• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Users with a Switch Pro controller, can we try a quick test?

samred

just tried this while going back and forth relatively slowly with my Pro d-pad using both of my thumbs and had the same issues as others here. I tested this last week while moving my thumbs REALLY quickly, but the fact that it did this while going quite slowly seemed like a PPTetris nightmare. I called Nintendo Customer Service and explained what happened. The very friendly rep said, "yeah, send that in and we'll repair." my shipping label has overnight status and everything.

the rep asked, "what games do you play on your Switch?" as like a standard customer-service question. I laughed. "all of them."

CO_Andy

Just did some testing with Guilty Gear Xrd and Street Fighter V. The dpad has a lot of trouble with registering diagonal presses. Like i'm pressing up left/right and i'm jumping up in the air rather than jumping backwards or forward.

just tried this while going back and forth relatively slowly with my Pro d-pad using both of my thumbs and had the same issues as others here. I tested this last week while moving my thumbs REALLY quickly, but the fact that it did this while going quite slowly seemed like a PPTetris nightmare. I called Nintendo Customer Service and explained what happened. The very friendly rep said, "yeah, send that in and we'll repair." my shipping label has overnight status and everything.

the rep asked, "what games do you play on your Switch?" as like a standard customer-service question. I laughed. "all of them."

Please let us know when you get the repaired device back if there are any improvements or not!

Any puzzle game that you are good at or any rhythm game that uses the dpad as inputs.

Like I said before something like Daigasso Band Brothers (Jam with the Band) on the DS would be absolutely impossible to play with this Dpad.

Maybe mine just doesn't have the problem. I tested it with puyo puyo and Tetris and zero mispresses. Nothing with shovel knight either.

Blarg

Neo Member
Maybe mine just doesn't have the problem. I tested it with puyo puyo and Tetris and zero mispresses. Nothing with shovel knight either.

Interesting. Would you say you've used it a lot? I've almost exclusively used my Pro controller since day 1, so I wonder if wear has any effect or if it really just is a defect in some of the controllers.

Vitacat

Mine was from launch night, and DOES have this problem.

I noticed it playing BOTW because sometimes when I pressed right to change my weapon it would show the rune change list instead.

I just tested pressing all the directions, and what I noticed is that if you hold down any direction and gently rock it it will generate other directions, i.e. hold right, gently rock it up/down and it will produce up/down inputs. Please note, this is NOT the same as pressing a diagonal.

Basically, I suspect it was done this way to make diagonals easier, because some past Nintendo dpads have been bad at diagonals. I could be wrong though.

I guess I may need to send it in. I'm also game to fix it myself if it's not too hard. Not sure what the solution would be, maybe a higher center divot?

Anyone who does send it in for repair, PLEASE report back ASAP. I'm especially curious about what exactly they do to fix it. I've fixed other controllers of mine in the past, and often it's not that hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiNLOMGYBGc

GameXplain talk about it a little 39 minutes in... Seems like they've experienced it in Zelda and Shovel Knight but haven't really tested it extensively as Andre says he tested it in the configuration screen and it seems to register it correctly. Hopefully he sees this and does a video of doing the configuration screen properly, testing the inputs in different ways. He mentions this topic (or maybe the other one?) so there's a good chance he will see this.

Blarg

Neo Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiNLOMGYBGc

GameXplain talk about it a little 39 minutes in... Seems like they've experienced it in Zelda and Shovel Knight but haven't really tested it extensively as Andre says he tested it in the configuration screen and it seems to register it correctly. Hopefully he sees this and does a video of doing the configuration screen properly, testing the inputs in different ways. He mentions this topic (or maybe the other one?) so there's a good chance he will see this.

Good to hear. Wouldn't want this issue to go unnoticed.

gweemz

I've noticed a problem, but only sometimes, when holding down in botw to do the inf. stamina trick, that it will trigger the weapon select screen (right on the dpad). Other times it is perfectly fine and i dont have the issue at all. I am wondering if there is a connection issue when the controller syncs when coming out of sleep mode that is causing a problem.

Neol

Was able to find one today to much joy but after playing with it for awhile the up input problem on the d-pad feels pretty apparent. Fast dropped unintentionally in puyo puyo tetris and used the magic spell numerous times in shovel knight when unintended.

It honestly just seems the up input is very sensitive with the slightest slide of the finger triggering it. Gonna try to exchange it tomorrow to see if its just the one I picked up but feel like there won't be any stock left so probably gonna return it.

Shame cause the controller itself feels good and the gyro works very well with aiming. Hopefully when splatoon 2 comes out Nintendo will fix this issue and I'll be able to pick one up again.

