• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

Orayn

I think what's really important here, and I'm sure it's been mentioned a million times, is the fact that the 720 and PS4 are using relatively similar architecture, so ports should be of much closer quality.

This could also mean much better PC ports, especially if Durango is using the Windows kernel and DirectX!

I dont think Im understanding this right. What is the point of wasting DDR5 on OS shit? Can someone explain that to me?

If Im not dumb, I feel like we're missing some info about the RAM for Orbis.

prwxv3

Nintendo always makes consoles that sell Nintendo games and third parties are a huge afterthought. This time its bit different considering Nintendo promised that they would be trying hard to get third parties on board. And it looks like they are fucking them over at this point.

Respawn

Banned
I dont think Im understanding this right. What is the point of wasting DDR5 on OS shit? Can someone explain that to me?

A while back it was said there would be separate ram for os but hey all rumors at this point.

Tagg9

You do realize that in terms of RAM, Sony's is "stronger" than Microsoft's, right?

Both are very powerful consoles so I don't see where the disappointment is coming from.

In simple terms, it's like having 8 250ml water bottles, or 4 500ml water bottle. Which one will you get? Depends on your carrying/drinking habits. Both are equally powerful.

Not really an accurate analogy. I think most devs would argue bandwidth speed is more important than the amount of RAM.

It's like having two delivery companies. The first delivery company has 4 sports cars. The second company has 8 vans. While the second company can service more customers overall, the first delivery company is able to provide faster and more reliable delivery to customers that will pay more for the service.

Zophar

This could also mean much better PC ports, especially if Durango is using the Windows kernel and DirectX!

I am curious what kind of overhead Kinect 2.0 is going to require. Unless I am mistaken (or in the dark!), Orbis is looking to be a more conventional platform than Wii U or Xbox + Kinect is, I wonder if that will lead to discrepancies of another nature.

Truespeed

Disappointing, if that's the case.

I don't understand why Nintendo didn't see this coming. Surely, with all the momentum gained from the Wii, it would have been wise to go all out like Sony/Microsoft with a Wii 2 instead of some tablet hybrid called Wii U.

Seems like Nintendo is really lacking in foresight. It made sense for them to try something radically different with Wii. Not so much this time.

Nintendo was never about specs and they had the foresight to know they'd lose if they ever played that game. They focus on innovation, games and actually making a profit on their hardware.

What GPGPU patent ? Where ?

From one of the past threads. I'm not lying though. I remember the words main GPU and discrete GPU were tossed around. I have no idea what any of this means, but I'm assuming two GPU's on the same die qualifies as GPGPU.

Anyway, about two months ago there was a thread with a chip blueprint that had two GPU's and an individual CPU. The patent said one GPU would be significantly stronger than the other. However, the patent never stated for what product the chip was going to be used for and so the majority of posters in the thread speculated that it wasn't for PS4.

Not really an accurate analogy. I think most devs would argue bandwidth speed is more important than the amount of RAM.

It's like having two delivery companies. The first delivery company has 4 sports cars. The second company has 8 vans. While the second company can service more customers overall, the first delivery company is able to provide faster and more reliable delivery to customers that will pay more for the service.

Where would EDRAM or whatever it is fit in this analogy?

Wide bus, edram, the AMD Pre-emption, or a mix of them. Could be anything. Edram for sure.

rdrr gnr

Spell it out to me in English doc. How many PS3s taped together?
iirc, from a previous thread, it's something like 6-8x the performance of current gen systems (I think the metric was FLOPs -- so take what you will from that) but since it's more efficient (in part) tech and 5+ years later -- functionally, it does represent a significant generational leap.

Man, I was hoping to scoop up the 720, enjoy that for a few months and then scoop up the PS4 a few months later ... then ride it out in gaming bliss. This is going to be a heavy front end because you can't just NOT get them when they launch. Jeez.

Persona86

Banned
Nintendo always makes consoles that sell Nintendo games and third parties are a huge afterthought. This time its bit different considering Nintendo promised that they would be trying hard to get third parties on board. And it looks like they are fucking them over at this point.

Bayonetta 2.

A while back it was said there would be separate ram for os but hey all rumors at this point.

That would make more sense, even though Im not sure how that would practically work.

That would also make me very happy. 4 GB of DDR5 for games is fucking awesome.

Verendus

Banned
Nintendo was never about specs and they had the foresight to know they'd lose if they ever played that game. They focus on innovation, games and actually making a profit on their hardware.
This is nonsense. They've never been light footed on power until the Wii.

00062516.gif

WTF...is...that

Yeah, that's a better example. Thanks!

Reallink

Wii U downports are still possible.

