• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nesbox developer creates HTML5 workaround for XB1

I thought it was the preview program too but my friends are in it as well and it works for them. I even thought it was my elite controller so I connected a second controller and still nothing. I'll just send a message to the dev.

Are you sure you are hitting the menu button and selecting controller mode and not browser mode when on the emulator page? Keeping in mind only the d-pad works for directional input?

Defect

Are you sure you are hitting the menu button and selecting controller mode and not browser mode when on the emulator page? Keeping in mind only the d-pad works for directional input?
I tried everything multiple times :p . I even guided my friends to see if it would work for them and it did. I can't think of any reason why it isn't working for me.

Markew001

I tried everything multiple times :p . I even guided my friends to see if it would work for them and it did. I can't think of any reason why it isn't working for me.

Same. Switched between both modes multiple times. I'm able to pull the roms from onedrive but not able to switch between them or start them. No inputs do anything.

Hexer06

Played some Chrono Trigger and Super Mario 3 on this earlier. Worked good enough to play (some crackling audio was the only minor problem with CT). I just want Saves implemented and then it's go time! This guy is doing good work. I gave him a $5 donation cuz I think he deserves it for how quickly he's getting things done.

StillEdge

Just tried to show this off at home and the rom just wouldn't load. Sits on an infinite black screen :(

Maybe I just have the wrong files lol.

Head.spawn

The better question is this.

Is this original emulation or did this guy simply take an existing OS emulator and modify it and claimed it as his own?

Coincidentally timed with Retroarch web release.
http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-web-player/#more-45213

This webpage has their NES browser emulation page shown from over three years ago.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-websites-to-play-nes-games-for-free-through-the-browser/

Open source too?:
https://github.com/nesbox?tab=overview&from=2016-08-01&to=2016-08-31&utf8=✓

Waybackmachine shows the demo of the current webbrowser emulator throughout the year too. so, maybe coincidence?

Just tried to show this off at home and the rom just wouldn't load. Sits on an infinite black screen :(

Maybe I just have the wrong files lol.

This has happened to me a couple times, all you have to do is refresh the page and try again. When your sending the roms to onedrive make sure its one of the supported formats. Also when you click one drive make sure you click the cloud not the letters, ive had it go fullscreen instead of go to onedrive lol it deff has some quirks but after an hour or two of solid testing you learn pretty much all of the kinks. At this point im having essentially no issues switching between rb6 seige and punchout inbetween rounds.

Got it working, it's full speed and awesome... but the controls are inverted and unfixable and thus unplayable...
He said he's adding button mapping soon. Everything he's claimed to be doing "soon" has happened in like five days or less. On his coming soon list are:
- two player support
- fixed GB/GBA support
- save support
- button mapping

I believe the snes controls are how you'd expect but on nes, the a and b buttons are opposite of what your muscle memory tells you they should be right now. Dev says button mapping is coming soon.

Nope, it's incorrect on SNES as well. (A is B, X is Y). I managed to get to the second world of super mario world... A couple things to note besides is there is probably 150-200ms of added lag. It's completely playable, but I died in mario world to things I've never died to before... but would be completely negligible in any RPGs or non-platformers. Also as a few people have noted there can be the occasional sound stutter. It's not super common, I got it maybe once every couple minutes or so and it was rarely more than one or two stutters.

It's also using a faster SNES core (likely snes9x) as it's base, so the music is off, but no more so than they were in emulators back in the day.

Once saves and controller support is there, it's going to be a fun thing to mess around with.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Why couldn't you have an emulator that you load up into dropbox or something? I have a few of our Unity demos on my dropbox that play through the browser. That way you technically can't have the emulator taken down since its just running through an online file server.

Nope, it's incorrect on SNES as well. (A is B, X is Y). I managed to get to the second world of super mario world... A couple things to note besides is there is probably 150-200ms of added lag. It's completely playable, but I died in mario world to things I've never died to before... but would be completely negligible in any RPGs or non-platformers. Also as a few people have noted there can be the occasional sound stutter. It's not super common, I got it maybe once every couple minutes or so and it was rarely more than one or two stutters.

It's also using a faster SNES core (likely snes9x) as it's base, so the music is off, but no more so than they were in emulators back in the day.

Once saves and controller support is there, it's going to be a fun thing to mess around with.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 200ms is 2 entire seconds. This emulator is not that laggy for me at all. It's just as responsive as my raspberry pi

Why couldn't you have an emulator that you load up into dropbox or something? I have a few of our Unity demos on my dropbox that play through the browser. That way you technically can't have the emulator taken down since its just running through an online file server.

That is essentially what this is.

The emulator already is available to be embedded into any website, this version is just specifically tailored to work on the x-box one. I can imagine once he's gotten it to a managable state he'll just release it for anyone to set up either locally or on their own website.

josh924

Banned
None of the Super NES ROMS I tried work. They're all from a huge pack of SNES ROMs I got a few years ago and some of them are labeled (E), (U), (J), which I'm assuming are region codes. I'm mentioning it for in case it helps with any advice you guys might have.

Edit: None of the NES ROMs I downloaded just now work either. It keeps saying something about an action being aborted.

None of the Super NES ROMS I tried work. They're all from a huge pack of SNES ROMs I got a few years ago and some of them are labeled (E), (U), (J), which I'm assuming are region codes. I'm mentioning it for in case it helps with any advice you guys might have.

