• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Wubby

Revive Guncannon boxart. Next month release!

IKl_YRnzfMVnuFpyKVCg4VLY8HnWHizD8JfxgQeFKTY=w1397-h881-no

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I haven't build a Gundam model since those cheap kits 16 years ago for Gundam Wing, but I bought the MG Sazabi ver Ka for $52 as an impulse buy after someone mentioned on another forum.

So it's a pretty good model then? I remember the Gundam Wing ones being kind of shitty.

I haven't build a Gundam model since those cheap kits 16 years ago for Gundam Wing, but I bought the MG Sazabi ver Ka for $52 as an impulse buy after someone mentioned on another forum.

So it's a pretty good model then? I remember the Gundam Wing ones being kind of shitty.

The quality increased massively since then, and the Wing kits were already old when they were brought over in general in terms of how they were made and what not. Also anything MG should be higher quality in general over the lower grade stuff. -should be- being the operative phrase lol. A few duds in the batch but they tend to be great.

Shun

Apparently Sazabi Ver. Ka is close to GOAT territory.

You're gonna need to be very patient with a Sazabi Ver Ka compared to other MG models. Especially with the decals.

The box itself is the size of a Perfect Grade...

10239040n3.jpg

I would recommend getting one more kit to practice before tackling the MG Sazabi Ver Ka.

yami4ct

RD G-Self must've done pretty well. Surprised to see Bandai jump on all the packs. Makes me excited because I really dig all the different designs. Gives me hope we may see more than atmospheric for the inevitable MG.

Also happy to see the Astrays getting Metal Builds. Washes out some of the bad taste of the Strike Freedom. Metal Builds are still too rich for me, but they look great.

The ECOAS Jegans are hot. RD Jesta when bandai

IKR! The Jegan and Jesta are great considering how "generic" they are supposed to be in the context of the gundam universe. They are on my favorite mech list for sure.

Still want to get the HG Jesta Cannon but I'm mentally committed to a MG as my next kit lol. Hopefully they never get too hard to find.

Beth Cyra

RD G-Self must've done pretty well. Surprised to see Bandai jump on all the packs. Makes me excited because I really dig all the different designs. Gives me hope we may see more than atmospheric for the inevitable MG.

Also happy to see the Astrays getting Metal Builds. Washes out some of the bad taste of the Strike Freedom. Metal Builds are still too rich for me, but they look great.
I would agree with this but the fact they went base red and Blue is stupid.

They went all in on Mina and should have gone Blue Second L /Revised at the very least.

Like, two days ago, I finished my Hi-Nu Vrave and noticed one of the blue fin funnel parts came broken. :/
I'm going to fix it with cement and it should be fine, but it's a little disappointing to get a model from a hobby shop with a broken piece. Still, it's an AWESOME kit that looks great in almost every pose.

Today, my RG RX-78-2 from Tokyo Otaku Mode arrived, covered in bubble wrap, inside a thick cloth bag, in a nice box. Honestly, I was impressed by the care put into making sure this thing was pristine when it arrived. The prices from TOM are a bit high, but it seems like it's kinda worth it.

yami4ct

I would agree with this but the fact they went base red and Blue is stupid.

They went all in on Mina and should have gone Blue Second L /Revised at the very least.

I suspect they're just making the base model now. The differences between base and revise are (mostly) small and backpack/weapon base. Makes them super easy remolds. They'll definitely be making them at some point, but I could see them being P-Bandai exclusives.

Sora_N

I finally traded in my stuff at a local store to get credit

Nothing I wanted but they got the Origin Char Zaku so I picked that up!

NEO0MJ

Like, two days ago, I finished my Hi-Nu Vrave and noticed one of the blue fin funnel parts came broken. :/
I'm going to fix it with cement and it should be fine, but it's a little disappointing to get a model from a hobby shop with a broken piece. Still, it's an AWESOME kit that looks great in almost every pose.

Nice. Can't see the broken part, though.

I finally traded in my stuff at a local store to get credit

Nothing I wanted but they got the Origin Char Zaku so I picked that up!

Why pick up something you didn't want?

Sora_N

Why pick up something you didn't want?

Sorry I meant nothing else I wanted (mg). I wanted the Zaku but I didn't get a chance to go out till now. It was a good price too! :)

They couldn't order any of the MGs I wanted so I'll have to wait lol.

Ventured out to Barnes and Noble today and had no idea they had gunpla! Was pretty barren but if you like Wing Zero EW and Death Scythe MG kits haha. They had those. Also a Sengoku Astary MG with a million Wing Finice lol.