So which would require more effort/cost, significant down ports of PS420 fare or side ports of PS360 fare? Clearly we aren't getting much of the latter, which is concerning for downports (which I imagine would be more difficult given its struggles with even current gen stuff).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
8 GB DDR3 for Xbox3? That destroys the credibility. You don't put a modern fast GPU on that little bandwidth no matter how much magical ED RAM TM you have.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Well if the specs for both consoles are real I'm kind of disappointed. Kind of because I actually expected them to be 'not so strong', specially Sony's console, after all the money they've been losing (considering all of Sony's business).

But I like it that Durango probably has 8GB of RAM. 4GB for the Orbis sounds too low imo.

mother of god....this shit has to stop.

ugoo18

So which would require more effort/cost, significant down ports of PS420 fare or side ports of PS360 fare? Clearly we aren't getting much of the latter, which is concerning for downports (which I imagine would be more difficult given its struggles with even current gen stuff).

In an ideal world wouldn't it be much more profitable to use the WiiU as a baseline and port upwards PS2 style to the PS4/720.

That way you have access to all 3 userbases and 100% of the market.

Baki

In an ideal world wouldn't it be much more profitable to use the WiiU as a baseline and port upwards PS2 style to the PS4/720.

That way you have access to all 3 userbases and 100% of the market.

In an ideal world, Nintendo wouldn't have sabotaged itself by using 2006 tech.

iirc, from a previous thread, it's something like 6-8x the performance of current gen systems (I think the metric was FLOPs -- so take what you will from that) but since it's more efficient (in part) tech and 5+ years later -- functionally, it does represent a significant generational leap.
What does it represent in terms of accomplishing some of the early tech demos we have seen. Unreal Engine 4, Luminous engine etc.? Is it in that ball park?

CLEEK

From what I understand, the added complexity of putting a separate DDR3 chip into the single SoC package would be cost prohibitive. It would also increase the risk of low yields, and if any of the components are faulty, the entire SoC is binned. Remember, this time around, the PS4 will be having a single 'chip' containing CPU, GPU and RAM. Not a bunch of separate chips soldered to a motherboard.

Valnen

Really hoping the Nextbox and PS4 are as even as they look, that way PS4 doesn't get the shaft on some multi-plats again.
Let's just say if these Durango/Orbis specs are true, Wii U is fucked. (Ports wise)

Been saying this for awhile now. Wii U is going to be a repeat of the Wii, it's not going to get any of the good multi-plats.

CLEEK

Well, the PS3 only got shitty ports this gen due to one or more of the following: shitty devs, UE3 running better on the 360, or the 360 being the lead platform. There have been plenty of multi platform games where the 360 and PS3 versions are the same, or the PS3 version being the best. Differences just came down to priority and ability.

Even if the PS4 is more powerful, if devs target the Xbox3 as their lead platform, it could end up with better versions.

sp3000

Well, the PS3 only got shitty ports this gen due to one or more of the following: shitty devs, UE3 running better on the 360, or the 360 being the lead platform. There have been plenty of multi platform games where the 360 and PS3 versions are the same, or the PS3 version being the best. Differences just came down to priority and ability.

Even if the PS4 is more powerful, if devs target the Xbox3 as their lead platform, it could end up with better versions.

The reason PS3 got ports in the first place was because it was impossible to program the Cell until Sony released proper tools.

Now both Microsoft and Sony use x86 so porting should be very easy.

Personally I'll buy whichever console is more expensive, larger, and powerful.

Reiko

Banned
The reason PS3 got ports in the first place was because it was impossible to program the Cell until Sony released proper tools.

Now both Microsoft and Sony use x86 so porting should be very easy.

Yep. No more Bluray storage space shenanigans too.

the only thing about capacity that should be considered is that there won't be as much room to store assets. it suggests sony wants to move forward with more streaming solutions. it also makes me curious as to what kind of hard drive it will pack, as well as what the read speed of the BD drive will be. fast, high bandwidth ram will need to be fed assets quickly.

AFAIK, the 360's DVD drive could ramp up to higher overall read speeds, where as the BD drive in the PS3 read at a steady, albeit moderate, rate. if sony can tackle both the BD read speed and put a quality hard drive in each PS4 they could make it easier for devs to incorporate asset streaming tech developed over the last handful of years.

then the capacity difference won't matter much, to sony and/or PS4 devs.

prwxv3

Question for you tech dudes. Do the specs the point to a system that is not over engineered unlike the PS3 was or is it too soon to tell?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Question for you tech dudes. Do the specs the point to a system that is not over engineered unlike the PS3 was or is it too soon to tell?

General specs seem fine. Medium/strong GPU, plenty of RAM, single RAM pool. I only doubt the 8 GB DDR3 for Xbox3. See the images above comparing GPU performance between a weak ass GPU for email checkers, and a medium GPU. Notice the medium GPU gets a bigger hit. A high end GPU would be crippled by DDR3. Either Xbox3's GPU is weak or it's a potential design flaw (I'm not buying the magical ED RAM argument).

Just saw this....

Ig6NM.gif

LOL, Wii U has yet to beat 360.

Top Bottom