• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australians may face 10% tax on Steam transactions

Komo

Banned
I seriously cannot wait to leave Australia.

Everytime I hear news about this country, it's always bad

Silentium

Why shouldn't an entity selling intangibles into Australia have to collect GST on purchases? Not collecting the GST on these purchases is giving foreign sellers (like Steam) a cost advantage over Australian based sellers and is a significant tax leakage (I've seen some estimates of approx $2B p/a). This isn't unprecedented either, Europe has VAT collection for these purchases, and Australia already has GST reverse charging provisions for a similar reason.

Komo

Banned
What is stopping you leaving?

Currently getting my university degree, and after that I'll need to save up quite a fair bit

You can't just up and leave as you please. It's an expensive process that requires a lot of planning. Immigration alone is a massive pain in the ass

tuna_love

Banned
Currently getting my university degree, and after that I'll need to save up quite a fair bit

You can't just up and leave as you please. It's an expensive process that requires a lot of planning. Immigration alone is a massive pain in the ass
Where do you plan on going?

Bio

Can someone explain to me, is this on top of the normal sales tax or is this just applying the already-in place sales tax to digital goods? The way people seem outraged by it I'd say the first, but I have a suspicion it's the second.

Silentium

Can someone explain to me, is this on top of the normal sales tax or is this just applying the already-in place sales tax to digital goods? The way people seem outraged by it I'd say the first, but I have a suspicion it's the second.
The second.

wonzo

Banned
It's the latter.

Komo

Banned
Where do you plan on going?

Depending on what happens between now and the time I've saved up enough money, either the US or Canada. I'm also pretty sure that this isn't the first time you've asked me about this in a thread.

Regardless, this is getting a bit off-topic. Australia's not doing too hot lately, and it hasn't for the past couple of years. I honestly and truly hope it manages to get better, but the current political climate doesn't fill me with much hope. It's quite disappointing

Sorry guys but I don't see why digital video games shouldn't be taxed. This isn't some unjust outrage, it's a logical action for the government to take and it is inevitable.

I want my games as cheap as possible like anyone but I'm not going to pretend that my video games should be tax free when other things aren't.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Sigh. Fuck you Liberal and your shitty excuses for budget reform. So much for Hockey being a good treasurer like Ol' king Abbott proclaimed.

This is a stupid decision and wil firth stagnate digital markets from ever truly taking off in Australia.

I thought one of the only good things about wingnuts is that they cut taxes.

And also, it's funny that the prime minister wonders why piracy is so rampant in Australia and then continue to pull this shit.

Silentium

This is a stupid decision and wil firth stagnate digital markets from ever truly taking off in Australia.
How?

Why would collecting the broad, standard sales tax stagnate consumption of digital markets? Europe is now collecting VAT on these purchases, Japan has introduced similar legislation and Canada/NZ are considering similar changes to their own GST/VAT laws.

Sjefen

Damn who is running that country, they must think gaming is the end of the world? Shitty internets, censorship, expensive games, taxes etcetc

mrpookles

I can deal with the GST if the government wasn't enabling price-gouging. Charge me $66 on Steam with GST for a new game and I'll be fine.

$120, though? Fuck off.

HowZatOZ

Banned
How?

Why would collecting the broad, standard sales tax stagnate consumption of digital markets? Europe is now collecting VAT on these purchases, Japan has introduced similar legislation and Canada/NZ are considering similar changes to their own GST/VAT laws.
Because we already pay a ridiculous price when it comes to online goods because "Australia" and adding GST on top is going to push people further away.

Resilient

Is this shit for real? We get fucking destroyed on prices normally, now they want to drop 10% GST on it too? How about you fuck off, lobby for reduction in the "Australia" tax, and then we can talk about 10% GST on digital goods. Until then, go shove it up your ass.

oceanskie

Banned
My heart goes out to AusGAF.

You guys got all those scary-ass killer animals, and y'all have to pay these crazy-ass prices for games..

Why is it that Australia seems to draw the shortest straw all the time?

6065953_700b.jpg

Bulbasaur

Banned
^^^^ deadly fauna is a made up convention used to help slow the flow of foreigners . It's not really working anymore though.

So the eShop is going to be get more expensive? Fuck.

Silentium

Because we already pay a ridiculous price when it comes to online goods because "Australia" and adding GST on top is going to push people further away.
The markup applied to Australian purchases is a separate issue. The issue here is that these entities are currently able to avoid the collection of GST because they sell from overseas - Australian based digital sellers already have to collect GST. As already stated, Australia isn't doing anything different from any other country by moving to collect sales tax on these purchases - they represent a significant tax loss for Australia (approx $2B I've seen estimated).

Australia is already being "Marked Up"

Yeah, both Aus and NZ suffer heavily from the "fuck you" publisher tax. If GST is introduced on digital games, it SHOULD take its cut out of that but they probably won't, not when publishers have an easy excuse to just raise the prices higher.

Why shouldn't an entity selling intangibles into Australia have to collect GST on purchases? Not collecting the GST on these purchases is giving foreign sellers (like Steam) a cost advantage over Australian based sellers and is a significant tax leakage (I've seen some estimates of approx $2B p/a). This isn't unprecedented either, Europe has VAT collection for these purchases, and Australia already has GST reverse charging provisions for a similar reason.

