• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns amiibo functions revealed; Fusion Difficulty, Fusion Suit

Don't buy the amiibo if you want.

But don't pass on the game.

Because then Metroid fans will have a reason to complain if this and Prime 4 bomb.

Yeah. But the game if you're interested in it, just don't buy the amiibo or the special edition.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
$15 per DLC is some bullshit, this is greedy, Nintendo.

I would understand if you could unlock the stuff by beating the game, but this is inexcusable.

Ms.Galaxy

No hard mode without the Amiibo? Okay no Metroid for me. Not a tough decision.

Same here. I love Metroid, but I refuse to give Nintendo a single cent on any game that uses amiibo in such a bad fashion. Locking content that used to be normal post game unlocks in previous entries in the series behind a 30 dollar pay wall is just... no.

Nintendo should offer digital amiibo. Make it an app, where you canexamine each one, and store them in a digital shelf. Nobody has to miss out on another amiibo again.

Hmm... I love this idea. It's convenient, they can sell the amiibo keys for cheap, and it's far more efficient than having dozens of plastic tat some don't want.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Nintendo should offer digital amiibo. Make it an app, where you canexamine each one, and store them in a digital shelf. Nobody has to miss out on another amiibo again.

If they absolutely insist on doing this crap, yeah, this is the way. Bad enough they want $15/per on these piddly unlocks, but good luck finding the damn things after a day or two.

Same here. I love Metroid, but I refuse to give Nintendo a single cent on any game that uses amiibo in such a bad fashion. Locking content that used to be normal post game unlocks in previous entries in the series behind a 30 dollar pay wall is just... no.

I don't even mind paying for a hard mode but Amiibo dont appeal to me and I am not going to hunt down plastic for it.

This is like the easiest decision of life lol

How can people give Nintendo excuses for this shitty practise with Amiibo?

Want to play the full content on the cartridge? Buck up a few more and it's yours. Fuck that, if I pay full retail price then I expect a full game, no matter what way you look at it, using these toys for a hard mode or an extra suit screams cheap from Nintendo.

And I'm properly excited for this game too, but I will not encourage the extra purchases here, if someone I know decides to buy the Metroid amiibo I'll use theirs. Like what I did with BoTW.

People give Nintendo a pass for all kinds of shit. It's ridiculous.

This is shitty but let's not act like you don't get the full experience right out of the box. This is an extra, and it sucks it's in the game and locked behind a paywall. But boycotting the game or some such is just going to hurt yourself in the long run more than Nintendo. This game and Prime need to sell well to see more entries in the series.

This move was likely done to see if they can make good money off the title by forcing the hardcore to buy an add on. A marketing strategy that could be a way to gauge if they can make enough money this way to keep the series going despite not selling great.

xabbott

This is shitty but let's not act like you don't get the full experience right out of the box. This is an extra, and it sucks it's in the game and locked behind a paywall. But boycotting the game or some such is just going to hurt yourself in the long run more than Nintendo. This game and Prime need to sell well to see more entries in the series.

This move was likely done to see if they can make good money off the title by forcing the hardcore to buy an add on. A marketing strategy that could be a way to gauge if they can make enough money this way to keep the series going despite not selling great.

Eh, I'm past giving them a free pass on the Amiibo stuff. I don't want a future Metroid that requires me to buy physical toys to gain access to other aspects of the game. At least give me a digital way to purchase if they insist on locking it behind a paywall. Nintendo can do DLC right. I thought the Mario Kart dlc was done well on Wii U.

are the posts above you not prove that most people are not giving a pass?

Yeah they are some special cases but you gonna have that with all fanboys

You should check the quote I responded to. I'm not talking about just this incident. Nintendo has pulled all kinds of shit over my life time and they ONLY get away with it because their games are so good. That's the only reason. It's frustrating as a consumer and as a fan.

Toxi

Banned
It's possible Fusion Mode is just the game's normal non-Amiibo Hard Mode with the Fusion Suit added on.

