• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns amiibo functions revealed; Fusion Difficulty, Fusion Suit

Arkeband

Banned
So four DLC adding up to more than the cost of the game itself for extra features usually baked into games?

Sounds about right.

God forbid someone points out more potential anti-consumer behaviour by a major publisher.

The FFXV Police moonlight as Amiibo DLC Nutritionists.

It's good for you and/or vote with your wallet lololol *empties wallet into Reggie's mouth*

Others previously argued both of these alternatives aren't legal, as the amiibo data is copyrighted by Nintendo. For an NFC device, you would need to download the data from the internet, for the card you'd be buying a pirated version.

At the same time, one might argue that the unlockables are already on the game card which you paid for.
Then buy the amiibo figures. That's what I've been doing. But supply and demand sometimes makes people look for alternatives.

Peltz

This is ridiculous.

Enough with the amiibo nonsense, Nintendo. It's a blemish on your catalog.

So four DLC adding up to more than the cost of the game itself for extra features usually baked into games?

Sounds about right.

Yea, I don't like it. I don't want to have to purchase plastic stuff to have all of the game features.

This is a dumb decision

I want to say "surely there's another way to unlock this mode" but I'm not sure what it could be beyond beating the game.

Ridley327

That could actually be, though I didn't notice that. I felt all the levels were pretty forgettable and not well-designed, so I only did the bare minimum and played every levels once. The issues you describe are more related to the main game already not being good itself.
I managed to beat the game 100% outside of scanning in all the Amiibos for the poses, so I am something of an accidental expert on the game. It's one of those quintessential "not great, but does nothing wrong and plays competently" titles that crop up every so often, though I do have to give it credit for having a rather decent set of secrets to unlock, as they do often require you to put your skills to the test, so there are glimmers of genuine inspiration for the mechanics that are presented. Plus, the final boss encounter suddenly going all Pacific Rim was a nice way to end it.

I hadn't played the previous Chibi-Robo titles, so I may not be all that qualified to give an accurate assessment of it in the context of the rest of the series, but since it appears that they shifted genres a lot throughout its history, it may not matter that much.

You are only allowed to scan the amiibo during holiday events and they only give you one loot box
Let's think bigger! How about, exclusive Nintendo skins and voice lines that are only accessible using the amiibo for a limited time before they are gone forever!

Samus Pharah! Mario Torbjorn! Inkling Tracer! Link Genji and so on!

Novocaine

To be fair, they're not asking you. It's optional.

I agree that's it's a really shitty business practice though. Tempted to look into those cards on the previous page.

Honesty I don't consider difficulty settings to be optional content myself.

With that said I'm getting the figures because I love Metroid and I want them on my display shelf with the other two so for me it doesn't matter either way but I do think it's kind of dodgy to lock what I think should be standard in a game behind a $20 figure. Sound test, concept art and costumes sure, but not difficulty settings.

Was it two, weren't those 4 new levels, and 2 boss fights? I think in total it was 1/6 of the entire game, so pretty substantial even if the two boss fights were based upon previous bosses. The game itself was pretty bad, so one could argue it's not worth getting the amiibo. But still, they locked away a substantial part of the game behind an amiibo.

Haha, you two can't let it be.

Time for you to contribute to the topic, instead of further derailing it :)

I already said this wont be an issue for me. I rarely use amiibo for anything other than to collect them. I'll but these amiibos but I wont use them in the game. Sucks for people that want to do this stuff. Hopefully this is not the case and you just have to beat the game. I just wanted to express my companionship with alexflame.

The only time I really used amiibo was to unlock the mario kart 8 costumes.

Moog_

Neo Member
I'm curious about the amiibo PowerSaves, is it able to unlock any amiibo stuff without actually having a physical amiibo? From the description it sounds like I can just power up the amiibos I already have.

RootCause

This is messed up. Hiding fan favorite costumes and difficulty modes behind a $13 paywall. Just gross behavior by Nintendo.

OmegaFax

Nintendo's PR needs to clarify what the requirements are for unlocking these extras. If they're Amiibo-exclusive, they ought to say it outright.

If there's some crazy in-game requirement like beat the game in under two hours or in some crazy difficultly ramped up mode OR unlock via Amiibo in standard difficulty at your own pace, it's a pay-to-win scenario.

This Amiibo as DLC thing isn't the first time this has happened. Breath of the Wild's Amiibo exclusive costumes (and mount, Epona) cost more than the game + with more in tow that we don't know what they do exactly. Splatoon's optional costumes require the original three Amiibo, Marie, Callie, and the new Splat 2 trio.

PowerSaves is a grey area because the required .bin files are copyrighted but the content themselves are in the game, not the figurine. The Amiibo are not tied to any digital transaction system nor are tickets or tokens pulled from the internet to initiate the unlock.