Noone's saying they shouldn't pay it but how do you make an overseas company pay tax in a country they don't even have a real presence in.
Sales taxes just are not capable of dealing with cross border transactions.

HowZatOZ

Banned
The markup applied to Australian purchases is a separate issue. The issue here is that these entities are currently able to avoid the collection of GST because they sell from overseas - Australian based digital sellers already have to collect GST. As already stated, Australia isn't doing anything different from any other country by moving to collect sales tax on these purchases - they represent a significant tax loss for Australia (approx $2B I've seen estimated).
Understandable and I'm all for collecting on companies avoiding taxes, however the Australian pricing issue is still relevant. Even wih local representatives of a global company the markup is prevalent, meaning the tax would increase the price to even more ridiculous costings.

Silentium

Noone's saying they shouldn't pay it but how do you make an overseas company pay tax in a country they don't even have a real presence in.
Sales taxes just are not capable of dealing with cross border transactions.
That's just not accurate. The point of GST/VAT etc is that the they're collected by the selling entity, not the government. We're not even talking about a significant cost burden, the EU estimate cross border VAT compliance at 5,000 euro per differing regime. And if entities don't comply? There are well established international legal avenues for recourse

EDIT: I have to go out for a bit but I will be back later, I'll respond to peeps
EDIT2: Responded.

The problem with this is that the cost of collection results in a loss on the vast majority of purchases. There was a similar argument on GST for imported goods and the cutoff for profit was something like it only being worthwhile on shipments over ~$500.

The actual reason for blanket GST collection is protectionism/cronyism, ie it artificially increases the competitiveness of Australian companies (the truly sad thing is that in terms of digital goods we already suffer markup levels that mean even this isn't going to make them actually competitive).

I have heard analysis previously that indicated it would be near impossible to enforce and the cost of doing so would offset any extra revenue generated by the government.

My issue is that as a consumer this government is hell bent on gauging every last cent out of the vulnerable masses while ignoring, or in many cases subsidising, the outrageous profits extorted by those at the top of the pyramid.

It's an absolute farce that Valve are still charging in USD on the Australian store, plus the increased prices in general, Steam is fast becoming a terrible place to purchase games.

That's just not accurate. The point of GST/VAT etc is that the they're collected by the selling entity, not the government. We're not even talking about a significant cost burden, the EU estimate cross border VAT compliance at 5,000 euro per differing regime. And if entities don't comply? There are well established international legal avenues for recourse

EDIT: I have to go out for a bit but I will be back later, I'll respond to peeps

You're missing the point.
The Australian government cannot enforce our tax laws on non-residents.
That's our law.

HowZatOZ

Banned
It's an absolute farce that Valve are still charging in USD on the Australian store, plus the increased prices in general, Steam is fast becoming a terrible place to purchase games.
I haven't purchased a game directly on Steam for some time now. No point when I can get it cheaper through other legitimate avenues.

Novocaine

Well it was fun while it lasted I guess... If this bleeds over to PSN I'm going to be really pissed off. We already pay a premium there.

saunderez

The $2b figure is pulled out of someones ass and is not even remotely realistic. There's no way in hell there's $20bn in untaxed imports of intangibles per year. That would equate to 22m people spending $900/year. Each. What a load of horseshit. I'll start listening to arguments for this when realistic numbers are presented.

PaulloDEC

Sorry guys but I don't see why digital video games shouldn't be taxed. This isn't some unjust outrage, it's a logical action for the government to take and it is inevitable.

I want my games as cheap as possible like anyone but I'm not going to pretend that my video games should be tax free when other things aren't.

It wouldn't sting as much if games here weren't already significantly more expensive than they are in many other countries.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Well it was fun while it lasted I guess... If this bleeds over to PSN I'm going to be really pissed off. We already pay a premium there.
Pretty sure you are already paying GST on PSN.

I can't see why Steam should be exempt.

saunderez

Pretty sure you are already paying GST on PSN.

I can't see why Steam should be exempt.
Do they have an Australian presence? No they don't. They don't charge in AUD either. That proves to me they're a foreign entity. A foreign entity is under no obligation to collect tax for the Australian government for a transaction that takes place outside of Australia. That's all it comes down to in the end.

Dryk

The actual reason for blanket GST collection is protectionism/cronyism, ie it artificially increases the competitiveness of Australian companies (the truly sad thing is that in terms of digital goods we already suffer markup levels that mean even this isn't going to make them actually competitive).
Well the alternative is admitting that the LNP passed tax legislation that reduced the competitiveness of Australian businesses and that's never going to happen. Anyway as I said, if we're going to have a GST I'm not going to get upset that it's being applied fairly.

Do they have an Australian presence? No they don't. They don't charge in AUD either. That proves to me they're a foreign entity. A foreign entity is under no obligation to collect tax for the Australian government for a transaction that takes place outside of Australia. That's all it comes down to in the end.

This is it right here.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo maintain local operations because they need to market and supply physical goods. Maintaining the e-stores is a side effect of that.

Steam and Netflix don't. There's no one to tax within the Australian government's jurisdiction.

Have a look at the biggest investors in Australia by country. Cayman Islands is right up there with China. Why? Because we can't stop Australian companies selling stuff to themselves overseas.

This proposed tax is a stupid idea thought up by the stupidest treasurer we've had in history.

Top Bottom