• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nesbox developer creates HTML5 workaround for XB1

SOR5

71ebe41bca.jpg

OneDrive support is also coming, let's see what happens? This guy is determined.

tried earlier. would rather have a fullscreen app to be honest. going to need that dev mode emulator file asap.

kids on twitter are already porting GBA for their own personal use.

Rafus

It works! I hope he can add more features to this and make it work like a real emulator. Right now its a chip&dale emulation trough web browser. Nice start.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Wtf.....

Why allow it for Win10 but not xbox? It's the same store.. Any legal issues should apply to both not just one?

I'm not sure why people thought it would get through so easily, it might be the same store but I imagine Nintendo see the app on a general device PC store and an app on a store for a dedicated gaming device differently, I wouldn't be surprised if the guys at Xbox see it the same way and don't want to step on each other's toes in that sort of way.

RowdyReverb

Can you use it with the pad?
Yeah, d-pad, A, and B buttons. Start/Select are mapped to the shoulder buttons. It disables the cursor on the page so you only control the app.
Emulation is pretty smooth, but I wish there was a fullscreen option

Drain You

Correct. There are 16 slots, all containing Chip and Dale for now

Thats what I thought, I find it a bit odd whoever made this even did it like this. Why not wait till OneDrive support is added and not include this Chip and Dale game, seems like he'll just catch flak for it.

Trup1aya

Wtf.....

Why allow it for Win10 but not xbox? It's the same store.. Any legal issues should apply to both not just one?

It's not exactly the same store. They've always maintained that Games would need to go through id@xbox

Thats what I thought, I find it a bit odd whoever made this even did it like this. Why not wait till OneDrive support is added and not include this Chip and Dale game, seems like he'll just catch flak for it.

I'm pretty sure one drive was always going to be the method for loading ROMs. He's changing how to access the emulator so that he can circumvent the store. He's using chip n dale to test.

DorkyMohr

Banned
Odd choice of words

Assuming the letter of the law, you're telling me that there's a demand for a NES emulator for people who dumped their cartridges and have no other way to play those games other than on their several hundred dollar console in the web browser. I'd say that's desperate on part of the developer and the users.

Drain You

It's not exactly the same store. They've always maintained that Games would need to go through id@xbox

Someone in another thread also said it like this which makes a decent amount of sense. If you couldn't download it from the App store on Win10 most users would just download it from another source. By keeping it out of the Xbox Live Store they are keeping it off Xbox altogether.

RowdyReverb

Yeah. It's clear that the dev is seeking publicity for the project before it's achieved full functionality, but I'm not sure to what end. It seems like it'd be a better strategy to just wait until users had to provide their own ROMs at least

Het_Nkik

Nintendo will probably come and say "Hi" soon... as cool as a HTML5 NES emulator is.

Nintendo can't do a single thing legally to stop an html5 NES emulator. Emulators are legal.

Capcom and Disney might have something to say about that built-in ROM, though.

Well the emulator worked perfectly for me with snes games...its happening...what a brave new world!

Edit : only tested super mario world and i loaded the chrono trigger rom into the emulator...for later...without issue.

Cizard

Assuming the letter of the law, you're telling me that there's a demand for a NES emulator for people who dumped their cartridges and have no other way to play those games other than on their several hundred dollar console in the web browser. I'd say that's desperate on part of the developer and the users.

As this allows you to play these nes roms on any device that has a HTML5 browser, not just the Xbox I'd say yeah? Probably is demand for it. It doesn't have to be their only way to play the games for this to be an interesting option.

Either way if you hate piracy of these games so much (not sure if you hate it just talking in general) probably should focus more on sites that are actually offering the games rather than emulators which are perfectly legal.

LordRaptor

Either way if you hate piracy of these games so much (not sure if you hate it just talking in general) probably should focus more on sites that are actually offering the games rather than emulators which are perfectly legal.

What, like the site in OP linking to a Chip & Dale ROM?

Top Bottom