actual subject. This sucks and I'm really glad that I have the amiibo set ordered now. I'll probably buy Smash Samus at Toys R Us in the future.

I'm calm, I just posted an English Nintendo website posting the same information, you started with the "You really are relishing in this" stuff. lol

SixFourMike said:
Wasn't there that 3rd party device that emulates different Amiibo NFC data? I can see why that exists if so, so much shit locked away behind toys that I'll never be a fan of.

You can actually do that with an Android phone and an NFC tag which costs just a few dollars.

You can use the ignore list if you want to have a bubble where everything is just rosy and lovely when it comes to Nintendo.

I'm calm, I just posted an English Nintendo website posting the same information, you started with the "You really are relishing in this" stuff. lol

You can actually do that with an Android phone and an NFC tag which costs just a few dollars.
Nah, I dont ignore anyone that would be bogus

I don't put people on ignore. No matter how much they infuriate me. Especially in the XV threads.

But I'd feel bad putting someone on ignore. It's like I don't respect their opinion enough to even read it.

Now where to find Zero Suit Samus?
Wasn't there that 3rd party device that emulates different Amiibo NFC data? I can see why that exists if so, so much shit locked away behind toys that I'll never be a fan of.
There is something like that at GameStop. I actually would have bought it myself but I like the figures. So I'm keeping it.

But even if it isn't, it speaks volumes that this sounds so realistic coming from Nintendo :lol

I have no idea why it sounds realistic to you. Nintendo has never made stuff like this completely locked behind Amiibo. They function either as cheats to get stuff early or cosmetic unlockables.

The one exception and closest thing I can think of is the Splatoon 1 challenge courses, which was admittedly kind of BS but felt like an extra that wouldn't have been included in the game normally.

Shiggy

Nah, I dont ignore anyone that would be bogus

Let's get back on topic now. No need for you and AlexFlame116 to focus on me.

I have no idea why it sounds realistic to you. Nintendo has never made stuff like this completely locked behind Amiibo. They function either as cheats to get stuff early or cosmetic unlockables.

The one exception and closest thing I can think of is the Splatoon 1 challenge courses, which was admittedly kind of BS but felt like an extra that wouldn't have been included in the game normally.

Chibi-Robo Zip Lash had an entire world locked behind the Chibi-Robo amiibo, and Mario Party 10 also had an entire mode only available with amiibos. FE Echoes also had dungeons locked behind amiibos.

Nonetheless, as said before, the amiibo unlock could simply be hard mode with fusion suit, with hard mode still accessible through the normal game. Let's hope for that.

Zelda had that wolf companion behind Amiibo (and at least I didn't find an edaquate replacement for that feature ingame) and then locked the hard difficulty behind DLC. This potential Amiibo-only mode would be shady as hell, but not exactly far from what we've already seen.

giphy.gif

Literally 5 posts mate. And I even said the same thing in my first response.

Anyways there are still websites and some stores in Utah that are taking preorders for the Metroid amiibo 2 pack. I'll check around for people who want one.

Ridley327

The thing about the Chibi-Robo "world" is that there are probably two actual new levels in there, and the rest are slightly remixed boss fights. If it wasn't for the fact that the Amiibo bundle was the most common SKU for the game, I could safely tell someone to not bother hunting down the Chibi-Robo Amiibo unless they're a really big fan of the character. It's not as worthless of functionality as, say, Captain Toad, but calling it significant content is writing checks that its ass can't cash.

Chibi-Robo Zip Lash had an entire world locked behind the Chibi-Robo amiibo, and Mario Party 10 also had an entire mode only available with amiibos. FE Echoes also had dungeons locked behind amiibos.

Nonetheless, as said before, the amiibo unlock could simply be hard mode with fusion suit, with hard mode still accessible through the normal game. Let's hope for that.

giphy.gif

Zelda had that wolf companion behind Amiibo (and at least I didn't find an edaquate replacement for that feature ingame)

Have you ever actually used Wolf Link? Because if you have a boomerang and your shrine sensor is on... then you've already found an adequate replacement for Wolf Link, lmao

Wolf Link is terribly weak
Wolf Link has no armor and gets killed extremely easily, even if you boosted him through TPHD
Wolf Link runs off to fight whatever's nearby like Dogmeat
Wolf Link literally disappears whenever you fast travel or enter villages and you have to resummon him

People think Wolf Link is some sort of fleshed out pet mechanic and that they're actually missing out on something but he's just a hinderance, a little bonus to look at and be like "eh that's neat" because he serves very little practical purpose

Shiggy

The thing about the Chibi-Robo "world" is that there are probably two actual new levels in there, and the rest are slightly remixed boss fights. If it wasn't for the fact that the Amiibo bundle was the most common SKU for the game, I could safely tell someone to not bother hunting down the Chibi-Robo Amiibo unless they're a really big fan of the character. It's not as worthless of functionality as, say, Captain Toad, but calling it significant content is writing checks that its ass can't cash.

