• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australians may face 10% tax on Steam transactions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Live in NZ now but I never buy from steam if it can be avoided. Plenty of legit alternatives to price gouging.

Games in New Zealand are actually ~15% cheaper by default now that the store uses NZD, which bodes well for AUD. But, yeah, larger publishers tend to ignore the recommended pricing and apply the Kiwi/Aussie Tax.

Vidal

To be honest, I can't see Steam being competitive at all with the prices go up yet again. This is all done to protect small companies like JB Hifi and EB Games.

Thats unfortunate. Hopefully these taxes are put to good use for social assistance programs.

But man living in Las Vegas is great. We don't even pay state tax here. Guess I never realized how lucky I was.

JaseC

To be honest, I can't see Steam being competitive at all with the prices go up yet again. This is all done to protect small companies like JB Hifi and EB Games.

GST is being imposed because the Libs abolished the GST-free threshold the Libs imposed GST on digital goods and Valve doesn't want to risk another lengthy court battle. It has nothing to do with retailer relationships. I mean, why would Valve suddenly care about that 13-and-a-bit years after Steam's launch and when its most recent retail release is more than half a decade old? ;)

a0de210553390ac0f154e7b97364d4c6.jpg

We should all pay our taxes, who the hell do you think you are not paying it, don't give a toss for your country and the others living there then bugger off

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Shouldn't you pay taxes on the things you buy? Especially luxury items like video games?

It's kind of how a lot of countries/states work.

Rizzi

I look forward to seeing activision titles costing $160usd because activision keeps forgettting they're charging usd not AUD...

Looks like getting steam keys is going to be the only way to get reasonable prices by the end of the year :(

They don't forget they're charging USD. They just don't give a shit.

saunderez

Shouldn't you pay taxes on the things you buy? Especially luxury items like video games?

Of course you should. But until recently GST wasn't payable on purchases made outside of Australia. Payment of GST is still going to be basically voluntary anyway because the Australian Government has no mechanism to force companies operating outside of Australia to pay the tax. For physical goods they can be stopped by customs, there's nothing they can do for intangibles though.

Window

Steam purchases in Aus cost the same as US purchases except for currency conversion costs charged by your banks (all prices are displayed in USD) so Steam games aren't anymore expensive here than elsewhere. I do imagine though that because of this the entire 10% tax will be passed on to the consumer ( as usually the economic incidence is split between the supplier and consumer).

JaseC

Of course you should. But until recently GST wasn't payable on purchases made outside of Australia. Payment of GST is still going to be basically voluntary anyway because the Australian Government has no mechanism to force companies operating outside of Australia to pay the tax. For physical goods they can be stopped by customs, there's nothing they can do for intangibles though.

I'd wager Valve is now playing by the rules in other countries because it doesn't want to risk another lengthy legal tiff that it'd likely lose.

Steam purchases in Aus cost the same as US purchases except for currency conversion costs charged by your banks (all prices are displayed in USD) so Steam games aren't anymore expensive here than elsewhere. I do imagine though that because of this the entire 10% tax will be passed on to the consumer ( as usually the economic incidence is split between the supplier and consumer).

It's up to publishers to adjust their prices to account for the tax, but you can bet that the likes of Activision and Ubisoft will be quick to act.

saunderez

I'd wager Valve is now playing by the rules in other countries because it doesn't want to risk another legal tiff that it'd likely lose.

Do you think they even give a crap? They're still not complying with the outcome of the court case they lost dictating they must comply with Australian consumer laws. They're still refusing refunds on broken games because they're outside their (illegal in Australia) refund window.

Neolombax

That sucks...the physical games there sell slightly pricier if I'm not mistaken. And now they want to charge for Steam games?

This reminds me back when the Ozzies didn't have an "R" classification for games, to the point that they censored stuff out of GTA4. I was so bummed out when I got that game on the PS3 while I was studying there. What is with the Ozzie politicians and video games?

JaseC

Do you think they even give a crap? They're still not complying with the outcome of the court case they lost dictating they must comply with Australian consumer laws. They're still refusing refunds on broken games because they're outside their (illegal in Australia) refund window.

Are people citing that when submitting their requests? I mean, it shouldn't fall on to customers to know the law, but it can and has made a difference in the past. Come to think of it, in 12 hours' time the AU store should be updated with the judgement from the ACCC as per the order.

Edit: Actually, it was supposed to be updated yesterday.

Window

It's up to publishers to adjust their prices to account for the tax, but you can bet that the likes of Activision and Ubisoft will be quick to act.
That would mean setting up a different price structure for the Australian market instead of presenting US prices (which is possible and fairly easy to do I imagine, unless they do it already and I am not aware of it).

JaseC

That would mean setting up a different price structure for the Australian market instead of presenting US prices (which is possible and fairly easy to do I imagine, unless they do it already and I am not aware of it).

Publishers can set country-specific prices.

Paz

OK So somethings have been glossed over in both the coverage and also peoples responses to this.

