• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very surprised they're putting out a Splatoon port instead of just waiting for the sequel. Maybe it won't be ready anytime soon.

Also, I hope they have a bunch of new software to show off at the unveiling because that's a lot of ports.

orochi91

So is this part of the reason that Sony and Microsoft are developing .5 consoles? Because if so, I might just jump back to Nintendo for the first time since primary school.

I would never be a Nintendo only gamer, unless I'd have a capable PC accompanying it.

Otherwise you'd miss out on way too many 3rd party games and other console exclusives.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Ah shit!!! Nintendo better adapt Blu-ray this time around.

They already essentially did. Wii U discs are basically single-layer Blu-ray discs like how GameCube discs were basically mini-DVD's and Wii discs were basically DVD's. Developed by Panasonic again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_optical_discs

If we get discs again, the only change I can see is a laser or drive capable of reading dual-layer discs of this type, if that was an issue on Wii U.

What's with all these rumors —

*Neiteio pauses and goes pale*

...oh no

*Neiteio runs to the living room and rips open the curtains. Outside in the streets, cars are burning. Everywhere you look, there are men giving people noogies and asking them to pull their finger*

"Uncles! Uncles everywhere!"

bookmarked

Coffinhal

A few babysitting jobs that I took during High School, with parents who refused to let their children use Xbox Live or (now) PSN because it costed money. There's also my own little cousins whose parents won't even let them have Smash 4 DLC or the MK8 Season Pass. Parents can be real penny-pinchers.

Ok so that's a generalization, not a serious assumption based on any survey, data or any kind of report other than your few experiences.

Agree with the rest of the message though, but not because "it's Nintendo, it's for children, all parents don't pay for online".

The CPU not being ass is what excites me the most of all these NX rumors.

Games like the Batman port would have been an instant-buy for me but the way it ran was disappointing to say the least.

dose

I don't get the whole 'struggling to copy player data across' stuff for MM and Splatoon, this makes little sense.

Madao

if that's true about the ports, i'd double dip on Zelda and SSB4.

i've got enough with Splatoon and Mario Maker in their current forms. only way i'd get those again is with some promo or something.

Pastry

Banned
If true, RIP Nintendo. I firmly believe the only way they can be competitive and continue making hardware is to go for the budget console. They'll get eaten alive if they're trying to compete as a "premium" product.

If they can price themselves competitively like back in the Gamecube days then I'll be very pleased. Other than that, the news is pretty exciting so far. I think I've skipped out on all the games getting remastered besides smash.

Numb

I'd take a Mii costume and a port included with Bayo2 re-release

Wonder Red needs to be in Smash. We already have the other stuff and is just a bonus to those without Wii U later on.

Also can we get a normal controller or is that too much to ask?

Crono27

If true, RIP Nintendo. I firmly believe the only way they can be competitive and continue making hardware is to go for the budget console. They'll get eaten alive if they're trying to compete as a "premium" product.

Been hearing rip Nintendo since n64.

WillyFive

Why? I would imagine the opposite to be equally as true, if not more so.

gogogow

Lol. RIP Nintendo with weak HW, RIP Nintendo with powerful HW. Nintendo, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Nintendo doomed since 1889.

But is this a real reason to get excited? It's more rumours after all. Could all turn out to be nonsense and get something completely different.

I hope the NX Zelda looks noticeably better than the Wii U one and this is from someone who is still more interested at the prospect of playing the Wii U version.

It needs something like that out of the gate to get the hype rolling, even if it'll probably only really excite Nintendo fans.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So...ARM vs x86.

Whats the consensus on if its ARM? Some of us said ARM seemed likely because of the handheld.

I havent been following mobile phone specs in awhile but I know Samsung and Apple uses some of the best ARM chips on the planet. I think whats in the Shield isnt too bad either. But thats Nvidia.

Can a home console that uses ARM really be more powerful than the PS4? Curious to know what those with knowledge in chips think.

