• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns amiibo functions revealed; Fusion Difficulty, Fusion Suit

I've got a Metroid amiibo on order but I think I may just bite the bullet and get an N2. I like certain Amiibo and when I like them for their own sake, I'll buy them, if I can find them. But Often I can find them, or I don't really want them and the Amiibo is just a glorified and expensive DLC code.

On the other hand I'm not normally one for sailing the high seas so maybe I won't.

Peltz

So far, my general feelings about this game are basically:

giphy.gif

Velcro Fly

So during the game the amiibo function to make things easier? That may entice me to play the game. I'm generally pretty bad at games.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
This kinda sucks because even if I had (were able to get) the amiibo I still wouldn't be able to use them 'cause I only have the OG 3DS.

I mean I'm still buying the game but I'll be sad while doing it.

This kinda sucks because even if I had (were able to get) the amiibo I still wouldn't be able to use them 'cause I only have the OG 3DS.

I mean I'm still buying the game but I'll be sad while doing it.

That is really bad if this remains the case. Not everyone has a N3DS or the portable amiibo widget.

RRockman

Banned
does anyone actually buy amiibo for their in game functions?

In all seriousness I haven't. It just made put the amiibos I was already going to buy much higher on the list. It would not have got them on If I didn't like the amiibo in the first place. One example is Cloud, which is like probably the best figure you are going to get of him sub $70 usd because of how expensive Square's own figures are.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Theory: The only possible scenario where the amiibo isn't required is if the amiibo only let's you bypass some extra requirement like item %.

And Fusion Mode is only a cosmetic change to Hard Mode.

Dryk

Anyone complaining about what is basically DLC that comes with an awesome, free figure (or an awesome figure that comes with free DLC) is really doing a disservice to themselves. Amiibo are easily worth the money and the 2 new Metroid figures look to be some of the best yet.
Not everybody wants the figures, or thinks they're awesome. Amiibo being physical lowers their value to a lot of people.

While it's true that for some people the cost of Amiibo are spread across multiple games and a figure they like it's not a universal truth. The people who just want these functions without having to pay $15 for a piece of plastic they don't want have every right to be mad because Nintendo *are* asking them to pay $15 and allocate storage to functionality that was previously both free and intangible.

Not everybody wants the figures, or thinks they're awesome. Amiibo being physical lowers their value to a lot of people.

While it's true that for some people the cost of Amiibo are spread across multiple games and a figure they like it's not a universal truth. The people who just want these functions without having to pay $15 for a piece of plastic they don't want have every right to be mad because Nintendo *are* asking them to pay $15 and allocate storage to functionality that was previously both free and intangible.
Said this in 2014:

Allow for people to buy the extras that the Amiibos unlock as pay DLC. That way the complains will be about having to pay extra for content that's already in the game like usual. And not make some people "hate" the figures.

However, fault lies in the players for supporting frivolous DLC from the get go and supporting the pay to play model introduced to console by MS. No need to get mad just take your money elsewhere.

Another thing, Amiibo functionality is in a different realm than paying to unlock costumes in other games. The figure is a physical object that holds value in itself, can be lend or sold and has a collecting meaning.

Amiibos so far work a cross many games, systems and now even console generations. There's people that are into collecting independently of the game functionality the figure might have, to them the virtual items that unlock are a bonus. It's Nintendo rewarding their more dedicated fans.

In the end, the majority of cases of Amiibo use are mainly cosmetic stuff. So far is the exceptiuon not the rule, yet people tend to latch on to the negative.

Toxi

Banned
Argh

Anyone complaining about what is basically DLC that comes with an awesome, free figure (or an awesome figure that comes with free DLC) is really doing a disservice to themselves. Amiibo are easily worth the money and the 2 new Metroid figures look to be some of the best yet.
That's quite some spin

I don't want to spend a premium on features like a fucking art gallery or hard mode.

free figure (or an awesome figure that comes with free DLC) is really doing a disservice to themselves. Amiibo are easily worth the money

Tis why I collect amiibos of my likings. It does me justice til I can save up for those high quality figures that are $100+ from places like First 4 Figures, etc. I feel a sense of joy that I at least have something of my favorite characters from different Nintendo series.

Mael

Really the greatest thing about the amiibo in comparison to DLC is that they unlock stuffs for multiple games and can be sold afterwards.
Other than that, I'd prefer my figurines to not be tied to shitty BS from games I play.

LordKano

I can't tell if it's really well done sarcasm or not. I hope it is.

CazTGG

Three words: Metroid: Zero Mission.

13ruce

Banned

Only your last sentence is something i agree with. Amiibo dlc should be able to be purchased on the eshop atleast and maybe even make amiibo cards for retail.

Still scummy but it would atleast have people able to get the dlc they want for a few bucks instead of 10+ for a figure or 50+ from scalpers.

Peltz

This is a crock of shit and you know it. This "DLC" was included as standard in games like Metroid Zero and Metroid Trilogy. It's one thing if this was a feature that was designed specifically for amiibo like the costumes in Yoshi's Wooly World.

But the content in this amiibo unlock is a series staple.

Yukinari

Kind of surprised they didnt also lock a boss rush or various suits from the series behind amiibo too.

Having metroid tracking being an amiibo feature is asinine.

Ridley327

Kind of surprised they didnt also lock a boss rush or various suits from the series behind amiibo too.

Having metroid tracking being an amiibo feature is asinine.