First of all, Steam currently sells games to Australians with regional pricing, which means they are basically an Australian store, which means they should damn well be including GST like every other Australian store they compete with (You already pay GST at EB/JB/etc). We are not treated the same as US customers, Doom is 80 USD for Australians for example.

Secondly I really hope a switch to treating Australia like a real region and paying taxes properly means we can move away from paying in USD here, with the way most banks and credit cards work this usually means you pay an extra 10+% in poor currency conversion rates and also bank fees (Less with specialized CC's of course, which I use and suggest to anyone who travels).

Third if you ever turned over more than 75k/year in sales to Australians you should already be registered for and paying GST according to the ATO, you also needed to be registered for GST if you ever received a federal grant which I did, so this actually evens things up between who played it safe and registered and those who thought GST didn't apply to them.

I'm not saying it won't suck if prices go up, though we really won't know if that's the case until closer to the day the switch happens, all I'm saying is that an Australian store (Which Steam undeniable is since it knows who its Australian customers are and gives them regional pricing) should definitely include GST.

Window

Huh I just assumed prices were the same. There really is no reason why they shouldn't be for an online storefront except as a form of price discrimination for greater gains.

Random17

I am so going to pay using the NZ transaction system then, I guess I'll have to wait when I visit the country at the end of the year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

saunderez

Are people citing that when submitting their requests? I mean, it shouldn't fall on to customers to know the law, but it can and has made a difference in the past. Come to think of it, in 12 hours' time the AU store should be updated with the judgement from the ACCC as per the order.

Edit: Actually, it was supposed to be updated yesterday.

Probably not....I'll definitely remember to do so when I make future requests, it was a friend that has been denied when he tried to refund No Man's Sky because he'd played more than 2 hours.

Payment of GST is still going to be basically voluntary anyway because the Australian Government has no mechanism to force companies operating outside of Australia to pay the tax.

Yes and no. Yes, that I don't believe they have any mechanism to force a company to pay, No its not basically voluntary, it does however only impact companies that have a turnover of $75K (AUD) or more.

More than happy to be fact checked, but I believe a penalty that was discussed would be to disable access to the store via that DNS blocking or using AU credit cards.

Gxgear

This is just going to push everyone to purchasing grey market keys. Goddamn politicians and their braindead ideas.

orfax

Lol
https://www.steamprices.com/au/search/?preset=unfair

Paz

This is just going to push everyone to purchasing grey market keys. Goddamn politicians and their braindead ideas.

Please explain to me why Steam prices shouldn't have to include GST but if I buy the game from JB Hifi that hat to include GST.

CryptiK

Please explain to me why Steam prices shouldn't have to include GST but if I buy the game from JB Hifi that hat to include GST.

We already pay the GST price tho lmao

We are talking about adding 10% more. All the prices on steam are in USD. Games go for 69-89 USD which is 89-115 AUD, now we add GST and we are paying a fuck load. I'll be using grey market for sure.

JBwB

Well I'm never again going to buy directly from Steam I guess.

Cdkeys + Other steam key re sellers for me from now on.

Paz

We already pay the GST price tho lmao

We are talking about adding 10% more. All the prices on steam are in USD. Games go for 69-89 USD which is 89-115 AUD, now we add GST and we are paying a fuck load. I'll be using grey market for sure.

We're not talking about adding 10% to all game prices, we're talking about all game prices including GST, like they should, because we are being sold games as Australians with regional pricing.

It's up to the people selling those games to then price them accordingly, but there's zero reason why Steam shouldn't include GST just like every other Australian store is legally obligated to. Right now t hey can essentially undercut the competition by not paying tax.

JaseC

Do you think they would turn over more than $75k AUD a financial year?

If yes, then they too will need to add 10% GST to their prices.

CD Keys is a garage operation -- it resells keys taken from physical stock purchased in bulk. While it may apply a 10% tax come July (I'm of two minds about that happening), I sincerely doubt it'd actually forward that money on unless the government took measures to prevent it from selling to Australian customers.

CryptiK

We're not talking about adding 10% to all game prices, we're talking about all game prices including GST, like they should, because we are being sold games as Australians with regional pricing.

It's up to the people selling those games to then price them accordingly, but there's zero reason why Steam shouldn't include GST just like every other Australian store is legally obligated to. Right now t hey can essentially undercut the competition by not paying tax.
Well the fact that it sells in USD is one reason.

Tanis

Not true for most AAA games. Just having a quick look now - Fallout 4 is USD $80, GTA 5 is USD $75.

Taxes like this are the easiest way to suss out who talks the talk and who walks the walk in terms of actually wanting to work towards fixing things in their given country (and by that I mean also maintaining things like the social safety net, infrastructure and whatever)

It is fascinating to see how often talks of left wing economic policies go straight out the window when part of that means say paying a few extra dollars on a video game...

Like I get that the games are seemingly over priced but that's not the government that's the game companies... So no the government is not making you resort to grey market or piracy....

Top Bottom