In some instances, the games themselves can be modified to activate certain Amiibo functions or game saves themselves may already have them unlocked. My stance is that Amiibo are first and foremost statuettes and their unlocking or interactive features are secondary.

It's impossible to assess the value of each individual Amiibo as DLC because even new or unannounced games may use older Amiibo (like in Metroid or Splatoon 2's case).

Nintendo does not provide an avenue for the consumer that solely cares about the game and the content within they purchased to make it completely unlockable without these figurines. They use Amiibo to promote games.

They wouldn't make card Amiibo of older Smash characters (yet) anyway for people that do not want a couple dozen statuettes for any given game. It makes financial sense for to push statuettes with games vs. just cards ... not practical sense for the customer.

Zoon

I feel like Nintendo is a console company with the mindset of a mobile company. I'll still be buying the game since I am not interested in any of the amiibo functionalities but I wouldn't if it was something that would impact my playthrough of the game.

gondwana

2007 - "wait weren't these spacebucks just cheat codes 10 years ago"

2017 - "wait weren't these scalped plastic toys just spacebucks 10 years ago"

The Fusion suit is so fascinating, because never has such an iconic character, had such a huge visual change, without people protesting it.

Petrae

why? did you planned on playing on fusion mode from the beginning?

again, were you planning on NOT beating the game?

It doesn't fucking matter if you beat the game. The post-game content is still locked unless you have the amiibo in question.

aBarreras

It doesn't fucking matter if you beat the game. The post-game content is still locked unless you have the amiibo in question.

it would have been locked anyways! so i dont quite get why does it matter if it is before or after you beat the game, you need the amiibo anyways

oh wait, im saying exactly what you are saying, i dont unterstand why people are mad about the needing to beat the game tho

-shadow-

So we don't get this content without the amiibo? Can we have a journalist grow some balls and seriously put Nintendo on the spot for this?

HardRojo

Woop woop, gotta take two drinks already! Anti-consumer party let's goooooo!
Can't Nintendo be called out on their bullshit with this?

This sucks, I'm still getting the 2 amiibo because I fucking love Metroid, and I already got both Smash Samus versions, but locking this stuff behind amiibo only, and making them simply early unlocks is really shitty. Hopefully they'll rectify this stuff soon, just to prevent bad word of mouth because I really want this to do well, I need more Metroid games (that aren't shit like Federation Force).

The Fusion suit is so fascinating, because never has such an iconic character, had such a huge visual change, without people protesting it.

i think it's more due to the fact that not only the game was pretty amazing, but we also got metroidp rime on the same day, which was the game people were protesting then haha

Petrae

it would have been locked anyways! so i dont quite get why does it matter if it is before or after you beat the game, you need the amiibo anyways

oh wait, im saying exactly what you are saying, i dont unterstand why people are mad about the needing to beat the game tho

Who's mad about beating the game? That's not the point. The point is that Nintendo is gating off content unless you:

a) Can find their toys
b) Are willing to pay to buy them (and thus unlocking the in-game content)

One thought was that the amiibo could have acted as a time-saver and unlocked the extra content right away-- which would further validate the purchase of the toys-- but it's not a requisite.

HardRojo

People are mad at the mode being locked behind amiibo without any other way to unlock it. If the amiibo unlocked it early and you could still get the new mode by beating the game, you wouldn't see much of an uproar. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

For cosmetic items it's tolerable but it's hard to defend this when it's about core functionality that would've undoubtedly been included in the base game had it been released pre-amiibo days. Hopefully they reverse this and allow the modes to be unlocked normally.

gardfish

Oh goddammit, I can't even preorder these things anymore. Ooooof course. They're going to be impossible to find, aren't they?

why? did you planned on playing on fusion mode from the beginning?

again, were you planning on NOT beating the game?
No mate the problem is you can't even do Fusion Difficulty if you don't have the respective amiibo. Even if you beat the game you need the amiibo. I already have the amiibo preordered so it's not an issue for me personally but there are more people out there who doesn't have the amiibo because it's not available at the moment anymore. That's not fair.

Oberon

Banned

It's refresing that Metroid doesn't ask me for money.
20 bucks DLC? That's fine

Menitta

I'm gonna buy these amiibos because I love Metroid but this is complete bullshit. Im amazed Amiibos are still some of the industry's worst use of DLC. They're being used as DLC yet it's difficult to even buy these figures.

TheMoon

We don't know any more than we did yesterday but suddenly it's all welcome to the terrordome up in here lol. you guys.

Giga Man

I'm more pissed that they're hiding 2 art galleries and the SOUND TEST behind paid DLC. Those are the easiest and most no-brainer things to always give players straight-up for completing a game. I don't want the Metroid amiibo, and I sold half of my Smash amiibo collection which included the two Samus.

This is incredible.

Top Bottom