• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns amiibo functions revealed; Fusion Difficulty, Fusion Suit

TheFuzz

You can now preorder the Two Pack Amiibo on Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com//site/ninten...ck-samus-aran-metroid/5931700.p?skuId=5931700

24 bucks with gamer club.

I just ordered mine and I noticed they have the 3DS Samus Edition Console preorderable too:

http://www.bestbuy.com//site/nintendo-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-samus-edition/6051700.p?skuId=6051700

Hope that helps anybody looking out.

If anybody notices Target get their preorder up for the 3DS Samus Console up could they let this thread know? I'd like to preorder from Target to save 5%. Thanks!

Awesome, got one for pickup. Thanks!

That's a very strange analogy. The Tingle Tuner would not have worked without a GBA at all. It depended on a second player having a second screen. A gameplay feature depending on an additional system is not comparable to an amiibo unlock at all; your comment makes it sound as if you've never used the Tingle Tuner at all. What's next? Complaining that you had to buy Wii Motion Plus to "unlock playability" in Wii Sports Resort?
Your reply does not consider the statements i was responding to, so "meaning" is lost. In short:

Person 1 claims this is a "New" Nintendo that locks content behind extra Nintendo merchandise like hardware and peripherals. Person 2 claims that the GC days where the "Good times" of Nintendo extra content.

Response to Person 1. Nintendo has been tying content to the possesion of extra stuff since decades ago. Examples: Oracle of Ages/Seasons (to some extent), Nintendo 64 Transfer Pack and GC-GBA Link Cable.

Response to Person 2. During the GC days, there were all sort of different types of locked content dependant of GC/GBA interactivity very similar to the types of unlocks we have with Ammibo today: Cosmetic stuff, extra items, game modes, etc. Since a cosmetic content was already mentioned (the Fusion suit) i chose to mention the first thing that came to my head which was gameplay related: The Tingle Tunner.

In regards to the Tingle Tunner. It is quiet a leap on your part to assume im ignorant of what it does. im familiar with it... enough to know that most of it's functionality could be replicated with a second controller plugged to the GC. A good chunk of the GBA 2.9'' screen was used by a wind compass and tingle's face HUD. Item selection could be emulated in the TV with a small HUD strip that would pop when player 2 is selecting an item. Bombs, tingle ballon, shield an potions where the main gameplay uses. The chart and Tingle messages were flavor stuff that could be fiited in to the botton left map HUD if necessary.

Tingle Tunner is not as dependent of the 2nd screen functionality as somethig made from the ground up with GBA in mind like Crystal Chronicles or Four Swords. Related to the discussion, 4 Swords was made to work with just the TV for 1 playe play. Adapting Tingle Tunner for TV use would have been a lot more easy if Nintendo wasn't pushing the GBA interactivity like is doing with Amiibo right now.

What's next? Complaining that you had to buy Wii Motion Plus to "unlock playability" in Wii Sports Resort?
That's a very strange analogy.

Since the Wii Motion + accesory was included with the game and it became part of every Wii Remote manufactured after september 2010. Leaving aside obvious things like the fact that M+ enhanced precision and was not some tacked on or extra feature like most of the locked stuff we talk about here.

Shiggy

On amiibo support and whether four is too many…

Yoshio Sakamoto: From our perspective, that isn’t the mindset we have towards them. Please don’t forget that, out of the four, two are Smash Bros.-related figurines. We have two new ones, but we’ve enabled users who have the two older ones to take advantage of them. To clarify, you don’t need amiibo to unlock hard mode. When you clear the game, everyone has access to the hard mode.

So for our fans who purchase the respective figurine, fans will get a harder challenge. I think we have a lot of fans, and for the fans who purchase our amiibo out of love for our series, in addition to having a beautiful figurine, we wanted to give them something in exchange. Namely, to be able to unlock the Fusion Mode, which is even harder than hard mode.

On how much harder than Hard Mode is Fusion Mode…

Yoshio Sakamoto: I can’t really get into the details, but I can say Fusion Mode is significantly more difficult than Hard Mode. Sorry I can’t go into more detail, but I want fans to experience it for themselves.

There will be save stations… the nature of the difficulty isn’t that form, it’s more how much damage will be inflicted, and the like.

So Fusion Mode is Extra Hard mode, locked behind an amiibo
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakam...support-series-future-rhythm-heaven-not-dead/

Your reply does not consider the statements i was responding to, so "meaning" is lost. In short:

Person 1 claims this is a "New" Nintendo that locks content behind extra Nintendo merchandise like hardware and peripherals. Person 2 claims that the GC days where the "Good times" of Nintendo extra content.

Response to Person 1. Nintendo has been tying content to the possesion of extra stuff since decades ago. Examples: Oracle of Ages/Seasons (to some extent), Nintendo 64 Transfer Pack and GC-GBA Link Cable.

Response to Person 2. During the GC days, there were all sort of different types of locked content dependant of GC/GBA interactivity very similar to the types of unlocks we have with Ammibo today: Cosmetic stuff, extra items, game modes, etc. Since a cosmetic content was already mentioned (the Fusion suit) i chose to mention the first thing that came to my head which was gameplay related: The Tingle Tunner.

In regards to the Tingle Tunner. It is quiet a leap on your part to assume im ignorant of what it does. im familiar with it... enough to know that most of it's functionality could be replicated with a second controller plugged to the GC. A good chunk of the GBA 2.9'' screen was used by a wind compass and tingle's face HUD. Item selection could be emulated in the TV with a small HUD strip that would pop when player 2 is selecting an item. Bombs, tingle ballon, shield an potions where the main gameplay uses. The chart and Tingle messages were flavor stuff that could be fiited in to the botton left map HUD if necessary.

Tingle Tunner is not as dependent of the 2nd screen functionality as somethig made from the ground up with GBA in mind like Crystal Chronicles or Four Swords. Related to the discussion, 4 Swords was made to work with just the TV for 1 playe play. Adapting Tingle Tunner for TV use would have been a lot more easy if Nintendo wasn't pushing the GBA interactivity like is doing with Amiibo right now.

I guess we agree to disagree here. Yes, the Tingle Tuner could have been possible with a split-screen, but that would have altered the experience quite a bit. I was less experienced with such games back then, and thus I really enjoyed having my own screen and own "secrets" from the main player as well as my own responsibilities. Just having something pop up on the screen that the main player would see would have been rather lame. Therefore the Tingle Tuner isn't really to be seen in line with an unnecessary lockout of non-GBA owners and instead a real gameplay feature that depends on the GBA screen.

You need to differentiate between GBA-GCN connectivity features that were gameplay features (Wind Waker, Pac-Man Vs, FFCC, Zelda Four Swords Adventures), and simple content lock-outs (Metroid Prime/Fusion). In case of art galleries or the Fusion Suit, the gameplay experience wouldn't have changed at all by removing the GBA. In case of Wind Waker, Pac-Man Vs, and FFCC, it would be as players would suddenly no longer have their own screen.

That's a very strange analogy.

Since the Wii Motion + accesory was included with the game and it became part of every Wii Remote manufactured after september 2010. Leaving aside obvious things like the fact that M+ enhanced precision and was not some tacked on or extra feature like most of the locked stuff we talk about here.

Later releases of Wii Sports Resort didn't come with the Wii Motion Plus accessory. And you are right, the enhanced precision was an elementary feature. But so was the GBA to the Tingle Tuner in Wind Waker, which you just dismissed.

Shifty1897

When you want to support Metroid, but don't want to support Toys To Life marketing, but they're one in the same now.

d24.png

Top Bottom