All of the temporary boosts are geared right at inexperienced players. A Metroid tracker seems like a perfectly suitable function for those kinds of gamers.

rekameohs

Banned
$40 to $50 worth of shitty figurines for $5 to $10 of actual content. Fuck off with amiibo.
Metroid Prime Trilogy also includes difficulty options and a playable Fusion Suit, plus numerous concept galleries, environment art, ingame soundtrack, screenshot function, Mii bobblehead, etc. for free.

Ridley327

Is it confirmed there is no other way to unlock this content?

No, we don't have any information beyond what the Amiibo figures do for the game. Since we've had no updates on the US side of things yet for their functionality, I don't think there's anyone in the press that actually knows enough to get a word from Nintendo about what's what.

Instro

Wow

Metroid Prime Trilogy also includes difficulty options and a playable Fusion Suit, plus numerous concept galleries, environment art, ingame soundtrack, screenshot function, Mii bobblehead, etc. for free.
And on top of that it was a compilation of 3 of the best games made in addition to being on sale for $10 its first week on the U eshop.

Amiibo is greedy as fuck and only defended because it is Nintendo. If Bethesda or ubisoft did this shit everyone would be up in arms.

BY2K

Membero Americo
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...ard-mode-behind-amiibo?utm_source=wptwitterus

When I contacted Nintendo, the company pointed me to their Facebook page.

That didn't answer my question, though. I understood what the amiibos could do, the question was whether players could get the same content without one.

Again, the company pointed me to their Facebook page. It refused to provide any direct clarification on this point, which may say it all: it is locked behind amiibos.

Mark1

How can people give Nintendo excuses for this shitty practise with Amiibo?

Want to play the full content on the cartridge? Buck up a few more and it's yours. Fuck that, if I pay full retail price then I expect a full game, no matter what way you look at it, using these toys for a hard mode or an extra suit screams cheap from Nintendo.

And I'm properly excited for this game too, but I will not encourage the extra purchases here, if someone I know decides to buy the Metroid amiibo I'll use theirs. Like what I did with BoTW.

Well that's outright asinine then. This just went from a definite buy to a 'no-buy' with one fell swoop.

The worst thing about this is that they've already hit their sales projections after opening up pre-orders. This all ofcourse before sharing this 'amazing' functionality.

RootCause

Nintendo should offer digital amiibo. Make it an app, where you canexamine each one, and store them in a digital shelf. Nobody has to miss out on another amiibo again.

Toxi

Banned
It's probably safe to say that this game registers as a light monkey's paw wish at this point. What a mind-boggling decision that does no one any favors, least of all them.
I mean, it's still a Sakamoto-directed handheld Metroid that looks like a ton of fun.

It just has an asinine Amiibo implementation that highlights everything wrong with the model.

Ridley327

I mean, it's still a Sakamoto-directed handheld Metroid that looks like a ton of fun.

It just has an asinine Amiibo implementation that highlights everything wrong with the model.

Right, that's why I went with a "light" descriptor there.

"Hey, you're getting a new Metroid game, and it's a long awaited remake of a game that desperately needed one, and designed to right some of the wrongs the last time our designers had the chance the work on a Metroid, and it looks great, and everyone that's played it loves it, BUT PUMP THOSE BRAKES EVER SO SLIGHTLY, FRIEND!"

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well that's outright asinine then. This just went from a definite buy to a 'no-buy' with one fell swoop.

The worst thing about this is that they've already hit their sales projections after opening up pre-orders. This all ofcourse before sharing this 'amazing' functionality.

Don't buy the amiibo if you want.

But don't pass on the game.

Because then Metroid fans will have a reason to complain if this and Prime 4 bomb.

Don't buy the amiibo if you want.

But don't pass on the game.

Because then Metroid fans will have a reason to complain if this and Prime 4 bomb.

I don't think anybody needs to be afraid of this bombing to be honest. Even if it did, Nintendo has shown willingness to revive the series after giving it some rest. The same can be said of quite some other franchises of theirs as well.

I just don't want to encourage them for doing something like this. I'm fine with Amiibo, hell I've even bought some myself. But this much functionality being locked, especially as earlier Metroids give this away for free is too much for me.

But hey, if it doesn't offend you then go for it! Like I said, I wouldn't fear this bombing. The pre-orders have shown there's quite a bit of demand and the reveal trailer also has quite some views. This will sell. I just hope it doesn't set precedent.

Rncewind

so it is confirmed?

I don't think anybody needs to be afraid of this bombing to be honest. Even if it did, Nintendo has shown willingness to revive the series after giving it some rest. The same can be said of quite some other franchises of theirs as well.

I just don't want to encourage them for doing something like this. I'm fine with Amiibo, hell I've even bought some myself. But this much functionality being locked, especially as earlier Metroids give this away for free is too much for me.

But hey, if it doesn't offend you then go for it! Like I said, I wouldn't fear this bombing. The pre-orders have shown there's quite a bit of demand and the reveal trailer also has quite some views. This will sell. I just hope it doesn't set precedent.

yeah im gonna buy the game and simply gonna opt for a amiibo card, this shit is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Funny thing is things like zelda showed where the journey with amiibos was headed but some company apologist gonna smooth talk everything

No hard mode without the Amiibo? Okay no Metroid for me. Not a tough decision. I already didn't wanna buy anymore 3DS games so this makes it easy.

Funny thing is things like zelda showed where the journey with amiibos was headed but some company apologist gonna smooth talk everything

Personally I dont give a shit about the Zelda stuff. Skins and such dont matter to me. Hard mode definitely is something I am not hunting down plastic figures for though.

Top Bottom