Shiggy

It's possible Fusion Mode is just the game's normal non-Amiibo Hard Mode with the Fusion Suit added on.

Possible, but the wording would've been more like "tap this amiibo to unlock the Fusion Suit for hard mode" in that case.

This move was likely done to see if they can make good money off the title by forcing the hardcore to buy an add on.

I pretty much think that this is the case. They know that the title will only sell to the hardcore, so they want to increase revenues per user.

Toxi

Banned
Possible, but the wording would've been more like "tap this amiibo to unlock the Fusion Suit for hard mode" in that case.
Could be that Fusion Mode and Hard Mode are different selections on the menu.

Nintendo's lack of communication is frustrating, and even if hard mode isn't locked behind an Amiibo, I don't like locking shit like art galleries or the sound test behind plastic toys.

Going to guess fusion mode is take double damage but have normal or double attack power similar to hero mode in past zelda games and starfox zero (which also used an amiibo to unlock)

HardRojo

They should really come out and clarify this shit. Maybe they're internally backtracking and working on the amiibo as early unlocks, rather than actual walls for the content?

HardRojo

Don't boicot the game please :( Be vocal about the amiibo crap they're pulling with this and don't buy them if you don't like them, but let the series stay alive. Just a few months ago it was a dream to have a single Metroid game in development, now we have two and hopefully, if they perform well enough, Nintendo will keep them coming.

RRockman

Banned
Don't boicot the game please :( Be vocal about the amiibo crap they're pulling with this and don't buy them if you don't like them, but let the series stay alive. Just a few months ago it was a dream to have a single Metroid game in development, now we have two and hopefully, if they perform well enough, Nintendo will keep them coming.

Lol no way i'm not buying the game. I'll just not buy the amiibo. Even if it means missing out on that glorious squishy metroid ;_;

It's just unfortunate. The game is already 50 bucks over here, I was willing to let that slide but I'm not going to throw money at it if theyre going to hide modes and features behind toys I don't want.

Blues1990

It's just unfortunate. The game is already 50 bucks over here, I was willing to let that slide but I'm not going to throw money at it if theyre going to hide modes and features behind toys I don't want.

You do know that the amiibo stuff is optional and not required for the game, no? It's basically fluff.

Hopefully this doesn't end up being the case. I don't mind them adding some non trivial things to amiibos like costumes but this type of content shouldn't be attached to them. Not only are they expensive but they're produced in limited quantities and there is no guarantee you can even get one. There needs to be an in game way to get his content or a way to just buy he DLC straight up.

Also I think it's poor form from Nintendo to start trying to gauge the metroid fan base whilst attempting to resurrect the franchise. Surely right now they're trying to win over metroid fans and make this into a viable franchise. Milking users over with BS DLC like this doesn't seem like the best way to do that.

smisk

Still gonna get the game, but this is shitty. I might have considered getting the Metroid one, but seems like it's only coming in a 2-pack and fuck paying $30.

You do know that the amiibo stuff is optional and not required for the game, no? It's basically fluff.

All DLC/microtransactions could be described this way if someone wanted to spin hard enough. Needing to buy a $15 toy to access a harder difficulty mode is something most companies would get torn to shreds over.

Rran

Still gonna get the game, but this is shitty. I might have considered getting the Metroid one, but seems like it's only coming in a 2-pack and fuck paying $30.
Was going to make my own post on the matter, but this sums up things pretty well :/

Spy

Someone should make a thread about the difficulty mode being locked behind an Amiibo. The title of this one isn't clear enough and Nintendo needs to see people are vocally against things like this.

Toxi

Banned
All DLC/microtransactions could be described this way if someone wanted to spin hard enough. Needing to buy a $15 toy to access a harder difficulty mode is something most companies would get torn to shreds over.
Unfortunately, it's not a $15 toy, it's a pack of two toys for $30.

Blues1990

And I'm just going to pick up the game on it's own. I've been waiting for a proper Metroid instalment, and I'm not going to loose sleep over the amiibo stuff. It's not going to hamper my experience playing the game.

