• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Valve ruined TF2?

No. not at all. The Medic whoring was totally expected and it WILL die down rather quickly, plus i dont mind having lots of medics on a team anyway. It's win win for me.

Your redundant opinion was totally worthy of a new thread btw. *rollseyes*

Woo-Fu

Banned
painey said:
arent the TF2 PC achievements even more useless than XBOX ones? No universal system for PC games and no gamerscore.

To somebody who is in it for the e-peen, yes they are worthless.

For somebody who actually plays games to have fun, they are worth it. Fortunately, thanks to Microsoft's Achievement/Gamerscore initiative, lots of people don't play games to have fun nowadays, they just play for gamerscore.

Mind over matter, in the form of marketing. Brilliant.

As far as the current influx of medics, it could have easily been prevented by releasing all of the classes at once instead of just the medic. Valve must have decided it was worth having a public beta of the behind the scenes changes that make the new achievements/unlocks possible.

Play on a server with decent admins and you'll find the people who are placing achievements > teamplay will get kicked. Plenty of empty servers where they can go and boost themselves, while the people who actually enjoy playing the game can do so without their interference.

pj

Banned
My problem is that a lot of the achievements seem really hard, and I doubt I'll ever get a good lot of them.

I don't think valve ruined the game, though. They're trying something new. If it doesn't work, they won't do it again

GameGamer said:
I do think TF2 completely lost it's way and is badly balanced.

If there is a TF3 I hope it's nothing like TF2.

Yes Team Fortress 2 is badly balance because QTF and TFC were badly balanced. The game has never been about balance and some of the growing pains hurting TF2 has been Valve's efforts to balance classes. I think they are realizing there inital efforts was hurting the game.

TF2 was a game about wacky fun and you know what, seeing a team with 8 medics actually makes me laugh and i kind of like that about TF. Sometimes its stupid and thats good.

As for TF3... well I'm 38 and I'm not sure I'll be alive by the time Valve produces TF3. Maybe I should get frozen and thawed out in 100 years? ;)

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
GameGamer said:

B-b-but he's right.

You are onverreacting, "completely lost its way"? If we knew Valve was not going to further support the game, maybe. But IT'S A WORK IN PROGRESS!!! Wait until the extra weapons get to the rest of the lineup and new map come along...

OK, the achievment part is messing with the community. People who would never use Medic are joining only to get the achievemnts and try out the new weapons. JUST WAIT OR FIND SERVERS WITH A DECENT POPULATION! Geeeez

Davidion

GameGamer said:
I do think TF2 completely lost it's way and is badly balanced.

If there is a TF3 I hope it's nothing like TF2.

No, actually TF2 is very balanced. I don't know what crack people are smoking saying this about TF2 coming off of TFC.

This new achievements nonsense is completely unnecessary BS, however. Though it's hardly "ruined" the game.

Volcynika

While it's....annoying that some medics will sit there and do nothing when I'm a pyro or something and about to die and scream MEDIC, it happened before the achievements. But seriously, saying that Valve ruined the game seems a way too bit overboard to me.

It's a pretty balanced game, but I'm still not sure about crits + soldiers winning against pyro at point blank annoys the hell outta me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Mistouze said:
You are onverreacting, "completely lost its way"? If we knew Valve was not going to further support the game, maybe. But IT'S A WORK IN PROGRESS!!! Wait until the extra weapons get to the rest of the lineup and new map come along...

Why did Valve of all companies, feel the need to rush out the extra weapons for one class ahead of everyone else?

Kind of weird considering Valve threw out the entire TF2 game three or four times, and they threw out both Half-Life games IIRC to start from scratch. Yet they rush out these new weapons for one class like its a MMO in beta 2 weeks from shipping...

LCGeek

formerly sane
Well now valve's you say is going for a 3rd fps to butcher for no real reason not surprised to say the least as they did it to cs and dod first. Wish more would call em on it but the popular base of valve consumers are really dumb and don't use any of their power.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
diffusionx said:
Why did Valve of all companies, feel the need to rush out the extra weapons for one class ahead of everyone else?