No prices on it though, I imagine they were similar to amazon or w/e. Great condition boxes too.

paolo11

Hello Gundam Gaf. I need to ask spoiler questions

Can you tell me if these Gundam ME have been destroyed or still alive and kicking?

A) Hi nu Gundam
B) Gold Frame Astray Amatsu Mina
C) Red and Blue Frame Astray
D) Gundam 00 Raiser/Seven sword

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My Rebawoo is done!
Previous updates: #1 #2 #3 #4

tumblr_inline_np6ovp49cp1sm23dr_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_np6p14SiFv1sm23dr_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_np6p3ciBuU1sm23dr_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_np6p3of4bB1sm23dr_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_np6p0aQWPk1sm23dr_540.jpg

I did a write-up with more pictures here if people care, but I just wanted to share this with y'all :)

The itch to start another begins immediately after finishing your last one D; I also want to get an HG Fenice Rinascita and do a custom paint job on that too but I got the Delta Plus fiending for attention first D;

Beth Cyra

I suspect they're just making the base model now. The differences between base and revise are (mostly) small and backpack/weapon base. Makes them super easy remolds. They'll definitely be making them at some point, but I could see them being P-Bandai exclusives.
And that is my problem. If they went all in on Mina then they should on the others and have all the base forms be P Bandai or have the Gold Frame base be the Mina release.

yami4ct

And that is my problem. If they went all in on Mina then they should on the others and have all the base forms be P Bandai or have the Gold Frame base be the Mina release.

I honestly don't know enough of the Astray fiction to judge them based on anything but aesthetics. For me, I really dig the base Astary designs and dislike when they added too much to them. Give me the red edition with its sword like the PG or RG, the Blue with a shield and rifle, the green with its weird rifle thing and the gold with its bazooka. I mostly want the Red, but the more the merrier. I won't be buying the Metal Build, so my opinion doesn't really matter, but I'm super pumped for the RG Red.

I made people sing Beyond the Time in karaoke tonight and much like Bohemian Rhapsody it's a song YOU NEVER FUCKING CHOOSE IN KARAOKE.

Yeah, I made sure to keep it juuuuuuuuuuust out of frame. lol
Still, what a neat kit. The hands are shit, though. I'll be getting the Try Burning hands pack that's coming out soon.

Wow, does the RG RX-78-2 take a while to get going.
Two hours in and I have only finished the right leg. >.>

NEO0MJ

My Rebawoo is done!

The itch to start another begins immediately after finishing your last one D; I also want to get an HG Fenice Rinascita and do a custom paint job on that too but I got the Delta Plus fiending for attention first D;

Nicely done. Go for cans if you want to try airbrushing without committing to an airbrush and all the other expenses in entails.

Yeah, I made sure to keep it juuuuuuuuuuust out of frame. lol
Still, what a neat kit. The hands are shit, though. I'll be getting the Try Burning hands pack that's coming out soon.

Wouldn't they appear tiny on it, though? Or does it include hands for other kits as well?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nicely done. Go for cans if you want to try airbrushing without committing to an airbrush and all the other expenses in entails.
Yeah I hand-painted at first because the entire cost of it was like $5 total and to get a handle on how paint adheres, but I think for making things presentable in the end, spray cans are the next best option, and probably a good middleway between the cost of hand painting and the labour/maintenance of airbrushing.

Already got some ideas for the Rinascita. If I could repurpose those little shoulder bolts..

NEO0MJ

Already got some ideas for the Rinascita. If I could repurpose those little shoulder bolts..

Ohhh, very clever.

Anyways, finally finished my Byarlant! I didn't ink it but I sanded it off and cleaned it realy well, in case I ever want to paint it.

Had a lot of fun. Extreme VS. when? Also, this thing can barely sand balanced. Should have seen that coming though, based on design.

Learned a few things, mostly that I need to set up the camera right, that I need to be careful with the hobby knife (I cut extra in some areas) and that I need an action stand.

Shun

Now that everything has settled down, here is my haul and here are all the kits that make up my summer project.

Will be doing all these kits painted with me and 1-3 other people so 2-4 people total.

In order of priority...

RG Exia + Dark Matter Booster, Strike Freedom, RG Destiny kit bash.

MG Hi Nu
MG Strike Rouge
MG Shin Musha
MG Blitz
MG Proto Zero

MG Unicorn Ver. Ka Titanium Finish 30th Anniversary (Trying to sell this kit or trade it for MG Full Armor Unicorn + others)

PG Strike Freedom
PG Astray Red Frame

Not pictured:

HG Harute/Fenice Rinascita (Friend finished it, haven't seen it yet)
MG Hyaku Shiki 2.0 (Picking this up in July)

I am as overwhelmed as I am excited. I'll probably end up being burnt out of Gunpla but this is worth it to get this out of the way before the semester starts up again.

