• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asura's Wrath |OT|

Getting S ranks on some levels is a pain in the ass. I blitz through without getting touched and still miss it. D:

(This was on hard at least)

What are you missing on? If it's combat, be sure to use as many finishers, counters and jump kicks as possible. If I'm not mistaken, the points you get for uppercuts and jump kicks is double that of a standard attack. I've noticed that fighting beyond the Burst gauge notification helps as well. And if it's a on rails stage, wait until you max your lock on limit before firing off.

As for the whole Mortal gauge thing, I think it unlocks after either a certain number of S ranks or S ranking an entire difficulty.

Volcynika

What are you missing on? If it's combat, be sure to use as many Finishers, counters and jump kicks as possible. If I'm not mistaken, the points you get for uppercuts and jump kicks is double that of a standard combo. I've noticed that fighting beyond the Burst gauge notification helps as well.

As for the whole Mortal gauge thing, I think I unlocked it after either a certain number of S ranks or S ranking an entire difficulty.

Sometimes it's completion time (get an A) and then combat (try to do all the moves). So sometimes I end up with two's A's and an S.

Sometimes it's completion time (get an A) and then combat (try to do all the moves). So sometimes I end up with two's A's and an S.

As I'm sure you noticed, if you get at least two S ranks combined with an A, it'll give you an S as your final grade. Unless you really want to SSS rank every stage, I'd say just focus on time or combat grades. If I noticed my time was garbage, I would mainly just focus on racking up combat points while trying to slide just under the grade timer. Otherwise, I would blast though the stage as fast as possible while activating the Burst gauge as soon as it was available.

Jintor

I'm kind of wondering if I've been desensitised to 'epic' moments; I'm listening to Brad on the Bombcast freaking out about the crazy-ass bullshit and instead of being "WOOOO HOLY FUCK WHAT" my reaction was more like "Hey, that's cool"

Combat grade help advice I'd give is use a lot of special attacks. The attacks qued on down enemies from your dash attacks.

Speaking of s ranks I'm getting angry on ep 16. I excellent all prompts except for 2. Hmm maybe I need more sleep

I'm kind of wondering if I've been desensitised to 'epic' moments; I'm listening to Brad on the Bombcast freaking out about the crazy-ass bullshit and instead of being "WOOOO HOLY FUCK WHAT" my reaction was more like "Hey, that's cool"
Eh given our exposure to anime and other games I'd agree with what you said. However ep 11, still balls to the wall oh damn for me

Torraz

Even though I've watched quite a bit of anime the moments in the demo were still "HOLY WTF SHIT OMG AWESOME" for me.

~~~

Anyways, I held an import copy of the game in my hands today, but put it down because I still have two questions:

1) Are there language options? If so, is it like the demo (full english or full japanese, depending on system language) or can one choose japanese dub with english subs or is it english only? I wouldn't mind either of the first two options since this is one game I would replay since I really loved BOTH the english (masterfully done!) and the japanese dubs.

2) Can someone, without spoilering anything, make any educated guesses regarding whether the game would be more fun with or without the two announced DLC episodes? I'm unsure whether to wait for them or whether I should reserve them for my second playthrough. Since it could be like LA Noire (which I gather was better without all the DLC).

Thanks!

Even though I've watched quite a bit of anime the moments in the demo were still "HOLY WTF SHIT OMG AWESOME" for me.

~~~

Anyways, I held an import copy of the game in my hands today, but put it down because I still have two questions:

1) Are there language options? If so, is it like the demo (full english or full japanese, depending on system language) or can one choose japanese dub with english subs or is it english only? I wouldn't mind either of the first two options since this is one game I would replay since I really loved BOTH the english (masterfully done!) and the japanese dubs.

2) Can someone, without spoilering anything, make any educated guesses regarding whether the game would be more fun with or without the two announced DLC episodes? I'm unsure whether to wait for them or whether I should reserve them for my second playthrough. Since it could be like LA Noire (which I gather was better without all the DLC).

Thanks!
Answer to 1 yes jpn voice and subs. Answer to 2 eh the dlc? I say meh. Game is fun as is

Torraz

Bloody game was sold out, although apparently some other strores have broken the street date and are already selling it. If I can't find a copy tomorrow I'll cry and consider it a sign to wait for the bomba price.

Xevren

What a wild ride. Had a lot of fun with the game and wish I still had more to play through. Just a batshit crazy time! Also, Yasha's theme is so good.

