• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

smbu2000

I can open my Mark III this weekend and takr pictures.
Thank you. I would really appreciate that.
It is a bit tough to get a picture in with the silver "shielding?" cover there, but not too bad as it sticks up just a bit. I just took mine off to try and get the clearest shot I could.

My favourite Sega console! Looks like an 80s sci-fi prop. Unfortunately the composite is bad and you'll need this for RGB:

https://nintendosegajapan.com/2015/...xternal-rgb-amplifier-with-fm-audio-break-in/

Funny how Sega consoles went in colour:

White
White
White
Black
Black
Grey/White
White
Yeah, I had seen that page when I was searching around for info about why the video output didn't look that good.
I did find a JP21 RGB cable for it with a built in amp on Yahoo Auctions JP from a seller who makes cables. It's about 5000 yen, which isn't too bad. I've purchased a few cables from him over the years (MD/SMS, Saturn rgb cables as well as an adapter for the AV multi plug on my Sony Wega CRT to allow standard JP21 to plug in) and they are all great cables.

Anyway, I'm debating on whether to purchase it or not. Considering my JP SMS works just fine for me with my current cables, I'm still undecided. Plus it already has built-in FM sound.
I do like the look of the system!

You weren't kidding that it was difficult to get a good picture under the shielding. It looks like you're missing a metal clip that locks the switch in place.

Check this out.

Jc7gd1G.jpg

This reminded me that I still need to mod my FM unit for RGB.

By the way, did you get your Mark 3 from Super Potato in Osaka. I almost bought one for about that price when I was there in April but they talked me out of it.

smbu2000

You weren't kidding that it was difficult to get a good picture under the shielding. It looks like you're missing a metal clip that locks the switch in place.

Check this out.

This reminded me that I still need to mod my FM unit for RGB.

By the way, did you get your Mark 3 from Super Potato in Osaka. I almost bought one for about that price when I was there in April but they talked me out of it.
Thank you very much! That gave me a good look at how it is supposed to work.

I tried to copy it by bending a metal piece in a similar way, but I couldn't quite get it to work right.
I ended up using a folded up twisty tie that I had. Pushing it in works fine and it stays on until I push it the other way and it goes into the off position.

If anybody is interested in it.
On position:
BYSkXl9.jpg

Off position:
0SS29T2.jpg

It works out nicely and I didn't have any problems with it staying on (and turning off when I want it off.)
hMuykkm.jpg

Success!
XIT5p2d.jpg

and back together.
LvW540F.jpg
Now I just need to get some replacement screws to keep the top attached to the bottom.

No, I didn't get mine at Super Potato. There is a Super Potato in my city (Nagoya in Aichi Prefecture), but I usually prefer to try and find stuff at other places as I can usually find better deals elsewhere.

I picked this one up from a local used store chain, a few locations in the city and others around Aichi. I check for stuff at different locations and I've been able to get some good deals.

That Majong game is just a leftover board as I used the cart shell for my Everdrive. Game still works though, so I can use it for testing stuff.

Glad you got it sorted out. Let me know what stores are good in Nagoya area. I'm going to try to fit a little in on my next trip this January.

Khaz

I don't knew about this Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2 homebrew that was just release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rLXV-41OQg

alexkidd2-810x400.png.webp

I'd buy it if it were available, it looks great.

IF they sorted out the controls. Action and Jump being inverted in the original cartridge release messes with my flow.

Bit weird to go with the "2" for a fan game though, every other fan game use a subtitle or straight up change the title. It feels as if they are trying to shoehorn their fan game into the official series.

IrishNinja

can someone look at the SMS FM board installation guide & tell me if it'd be hard to get the region part connected? i have the FM part of the switch going good thanks to a friend, but again its looking like the region part either came loose or wasn't hooked up

I don't knew about this Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2 homebrew that was just release:

oh shit, it's out? i was just watching that implantgames video on alex kidd last night & getting stressed watching someone else play it....down for this, when my nerves are up! grabbing now

can someone look at the SMS FM board installation guide & tell me if it'd be hard to get the region part connected? i have the FM part of the switch going good thanks to a friend, but again its looking like the region part either came loose or wasn't hooked up

oh shit, it's out? i was just watching that implantgames video on alex kidd last night & getting stressed watching someone else play it....down for this, when my nerves are up! grabbing now

Master System looks like it would be really easy to mod. Glancing at that page, it looks like it would be a pretty simple job.

