• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

yami4ct

I see. Thanks. Hope it gets animated, then. Did any of the subsequent parts of UC get similar treatment?

A couple have gotten retellings. CCA has several, the most famous being Beltorchika's Children that has the Hi-Nu and Nightingale. They're currently retelling Zeta in a manga called Z Define, but I have not heard great things.

Outside of UC Wing is getting a retelling called Glory of the Losers and it's almost as much an improvement as The Origin.

RangerBAD

Beltorchika's Children being an adaptation of Tomino's novel of the same name (and original vision for CCA). There's a manga from Nanai's prespective too.

A couple have gotten retellings. CCA has several, the most famous being Beltorchika's Children that has the Hi-Nu and Nightingale. They're currently retelling Zeta in a manga called Z Define, but I have not heard great things.

Outside of UC Wing is getting a retelling called Glory of the Losers and it's almost as much an improvement as The Origin.
Is Z Define bad because Kamille isn't getting the taste slapped out of his mouth every chapter or is it for other reasons?

Woo sold my xbox 360 safely this afternoon, made $100 and time to make it rain gunpla~... well maybe like 2 MG's/4 HG's or something lol. Damn shipping!

Got enough funds for a Wii U, extra for gunpla mmm. Got a nice summer inside out of this deep south heat all lined up it seems.

Z define sucks because it's more a sequel to chars deleted affair rather than a high quality update of zeta. Plus the artist is no yaz and it lacks authenticity.

Wubby

So uh... I can apparently apply for a P-Bandai credit card now. And I'm actually thinking of it too. My current card is through the bank and has a crappy point system. This one would give me P-Bandai points!

Also the Cathedral and Drion preorder starts from today. Cathedral has an interesting beam bow weapon. Also just learned that the MG Nu double fin funnel set is up for order again. Missed it last time so think I'll get it this time.

(edit: anyone else having issues seeing my pictures? Wondering if Minus is having issues)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rebawoo Painting Update #4
Previous updates: #1 #2 #3

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while. It's been nearly a year since I bought and started painting the Rebawoo I bought, and I pretty much put off painting the thing because of how laboring the process is and it's been collecting dust (top tip: don't let dust collect on bare acrylic paint) in a little cubby of my desk.

Recently I got sick of it sitting there all dismembered and dreary, and decided to give it another go. The biggest lesson learned in the mean time was to just lather the paint on as thick as possible the first time instead of doing multiple coats or using gesso or a gesso-paint mixture primer. This significantly reduces time to dry and as a result the amount of days you spend on each little section. Black works fine, I can layer it on once thick, and that's the only layer I need. Gold on the other hand requires at least 2 layers, often with a third to clean up a bit. Below is pretty much what a single, thick layer of gold gets me on a fin and part of the shield:

3nJ0gF7.jpg

lnERE3h.jpg

It has a swirly texture to it, which I think is just the consistency of the paint as it happens no matter how clean my water is, the brush I use, the angle it dries at, etc. Kind of gives it a sort of personality, but at the same time I've long thrown away the idea of having a smooth consistency across the surface while hand-painting. It's just not worth the pain, and highly unlikely unless you get it right on the first try and don't do additional coats. You can kind of see the smoothness and glossiness of the black on the side covers of the mid-section, which is my biggest accomplishment since starting again:

lK73v6u.jpg

nAsZpDn.jpg

The legs are pretty much the last piece of the puzzle before some minor backpack stuff and accessories. Pretty annoying since there are a lot of places that are just way too tight to paint, or when I connect them they're so tight that the paint scrapes and shows the red underneath; I don't think I'm going to be posing this one a lot.

Beth Cyra

Finished off Transient. I'm really shocked at how tiny the main body is.

Up next is the 1/144 Delta Gundam. That good looks might fine on this kit.

Beth Cyra

I've built Exia a few times, I think it's mainly the big looking but really light shoulders, feet and likely no shield.

