• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story is the most successful game in XSEED history

Zekes!

I'm glad to hear it did well for them. I really liked the game despite the fact it could've used a lot more polish. Here's hoping we get a sequel or a spiritual successor or something one day.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Considering all the great games XSeed released, this news makes me kinda sad.
Well, on the other hand it's always good when they have at least some successful games.

This was my entire point; something being "the most successful game in XSEED history" is a good thing for XSEED, but not particularly germane for other publishers--even smaller ones like Atlus--not at all relevant for original titles which have development expenses, and certainly not relevant at establishing this sour-grapes "Why didn't 3rd parties support the Wii more strongly earlier?" narrative.

What I meant was, you're suggesting this isn't representative of why the Wii could have potentially been a good platform for third parties by outlining variables that would have negatively affected a "regular" effort made by a publisher that had to actually fund the development of the game.

But, if you want to go that route, you should also factor in the variables that would have positively affected a product's viability on the Wii, or recognize variables that would normally have hindered a title and that The Last Story was a success in spite of them.

And I'm not saying that these variables are absolutely equal and cancel each other out or anything, but I'm saying that, just as you are tired of the "Why didn't 3rd parties support the Wii more strongly earlier?" narrative, I'm equally frustrated with the claims that "Only Nintendo games can succeed on Nintendo platforms," or that "There were no opportunities for success on the Wii".

The Last Story's success doesn't translate directly to, "All third party games would have sold gangbusters on the Wii," but I don't think it should be downplayed either.

Mit-

As a GameStop employee I am quite literally astounded this has been deemed that much of a success. I personally don't think I have sold a single copy of the game, and the copies we have in store are from the same batch we got at launch.

And dammit I don't like paying a lot of money for games that I won't play in a long time due to my backlog, but I really want that sexy case which is going to become increasingly hard to find and expensive.

I'm just glad Xseed has something to be happy about, they always bring me the games I want that no one else will, and they do a damn good job of it.

demidar

Well, can't argue that.

I know demidar was being silly, but what if there was a (serious) Japanese developed RPG that shared a similar aesthetic to the "bald space marine" stereotype? Makes me wonder anyway.

I can't wait for the requisite bath scene!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PR

http://www.xseedgames.com/news.php?id=171

XSEED Games Releases New Standalone Version of The Last Story to replace the sold-out Premium Launch Edition

Highly Acclaimed Action RPG Title from Legendary Game Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Most Successful Title in Publisher’s History

Torrance, Calif., (November 20th, 2012) - XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, is pleased to celebrate the success of its hit action RPG, The Last Story, by announcing that it is releasing an all-new standalone version of the Wii™ exclusive, which started shipping today to select retailers throughout North America at an MSRP of $29.99. In addition to this new standalone game package, any remaining copies of the premium launch units at retailers, which included a bonus 44-page softcover art book packaged together with the game in a custom outer box, are now available for $39.99.

“The Last Story has been an amazing title for XSEED Games and it has become our most successful title to date,” said Ken Berry, Executive Vice President at XSEED Games. “This is a must have title for RPG fans, and we’re looking forward to more players discovering the magic that lies in Lazulis Island.”

Developed by legendary game creator Hironobu Sakaguchi and his studio MISTWALKER in conjunction with Nintendo, The Last Story has enjoyed global praise from critics and fans for its brilliance in storytelling, character interaction, immersive audio and music, cover-based action combat and mystical setting.

The Last Story centers on a band of mercenaries and follows them on their journey to gain wealth and notoriety. Throughout the adventure, players will experience an engaging story with an emphasis on immersion and environmental interaction. Gameplay is action-oriented, utilizing a cover system and both ranged and melee combat, but also includes strategic elements such as a battle command system which players can use to issue orders to party members on-the-fly, expertly blending classic turn-based mechanics with real-time action combat.