Nosgotham

Not having the issue with mine. Can go very rapidly. Never had an incorrect input either. Thank God. That drive me crazy on 360

Not sure what to do with mine. Last day to return it to Amazon, but with the low stock availability I likely won't be able to replace it with another to see if it's any better. If I keep it and send it to Nintendo for repair or replacement, then I'm stuck with it if it really is a design flaw.

edit: Tried to start a repair online with Nintendo and they told me my serial # wasn't eligible and to call them. I'd have to wait until tomorrow to do it and I don't particularly want to deal with someone on the phone about this either, so back to Amazon it goes.

Seik

Banned
I definitely have the issue, the controls are everywhere, I noticed it day 1 when I bought it this week.

What's the consensus so far? Did Nintendo recognizes/repair this issue? I bought it in a EBgames, I wonder if they'd exchange it, too...

I'd like to be sure before calling customer service.

Ragnamith

I think it starts registering up/down when you start going too fast. Once you start going fast the angle at which you're pressing left/right becomes less "straight".
So I've noticed that if you press left or right in a slightly more upward angle, it will pretty consistently register as up.

Made a quick video:
https://youtu.be/haufgEirH18

Kyzer

Banned
yep noticed in zelda sometimes i press right and it presses up. the closer to the middle you press the more likely it will read wrong

ggx2ac

Aside from the Pro Controllers with weird bugs, I can say that the Dpad having incorrect inputs is by design, I just tested my Wii U Pro Controller Dpad and it's no different to the Switch Pro Controller Dpad.

I went to test Super Street Fighter 2 on Wii U and was pressing left and right without lifting my thumb and an incorrect input would happen due to the way the Dpad is designed.

Now, you may be shocked to hear this but there is one Nintendo Dpad I have not had this problem with because I've been playing a game on it over the last week.

The original Nintendo DS Dpad does not have this problem at all and I couldn't do an incorrect input whatsoever, the way that Dpad is designed is that the Dpad feels very tight. If I put my thumb on the points of each direction, I can move it in that direction but it's too hard to move it elsewhere​.

If I press down on the DS Dpad but then move my thumb left and right on the down direction of the Dpad it will be difficult to do so because the Dpad has little movement to the sides of its edges.

And as I said before, the best freedom of movement is in the centre of the Dpad, I could put my thumb on the centre and press left and right with quick presses without lifting my thumb and it will not produce an incorrect input.

However, since both the Wii U and Switch Pro Controllers have a Dpad that is more loose. I can press left or right while pressing down and moving it side to side.

So in summary, Nintendo DS Dpad is tight: doesn't cause you to make mistakes.

Wii U and Switch Pro Controllers Dpads are loose: Can cause you to make mistakes if you don't lift your thumb when pressing the opposite direction.

So, it seems maybe the split Dpad should have been put on the Switch Pro Controller as well because it feels tight and I know I can type fast with it when logging into the eShop but I make mistakes with the Pro Controller.

Hence, a bigger split Dpad on the Pro Controller would have been better and not have caused this issue although this issue is by design and has been around since the Wii U Pro Controller but, it looks like this issue only came up now and not with the Wii U Pro Controller because I bet people are being too sensitive to things with the Switch due to every problem that keeps getting announced. lol

Neol

So my best buy had two in stock when I went and I was able to exchange my faulty one for a new one.

To my surprise the dpad on my new one feels practically perfect and the issue is non apparent after a long session with puyo puyo tetris where most of my mistakes felt like they were of my own accord.

I actually feel there were manufacturing variances with the Switch Pro Controllers with a good amount of them having the issue because after using both they feel like night and day. I used the Wii U Pro Controller a lot too so it wasn't the matter of the design of the dpads but the dpad having actually issues.

So for anyone out there with the issue I would highly recommend trying to exchange it if in stock. Hopefully the people who sent it for repair will update on there status to see if they confirm or deny my suspicions. Also not sure if this is just me but my faulty controller's dpad felt a lot stiffer and mushier compared to my new one.

Aside from the Pro Controllers with weird bugs, I can say that the Dpad having incorrect inputs is by design, I just tested my Wii U Pro Controller Dpad and it's no different to the Switch Pro Controller Dpad.
I've also tested my Wii U Pro Controller and it's not as sensitive as my Switch Pro Controller to lateral movement. I can certainly get diagonal inputs if I try to, but otherwise it rarely if ever happens even when rapidly hitting a direction.