Kind of weird considering Valve threw out the entire TF2 game three or four times, and they threw out both Half-Life games IIRC to start from scratch. Yet they rush out these new weapons for one class like its a MMO in beta 2 weeks from shipping...
Because nobody was playing the medic class, it needed some stimulation to keep it balanced.

GameGamer

Mistouze said:

I'm trying to like TF2. I've got over 20 game play hours in so far.

There is just something wrong with it IMO.

You also have to factor in the wait time on the release of this game.

I waited and waited for this and considering the time they had to work on it, it's junk IMO.

Kifimbo

GameGamer said:

I waited and waited for this and considering the time they had to work on it, it's junk IMO.

Then what is wrong with the game ? Stop saying "It's junk" and "I'll wait for TF3" and explain what you don't like, why it's unbalanced and what is wrong with the game. Since you played 20 hours, you should be able to do that, unless you are here to troll.

nestea

GameGamer said:

Just because you don't like the game doesn't mean there is something wrong with the game, it just means there is something wrong with your expectations. Maybe you don't like the cartoon visuals or the team based gameplay but considering how many people love the game and the amount of great reviews the game has gotten, you cannot say the game is junk.

Mr_Moogle said:
So every server I go to....theres medics everywhere just standing around farming their achievements. Wtf is this shit? What happened to actually playing the game?

Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to put achievements in a multiplayer game anyway? This totally panders to the losers out there who play 12 hours a day. I only have time to play casually and now I'm at a huge disadvantage.

I know they wanted more people playing the medic but this is just ridiculous. Maybe it wouldnt be such a big deal if they had achievements for every class but it'll probably be months before we see an update like that.

Seriously Valve. You fucked it up.
Who are you? Why did you make another thread that is not GTA4 related?

BTW, in the future use the official thread or at least the "OTHER" TF2 thread--- there's no need for another topic about your single opinion of Team Fortress 2.

PatzCU

This is like saying Blizzard ruined WoW with TBC because right after it was released there were tons of Blood Elf Paladins and Draeni Shamans. The same thing will happen with WotLK and Death Knights.

In fact, this is going to happen to every class that gets a new weapon patch in TF2. It will calm down in a week or so. For now, enjoy the massive amount of heals and play a Heavy or Soldier.

Dina

Valve has never ever got balance right. They could learn a thing or two from either Epic or the Blizzard of old. That said, online achievement linked to lockable weapons really do suck hard.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The problem is vale stupidly released these upgrades JUST for medic. This never should have been implemented until they had upgrades ready to go for all (Or even half) of the jobs. Then the balance of job would remain much more intact.

IzumiK

Banned
They ruined the game in other was, like...
DrForester said:
The problem is vale stupidly released these upgrades JUST for medic. This never should have been implemented until they had upgrades ready to go for all (Or even half) of the jobs. Then the balance of job would remain much more intact.
Yeah, he got it. The shit they added in or taken out.

I'd rather play good ol TFC because the funny drawings and characters doesn't sell to me.

IzumiK said:
They ruined the game in other was, like...

Yeah, he got it. The shit they added in or taken out.

I'd rather play good ol TFC because the funny drawings and characters doesn't sell to me.
Then go play TFC. No one is forcing you to play TF2.

Mr_Moogle said:
So every server I go to....theres medics everywhere just standing around farming their achievements. Wtf is this shit? What happened to actually playing the game?

Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to put achievements in a multiplayer game anyway? This totally panders to the losers out there who play 12 hours a day. I only have time to play casually and now I'm at a huge disadvantage.

I know they wanted more people playing the medic but this is just ridiculous. Maybe it wouldnt be such a big deal if they had achievements for every class but it'll probably be months before we see an update like that.

Acheivements? facepalm.jpg

At least PC TF2 is safe.

firex

Seems like GAF's Bad Taste Team are the only ones who hate TF2, which is not surprising since it's an awesome game.