The Last Story follows Zael and his band of fellow adventurers as they travel to Lazulis Island, the only region prospering as the mainland of the Empire slowly rots away, in their search for work, opportunity, and a better future. After securing employment with the ruler of the island, Count Arganan, Zael dreams of finally achieving a secure life as a knight and putting his unstable mercenary past behind him, but things don’t exactly go to plan when events during their first mission change his life forever…

The Last Story was developed by MISTWALKER and Nintendo, exclusively for Wii. The game is published by XSEED Games and has started shipping to retailers in North America and will be in stores later this week. More information can be found on the product website at www.thelaststorywii.com

Edit: Merging made this post useless.

demidar

I'm pretty sure NoA would deem 50k somewhat of a failure.

On one hand, that is a low number for bigger publishers, but on the other they are supporting a fanbase that is quite hungry. Will this pay dividends? We won't really know.

Good for niche publishers, but I didn't really like the game. In fact, the linearity and ,,drab'' artstyle some weren't really fond of were things I was looking forward to, but then it had several problems elsewhere I really didn't see coming.

Didn't Reggie say that Xenoblade Chronicles did well for them? I wonder how much that sold.

I think it generally profited more from the hype in EU/US. NoE was apparently surprised that their first shipment of Xeno was sold out almost immediately.

Arla

XSEED: "The Last Story is our most successful title and we're very pleased with the sales.".

GAF: "LOL it only sold 50k, XSEED lying, its a failure."

Wow. I still need to pick up a copy. Hell, I haven't even started Xenoblade, and I'm only a couple dungeons into Skyward Sword. I'm a bad RPG fan these past couple years...

Toki767

XSEED: "The Last Story is our most successful title and we're very pleased with the sales.".

People are saying it's a failure? Selling 50k when you don't have to pay for localization must have given them a pretty hefty profit.

Good to hear for xSeed. Since Atlus has been getting further and further outside of the "niche" market, it's nice to see others stepping in the last couple years.

Spiegel

Sadly 50k is still a pitiful number for a great looking RPG from Sakaguchi*.

*This comment shouldn't be taken as me blaming the console or saying that this is not a success for Xseed, just lamenting the circumstances and the fate of Mistwalker because I really loved Lost Oddysey and wanted Sagakuchi to keep making these big budget RPG (no matter where).

Mm, not going to agree with you since I don't like TLS very much.
I'm not a big fan either, but still better than ME (I only played the first one).

TLS is similar to NMH, I enjoyed the game's setting and characters, but gameplay-wise there's nothing really interesting.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

First of all, "GAF" didn't say anything, and no one is forcing you to take part in discussion here.

Second of all, no one has claimed XSEED is lying

Third of all, no one has claimed the game was a failure for XSEED

Fourth of all, if you do not believe that the game sold (approximately) 50k units at US retail, how many units do you think it has sold and what basis do you have for thinking so? John Harker was, presumably based on his record here, posting NPD figures.

Aeana

Nobody is saying it's a failure, we've said that each company has different metrics and expenses. 50k is very successful considering how XSEED's other games sell, and probably moreso in this case since they didn't have to translate it themselves.

You should also quote the person/people you're talking about instead of attributing it to some nebulous "GAF."

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

Who said they were lying? They publish niche games and this game was one they didn't even have to do all the localization work for. That's all people have said especially in light of those who think that Nintendo passing on this was some kind of huge mistake, maybe they should've gave these games a chance but they wouldn't have lost out on anything all that big by passing, it's not even on the same level as Sony passing on Demon's Souls.

thefro

Pretty smart to cut the price to $30 to take advantage of 1) all the Wiis still out there, and 2) the Wii U launch.

Glad it's been successful for them.

Toth

Glad to hear it. While it was not the greatest RPG ever,it was a very enjoyable game , like an Uncharted style RPG. I highly recommend anyone pick up now at this price because it is worth it.

Takao

Banned
I really hate liking niche games.

So tired of hearing 50K are 'good sales' for my JRPG games.

What would it take to get CoD or Halo sales for a JRPG, and 'not' change the gameplay? Can it be done?

A time machine to travel back to 1999.

Top Bottom