Edit: None of the NES ROMs I downloaded just now work either. It keeps saying something about an action being aborted.

SNES games must end in .smc to work. I imagine NES roms must be .nes and all must not be zipped.

amdb00mer

I tested this out. Not too bad. I do hate the big white background. Hopefully he can code in a customer background or make it black.

josh924

Banned
SNES games must end in .smc to work. I imagine NES roms must be .nes and all must not be zipped.

Check and check. I tried out one or two SNES games on the W10 app and they worked fine (though I didn't try anything other than booting them up). I didn't try any NES games, but I can only assume that they work fine as well; I can't imagine why they don't work on Microsoft Edge on my XB1.

https://twitter.com/nesboxcom/status/777914609810497536
"next build changes: new ui, saves, GB fix, two gamepads, maybe something else"

Should be coming in the next 2-3 days. Can't wait! :D

Fun fact...thats me on twitter (Timbnett).. people have been have been posting this all over the place, saw it on the front page of Xbox one reddit :p more on topic, good to see this dev putting so much work into his product. Love to see somebody who is truly passionate about what they do.

I tested this out. Not too bad. I do hate the big white background. Hopefully he can code in a customer background or make it black.

There is a fullscreen button right next to the onedrive upload button.. makes it perfect fullscreen for me and ive seen it working for others as well.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=nesbox+xbox+one&espv=2&biw=1299&bih=646&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis78Pqwp3PAhVh6IMKHb4JBCcQ_AUICCgD#imgrc=u4KsjupuGMbkpM%3A
Quick google search yielded this

Edit:
and this http://i0.wp.com/www.showmetech.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Nesbox.jpg?resize=700%2C524 ..clearer

Hexer06

Fun fact...thats me on twitter (Timbnett).. people have been have been posting this all over the place, saw it on the front page of Xbox one reddit :p more on topic, good to see this dev putting so much work into his product. Love to see somebody who is truly passionate about what they do.

Haha Nice :D. Yeah I saw it on reddit, but didn't see anything mentioned here on GAF so I figured I'd post it :p. Thx for asking the question, cuz this was my main "complaint" about the emulator right now. Love the work this guy is doing already. Once saves are implemented, I kinda worry I'll be playing old school games more than current gen games, lol.

Update will be out this Friday

Short Videos of the new interface

https://twitter.com/nesboxcom/status/778907625555714048
https://twitter.com/nesboxcom/status/778157272262377474

The direct OneDrive integration is really great. No need for that seperate page to load up.

New update looks amazing, Xbox one is actually becoming the all in one gaming console it was pitched as thanks to devs like this. Hopefully since nesbox appears to be operating out of Belarus (according to the twitter) the emulator will be testable later tonight for me :p

josh924

Banned
Check and check. I tried out one or two SNES games on the W10 app and they worked fine (though I didn't try anything other than booting them up). I didn't try any NES games, but I can only assume that they work fine as well; I can't imagine why they don't work on Microsoft Edge on my XB1.

I found out the problem: nesbox doesn't work with InPrivate browsing, or it didn't when I tried it a few days ago.

So, is it normal that I'm automatically signed into OneDrive when I load up a ROM or should I be worried?

Edit: Looks like auto sign-in is normal.

Edit 2: Looks like save states are stored to cookies rather than to a server. Guess that should've been obvious.

I found out the problem: nesbox doesn't work with InPrivate browsing, or it didn't when I tried it a few days ago.

So, is it normal that I'm automatically signed into OneDrive when I load up a ROM or should I be worried?

Edit: Looks like auto sign-in is normal.

Edit 2: Looks like save states are stored to cookies rather than to a server. Guess that should've been obvious.
On Twitter he's saying that as long as you don't clear the browser cache, saves will be stored. He said he's working on a way to store the saves on OneDrive for the "next version." Pretty great!

On Twitter he's saying that as long as you don't clear the browser cache, saves will be stored. He said he's working on a way to store the saves on OneDrive for the "next version." Pretty great!

Tested it, works exponentially better then the previous build. I would be completely happy with the emulator as is, currently loaded up over 20 roms, had no problems saving state, hard closing edge browser and reloading the browser, emulator. roms and save states. The fact that this guy is continuing to support it and is pushing updates out so fast is stellar. Will continue to donate as long as features continue to get added and from what i can tell several online appear to be doing the same.

josh924

Banned

It's cool that he's working on saving to OneDrive because saving to cookies is not working for me at all. As soon as I close the window or browser, everything's gone, even though I checked the box to allow cookies to be stored on my XB1. What am I doing wrong this time?

It's cool that he's working on saving to OneDrive because saving to cookies is not working for me at all. As soon as I close the window or browser, everything's gone, even though I checked the box to allow cookies to be stored on my XB1. What am I doing wrong this time?
I'm excited for the OneDrive save support too. The save states have been working for me (did you press lb&rb and then "a" on "save state?"), but at the same time, I'd love them to be a little more secure.

Had a blast over the weekend with Super Tennis. Was surprised that some of the games I was most excited to dig into didn't really hold up as much as I'd hoped. But that one was a blast from the first serve. Love the unnecessary "Change Court" Mode 7 graphics.

Top Bottom