Jacobi

Banned
DrForester said:
Word! I have the feeling though we'll see the next Upgrade in one year for one class

Dina

zaccheus said:
youre going to have to remember that 90% of gaf are gamers that suck at games

My eurocup title has a different opinion. For real though, the criticals were your first clue.

Sushen

Mr_Moogle said:

COD4 people hit the nail on the head for that matter. In an interview with GameInformer, the designer answered the question of "why there was no multiplayer achievements?" by saying that "do you really want to try to get 1000 headshots to get 15 points?".

I used to care about achievement points a lot, but now when I choose the platform to play my game on, I check achievement points and if it's a chore, I pick ps3 version instead, which could be ruined once Home with its own achievement system comes out.

There are games and game modes that I really don't feel like worrying about the scores and just enjoy the experience; all the achievement scores on 360 jRPGs are stupid at best, for example.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Dina said:
My eurocup title has a different opinion. For real though, the criticals were your first clue.

The game might not be what you expect of a team based FPS, I understand you might feel Valve "dumbed down" TF2 so that people who suck like me can enjoy it.

Dina

PillowKnight said:
So having a eurocup title allows you to see right through TF2's balance. Amazing.

Mistouze said:
The game might not be what you expect of a team based FPS, I understand you might feel Valve "dumbed down" TF2 so that people who suck like me can enjoy it.

Nothing of the sort. I shouldn't have replied to that troll claiming that skills and knowing something about balance are somehow linked. Foolish on my part. Yes they dumbed it down somewhat (the nade game is pretty much gone) but it's still a fairly enjoyable game, even with the flaws (nade game, crits, etc). I am/was a pretty big TFC fan and with TF2 they clearly reached a bigger audience. I feel like TFC was the better game, but it's good for the TF-playing crowd that it got so much bigger now.

Eitherway, I'll leave this thread now. Let me close by saying that they haven't ruined it by any means. It's just not TFCv2 and that makes me sad.

dionysus

Yaldog
I just hope for the next classes valve allows people who just want to buy the weapons do it for 2 dollars instead of achievement farming. I'd totally do it.

Yall can commence crucifying me now.

Dina said:
Nothing of the sort. I shouldn't have replied to that troll claiming that skills and knowing something about balance are somehow linked. Yes they dumbed it down somewhat (the nade game is pretty much gone) but it's still a fairly enjoyable game, even with the flaws (nade game, crits, etc). I am/was a pretty big TFC fan and with TF2 they clearly reached a bigger audience. I feel like TFC was the better game, but it's good for the TFC-playing crowd that it got so much bigger now.

Eitherway, I'll leave this thread now. Let me close by saying that they haven't ruined it by any means. It's just not TFCv2 and that makes me sad.
Ok, that makes sense, no need to complain about the balance though.

ToxicAdam

Valve only cares about making games fun (ie. accessible) .. they don't care about balance or the competitive community. Once you accept this, you can begin to enjoy their latest efforts (TF2, DODS and CSS).

It's sad they have went this way (because I used to enjoy the competitve aspects of their original mods) .. but that's how it is.

IzumiK

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Valve only cares about making games fun (ie. accessible) .. they don't care about balance or the competitive community. Once you accept this, you can begin to enjoy their latest efforts (TF2, DODS and CSS).

It's sad they have went this way (because I used to enjoy the competitve aspects of their original mods) .. but that's how it is.
Fun is quite subjective.

Damn your version of fun, Valve.

Hope Valve doesn't touch Natural Selection 2.

Twig

Banned
Saying TF2 is unbalanced just makes you look stupid. Stop playing with idiots.
dionysus said:
I just hope for the next classes valve allows people who just want to buy the weapons do it for 2 dollars instead of achievement farming. I'd totally do it.

Yall can commence crucifying me now.
The day Valve starts charging microtransactions is the day all hope is lost.

ToxicAdam said:

If Team Fortress 2 isn't balanced I want you to lay it on me. What about it is unbalanced? Don't say crits, because you can play on servers without them.

Which classes are unbalanced? Which classes are actually bad? I see all of the classes getting good rotation, and any of them can top the score chart, so at what point does the balance get tipsy?

Top Bottom