• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Haven't played in awhile. What's the word on the umbrella gun? I suck with it, hardcore. Been trying to do well for the past 2 hours. Should I practise more or does it just suck?

How are we ahead of schedule when they got 3 new maps in the first month?
It was stated above, but I wanted to post actual numbers: Splatoon started with 5 maps. 5. Those 3 map updates in the first month just brought the count to where Splatoon 2 launched. Any more and we'd be ahead. (Not that that's a bad thing...)

Bulbasaur

Banned
So not even Splatoon is safe from this gender debate. Every post in my hub is text about it. Whatever happened to the water-tight Miiverse censoring?

Haven't played in awhile. What's the word on the umbrella gun? I suck with it, hardcore. Been trying to do well for the past 2 hours. Should I practise more or does it just suck?

I think its pretty good. It's useful for support in Tower control and Rainmaker. Lots of fun too.

Painting is indeed a problem with Clash, but it's a problem largely shared among the whole class (albeit the Clash is arguably the worst of them from the straight perspective of covering un-inked turf consistently). If you want to form a line to swim through, you need to fire at least two shots before you start to swim or else you'll wind up with patches missing. I wrote a nice post a few pages ago that breaks down how it compares to the other blasters inking-wise.

It's an...interesting weapon. I wouldn't call it strong, but I believe that labeling it as the worst-designed weapon in the entire series isn't fair to it either. You don't want to go trying to solo base-invade with it or anything given its inking deficiency, but the fast fire rate gives it a certain other maneuverability that the other non-Rapid blasters lack, and between that and using splat bombs wisely it's not so hard to keep fights on your terms. Its blast AoE is near or just slightly smaller than the regular blaster, but I believe it's a little larger than rapid blaster bursts, and the quick firing rate makes it very useful for catching people around corners or racking up damage on grouped-up enemies. The entire kit is built around the ability to apply pressure and harass opponents from around and through cover. It punishes anything in the not-quite-Splattershot range i.e. Aerospray, Octobrush, Splash and Sploosh. Stingray isn't the strongest special by any means and I do think it's an odd fit for a weapon that otherwise brings you closer to the front than not, but it too can shine against enemies you can't otherwise move in on.

It's definitely a ranked weapon more than a turf war weapon, and even then definitely something that works more as a complimentary piece to something else rather than a weapon to try and carry with, as having someone else to help clean up ink while you cover/harass opens up your options a lot more. For now it's filling a hole for me that was formed out of my huge disappointment with the default Blaster and its kit (which is even harder to try and get in on anyone with even with its better ink-trails) and despite its flaws I'm still happy it's here.

The original game's Custom Jr, and this game's Goo Tuber are both worse-designed anyway.

The kit has no synergy. Because of the horrific mobility with it due to lack of ink coverage, its practical usage is extremely selective and entirely dependent on your team's ability to provide you ink to move in. As a result, the player using the Clash becomes dead weight when trying to approach a large area of enemy ink or if spawn camped. Supposedly the idea is to throw a bomb to force them to approach you and then you use your remaining ink to kill with the Clash. The problem with this though is that most players will retreat when a bomb is thrown at them because they have ink behind them and even if they approach forward, the low damage output and high ink consumption of the Clash makes killing very inconsistent. The concept behind the Clash is to be a wall / anti-flanking tool that cannot be approached or make that player a mobile turret that can lock down a path while still being able change their position to suit the user's needs. However with the terrible mobility and lacking a complimentary sub weapon / special, it can't do either effectively.

This is very similar to another weapon but one that handles its shortcomings far better: the Sploosh o Matic. The Sploosh has terrible range so it can't win in any painting war and can only kill if it is up close. As such, it's meant to be a flanking tool. To compliment this it gets the Curling Bomb that cuts a straight path for it to swim in, greatly increasing its mobility to perform faster flanks. The beakon for the Neo kit makes sense in that you use the beakons to do the flanking for you as a entry point behind the enemy team.

The Clash Blaster desperately needs the Curling Bomb so it can get to a useful position to make use of its rapid fire lock down potential and to help it escape someone getting too close like the Sploosh does. The alternative Sub that would work with it would be the Autobomb as throwing it behind your target would make them more likely to run forward into your blaster fire rather the Splat Bomb making them retreat. Hell, a Splash Wall would be better as it would give some protection while it fires off those two shots it needs to form a pitifully short trial of ink that the Luna's one shot dwarfs. As is, the horrible mobility, short range, poor kill power, and high ink consumption make this weapon fail at every aspect it wants to do. If you want to lock down a path or block flankers, the Rapid does this better and at a safer distance. It may not kill at that range, but it keeps the enemy at bay which is also important. If you want to be aggressive and apply pressure in the method unique to blasters and their explosions, the Luna paints better, has a better special, and kills faster as do the Sloshers.