This looks great. Love that they removed Janken. Janken is the worst.

Khaz

It's a relatively easy job, your friend should be able to do it. it's more destructive than audio mixing, so requires extra caution (whether in lifting the pin or cutting the right trace), but the job itself is easy. I would recommend cutting the trace if he has never done either: find a spot where the trace is away from other traces, and check the continuity after every few strokes.

Did you get a confirmation from your friend that he didn't do that part of the guide? Have you opened your console to check the wires?

Cogwheels

Neo Member
Are there any worthwhile third party controllers for the SMS? I've just picked up a 60hz + RGB modded SMS2 for a bargain price but it doesn't have a pad and I'm not sure I want to pay lots of money for a crusty second hand one :)

Just updated my Mega Everdrive firmware to version 3.0.4

Before loading an SMS game, simply hit C then go to options, scroll down and toggle YM2413 to "On" and bob's your uncle: FM music!

D.Lo

I swear I've been punished for getting Everdrives too early so many times now. I got a Mega Everdrive back when there was only one version.

Well I can probably sell it on ebay and upgrade...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
From RetroRGB: Mega Everdrive FPGA FM Sound vs Hardware Alternatives

This video compares the original MK-2000 SMS to db Electronic's Power Base FM (both use a YM2413 chip for the sound) and the Mega Everdrive x7, which is using necronomfive's FPGA code for the FM sound. The low-pass filtering on both newer solutions makes a big difference in quality over the original console!

I'll have direct wav captures uploaded soon, so people can hear without YouTube compression issues. Please consider this just a "basic" comparison to give you a general idea of what it will sound like. As with all audio, your personal setup will greatly affect the quality.

OL25P63.gif

I've been in the market ever since this happened so I'm glad that there's even more reason to get a new everdrive. Although the X7 is labeled as "Use Sparingly" so I might just stick with my hardware FM chip. We'll see when black friday hits.

OL25P63.gif

I've been in the market ever since this happened so I'm glad that there's even more reason to get a new everdrive. Although the X7 is labeled as "Use Sparingly" so I might just stick with my hardware FM chip. We'll see when black friday hits.
Remember that Krikkz had tested these things for hundreds of hours without having issues!

IrishNinja

it's done! my buddy got the JP switch going, I now see the mark III logo & this paddle control works perfect - tonight's all about Megumi Rescue & Alex Kidd BMX, with some Woody Pop in between!

so, so much love to my man Laevateinn again here

D.Lo

Nice work, such a unique vibe, Sega 8-bit games, primarily due to the specific look and sounds from the hardware, and so it's really cool to dive into the great Japan-only releases. It's similar to me to getting into the top-tier Japan-only Famicom games, it's so great to play period stuff that is basically brand new to you, but in the exact style of the games of your childhood.

IrishNinja

^exactly! I can't stop playing BMX cause kid Irish can't get over there being a whole Alex Kidd game I never played

also as a firefighter in training, Megumi is a particular treat

haven't tried Galactic Protector yet, gonna try OutRun with this too

it's done! my buddy got the JP switch going, I now see the mark III logo & this paddle control works perfect - tonight's all about Megumi Rescue & Alex Kidd BMX, with some Woody Pop in between!

so, so much love to my man Laevateinn again here

<3 glad to see it finally working. Hopefully I can find another the next time I go.

Krorg

Are there any worthwhile third party controllers for the SMS? I've just picked up a 60hz + RGB modded SMS2 for a bargain price but it doesn't have a pad and I'm not sure I want to pay lots of money for a crusty second hand one :)
I just use a 6 button mega drive controller. It works for most games.

Saoshyant

Do you wanna hear about the raddest piece of tech in microcomputing?? Forget your Commodore 64, that's garbage. ZX Spectrum, what the christ. No, buddy, you wanna play with power.

Introducing the Sega Computer Three Thousand&#8482;!

Look at that! It plays games! It lets your little sister make music! It lets your dad do finances! Wow!