TheOGB

Banned
Hoping to pick this up sometime soon, any deals going on anywhere?

I'm still hesitant to buy at $60, but I do want to buy it. Convince me it's worth it?

And I found this unfinished earlier, spent the last 45 minutes finishing it:
qretm.png

Tenbatsu

Finished the game in one sitting and well, I enjoyed it very much.
Btw, in the final cutscene, is the spider referring to the player? I think it makes more sense that way.

ezekial45

Banned
This was a really enjoyable game. I was initially in the crowd that thought this was gonna be a shallow QTE fest, which it is; but playing through it is such a rush. The demo was a pretty poor representation of the game. The context and the impact of the sections that came before made it so much more enjoyable.

With that, $60 is still pretty steep for a game like this. So I'd understand that people might balk at that price. But still, this game was a treat to play through. I really enjoyed my time with it. Simply watching the game on youtube doesn't do the game justice at all. You may think you're getting the same experience, but you're really not.

Gravijah

finally beat this last night.

as i've said to many friends who have asked about it, this is the kind of game i can't really recommend buying at 60 dollars, or even 40 dollars, but it's the kind of game i recommend experiencing at least once, in some form, whether that be for really cheap, or a rental. i really enjoyed it.

This was a really enjoyable game. I was initially in the crowd that thought this was gonna be a shallow QTE fest, which it is; but playing through it is such a rush. The demo was a pretty poor representation of the game. The context and the impact of the sections that came before made it so much more enjoyable.

With that, $60 is still pretty steep for a game like this. So I'd understand that people might balk at that price. But still, this game was a treat to play through. I really enjoyed my time with it. Simply watching the game on youtube doesn't do the game justice at all. You may think you're getting the same experience, but you're really not.

Agreed 100%

mudkyp

Just beat the game today and the single thing I'm most impressed with is the storytelling. The fact that the writers took time to show Asura with his family and not constantly in anger mode was a really nice touch that helped to add some levity to the story.

I also like to think of the game as a myth or fable, especially a creation type story. It makes all the over the top moments have larger meaning.

And finally, the Buddhist/Sci-Fi trapping are incredible. I want the art book for this game so bad.

For me, this was worth the $60 just for being different and fresh, but I can see how that is not an appealing price for most people.

Nemesis_

Finished and reviewed this recently. What a great ride it was. The demo was a bit too much QTE and not enough gameplay, it's not super representative.

Loved the hot springs. Love Asura s a character which was the biggest surprise for me.

frequency

I really need to get started on this before I get spoiled by some careless jerk.

I'm surprised how many positive reactions there are in this thread. It was getting so much hate before release. I love CC2 so I was going to get it no matter what. I don't care for the Naruto universe, but I bought those games just because of CC2. And the absolute best part of those were the quick time moments. So I knew I would enjoy Asura's Wrath to some extent.

I'm on chapter 17. I don't regret the purchase AT ALL.

The music is amazing and much to my surprise, while the story has all sorts of "WHAT THE FU-" moments, it's actually well told and engaging to boot.

The quick time stuff actually doesn't bother me because it tends to be synched up with the actions on screen, I.E pulling the sticks apart as Asura opens his arms, etc. I also think the combat, while simple, is a lot of fun and super smooth/visually engaging. This is the first time in AGES that I'm going to complete a single player 'action' game on a home console.

Harlock

In the demo they show 10 logos, one after other, without option to skip, before the title screen. The same thing happen in the full version?

Just played the demo....so fun, it had me smiling. Definitely looking to pick this up later on when all the dlc hits and at a decent price.

Jamie OD

Bought and completed the game over the weekend. Even though I doubt I will play it again, I was glad I got it. They did an excellent job making the levels feel like episodes and seasons of a TV series with the usual tropes you'd expect to find in anime fitting in perfectly. It is just once I watched them, I had no immediate desire to go back and play them again.

I did take a liking to Asura. At first I was expecting an Akuma knock-off but he was fleshed out pretty well the further I got into the story. I'll be glad to see him added to any of the Capcom crossover games in the future.

frequency

Is the DLC Japan only? Does the Asian version get it?

I'm really considering re-purchasing the game so I can get the DLC. It doesn't look like we'll get it in NA. Asian version is significantly cheaper than Japanese version.

Is the Asian version in this case just a repackaged Japanese disc (with a Chinese manual) like some other games?

monome

Why would the DLC not release in western countries?

Oh, and all of you that praise the game but rented it or are all over it but waiting for price drop. Well, see you in Hell.