The kits have already been set so unless we get a third kit down the line like we did in Splatoon 1 for some weapons, the Clash needs a buff to make its droplets form a line at the very least before it can be considered remotely useful. Until then, it's a joke and a forced meme at best.

Also the Jr. was probably my best weapon in Splatoon 1. It was incredibly aggressive and the Bubbler protected it from ambushes and botched flanks. The Custom Jr. was poor but its concept was a pure support kit as it could paint escape routes for the front line, the Disrupter would make it easier for front line members to kill, and the Ecolactor's benefits were obvious. The Goo Tuber is really bad but I can at least see what the team was going for with it. You throw a Suction Bomb, charge a shot during the long cook time the Suction Bomb has, and then pursue the enemy running from the bomb while holding a charge in your ink to capitalize on your target's confusion at suddenly changing positions. The Clash Blaster can't effectively do any of its conceptual roles and there are already plenty weapons that fill those roles, do them better, and are more proficient at the fundamental aspects of the game.

Estoc

I really like the umbrella even though I'm terrible with it.

Since it's not exactly good in any one category, you are better off using it alongside your other teammates, than to be rushing in on your own. I found it to be very effective in teamplay, you can open your umbrella to be used as a shield, the flying umbrella can be used as a distraction whether you travel along with it or not.

It's a technical weapon that provides more tactical options than the other weapons.

spiritfox

Saw this on twitter. Don't know if it was posted. Really cool fan edit.

DHlEZc9UIAA9LNn.jpg:large

Yo I need that ponytail. Nintendo hair DLC pls.

Kangi

Guy in turf war squidbags endlessly after killing me. Game ends with a crushing victory, check and see he managed 400 whole points and that kill was almost his only one. The kicker? Level 49. Dude must've ruined a whole lotta matches for people.

Mediking

Guy in turf war squidbags endlessly after killing me. Game ends with a crushing victory, check and see he managed 400 whole points and that kill was almost his only one. The kicker? Level 49. Dude must've ruined a whole lotta matches for people.

Most people who have really high levels just like to troll and goof around. Its how they keep from getting bored while still supporting the game.

stack

Neo Member
Do you think it's possible that we get some improvements in terms of the net code?
Apart from huge amount of disconnects, many users report issues occurring during the gameplay.

bomma_man

Man I've changed so much from when S1 came out. I literally smashed my gamepad out of frustration with teammates in turf war. Now I'm just like "oh well" and just do my best. If I feel like I'm getting frustrated I just quit. I'm still not sure I'm ready for ranked though.

stack

Neo Member
Man I've changed so much from when S1 came out. I literally smashed my gamepad out of frustration with teammates in turf war. Now I'm just like "oh well" and just do my best. If I feel like I'm getting frustrated I just quit. I'm still not sure I'm ready for ranked though.

Even if you're not quite ready, people in ranked are neither.

Cartho

wow, grillers on high tide is some bulllshit. survived only by jetpacking off the side and hovering for a while.

In my opinion tigh tide in general feels a bit bullshitty. I groan as soon as I see it as it feels enormously RnG whether you will get through it - high tide + grillers or steel eels is fricking ridiculous and some weapon sets make it even worse.

I actually think that SR is too difficult overall at early stages. I have no issue with it ramping up to insane levels but right now it feels very, very difficult right from the off. The difficulty curve is all over the shop and it seems incredibly dependent on quite random factors.

You don't have to do those, the prize is like 10 power eggs. The only hub puzzles you have to do involve finding a path to the kettle.

You get stickers for the scroll book from one balloon puzzle in each sector as well. So far they aren't hard it's just learning the placement and timing of shooting. I recommend the Hero Charger for them as distance can be an issue.

But yea not necessary for progression so they are easy enough to ignore.

MouldyK

I just found out you can team up with friends on Salmon Run and then search for randoms...

...this changes so much of my life! Me and my friend can get demoted together now!

If I see a Flyfish appear at high tide on the side of the map with the walkways leading to that one spot of inkable land, I know we're going to fail that wave:

It's extremely hard to take on solo because:

- The only patch of land you can refill ink is underneath it
- There's a ramp to the left where enemies constantly spawn in from
- You can only walk away from it as it's a metal grate
- The only patch of 'ground' is small enough that if it starts firing you're fucked

Impossible to take on all of the smaller enemies, then have enough space to refill ink, then throw off the grenade before it all starts again. Genuinely think that's poor design and despise it every time it happens.