Look at this sexy mechanical keyboard:

So, what we got here? A MSX comparable, 8-bit micro computer that is basically a SG-1000 (the first Sega console) with a keyboard strapped on it. It actually doesn't do much until you put in the BASIC cart.

Let's load this, baby:

Heaven knows who those MITEC guys were (I actually did try to find out more about them), but they made several revisions of their BASIC software for this system and this is the last one, BASIC Level 3-B with an amazing 32KB of RAM to store your programs and then save them to tape.

This here's a French model, released by a company called Yeno (also gone) and, like all other PAL SC-3000 systems, with full RGB support because SCART was a thing in France and the rest of Europe got it as a bonus. They were nearly impossible to be found in my country -- and I would know, I had been looking for years -- so I used ebay.fr and found some helpful sellers willing to ship things here, and bought two lots. One with two carts, boxed SC-3000H and a joystick, and one with four carts and unboxed SC-3000, which you can see below:

The extra "H" stood for a more expensive version that had a mechanical keyboard. The standard version uses a membrane and feels terrible to type anything on it. They are otherwise equal.

These are the carts I got:

You'll note there's two BASIC carts and they look the same, except they are not. One is Level 3-A, which came with the standard SC-3000 and the other is Level 3-B, which came with the H model. The difference lies uniquely on RAM size. 3-A has 16KB and 3-B has 32KB, making the latter an obviously more expensive proposition, but one that is compatible with a vaster amount of software.

What about the games themselves? They are pretty 'uh'. Nothing exciting like we'd see on the Master System later on.

Tennis supports two players but it handles rather oddly since you don't use the fire buttons to hit the ball, the ball just moves to the other court depending on the angle your stick figure's racket touches it. Not bad, but not a system seller even back then.

Borderline I found it to better in theory than execution. Like, you are some sort of rambo guy on a jeep, moving past obstacles and dealing with enemy tanks, but in truth it's quite hard to handle the vehicle and so you'll lose your three lifes quite early and I don't think even memorization would help much here.

Yamato is some sort of battleship shooter. You try to shoot the incoming enemies. It gets harder as it goes on and it's not much fun in general. It wouldn't even beat the likes of Galaxian.

Monaco GP was my favorite of the bunch, which isn't saying much. There's a Famicom game called Road Fighter, which I'm not sure if you are familiar with, but this is basically the same concept: guide your car through obstacles and suicidal drivers. It looks nowhere as colorful as Road Fighter and, at points, you can't even tell what's going on. Stage 2 for instance has a part where it becomes night and you guide yourself only using your head lights, which is a fun concept, but it was basically three colors: black for the road, red for the car, and a yellow triangle for the lights -- I couldn't tell what was going on until I hit a car and realized "oh! it's night and I have to evade drivers who don't know what lights are, but of course!". Similarly, you will step on ice and lose control, but it's just a blue bar, so visually you have to step on it to know what it actually does. Not good game design, but I think the hardware is just that limited and couldn't do a better representation.

Finally, here's the joystick:

It's actually fairly decent and completely responsive in spite of its age. You can also use SMS controllers as an alternative.

So, all in all, I'm quite happy I finally managed to add this piece of Sega history into my collection. The games aren't anything most people would return to, but it'll probably be fun to try and fiddle with the BASIC interpreter and make some sort of mini game.

By 1984, only 120k units had been sold worldwide, so it's not surprising that finding working units more than thirty years later would be pretty hard. In fact, on the international Ebay the few SC-3000 units available are all very costly (over 300&#8364; and such). I'm clinically insane and of course decided the sane thing would be to buy two at once, but even I did it only because the two listings put together + their shipping was actually slightly under 200&#8364; in total because, as it turns out, France had more SC-3000 units than the rest of Europe put together due to Yeno -- the French just don't advertise it much if at all. So if you want one of these babies that would be one place to look into. Strangely, Egypt is the other one.

Nice haul! It's no SMS but there are good SG-1000/SC-3000 games. I like H.E.R.O., Girl's Garden, Bomb Jack, Penguin Land, Lode Runner, Congo Bongo and Gulkave.