To my surprise the dpad on my new one feels practically perfect and the issue is non apparent after a long session with puyo puyo tetris where most of my mistakes felt like they were of my own accord.
This gives me a little bit of hope that I won't have to resort to modding a $100 controller to get a proper dpad out of it. Sent mine back to Amazon today and just bought one on back-order from The Source which should arrive in a couple of weeks.

El Sabroso

Just did some testing with Guilty Gear Xrd and Street Fighter V. The dpad has a lot of trouble with registering diagonal presses. Like i'm pressing up left/right and i'm jumping up in the air rather than jumping backwards or forward.

that's a driver thing, I had that problem before (apparently is not anymore here in my setup since creators update) but never had that issue with KOF directly on Switch

samred

Nintendo has approved my SECOND request for a Switch Pro repair. The controller I got back this morning was a brand-new one, not a repaired one, and had exact same issue. I spent 45 mins on phone trying to get through their heads what was going on, and I may have succeeded. (A manager got right to the point when I was escalated, saying before I even mentioned it that such a d-pad issue "would be bad in Street Fighter.")

This may wind up being written about at Ars. "Developing," as we say.

Ragnamith

My local GAME refused to replace it, telling me it's simply a bad design. I can't help but agree with them though, it works normal if you press it normally, but once you start playing Tetris or Street fighter this is just a horrible D-pad for these type of games :(

Seik

Banned
Nintendo has approved my SECOND request for a Switch Pro repair. The controller I got back this morning was a brand-new one, not a repaired one, and had exact same issue. I spent 45 mins on phone trying to get through their heads what was going on, and I may have succeeded. (A manager got right to the point when I was escalated, saying before I even mentioned it that such a d-pad issue "would be bad in Street Fighter.")

This may wind up being written about at Ars. "Developing," as we say.

So it really is a defect, I though this simply was bad design for the D-Pad.

Will contact Nintendo shortly.

nubbe

My local GAME refused to replace it, telling me it's simply a bad design. I can't help but agree with them though, it works normal if you press it normally, but once you start playing Tetris or Street fighter this is just a horrible D-pad for these type of games :(

They are right, nothing will get replaced unless Nintendo makes a recall, sadly

Skyzard

Banned
It's a shame, the controller is great otherwise, especially comfort.

The DS dpad would suffice. I probably won't pick up the controller and will stick to Joycons when I eventually get the Switch unless they make a clear revision. Not paying that much and getting a poorly designed dpad and no analogue triggers.

My real hope is they release Joycons with a good dpad and analogue triggers.

The joypad buttons didn't seem unusable as a dpad to me when I tried them, I reckon I could get used to them and not have to worry about finicky inputs, maybe even in street fighter and tetris.

Moondrop

Banned
I can't test the inputs on the calibration screen right now but I've had no end of issues with DPAD Right registering as DPAD Up in Zelda. I've lost so many hearts trying to switch weapons and constantly getting the Runes selector appearing instead.

I've never had an issue like this on any other controller.
Holy crap is this what's going on? I thought it was some quirky programming of Zelda's UI. Lulz.

GAME are bastards. Tesco replaced it for me no questions, and Argos replaced a faulty Switch and I have no doubt would have also replaced the pro controller.

Nosgotham

I play Tetris pretty fast and have yet to have this issue. How are y'all playing that it's messing up? And I'm playing with only half a thumb . I get street fighter but puyo puyo Tetris play a perfectly with mine.

Felensis

Banned
I have this issue ever since I've got my Pro Controller. Discovered this also while playing Shovel Knight. Super annoying!

Also: The sharp edges from the hole where the analog sticks sit are cutting into the sticks. I had this last with the N64 pad. This for sure will get even worse over time.

samred

Major update! As mentioned above, I sent my first Switch Pro Controller back to Nintendo for repairs when I first noticed this issue in my controller. They mailed me back a brand-new one instead of repairing... and it had same issue. I wound up on phone for a while and was bumped to a manager, who created a "new exception" in Nintendo's repair system to formally recognize this as a possible special hardware issue that more customers might have.

Got my second controller back just now... and the d-pad is WAY more rigid. Rocking my thumb back and forth on the left and right buttons results in more consistent taps in the directions I want. Sadly, doing this test with the up and down buttons creates the same "undesired tap" issues, so I'm not calling this a 100% victory, but it's definitely better. Still, I'll be curious to see what Nintendo does with Switch Pro Controller manufacture going forward, because this really does seem like a d-pad seating issue. Not sure that I can stand shipping this thing back once more, with Mario Kart 8 on the horizon. I may just leave well enough alone. But if you have the issue, I strongly recommend contacting Nintendo while your controller is under warranty.