Granted I said main body but I do think for some reason I always add on the shield bulk in my head and Transient I can't do that.

im sure it's just me, but it just feels really unsubstantial compared to what I was expecting. I don't even know why I felt that way.

Thinking more on it it maybe be, because my last build was the Beargguy F, so given how large it's head is it might just be making Transient feel smaller.

I have this from time to time because I often build Unicorn stuff then switch to Wing/G/X and they feel smaller after a large build as well.

Acid08

Banned
Well all that 90s stuff is smaller because the suits' heights are actually smaller. So they scale down to be smaller models.

Beth Cyra

Well all that 90s stuff is smaller because the suits' heights are actually smaller. So they scale down to be smaller models.
I'm well aware of that.

Lol I'm the one who is always bitching that God and Shining HG are awful in that aspect as they refuse to scale them accurately just like HGUC Victory.

Then you know why some builds "feel" smaller compared to others :p
Your missing what I feel. I know they are smaller and expect it, but it's a body shock to go back and stick them next to each other.

Maybe I'm the only one who gets that *shrugs* I'm okay with that.

Which always makes me giggle when I see people wonder why Wing suits are so small compared to the rest when shown together, and not in some outrageous pose with them up front
because like irl short people get pushed forward

Renewed

Just paid Amiami for the Denial Gundam so I can have it paired with Try Burning. Honestly gonna hold off until after E3 because I wanna see if anything worthwhile shows up before taking the plunge on getting some new equipment.

yami4ct

Glad I don't collect Metal Builds. If I did, I would be so sad that one of the line's few release spots being wasted by the pestilence that is Strike Freedom.

Laputa_94

Alright this is pretty much the coolest thing I own. After much procrastination I finally finished my RX-93-Nu Gundam. This is the first time I have used an action base as well.
4XsQMWsl.jpg
khM8kdOl.jpg

Shun

IMG_0365.jpg

Ootori Pack done.

O(^∇^)O

So excited to be able to paint. Going to panel line the wings in wine red and replace grey with silver and black with gunmetal. It will look so good with the decal stickers on.

I might consider replacing the Buster Sword and the Missile for 2 beam rifles or more rail guns like the one on the Double X.

Sora_N and Valkerionseven, I am trying to finish a straight build quick and post it for you two if you are both still considering Strike Rouge Ootori over Aile.

Will post pictures of final product soon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I saw Star Winning Gundam for cheap and decided to buy it. Is it a good machine and not crap like the triplet SD mecha?

Also Trion is still not on sale here :(

Metal Build Strike Freedom teaser site

http://tamashii.jp/special/metalbuild/strikefreedom/

teaser_visual.jpg

Nothing much at the site right now. It will be displayed in Tamashi Nation this weekend so we will probably see the full thing.

I really don't care for much outside of the UC or AC timeline, and the Strike Freedom has in my opinion seen way too many releases, most of them very meh. But there's one line I think can make a definitive Strike Freedom, and that's definitely Metal Build. I know they won't give us the puke gold that we got in the PG/MG, I know they won't give us the dark yellow that we got in the Robot Damashii release..

So screw it, I'm excited to see a Strike Freedom done RIGHT. I want to see that shiny gold, Tamashii!

yami4ct

I really don't care for much outside of the UC or AC timeline, and the Strike Freedom has in my opinion seen way too many releases, most of them very meh. But there's one line I think can make a definitive Strike Freedom, and that's definitely Metal Build. I know they won't give us the puke gold that we got in the PG/MG, I know they won't give us the dark yellow that we got in the Robot Damashii release..

So screw it, I'm excited to see a Strike Freedom done RIGHT. I want to see that shiny gold, Tamashii!