5jD7pqr.gif

You're gonna paint the gold plates on the PG Strike Freedom I hope? I hear some of those are not of an appealing color.

also fuck you now I'm thirsting for another MG. :V

yami4ct

That's an amazing haul you've got there. I'd kill for a PG Astray. Have you seen the backpack fix for the Strike Freedom? It's been posted around the web, but there's a way to reinforce the backpack wing pegs so they don't snap like they tend to. I think you have to cut the pegs off, put some metal reinforcement ring on and putty it back together. I'd certainly look into that given how stupidly common that issue is.

Shun

5jD7pqr.gif

You're gonna paint the gold plates on the PG Strike Freedom I hope? I hear some of those are not of an appealing color.

also fuck you now I'm thirsting for another MG. :V

That's an amazing haul you've got there. I'd kill for a PG Astray. Have you seen the backpack fix for the Strike Freedom? It's been posted around the web, but there's a way to reinforce the backpack wing pegs so they don't snap like they tend to. I think you have to cut the pegs off, put some metal reinforcement ring on and putty it back together. I'd certainly look into that given how stupidly common that issue is.

We're definitely painting everything. I have my metallics and clear colors ready for that.

I've been working terribly slow on these kits for a while but I haven't had any really time to go to the place I visit to use an airbrush due to university classes. Now that things have slowed down I'll finally be able to make some sort of progress.

The PG Strike Freedom isn't for me but we will be definitely look into doing that since every edition of Strike Freedom except for maybe the RG sucks. From what I've built of the RG Strike Freedom so far, I really like it apart from the unappealing yellow used in the frame.

The PG Astray is mine and I'm planning out how to tackle it in between kits.

EDIT: Also, still trying to sell or trade our MG Unicorn Ver Ka Titanium Finish. Selling it for under aftermarket price for ~150 USD. Would love to trade for an MG FAUC/Sazabi/etc. for it.

Contacted HobbySearch, HLJ, etc and they aren't restocking anytime in the next 8+ months or ever so it's definitely a good price for a 30th anniversary LE item.

Short Rant: I hate that these 3 people on craigslist keep trying to lowball me for it. I got offers for 60 bucks, MG 00 Seven Sword, and other offers half my price. So irritating. If a Chinese Knockoff of the Unicorn Titanium Finish goes for at least $215, what makes them think I'll go under $150...

Zeta Gundam Rewatch: 9 - 10

In my first watch I didn't really get into the show until around when they were in earth. I burned through the shows back then at something like 3 episodes a day. Now I'm taking it at about 6 episodes a week. Much more slower and deliberate.

One thing I noticed is Mr. Wong. My first time through, I didn't care for him. He was a hard ass. But on re-watch, you can tell he really does care about not just the AEUG's cause, but also its staff. In a weird way, he beat up Kamille to dial back his arrogance so he wouldn't get killed. Then there is that bad ass moment with him in his Petite-suit. He's a pretty cool dude actually.

There was some nice forecasting in episode 8. Some nice hints of Haman and Axis Zeon even as far back as the single digit episodes. Didn't really make much of it then, but obviously something like that catches your attention when you know what is going to end up happening.

And of course the Hyaku Shiki is looking rad. lol @ Apolly's "The color of your suits always seems to become popular" comment.

yami4ct

We're definitely painting everything. I have my metallics and clear colors ready for that.

I've been working terribly slow on these kits for a while but I haven't had any really time to go to the place I visit to use an airbrush due to university classes. Now that things have slowed down I'll finally be able to make some sort of progress.

The PG Strike Freedom isn't for me but we will be definitely look into doing that since every edition of Strike Freedom except for maybe the RG sucks. From what I've built of the RG Strike Freedom so far, I really like it apart from the unappealing yellow used in the frame.

The PG Astray is mine and I'm planning out how to tackle it in between kits.

Here's the fix I was talking about. You can do it after it breaks as well, but it seems worth doing before hand just to prevent problems if it does break and maybe cause other parts to fall/break or anything weird like that.

Shun

Here's the fix I was talking about. You can do it after it breaks as well, but it seems worth doing before hand just to prevent problems if it does break and maybe cause other parts to fall/break or anything weird like that.

I have never had a peg break on me but that will probably make my life much easier.

Thank you very much for sharing.

yami4ct

I have never had a peg break on me but that will probably make my life much easier.

Thank you very much for sharing.

That particular peg is notorious as hell. Those giant wings put a lot of stress on the tiny piece of plastic which really can't tolerate it. It's an awful design defect.