And it shouldn't for you.

Funny thing is things like zelda showed where the journey with amiibos was headed but some company apologist gonna smooth talk everything
Eh, I really disagree with Zelda being the bad example. A lot of cosmetic stuff with those amiibo's, sure. A nice extra with Wolf Link. But nothing beyond the realm of cool cheats or costumes.

As for Nintendo heading in some AAAAWFUL direction, I don't think so. We've seen worse from them before with both Amiibo and DLC(Fire Emblem comes to mind) and even after those they've reversed course, still trying to strike the best balance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This wouldn't be so bad if Amiibos weren't impossible to buy.

At this point it's easier to just pirate them, and given how they give in game bonuses in everything now, all it does is incentivize the Chinese ebay sellers.

Toxi

Banned
It still irks me when I play Prime trilogy, look at the extras, and realize I can't get half of them because they're tied to the asinine friend voucher system that doesn't even fucking work anymore.

I have to laugh at the idea difficulty options are an extra now.

TheShinobi

Neo Member
I really hope the game doesnt bomb because of this, I want there to be more 2d metroid games with or without amiibo. I can understand why people are so upset over this though.

$60 worth of amiibo to unlock those features, 2 of which aren't manufactured anymore and are nigh impossible to find.

Nintendo-840x420.jpg

It still irks me when I play Prime trilogy, look at the extras, and realize I can't get half of them because they're tied to the asinine friend voucher system that doesn't even fucking work anymore.

Never had enough friends to get it all, lol.

Wound up downloading a hacked save file a while back that has max friend tokens. SOMEDAY I'll replay them...

I have to laugh at the idea difficulty options are an extra now.

Things like game endings, regular content and even the unlockables you'd find in old titles (characters, costumes, modes) have been extra for a long time.

Nintendo is just riding that train (a train many of "core" players have insisted they ride for a long time too). But hey, "it's 2017".

Instro

Things like game endings, regular content and even the unlockables you'd find in old titles (characters, costumes, modes) have been extra for a long time.

Nintendo is just riding that train (a train many of "core" players have insisted they ride for a long time too). But hey, "it's 2017".

I can't even keep up with this much spin.

mrk8885

Banned
I really hope the game doesnt bomb because of this, I want there to be more 2d metroid games with or without amiibo. I can understand why people are so upset over this though.

This game isn't going to bomb over these complaints, coming from a very vocal minority.

Hopefully Metroid Prime 4 doesn't follow this trend.

Wouldn't be surprised, though. They'll probably hide the Wave Beam behind an amiibo or something.

HardRojo

I can't even keep up with this much spin.
Yeah, I'm about to throw up after being taking for a ride with that spin. It fucking sucked when Asura's Wrath blocked the real ending behind a paywall and it'd still suck now. Nintendo is holding a hard mode behind an amiibo on Day 1, it's not a Grounded mode situation (from TLoU) where the content was later developed and sold for the original release (and included in the future PS4 release), it's a mode already developed and in the cartridge that Nintendo is blocking behind a figure for whatever reason.

Shiggy

The game is going to bomb anyway. It's way too late for a game like this on the 3DS; that audience has moved on.

Shiggy

That's... not even slightly true.

It absolutely is, you won't see the game do well anymore on that platform. The hardcore fans buying Metroid games aren't on 3DS anymore. You could already observe that movement with the difference in sales between FE Fates and FE Echoes.

Feffe

No hard mode without the Amiibo? Okay no Metroid for me.

Fusion Mode is locked behind an amiibo. Nobody said anything about Hard Mode. I'm confident we'll be able to unlock Hard Mode just by beating the game, Fusion Mode will be the same thing with a reskinned Samus.

By they way, let's remember you had to have a GBA, a copy of Fusion and GCN-GBA cable to unlock the Fusion suit in Prime and two GBAs and the link cable to unlock the Fusion gallery in Zero Mission. So locking some extra content behind additional physical things is nothing new for Metroid.

Top Bottom