The ๖ۜBronx;246531114 said:
If I see a Flyfish appear at high tide on the side of the map with the walkways leading to that one spot of inkable land, I know we're going to fail that wave:

- The only patch of 'ground' is small enough that if it starts firing you're fucked

Impossible to take on all of the smaller enemies, then have enough space to refill ink, then throw off the grenade before it all starts again. Genuinely think that's poor design and despise it every time it happens.

Been a while since I got a high tide with a Flyfish at far grates when I'm without Sting Ray (I guess I'm lucky), but there's a spot a bit before that you can use to refill ink. That spot iirc is close enough to bomb Flyfish from, but far enough that you won't take a frying pan to the face immediately. Just don't attempt to pick up the eggs afterwards. That -always- leads to trouble.

Branduil

Unless you have a Sting Ray or somehow have everything else taken care of, it's really best to just ignore Fly Fish that spawn there if you can. I guess you could also try to kill it if you have the Ink Jet but the hit box for that is iffy as fuck.

Koren

Man I know everybody plays online but...

I really love the story mode.
No, I'm cut from the internet for the week (well, beside phone, and not decent enough to use it as access point) and I play a bit offline. I don't like it as much as Splatoon 1, though (or it's because the screen is small)

DjRalford

Yup, fucking garbage

10 games, 9 fucking losses, every game either all the lower levels with me, who might as well be lemmings, or left with 2 of us due to other people DC'ing or sitting idle.

There needs to be a proper reporting function for people sitting idle, and they really need to sort matchmaking out, I shouldn't be expected to carry a team of sub lvl 10's against a team of 30's & 40's, just sucks all the fun out of it watching my wins / losses get destroyed until the game deems me to have lost enough for it to stop putting me with teams of garbage.

Duffk1ng

Took a little while away from this as I was frustrated at how bad my teams were regularly and it was hurting my enjoyment.

I can't believe that in the week or so I've been away, the standard has just dropped off the world's smallest cliff. It's astonishing how my teams are unable to make any impact on a game even after I get 3 kills back to back. Most don't even reach 700 points it feels like.

Duffk1ng

Just seems to be a chronic inability for some players to get near the middle of the map regardless of how many people are alive on the other team. Its way too frequent that I feel like find myself alone when the other team is all dead. I really shouldn't play turf war, it drives me up the wall for so many reasons.

There was a person in turf war with me recently who definitely played the whole game (not a DC) and got SUB 100 POINTS every game. Like 92 points, 70 points, etc.

Like ??????????

Junahu

The ๖ۜBronx;246531114 said:

Cripple it with one bomb, then run away. You can always come back later to finish the job. But more importantly, there are bigger fish to fry than a Flyfish with one missile bay, and it's absolutely never worth getting killed in such a remote location.

Even for sensibly placed Flyfish, you shouldn't just sit there waiting for its payload.
One bomb, leave, always.
Yes, even if you can one-cycle it, you're sacrificing your entire ink-supply in the process

Duffk1ng

If you hit one early it's pretty easy to refill ink and hit the other side as well though, which can be useful quite often if your team is only paying attention to the other side of the map.

Now, I wonder if I can make it to 400 one of these days...

The answer is yes.

The majority of that was from freelancing. Wouldn't recommend it--playing with the folks on GAF makes for a much more consistent ride up.

Not sure if there is much need or use for this, but I made a big ol' picture of the Salmon Run Employee Handbook. Good info on the basics.
I still haven't read it lol

Will also be making one for the Salmonid Field Guide.

Doorman

I'm only in B for rainmaker so maybe it's different in higher ranks

but GOD DAMN the clash blaster in rainmaker

Nah man that can't be right, I read that it's a total joke weapon and the worst thing in the game bar none with no redeeming qualities
/s

Now that I think about it, I still don't think I've bought the Tentatek Splattershot. I wonder if I can or should just go through the entire game without ever doing so. Felt like I got my fill of it during the preview splatfest, enough to know that it's extremely strong and also extremely boring. Doesn't help that inkjet has become one of those weapons/specials for me where the game just seems to decide that my shots don't do any damage, so I can blast away at someone stuck in my ink with three shots right on them and somehow the AoE just doesn't work whatsoever. It immediately hampers my enjoyment of a lot of the more popular kits that currently use it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I finally get to S rank for splat zone and proceed to lose 6 straight and I'm about to go back to A+ ;_;.

Edit: Finally won a game. At least I won one S rank game before losing rank.

DjRalford

I finally get to S rank for splat zone and proceed to lose 6 straight and I'm about to go back to A+ ;_;.

Edit: Finally won a game. At least I won one S rank game before losing rank.

I can't even get out of B+, fucking nublets everywhere, just gone down to B thanks to shit teams for 5 straight games

Make that 6 straight games FUUUUUUCCCKKKKK SAKKEEEE

Nope, 7, fuck it, I'm not playing anymore.

Top Bottom