Shun

RG Strike Freedom is good? Better than MG?

Built Chars Zaku. Such a great kit. Still lining it.

On its own, RG Strike Freedom is probably the best gunpla version of Strike Freedom. All of them have their problems but the RG has the least amount of stickers and has the most balance of detail and articulation. Color separation is better too.

The only issue is that like all the other ones, the frame is piss gold and it is back heavy. Other than painting the frame it's pretty good.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the RG and get the Wings of Sky separately but that's annoying since it's limited P-Bandai. If you really want the Dragoon Effect Parts, you could go with the MG Strike Freedom Full Burst Mode which is MUCH easier to get and I believe comes with an action base stand.

Both are relatively similar pricewise for the Strike Freedom Model and the Dragoon effects.

yami4ct

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the RG and get the Wings of Sky separately but that's annoying since it's limited P-Bandai. If you really want the Dragoon Effect Parts, you could go with the MG Strike Freedom Full Burst Mode which is MUCH easier to get and I believe comes with a stand.

Both are relatively similar pricewise for the Strike Freedom Model and the Dragoon effects.

One warning about the stand that comes with the MG SF Fullburst as well as the one that comes with the original Hi-Nu. The funnel holders are literally worthless. They will begin drooping after a few days of being setup and will eventually break. It's easy to replace them with some wire and some tape to make the wire a hair bit thicker and get a tight fit, but if you want to use the funnel stand out of box you'll be sorely disappointed. I'm happy bandai switched to rigid plastic for the Nu and Hi-Nu ver Ka stands.

Shun

One warning about the stand that comes with the MG SF Fullburst as well as the one that comes with the original Hi-Nu. The funnel holders are literally worthless. They will begin drooping after a few days of being setup and will eventually break. It's easy to replace them with some wire and some tape to make the wire a hair bit thicker and get a tight fit, but if you want to use the funnel stand out of box you'll be sorely disappointed. I'm happy bandai switched to rigid plastic for the Nu and Hi-Nu ver Ka stands.

You mean the plastic tubes?

I figured, that's why I'm looking to make a DIY effects stand with alligator clips/clear plastic and wire for my action base.

Other than being sold for $40, the orange funnel effect parts and the lack of reason to upgrade was why I ended up getting Hi-Nu instead of Ver Ka.

The MG Strike Freedom comes with a generic stand and an action base I believe but it comes with the terrible clear tubes like yami4ct pointed out.

Sora_N

Ok how do the decals for Origins Zaku work? I basically ruined two already, I have no idea since I never used these.

Anyway awesome HG.

yami4ct

You mean the plastic tubes?

I figured, that's why I'm looking to make a DIY effects stand with alligator clips/clear plastic and wire for my action base.

Other than being sold for $40, the orange funnel effect parts and the lack of reason to upgrade was why I ended up getting Hi-Nu instead of Ver Ka.

The MG Strike Freedom comes with a generic stand and an action base I believe but it comes with the terrible clear tubes like yami4ct pointed out.

Yeah the plastic tubes. They are perhaps the worst thing I've seen Bandai pack a kit with.

As for the Hi-Nu vs the Ver. Ka, it's personal preference but I like the Ver. Ka more by a long shot. It's got a really nice bulk and presence to it that the original MG does not have (being basically a repaint of Nu). It also captures the spirit of the original art in a way the first MG misses. Also, the lavender the Ver. Ka uses is possibly my favorite color plastic I've seen bandai put out. It's gorgeous.

Shun

IMG_0367.jpg

First time doing a panel wash on my Ootori Pack. I have some cleaning up to do but I like how it's turning out so far.

Ok how do the decals for Origins Zaku work? I basically ruined two already, I have no idea since I never used these.

Anyway awesome HG.

Green back decal should be applied with tweezer like foil decal.

White back decal is dry transfer.

Paltheos

Anyway awesome HG.

*image of Char's Zaku sniping a mofo (presumably)*

I really like the look of that kit. The rifle looks incredible, the whole kit looks decked out with weapons, and it's a better shade of red I think than the RG (faithful or not).

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
My Rebawoo is done!
I did a write-up with more pictures here if people care, but I just wanted to share this with y'all :)

Great job there, I tried hand painting a SD kit once, let's just say you are a better man than I am.

Now go and invest in an airbrush lol.

Yeah the plastic tubes. They are perhaps the worst thing I've seen Bandai pack a kit with.

Those tubes looks too much like tentacles, I been trying to find those "arms" without the base for sales, but I can't seems to find them anywhere for a reasonable price.

PA140096.jpg

Top Bottom