Skyzard

Banned
Major update! As mentioned above, I sent my first Switch Pro Controller back to Nintendo for repairs when I first noticed this issue in my controller. They mailed me back a brand-new one instead of repairing... and it had same issue. I wound up on phone for a while and was bumped to a manager, who created a "new exception" in Nintendo's repair system to formally recognize this as a possible special hardware issue that more customers might have.

Got my second controller back just now... and the d-pad is WAY more rigid. Rocking my thumb back and forth on the left and right buttons results in more consistent taps in the directions I want. Sadly, doing this test with the up and down buttons creates the same "undesired tap" issues, so I'm not calling this a 100% victory, but it's definitely better. Still, I'll be curious to see what Nintendo does with Switch Pro Controller manufacture going forward, because this really does seem like a d-pad seating issue. Not sure that I can stand shipping this thing back once more, with Mario Kart 8 on the horizon. I may just leave well enough alone. But if you have the issue, I strongly recommend contacting Nintendo while your controller is under warranty.

I'm glad to hear they listened to your issues, though I am concerned that the more rigid d-pads (also quite uncomfortable) will loosen over time. When I played with the pro controller that had a very rigid d-pad, I got the feeling it might take a while.

I want the controller. But they need to improve the d-pad (and not by just stiffening it, making it harder to press in and difficult to curve into for hadouken type inputs) at least for me to get it. Other than how great it feels to hold as a controller, the d-pad would be the main reason to get it over the joycons, which didn't seem terrible though I only tried them briefly.

If it had analogue triggers I could make the exception as there would be plenty of games on PC I could use it with that don't really rely on the d-pad much that I'd like to do otherwise because of how good it is ergonomically.

More people will probably have to do what you tried doing to get them to do it I bet.

Skeletos311

How long did it take for you to get the new one after you shipping the old one out? I want to send mine in, but now I'm worried if they're just going to send me a new one without even testing it.

This is... sort of good news. I picked up my new pro controller the other day and haven't had a chance to test it on the Switch or in Windows, though I can already tell from how loose it feels that it's going to be a problem. Do Nintendo cover the cost of shipping both ways for repairs/replacements? I don't want to abuse any retailer's return policy over this, but the prospect of being locked into a purchase where I have to keep paying and waiting on replacements with no certainty of improvement isn't particularly appealing. Might just return it and wait to see how this all turns out.

Nerrel

Mine's working perfectly fine so far. Got it three weeks ago at Gamestop. Knock on wood.
This issue is ENORMOUSLY prevalent on my pro controller.

I'm more inclined to believe that all Pro controllers are the same and the different results are due to different hands using the controller. Depending on the where you apply pressure to the pad, you can get solid, reliable results or you can get a lot of haywire reactions. In my experience pressing solidly right at the end of the + gives a reliable press. It's when you're sloppily pressing it somewhere towards the middle of the bar/cross that problems come up.

I never had this happen with the Wii U Pro or gamepad D-pads, so I'm not sure what to think about those who claim they had the same issue. I noticed it right away in BotW, but after t happened a few times I tried to be more mindful of where I'm pressing and it works better. I'd need to rig it up to play some 2D emulators to really know for sure, but at the very least you can improve things by making more deliberate presses.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm more inclined to believe that all Pro controllers are the same and the different results are due to different hands using the controller. Depending on the where you apply pressure to the pad, you can get solid, reliable results or you can get a lot of haywire reactions. In my experience pressing solidly right at the end of the + gives a reliable press. It's when you're sloppily pressing it somewhere towards the middle of the bar/cross that problems come up.

I never had this happen with the Wii U Pro or gamepad D-pads, so I'm not sure what to think about those who claim they had the same issue. I noticed it right away in BotW, but after t happened a few times I tried to be more mindful of where I'm pressing and it works better. I'd need to rig it up to play some 2D emulators to really know for sure, but at the very least you can improve things by making more deliberate presses.

True... but that's not going to really be possible with say street fighter. And pretty much anything that relies on very quick reactions...

Raitaro

After reading this thread and looking into my controller's d-pad I have not been sure if I have the issue or not but this Vimeo video mentioned in the Reddit thread is quite eye-opening at least. Have you guys seen this?

Going by what I see here, this guy seems to be pressing the tips of the + semi-quickly while lifting his thumb between presses (and as such without keeping his thumb on the middle part and sliding it across while staying in contact) and he is getting all kinds of weird movement with his cursor in the BOTW menu. I've just tested doing the same and for me this doesn't happen; in fact, mine behaves just like the other video mentioned on Reddit shows. The Puyo Puyo Tetris demo plays fine as well for me as far I could tell in my match against the CPU using Tetris mode.

