• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without clockspeeds and type of ram config (ddr3? GDDR5? edram?) it is still possibly gimped in that Nintendo favors cool, quiet, and small, basically super low power use like Wii U.

That pretty much fits in with the "technically more powerful" rumor.

Big Nikus

Lol. RIP Nintendo with weak HW, RIP Nintendo with powerful HW. Nintendo, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Nintendo doomed since 1889.

Basically,

dy1P5qs.gif

Numb

To be fair, I'm way more interested in buying a new platform than buying a second PS4 regardless of any upgrades it gets.

Nail on the head
New upgrades are cool but new console always brings more hype
Nintendo should launch with different versions to compete Original and NX-Next that's like the PS4K lol

antonz

They're really trying to compete directly with PS4/XB1? This will not end well.

not that it would have ended well any other way

They have no choice. The Console Generations where 2 or 3 engines existed for 3 or 4 different devices are dead. The Industry is consolidating around very specific engines etc. You either playball or you go home alone.

bachikarn

I don't get the whole 'struggling to copy player data across' stuff for MM and Splatoon, this makes little sense.

I also don't get why that would kill the project. Seems like something they would want, but not a big enough deal to not release them.

orioto

Good Art™
There is a big concept. Nobody will spill the beans though.

I still hope it's head or eye tracking, or something like that, cause that, with enough power for nice ports, would give them an edge even for non nintendo gamers.

A simple way to point at things on screen, not with your hands, but at head level, would change everything.

Just imagine FFXV, NX version. It runs better than on PS4 AND you can select the enemy you're aiming without any button. Game changer, for every game.

element

Love the speculation, but a CPU 20% to 30% faster than PS4 really depends on what exactly they are using to benchmark. If it is AMD architecture it would probably be based on Carrizo or Kaveri APUs designs.

I can't see them going past 8 GB of RAM, just from a cost perspective.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Everything sounds pretty reasonable but I have a question about the specs. Is the GPU stuff just conjecture based on CPU info?

Trago

Lack of handheld details and 'focus' is puzzling. Handhelds are holding them together.

Power is whatever. It means nothing if publishers aren't on board.

antonz

Lack of handheld details and 'focus' is puzzling. Handhelds are holding them together.

Really depends on who is talking. Major handheld support is never coming from the west and as such any studios in the west who have handheld details would be very easy to trace

Another NX fanwank wishful thinking rumour. Great, its not like we havent had one of those before...

Its funny how many rumour start by stating that the NX will be more powerful than the PS4/X1 without even one explaining Why.

Its like these fanboys have collectively forgotten that the hardware in both consoles was designed to support features outside of traditional gaming....

In terms of the potential graphical fidelity of PS4K games vs the NX - wouldn't the PS4K suffer in the sense that the games will most likely be made with the PS4 vanilla as the focus?

Ad0ve

Banned

Hanhelds are dying, so Nintendo cant keep relying on those

Power is important because you want to be able to run the engines that every developer is using now

Smash NX wishlist:

Custom moves for DLC characters
Palutena Guidances for DLC characters
Fix the CSS
Ice Climbers
Some newcomers like Inkling or something
All 3DS stages
Enable Palutena to use her customs when customs are off like Miis

VariantX

If the tech is much cheaper they still can. Tech is actually improving, maturing and getting cheaper faster than ever. Just about anything can beat those Jaguar CPUs in the PS4 and XBO, and those newer and better CPUs are cheap now too.

Anything that removes barriers to software development can only be a good thing for both consumers who have more choices and developers who have to port or build their games for it who don't have to worry about what features or visuals they'd have to strip out.

Grand Theft Auto on a Nintendo console, I never thought I'd see the day.

The NES, SNES, and GameCube were the most powerful consoles of their respective gen.
Wrong on all three counts:

(In terms of just technical power)

NES < Master System

SNES < Neo Geo*

Gamecube < Xbox

*This is technically true but at the same time the Neo-Geo was well out of the price range, so I'm willing to give them this one since SNES was more powerful than Genesis aside from CPU, and more powerful than PC-Engine in all cases. Then again, it came out years after both systems so it had better been xD.

Ivan 3414

More power, or rather, power comparable to current competition makes it easier for publishers to be on board.

Madao

Would ports of these games imply the system isn't backwards compatible?

it would be for the best sadly.

the frankenstein-grade mashup that is the Wii U CPU and GPU was one of the big things holding back the console's power and it was expensive on top of it.

discarding all of it and going with a brand new CPU and GPU would give them a powerful and affordable machine at the same time. they can easily beat the PS4 if they discard BC since they already have the advantage of tech on the same ballpark being cheaper now.

they can resort to emulation for BC with any pre-Wii U console since GC and Wii would be within emulation range in a box more powerful than PS4 (i hear PS4 does well with PS2 classics)

paolo11

I wanted a Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster for NX. One can dream,right?

But NX being more powerful is interesting. If May 9 is the reveal date, it's sooner than expected.

Any news with the controls?

Kimawolf

I still hope it's head or eye tracking, or something like that, cause that, with enough power for nice ports, would give them an edge even for non nintendo gamers.

A simple way to point at things on screen, not with your hands, but at head level, would change everything.

Just imagine FFXV, NX version. It runs better than on PS4 AND you can select the enemy you're aiming without any button. Game changer, for every game.

so this? I can't wait! " http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/3-28-2014/6ezNDf.gif

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Going to need some significant new content in these ports if I'm going to be convinced to rebuy them. Not super hyped for ports, talk to me about something new.

Trago

Really depends on who is talking. Major handheld support is never coming from the west and as such any studios in the west who have handheld details would be very easy to trace

True, but I don't really expect anything different with their console.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
New characters in smash and new gamers = more amiibo to sell. They can keep the smash bros set alive for another year or two, if they want.

Yeah, that would make senses. I'm not sure what Sakurai would do with Smash 4 NX. I just hope that they would decide to add new contents to the game so it would convince people to purchase the game.

BD1

Banned
I think Nintendo is missing the boat not turning Mario Maker into a cross platform "service" on NX, Wii U, iOS, Android, etc.

Design and play your own courses on any platform. Play all the user created levels on NX. Release a steady stream on content for a price.

Maximum profit.

MK_768

Another NX fanwank wishful thinking rumour. Great, its not like we havent had one of those before...

Its funny how many rumour start by stating that the NX will be more powerful than the PS4/X1 without even one explaining Why.

Its like these fanboys have collectively forgotten that the hardware in both consoles was designed to support features outside of traditional gaming....

*sigh*

This rumor is backed by a reputable leaker but okay...

Josh5890

Granted these are rumors but it sounds like Nintendo is trying to work it out where Wii-U owners can play some games (Splatoon, Smash) with NX owners and not feel forced to purchase the same game again. Meanwhile the NX can get a nice, early library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom