• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story is the most successful game in XSEED history

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, can't argue that.

I know demidar was being silly, but what if there was a (serious) Japanese developed RPG that shared a similar aesthetic to the "bald space marine" stereotype? Makes me wonder anyway.

Probably would do worse than a typical anime fantasy RPG. Look how well Quantum Theory did, that was a Japanese made game that tried to look like Gears of War and that was a bomb. If a Japanese company actually dared to try this, it would alienate most of the fans who prefer their RPGs for their imaginative worlds and attractive artwork, and it wouldn't make a dent in the casual marketplace.

Zomba13

I'd love a Last Story 2 with the same characters.

I bet the online is dead now :( I quite enjoyed it around launch.

Add me to the list that got the game for $8 from Amazon. I think it's a good game, like most of Mistwalkers output, but it's lightyears from Xenoblade Chronicles.

The last couple of months have been great for me. Recent Wii games have gone on clearance such as; Rhtymn Heaven $5-$10, Fortune Street $10-$15, and Last Story $8. I'm still waiting on Kirby's Return to Dreamland to drop.

I really hate liking niche games.

So tired of hearing 50K are 'good sales' for my JRPG games.

What would it take to get CoD or Halo sales for a JRPG, and 'not' change the gameplay? Can it be done?

Raging jingoism in-game and the ability to mass murder minorities, particularly ones with brown skin. That's what it would take, as that's what sells CoD.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You missed that Fire Emblem 3DS got announced for next year at around E3?

Wrong game, the 3DS game is FE13. FE12 is the second DS game (and is a remake of FE3/sequel to Shadow Dragon).

And anyway, the fan translation for that game will be released any day now. There's a thread for it around here somewhere.

Well shit. They would lower the price a week after I buy the bloody game, wouldn't they?

How am I going to get rid of it after I beat it now (you know, so I can buy a Wii U game)?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nice. Win/win all around, then.
Fans ultimately got what they wanted.
And once they could, they actually went out and got it.

This is the kind of success story you wish could happen more often.

cloudyy

Change the swords to guns in TLS and you're well on your way to Mass Effect!
I hated Mass Effect but loved TLS, aside from the fact that you're controlling only 1 character and that giving commands pauses the game, they are nothing alike.

Aeana

I hated Mass Effect but loved TLS, aside from the fact that you're controlling only 1 character and that giving commands pauses the game, they are nothing alike.

I love Mass Effect and didn't like TLS much, but that has no bearing on the level of similarity in game design between the two. Particularly with area and encounter design.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well really, Awakening should be FE11. The two DS games are remakes, not sequels.

Logically. But IS apparently considered them their own numbered entries into the series. Probably just because it doesn't make a difference, the games are all subtitled and not "officially" numbered anyway.

WillyFive

Why would you count remakes as numbered games? Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem should still be Fire Emblem 1 and 2, same they have been since the 80s.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Have neither played TLS nor Xenoblade so popular opinion is Xenoblade > TLS?

Xenoblade is fantastic, and is one of my favorite games this generation.

Last Story was mediocre, in my opinion. Mediocre probably isn't the best word to describe my feelings about the game, but I can't really think of anything better in my sleep-deprived state.

Seda

Seems that way, although I know a handful of people who strongly believe the inverse. I haven't played TLS yet, so I can't comment personally.

It's funny because there is always a pile of them in my local Best Buy. I was under the impression it didn't sell that well. Guess that proves anecdotal evidence is unreliable. Glad to hear it did well, though.

Now bring over Pandora's Tower God dammit.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It's a shame I can't get Xenoblade numbers :(

Stupid limited-channel release.

Oh well, I bought both full priced, so I did my part.
~15 hours in TLS and love it. Haven't opened Xeno yet, too many damn games and I'm scared of the length.

Esque7

I only have a short time over winter break to play games, what's the length of TLS? Xeno I know will be too long, but if this is rather short I'll give it a playthough.

D-e-f-

Banned

TLS combat sounds more like what the original concept for ME's combat was shown off.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I only have a short time over winter break to play games, what's the length of TLS? Xeno I know will be too long, but if this is rather short I'll give it a playthough.

Took me 21 hours to complete (for comparison Xenoblade took me 93 hours).