That said, if I go to the Switch input test screen and use two thumbs on either side of the + and then quickly go back and forth, I do get up and down inputs to show up as well. So that makes me unsure again whether mine is the best it could be or whether it could be "stiffer" so to speak. Am I supposed to be able to get correct inputs while keeping my thumb on the + at all times while swivelling it to the sides or am I "supposed" to lift my thumb before pressing the outer ends of the +? As said, while testing the Puyo demo and BOTW menu I don't experience any issues. For a game like Street Fighter 2 this might be different but I can't test that myself until the new game comes out (as I don't game on PC anymore).

Tested out controller #2 this weekend and it has the same issue as the first. It's going back to the store before the 30 days are up.

After reading this thread and looking into my controller's d-pad I have not been sure if I have the issue or not but this Vimeo video mentioned in the Reddit thread is quite eye-opening at least. Have you guys seen this?
It doesn't happen that frequently on my end, but I could intentionally make it look like that and possibly like the other video as well depending on how I press down with my thumb. In the Switch button test and in Windows I get unintentional diagonals somewhere around 5-10% of the time and that rate seems to go up when I'm in game and frantically reaching for the dpad, like when a weapon breaks in Zelda and I need to quickly bring out a new one.

Alienous

I've only played a little of Zelda with the Pro Controller and it seems like I need to be really deliberate about pressing the D-pad to avoid misreadings.

What a shame, because it's a great controller otherwise.

samred

How long did it take for you to get the new one after you shipping the old one out? I want to send mine in, but now I'm worried if they're just going to send me a new one without even testing it.

I've done this twice now, and both times, it was about 7 full days. The first time, they sent me a brand-new pad without repairing the old one, so I called back and insisted what my issue was and how both pads had the exact same problem. I would recommend you POLITELY point out that this is a strange d-pad issue that you've seen multiple other people have online and ask if the rep is familiar with this specific issue. If he/she is not, it's not a bad time to ask for the call rep to ask other reps or managers, because you wanna make sure not to waste Nintendo's time.

This is... sort of good news. I picked up my new pro controller the other day and haven't had a chance to test it on the Switch or in Windows, though I can already tell from how loose it feels that it's going to be a problem. Do Nintendo cover the cost of shipping both ways for repairs/replacements? I don't want to abuse any retailer's return policy over this, but the prospect of being locked into a purchase where I have to keep paying and waiting on replacements with no certainty of improvement isn't particularly appealing. Might just return it and wait to see how this all turns out.

If it's "under warranty," then it's all free. The only thing you have to do is provide your own shipping box; they otherwise e-mail you a 2-day UPS label and ship it back to you for free, no credit card info requested.

Link83

Has anyone tried comparing the manufacturing batch numbers to see if theres any correlation between 'good' and 'bad' D-pads?

On (genuine) Wii U Pro controllers there is a manufacturing batch number pressed into the plastic just below the battery compartment door, i'm guessing the Switch Pro controller has a similar marking?

CaVaYeRo

This issue is ENORMOUSLY prevalent on my pro controller.

Same here, great that there's a dedicated topic at last, been trying to share my case with you guys for some time now in several topics, mainly 'cause I was getting rune powers (up on d-pad) when trying to select weapon (right on d-pad) in Zelda, which is pretty frustrating.

Will try and talk the issue with Nintendo as well...

So I was one of the people have big issues with this earlier in the thread and my local Toys R Us managed to get two Pro Controllers in today. I went along, tested them both from muscle memory (they wouldn't let me connect them to a demo Switch) and one seemed really off with the other feeling ok. I bought the one that felt ok and got him only to realise the play was almost the same as my current controller. I fired up the test section in settings and the exact same problem was there. I can even hold far right or left on the control and rock my finger up and down and the Switch won't recognise a left/right input but will instead show up and down.

No idea how I am going to get a controller that doesn't do this, but they are both Jpanaese versions which makes me wonder if there is some sort of difference?

Has anyone tried comparing the manufacturing batch numbers to see if theres any correlation between 'good' and 'bad' D-pads?

On (genuine) Wii U Pro controllers there is a manufacturing batch number pressed into the plastic just below the battery compartment door, i'm guessing the Switch Pro controller has a similar marking?

I can't see anything on mine except for HAC-013 which is think is the model number of the Pro controller as a whole.

Top Bottom