Was it two, weren't those 4 new levels, and 2 boss fights? I think in total it was 1/6 of the entire game, so pretty substantial even if the two boss fights were based upon previous bosses. The game itself was pretty bad, so one could argue it's not worth getting the amiibo. But still, they locked away a substantial part of the game behind an amiibo.

giphy.gif

Literally 5 posts mate. And I even said the same thing in my first response.

Haha, you two can't let it be.

Time for you to contribute to the topic, instead of further derailing it :)

7Th

Nintendo would never make people pay extra for the full game! People should open their eyes and start treating them as a piñata over the Amiibo garbage. At least normal DLC doesn't have limited availability.

CazTGG

For the new page:

The description does not hint in any capacity at the amiibo unlocking hard mode, sound test, or the gallery before you beat the game. Instead, the description on the Japanese website explicitly states that you need to beat the game to unlock these features, while using an amiibo.

So...this is the worst, most exploitative, anti-consumer use for Amiibo yet. Guess i'll be skipping out on this game entirely.

Well, for those who want an alternative to buying figures. You have at least two options.

One is this: Amiibo Action Replay PowerSaves

The other is this:
1mi1be754qqy.jpg

Custom made amiibo cards. You can find them on eBay, etsy and other sites. They're cheaper but eventually take more money the more you buy.

EDIT:
Well shit. I guess I'm going to buy some used amiibo and return it or some fan made tags likes these: https://www.etsy.com/listing/522541...ath-of-the-wild?ref=pla_similar_listing_top-1

Edit: Ninja'd
This stuff right here is an example of the second option!

Ridley327

Was it two, weren't those 4 new levels, and 2 boss fights? I think in total it was 1/6 of the entire game, so pretty substantial even if the two boss fights were based upon previous bosses. The game itself was pretty bad, so one could argue it's not worth getting the amiibo. But still, they locked away a substantial part of the game behind an amiibo.
I think it was two actual new levels, and then another two that were slight remixes of existing levels. Like, I want to say that they were about 3/4 the same as ones present in the main game, but they threw a new gauntlet for a stretch to liven it up. In any event, even the brand new levels weren't anything to write home about, and picking the two most obnoxious boss fights in the game to remix and also doing what I thought was impossible by making the submarine shark fight even longer than it already was by throwing in a new phase, isn't something that anyone should be rushing to use against the company. Splatoon is a much better example of that on the back of the sound test being locked to the Squid Amiibo that was only available in the US in the three-packs, even when they did the re-colors.

Shiggy

Well, for those who want an alternative to buying figures. You have at least two options.

One is this: Amiibo Action Replay PowerSaves

The other is this:
1mi1be754qqy.jpg

Custom made amiibo cards. You can find them on eBay and other sites. They're cheaper but eventually take more money the more you buy.

Others previously argued both of these alternatives aren't legal, as the amiibo data is copyrighted by Nintendo. For an NFC device, you would need to download the data from the internet, for the card you'd be buying a pirated version.

At the same time, one might argue that the unlockables are already on the game card which you paid for.

I think it was two actual new levels, and then another two that were slight remixes of existing levels. Like, I want to say that they were about 3/4 the same as ones present in the main game, but they threw a new gauntlet for a stretch to liven it up. In any event, even the brand new levels weren't anything to write home about, and picking the two most obnoxious boss fights in the game to remix and also doing what I thought was impossible by making the submarine shark fight even longer than it already was by throwing in a new phase, isn't something that anyone should be rushing to use against the company. Splatoon is a much better example of that on the back of the sound test being locked to the Squid Amiibo that was only available in the US in the three-packs, even when they did the re-colors.

That could actually be, though I didn't notice that. I felt all the levels were pretty forgettable and not well-designed, so I only did the bare minimum and played every levels once. The issues you describe are more related to the main game already not being good itself.

Top Bottom