C.T.

Okay guys, another question, I hope nobody hits me; living in europe is one of my excuses: I have got Baten Kaitos: Origins since years and have neither played it or the first. Which game should I play first Xenoblade or Baten Kaitos: Origins considering I have not a lot of time right now? (Sorry to be OT but being close to finish Radiant Historia makes me want to play a great rpg next.)

Paranerd

Neo Member

Last Story was mediocre, in my opinion. Mediocre probably isn't the best word to describe my feelings about the game, but I can't really think of anything better in my sleep-deprived state.

^ This post echoes my feelings on the two. I liked the characters in The Last Story, but I didn't enjoy the combat.

Famassu

But.. but... Wii is not good for 3rd party games wah wah wah
Well, "most successful" for XSeed doesn't necessarily mean much. Their other games don't really sell gangbusters...

Though, it seems XSeed is happy with the sales, so that's more important than how successful Last Story is in relation to similar titles.

both were different takes on pushing the JRPG forward.

One was more MMORPG like in nature while the other was more of the cinematic

I loved both, but Xeno was more my style in terms of exploration.

After spending so many hours in Xeno i was pleasantly surprised that Last Story was as different as it was. I think I would have been burned out even more if it was "trying to be Xenoblade"

Story wise, Xeno seemed to have more twists while Last Story seemed to be playing it safe (IMO) which made TLS's story look really tame in comparison

redlemon

I really hate liking niche games.

So tired of hearing 50K are 'good sales' for my JRPG games.

What would it take to get CoD or Halo sales for a JRPG, and 'not' change the gameplay? Can it be done?

Wait for teenagers tastes in games to shift away from CoD and hope some of them pick-up JRPG's instead like in the 32bit era.

I want you to take a ballpark guess how many copies The Last Story would need to sell to be XSEED's most successful game ever.

Then I want you to take a ballpark guess at how many games you think most publishers would consider a good total for an original title (IE not a title they simply licensed for US release).
I want you to think if it is indeed not the fault of publishers and developers to want to only make games with tens of million budget, teams in hundreds and development time of few years.

Regardless of answer to your questions, I firmly believe the last story had become profitable at least since they talked about the possibility of a sequel

Glad the game did well for XSEED. It's always good to see niche games and publishers finding success. Now invest that money in the translation of TitS SC.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
THat's pretty cool, never bought a NA version but I enjoy my UK version.

Last Story is one of the top 5 favorite JRPGs in my opinion.

Probably would do worse than a typical anime fantasy RPG. Look how well Quantum Theory did, that was a Japanese made game that tried to look like Gears of War and that was a bomb. If a Japanese company actually dared to try this, it would alienate most of the fans who prefer their RPGs for their imaginative worlds and attractive artwork, and it wouldn't make a dent in the casual marketplace.

Circle gets the square. Eat out of the big dog's bowl while he's still chowing down and end up on the pile with all the others.

Raging jingoism in-game and the ability to mass murder minorities, particularly ones with brown skin. That's what it would take, as that's what sells CoD.

Uhhhh, you went too far there, but the nihilistic tribalism mentality has been a strong theme in many of my favorite JRPGs (handled much better, though). Hell, it's a big part of alot of WRPG classics too.

Midou

Yes. I didn't really enjoy TLS but loved Xenoblade. Last Story has some of the most awful boss fights of any JRPG, offline at least. The amount of derp AI party members can go through is unfathomable.

aktham

The collectors edition of The Last Story sits on my shelf waiting for me to play it once I finished Xenoblade.

Should have played TLC first. It's about 20-25 hours total. I'm 47 hours into Xenoblade and just got done with Makna forest and moving to the "next area".

I actually took a break during a chapter end and beat TLC during that little break from Xenoblade.

I wish this was a sign that there was still hope for Pandora's Tower (budget release, anybody?), but who am I kidding?

At least my Wii digital purchases are on my Wii U and I can region-free the old workhorse without any worries now.

rjc571

Banned
I imported all three rainfall games from Europe... didn't double dip on the US releases of the first two but I'd gladly buy an extra copy of Pandora's Tower if they brought it to the US. That game needs more love!

Top Bottom