Everybody can buy or no buy a game, but even though the game has limited controls, it clearly is a next-gen game with a nice budget. that it is experimental does not take away of its price value.

you pay the same for Transformers XXIII and a rom-com, yet their budgets are nothing to compare.

Hopefully Capcom releases the true true ending through DLC, or spins the franchise to make it more approachable the next-time around (although I'll gladly pay 60€ for a sequele as is).

I'm sad 3 of my most appreciated games this gen are PoP 2008, Enslaved and Asura's Wrath...like I bring bad luck...

frequency

Well, there's been no announcement on the DLC and it's nowhere in sight. Unless it'll just come out with no news?

The game didn't sell that well (under 40,000 copies I think?) and the DLC would require localization since it's like all story stuff. The first few don't even have any gameplay - it's just animated shorts.
I don't know how true this is, but when I think Capcom, I think about how they've passed on localizing content that might not sell well - like Last Ranker, MHP3.

I'll wait a bit and see I guess.

monome

I don't think Capcom would stop releasing the DLC seing how much they've invested in the game.

Plus, Asura, as a character, still is milkeable.

That said, I received my Asura's Wrath Collectors Edition today, it's nice and colored.

There are 22 episodes depicted, hehe. That said Episode 18 is 17 in there, and there are drawings for stuff that is not yet in the game, especially post DAT TRUE ENDING, although it's pretty much one or two illustrations per episode.

Don't know if I can scan the stuff? if a mod chimes in it would be nice to let me know.
I'm talking about scanning somes pages of the art book given to pre-orderers.

Just beat the game a few minutes ago. I absolutely loved it. Had some of the wildest, epic moments I've ever seen in any form of media.

I borrowed this from a friend but I don't think I would have regretted buying this. Take note that I used to be really into anime in general, and this really got me going on nostalgia for big over the top battles, dialogue, and story....I want more games based on anime using this style of presentation. Gungrave, Cowboy Bebop....would be so cool.

Also of note for anyone who may have been turned off by the demo, I can also say that there is much more combat than the demo would lead you to believe. Yes, there are many, many, many cutscenes, but the ratio of gameplay to cutscene isn't as skewed as they would seem from the demo. My friend who slightly mocked the demo when I was playing it just watched me play the last 3 hours in a row if that says anything as well.

i'm seeing a lot of people saying they love the game, but don't feel like going through it again..i believe the episodic setup discourages replay, I beat the game once, enjoyed it immensely and if i could play every boss battle back to back, without having to hammer x to skip the cutscenes and previews between episodes....

i think a boss rush mode, stage remix mode, or a mode where you went through , or even a survival/horde mode going against varying enemies and bosses..

the lack of modes hurts this games replay value, and i so want to see some sort of sequel..

frequency

i'm seeing a lot of people saying they love the game, but don't feel like going through it again..i believe the episodic setup discourages replay, I beat the game once, enjoyed it immensely and if i could play every boss battle back to back, without having to hammer x to skip the cutscenes and previews between episodes....

i think a boss rush mode, stage remix mode, or a mode where you went through , or even a survival/horde mode going against varying enemies and bosses..

the lack of modes hurts this games replay value, and i so want to see some sort of sequel..

I don't replay games that often anyway.
And as much as I love the idea of Asura's Wrath, I'll be the first to admit it's not so much a game as it is an experience.
It's an interactive blu ray as far as I'm concerned. The price of entry is cheaper than what it would cost to get a season of anything on blu ray. So there's absolutely no question about value here for me.

Because this is more like a show than a game to me, I'm more likely to come back to this in the future than many other games.

I would love a sequel and more games from CC2 like this.

Mdk7

I really enjoyed the game, and i definitely want more.

One thing i didn't understand... that Ryu thing was just random official trolling from Capcom, or a real screen taken from an actual DLC to come?

Torraz

Ordered the game and it should have arrived a week ago but I guess it got stolen/lost somewhere along the way. FML.

monome

Ordered the game and it should have arrived a week ago but I guess it got stolen/lost somewhere along the way. FML.

that sucks...

As far as Ryu is concerned, it's probably an Ono trolling. As well as dope fan service.

Ready to scan but not ready to lose my gaf account, is there a mod in particular I should ask? I know Duckroll likes his anime stuff.

d0c_zaius

yea I agree. Its unfortunately that the little replay value offered (the extra episode) doesn't have that much content. After finding that out, I was less than enthused to try and play through everything again for a better rating.

Top Bottom