I don't get the whole 'struggling to copy player data across' stuff for MM and Splatoon, this makes little sense.
That sound wishy-washy as fuck to me. So I dont believe it.

It could of been a bit more believeable if the rumor was controller input issues such as NX controller having no screen.. or a smaller screen.

ethomaz

Banned
Looks a lot like WII U case to be fair.

Wii U is indeed about 50% more powerful than PS3.

I expect NX to be at least 50% more powerful than PS4.

down 2 orth

I would never be a Nintendo only gamer, unless I'd have a capable PC accompanying it.

Otherwise you'd miss out on way too many 3rd party games and other console exclusives.

Yeah I wouldn't stick to just Nintendo, but if this console is good it might become my main gaming fix.

why would that be the reason? The reason Xbox One.5 and PS4.5 might happen is because console new SKUs have become the new price drops. It's an extension of what both of them did last gen packing in games and bigger hard drives with the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Because I don't think Sony or Microsoft would rest easy giving away the tech edge to their competition for potentially more than half a console cycle. Never write Nintendo off is one of those rules.

There is absolutely no market for a budget console. The type of people who would "buy" budget consoles are more likely to just game on their phones

Looks a lot like WII U case to be fair.

Wii U is indeed about 50% more powerful than PS3.

I expect NX to be at least 50% more powerful than PS4.

You realize there is no way to quantify how strong this is, right? We barely know the CPU and no nothing about the GPU or RAM. How can you possibly say it looks like the Wii U this early on?

Nanashrew

Banned

If the tech is much cheaper they still can. Tech is actually improving, maturing and getting cheaper faster than ever. Just about anything can beat those Jaguar CPUs in the PS4 and XBO, and those newer and better CPUs are cheap now too.

Banned
So no big concept behind the NX ? Just a home console that can handle current-gen quality games ; and maybe a new handheld later with some ports. It seems just like a Wii U+3DS with more 3rd party to me. It's weird that we have news about the architecture, the games, the remasters, the handled plans but nothing on the big concept promised etc.

Yeah, let's put to trash all our media planning for the next year because there are —believe it or not — rumors about a new console.
Are you serious or gaffing?
There is a big concept. Nobody will spill the beans though.

They're really trying to compete directly with PS4/XB1? This will not end well.

not that it would have ended well any other way

Pastry

Banned
There is absolutely no market for a budget console. The type of people who would "buy" budget consoles are more likely to just game on their phones

Right but on the opposite spectrum there isn't a market for a third high-end console. I don't see why the average consumer would opt for that when the two other options are established consoles with upcoming revisions.

Schnozberry

So...ARM vs x86.

Whats the consensus on if its ARM? Some of us said ARM seemed likely because of the handheld.

I havent been following mobile phone specs in awhile but I know Samsung and Apple uses some of the best ARM chips on the planet. I think whats in the Shield isnt too bad either. But thats Nvidia.

Can a home console that uses ARM really be more powerful than the PS4? Curious to know what those with knowledge in chips think.

ARM A72 cores at 2ghz should be a nice performance increase over the 1.6-1.75ghz Jaguar Cores in the PS4 and XB1. Ports from the other consoles would be slightly more difficult, but not impossibly so.

Something tells me that the smash 4 port on the NX will have new content. I think there's a good chance the dlc characters will be included, but I think new ones will come(along with the wii u). If you're gonna get the wii u smash crowd to buy the NX version, new content is really the way to do it.

Really hoping Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers come back. I think IC and Wolf have a great chance, if we get more characters.

What's a budget console? Like, something for around $150?

No one's going to buy that. Look at the Apple TV.

dose

That sound wishy-washy as fuck to me. So I dont believe it.

It could of been a bit more believeable if the rumor was controller input issues such as NX controller having no screen.. or a smaller screen.
Yeh exactly, when I start seeing stuff like that it just suggests that the rest could be BS too. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom