• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story is the most successful game in XSEED history

Great news for XSEED! But I'll just quote what I said 1.5 months ago about why I don't think this is indicative of anything other than success for XSEED:

This entire opinion piece is premised on the apparent success of Xenoblade and TLS in North America, and yet we don't even know what constituted "success" (or, sales that were "quite well") in either case. For both games, each publisher had access to a pre-existing English language script/voice work - I'm only speculating, but I would imagine that this factor significantly cut down on the cost of localizing each title, which might mean that the threshold for copies sold in order to be profitable was lower. Nintendo also probably had some financial support/kickback from Gamestop, which could have further lowered that sales threshold for them (my guess is that the only reason Nintendo released Xenoblade in North America is because Gamestop stepped in to help mitigate the financial risk). And, as has been previously mentioned, both games benefited from a major, high profile grassroots campaign that was entirely orchestrated by fans well in advance of their respective releases. XSEED/TLS as well probably benefited a great deal by piggybacking off the name brand/reputation of a very high profile publisher like Nintendo, a situation that is not really common and one which was probably not an insignificant factor in why TLS was a success for them.

Cheddahz

Banned
The success for XSEED is well deserved, this has to be the best JRPG I've played in years (yes, I think it's even better than Xenoblade)

Imagine if NoA pushed this game, marketed it more, and did that amazing first-print packaging.

Good for Xseed! Would love to see more future Wii U RPGs from Japan get localized!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I have this game for the longest time but I haven't even touched it outside from playing it for just like, 10 minutes or so.

...Now I feel bad.

klee123

Good to hear. However I'm not surprised that it ended up being the most successful title for them since they didn't have to translate it at all.

It's a bit like Atlus and Demon's Souls.

Top Bottom