D.Lo

I need to get a Basic cart. I have the SG1000 and SG1000 II and keyboard so the console equivalent, but have never used the keyboard due to no software!

Khaz

Heaven knows who those MITEC guys were (I actually did try to find out more about them), but they made several revisions of their BASIC software for this system and this is the last one, BASIC Level 3-B with an amazing 32KB of RAM to store your programs and then save them to tape.

I really enjoy my SC3000H. I wish I could enjoy using its BASIC more, but saving on tape ain't for me. The floppy disk add-on is real impossible to find too, it's a shame no one tried to clone it like for other more popular 8bit computers.

This here's a French model, released by a company called Yeno (also gone) and, like all other PAL SC-3000 systems, with full RGB support because SCART was a thing in France and the rest of Europe got it as a bonus. They were nearly impossible to be found in my country -- and I would know, I had been looking for years -- so I used ebay.fr and found some helpful sellers willing to ship things here, and bought two lots. One with two carts, boxed SC-3000H and a joystick, and one with four carts and unboxed SC-3000, which you can see below:

The video chip revision used in the YENO system outputs non-standard YUV at 50Hz: the cartridge games (all designed in Japan) are slowed down as a result. A cool trick is to simply swap the video chip for one that outputs 60Hz YUV to get your cartridge games full speed. The same mod cannot be applied to Japanese systems as they lack the YENO daughterboard that translates YUV into RGB.

(The timings may be slightly different from a real NTSC machine, as the oscillators aren't replaced. A CRT won't care, but it may give trouble to digital equipments like Framemeisters and modern TVs that want exact timings.)

The extra "H" stood for a more expensive version that had a mechanical keyboard. The standard version uses a membrane and feels terrible to type anything on it. They are otherwise equal.

Actually both are membrane keyboards, it's just that the H has real hard plastic keys instead of terrible rubber chiclet keys. It's much better to type on, though you would only worry about it if you wanted to do some serious programming.

Saoshyant

Nice haul! It's no SMS but there are good SG-1000/SC-3000 games. I like H.E.R.O., Girl's Garden, Bomb Jack, Penguin Land, Lode Runner, Congo Bongo and Gulkave.

Thanks. I have played Girl's Garden before on a Mega CD compilation and Congo Bongo on the PS3 Mega Drive Collection. I'm going to look into the others, too.

The video chip revision used in the YENO system outputs non-standard YUV at 50Hz: the cartridge games (all designed in Japan) are slowed down as a result. A cool trick is to simply swap the video chip for one that outputs 60Hz YUV to get your cartridge games full speed. The same mod cannot be applied to Japanese systems as they lack the YENO daughterboard that translates YUV into RGB.

(The timings may be slightly different from a real NTSC machine, as the oscillators aren't replaced. A CRT won't care, but it may give trouble to digital equipments like Framemeisters and modern TVs that want exact timings.)

I wasn't aware of this and now you piqued my curiosity quite a bit. Is there anywhere that describes this process (i.e. guide) or at least the parts needed?

Laws00

Got a FREE sega master system from one of my coworkers

Came with the light gun, 3D glasses and a couple of games will post later

I just need an AC adapter. The Sega model 1 works with it right?

Khaz

I wasn't aware of this and now you piqued my curiosity quite a bit. Is there anywhere that describes this process (i.e. guide) or at least the parts needed?

No guide, it's just something I tried when I realised the chips were very similar. The first thing to do is to read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TMS9918 to know more about the chips.

I can't guarantee it won't blew up your computer if you try it. I'm no professional modder nor electronics engineer, so I may very well have overlooked things. For one thing, I don't get how I didn't have to tamper with the clocks. I remember having colour problems for a while, the pots on the daughter board needed to be adjusted. The first chip I received from eBay was bust too, which didn't help. It was a lot of trial and error.

Laws00

found this online

the first revisions of the SMS had the snail game (it boots to an instruction guide, directing you to insert a cart, you press a button combination to get the snail maze game). The high end set included a separate cart with Hang-On/Safari Hunt.

Later on, the cart was replaced with Hang-On/Safari Hunt built into the system.

The Sega Master System II, had Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in

some of the later ones i read towards the end of its life on the system 2 had sonic the hedgehog

Top Bottom