You're right that there's no perfect Strike Freedom, but then I ask the question, does there really need to be a perfect one? It's such an atrocious design. They took the fantastic Freedom design, gave it an awful, over designed backpack, threw in way too many extra angles, ruined the head by trying to make it look more aggressive and, the coup de grace, threw in a ton of gaudy, awfully placed gold. It's like the designs completely missed the point of why Freedom is a cool looking suit. I'll take better versions of the Freedom all day, but Strike Freedom would never be mentioned again if I controlled the world.

Blader

Does anyone expect a full Gundam the Origin anime after or even before the Char storyline finishes? I recently read a Forbes article talking about how the Origin manga was the New York Time's best selling manga for a while. Considering the poor sales of Reconguista, does anyone thinking going back to the original storyline might actually revive the franchise's popularity?

Well the 40th anniversary is coming up in a couple years. If the OVAs do well, I'd be shocked if Sunrise didn't launch a series that adapted the manga proper.

Whether it'd be a good series is another question...

You're right that there's no perfect Strike Freedom, but then I ask the question, does there really need to be a perfect one? It's such an atrocious design. They took the fantastic Freedom design, gave it an awful, over designed backpack, threw in way too many extra angles, ruined the head by trying to make it look more aggressive and, the coup de grace, threw in a ton of gaudy, awfully placed gold. It's like the designs completely missed the point of why Freedom is a cool looking suit. I'll take better versions of the Freedom all day, but Strike Freedom would never be mentioned again if I controlled the world.

I know how you feel in regards to the SFG. For me it's people who fail to accept that the Tallgeese II is not only the best of Tallgeese line, but the best MS to come out of every AU series.

But I digress, I personally feel that for something so popular, regardless of my own feelings towards it, it's bizarre that just about every incarnation has been mediocre at best. Kinda like how the Robobt Damashii Zaku II absolutely butchered the design of such an iconic machine.

yami4ct

It's exactly what I hoped for when we first got the reveal. It's basically a modern Ver. Ka style kit in everything but title. Definitely a must buy for me at some point.

I know how you feel in regards to the SFG. For me it's people who fail to accept that the Tallgeese II is not only the best of Tallgeese line, but the best MS to come out of every AU series.

But I digress, I personally feel that for something so popular, regardless of my own feelings towards it, it's bizarre that just about every incarnation has been mediocre at best. Kinda like how the Robobt Damashii Zaku II absolutely butchered the design of such an iconic machine.

I like the Tallgeese II's design in theory, but those colors kill it for me. Something about the blue chest kills the lines of the design. I don't know what it is about it that I really don't like, but I just can't get behind that suit. To each their own.

Wubby

Box art for Tryon.

image1%2B%252837%2529.jpeg

Also discovered it's only NeoGaf that's causing trouble with my usual photo host Minus (and only desktop browsers, mobile is fine). Idk why but Minus itself is fine, problem is Gaf.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Finished Star Winning... honestly I would have kept it in its SD form had it not have a hard time balancing due to its friggin' huge backpack.

Also fuck stickers with very small fold areas :mad:

NEO0MJ

Box art for Tryon.

Also discovered it's only NeoGaf that's causing trouble with my usual photo host Minus (and only desktop browsers, mobile is fine). Idk why but Minus itself is fine, problem is Gaf.

Soon, my pretty.

And Gaf is perfect, the problem is on your end.

Wubby

Soon, my pretty.

And Gaf is perfect, the problem is on your end.

Really?? Hmm... Why oh why can't I see my images... It's only Gaf they don't show for me.

Can you see all the ones in my op of this thread?:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485411

Also I was at the shop the other day to pick up Denial and the V2 assault buster and no more Petit guys were to be found. Also was surprised to see all the Ballden arm arms were gone too.

raven777

While I prefer SF to Destiny the Metal build is a huge disappointment compared to how amazing they did with Destiny updating it and making it look better.

I think it's too early to judge MB SF with that shot alone. But Destiny was an exceptional quality and I doubt SF will be that good.

But at least it looks better than Freedom.

Top Bottom